TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Can the "bump/grind" be defeated ??

I started to experience a slight grind with cold transmission going from 1st to 2nd (occassionally 2nd to 3rd) at about 2,000 miles. I decided to try (before starting up my car) manually shifting from 1st to 2nd a couple of times and then after starting it up, letting the car idle in neutral for 2-3 minutes before starting out. I have experienced zero shifting problems since trying out this procedure. I was wondering if anybody else has tried anything like this or what their results were?

I know that going through some procedure such as this for a $50,000 + car is pretty sad, but I just wanted to see if anybody else has any experience with this?

I might add that I have not experienced any clutch problems as of yet.

I started to experience a slight grind with cold transmission going from 1st to 2nd (occassionally 2nd to 3rd) at about 2,000 miles. I decided to try (before starting up my car) manually shifting from 1st to 2nd a couple of times and then after starting it up, letting the car idle in neutral for 2-3 minutes before starting out. I have experienced zero shifting problems since trying out this procedure. I was wondering if anybody else has tried anything like this or what their results were?

I know that going through some procedure such as this for a $50,000 + car is pretty sad, but I just wanted to see if anybody else has any experience with this?

I am sorry we can't answer any questions off post #1. Welcome to SU. and you must first post pics of your car and then we will help!!!

There have been issues with the car in colder tempatures, other issues related to the clutch and grease on the input shaft and some tranny's that have been replaced. You may find some info from doing a search or reading previous posts (you may need to go back a few months or pages) related to transmissions and clutches or also see if there are any dealer service tech advisories on this as yet. Shelby dude works at a dealership and has access to this kind of information and he is also very knowledgable and helpful. send him a pm.

Hey Ten! Welcome! :happy feet:

I'd like to be of help, but we grilled out yesterday and had the top down for a ride around town. If it ever gets cold here I'll pay attention to what you said and holler if I get it.

regal is right, the advanced search is a great tool, I'd start with the tech forum and work out from there.

Happy New Year!

I am sorry we can't answer any questions off post #1. Welcome to SU. and you must first post pics of your car and then we will help!!!

There have been issues with the car in colder tempatures, other issues related to the clutch and grease on the input shaft and some tranny's that have been replaced. You may find some info from doing a search or reading previous posts (you may need to go back a few months or pages) related to transmissions and clutches or also see if there are any dealer service tech advisories on this as yet. Shelby dude works at a dealership and has access to this kind of information and he is also very knowledgable and helpful. send him a pm.

I'll be happy to post pics of my car, did I do it right? If not, can you tell me how to?

Even though I just signed up on the forum, I have been monitoring this forum for over a year. So I'm up to date on past correspondences concerning the clutch/ tranny issues.

post-10651-1198687406_thumb.jpg

post-10651-1198687406_thumb.jpg

I started to experience a slight grind with cold transmission going from 1st to 2nd (occasionally 2nd to 3rd) at about 2,000 miles. I decided to try (before starting up my car) manually shifting from 1st to 2nd a couple of times and then after starting it up, letting the car idle in neutral for 2-3 minutes before starting out. I have experienced zero shifting problems since trying out this procedure. I was wondering if anybody else has tried anything like this or what their results were?

I'm in the same boat, I have 12k miles on it and it's getting very knotchy from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, but no grinding yet, but I expect it soon. Up until 500 miles ago, it shifted perfect. I've kept up on the forum pretty good concerning the clutch and tranny issues and I'm 99 % sure it's the input shaft (corrosion) causing our problems. There was a member here that posted the dealer just took the input shaft out, polished it, new grease and was good as new. But the best thing is to check and see if ford has nickel plated one to replace it.

Scott

If you have mods on your car like a 2.6 or whatever, will a dealership still try and fix this issue under warranty?

I mean adding power will not do anything to further harm the clutch/tranny if once taken apart it can be proven that you had the wrong grease and/or whatever else you guys mentioned has been causing this issue, input shaft or whatever?

I started to experience a slight grind with cold transmission going from 1st to 2nd (occassionally 2nd to 3rd) at about 2,000 miles. I decided to try (before starting up my car) manually shifting from 1st to 2nd a couple of times and then after starting it up, letting the car idle in neutral for 2-3 minutes before starting out. I have experienced zero shifting problems since trying out this procedure.

I've had no problems with mine in cold weather. If you are driving it when the outside temperature is at or below 50* degrees (fahrenhait) you should let the engine/transmission warm up to normal operating temperature (about 5 minutes). I would not do any shifting while parked when the transmission is still cold. Remember that the stock Goodyear tires on the car are not to be driven below 40* F. Check the tire information sticker on the driver side door.

Would you let a tech at a dealership pull your tranny apart to replace the input shaft?

Also my car sounds like the issue you have, but if it is real quiet arond...when I push the clutch to the floor you can hear a continual lite hissing sound. This tells me that the clutch never releases. :banghead:

The funny thing is my clutch is functioning just fine at this point in time. As soon as I push in the clutch the hissing stops, so the clutch is releasing like it should. I'm strarting to think that the clutch problem and the bump/grind are two seperate problems and not necessarily related to each other??

Would you let a tech at a dealership pull your tranny apart to replace the input shaft?

Also my car sounds like the issue you have, but if it is real quiet arond...when I push the clutch to the floor you can hear a continual lite hissing sound. This tells me that the clutch never releases. :banghead:

You don't have to tear the tranny apart to replace it, just the front cover from what I've read about it. I'd rather keep my trans instead of replacing with a new one that could even have more problems. That is, if my problem is just the input shaft.

I wish I could find the post where the member had the shaft polished and reinstalled.

Scott

Just found the post, It was from GT500tow,

(Clutch Warranty Info

I just picked my car up from dealer. Here's what they found. The input shaft was rusty. All they had to do was sand the rust off and grease the input shaft. It shifts like a new car. They didnt replace any parts at all. Very happy with the work they did. My only problem was it was hard to shift at times. It didn't do it all the time. I would say about 90% of the time it was real hard to shift and just about imposable to get into reverse. They did order the grease from Ford so it took a couple of extra days. But other then a small delay it went well. ... Big thanks to the guys at SVT.

I'll be happy to post pics of my car, did I do it right? If not, can you tell me how to?

Even though I just signed up on the forum, I have been monitoring this forum for over a year. So I'm up to date on past correspondences concerning the clutch/ tranny issues.

So you realize then that you have the fastest (and best looking) color!

CC

Can the bump and grind be defeated? Yes it can. The cure for mine is a new clutch and tranny. This is a huge disappointment for me. The fun of this car has been sucked right out of me. Ford has been trying to get me parts since Sept.and has its hands tied by the constraints of the suppliers. This has added to my frustrations.

Car looks great Tennessee - looks just like mine!

No issues yet with my tranny after 1400 miles; however yesterday I did seem to notice once having to exert a little more effort shifting into first.

Can the bump and grind be defeated? Yes it can. The cure for mine is a new clutch and tranny. This is a huge disappointment for me. The fun of this car has been sucked right out of me. Ford has been trying to get me parts since Sept.and has its hands tied by the constraints of the suppliers. This has added to my frustrations.

Grab,

I think you're starting to feel the frustration I've been feeling and talking about all along...I've had a new transmission, Alternator and two batteries...and you thought I was just a complainer.

Rip

Grab,

I think you're starting to feel the frustration I've been feeling and talking about all along...I've had a new transmission, Alternator and two batteries...and you thought I was just a complainer.

Rip

Sounds like you know how I feel about the situation. How long ago did you get the tranny replaced? I am sorry to hear of your electrical problems. I had 3 other warranty issues prior to my current problem. 1 paint blem. 2 bad seat cover. 3 defective window seal. I have never NOT had a problem with this car.

While were at it, my cars 1st and 2nd gears can be very difficult to get into even once warmed up but some times it goes in like butter.

I am not too worried yet because my clutch seems to be releasing perfectly and it hisses just when it should.

All my previous Mustangs had this peculiar 1st and 2nd issues, but only once did it turn into a nightmare for me.

I always hold off on going to the dealer to the latest possible as I don't want them ripping into something unless it is truly broken.

Overall I have not had too many issues, several paint blemishes that I can live with, body panels not quite right IMO but I fixed them myself.

Chuck, The syncros are as small as #2 pencil lead. Everytime you feel the bump and grind...you are a little closer to eventual failure. It will not take long to shave the metal off your small syncros if your clutch is not dissengaging properly. If your clutch is dissengaging properly...the gears and syncros will shift like butter.

I'm starting to think that the clutch problem and the bump/grind are two seperate problems and not necessarily related to each other??

You're wrong. IMO and personal experience the fact that the clutch is NOT fully disengaging it is causing the syncros to bump and grind. The clutch problem is causing damage to the tranny.

Grab,

I'm so completely bummed about your car. And of all the people for it to happen to.

Have you talked to SVT about it? Perhaps we should get a poll going of the different stages people are at and contact them about putting out a paper on a fix. Or preventative maint. (if there is any?) I'd much rather take mine in now and get a little work done on it.

I'm getting no grind from 1st to 2nd, but I can't really say it's harder to shift, especially if it's sit for a few days. After I drive it a little, it seems fine.

Let me know bro. And again, I'm very sorry.

I feel for the folks having problems. Hopefully it is a way small minority.

Both my '04 Cobra and the '07 Shelby had / have a bit of a balk shifting 1 - 2 when cold. I also have a T56 in my '93 Cobra and it, too, has a bit of a balk getting into second when cold. I have about 10K on the '93's T56, put 41K on the '04 Cobra, and have 26.5K on the Shelby. So that's about 80K on three different T56 trannys with a similar issue. None of them got worse. I hesistate to describe it as a 'grind', rather that the synchronizers are just reluctant to engage as quickly as I would like. Since the car is cold, I don't slam it around anyway. Problem goes away as the tranny warms up. I can't say for sure it goes completely away, I can just say that I can't recall thinking 'that sucks' on any shift after it warms up. For the record, I'ver never powershifted any of the three cars, so I can't say whether that would highlight a problem or not.

HTH. 3C :yup:

Sounds like you know how I feel about the situation. How long ago did you get the tranny replaced? I am sorry to hear of your electrical problems. I had 3 other warranty issues prior to my current problem. 1 paint blem. 2 bad seat cover. 3 defective window seal. I have never NOT had a problem with this car.

In 30+ years of owning Mustangs, I have only experienced the feeling of 100% satisfaction with ownership a few times and I'm picky as you can get. So I consider myself really lucky because it's pretty difficult to be totally satisfied with a high performance anything. Working through problems with a car like we have is normal IMO, and right about when Ford has them dialed in close to perfect, the bean counters take over and by by. I just consider these problems something that needs to get taken care of, and am happy it's under warranty.

Sometimes I loose perspective about owning a car like this and have to remind myself that it's still just a car and not near as important as it seems. Allot of patients helps and a second hot rod, better chance one of them will be driveable. :banghead:

I hear ya Blayne. My GO will Glow again, and so will yours. Does Torch Red Glow or burn?

Grabber,

Very sorry to hear about your tran issue.

I noticed a little bit of this on mine from 1st to 2nd yesterday and today for the first time..Mine is a 2008. This is

the first time it has been REALLY cold down here since I got my car. I will be keeping a very close ear, eye and feel

on it so I can see if it is a similar deal. 1625mi on mine as of today. I drove it to work today and leave work at 10 pm cst..

it should be about 35 degrees outside when I head home.. So its definately cold.. But im still driving her cause its

nice and dry outside. :happy feet:

Grabber,

Very sorry to hear about your tran issue.

I noticed a little bit of this on mine from 1st to 2nd yesterday and today for the first time..Mine is a 2008. This is

the first time it has been REALLY cold down here since I got my car. I will be keeping a very close ear, eye and feel

on it so I can see if it is a similar deal. 1625mi on mine as of today. I drove it to work today and leave work at 10 pm cst..

it should be about 35 degrees outside when I head home.. So its definately cold.. But im still driving her cause its

nice and dry outside. :happy feet:

Big S, You are the 1st one with a 2008 that I have heard express concern and state that a shifting bump is present between 1st and 2nd. What month is your build?

I feel for the folks having problems. Hopefully it is a way small minority.

Both my '04 Cobra and the '07 Shelby had / have a bit of a balk shifting 1 - 2 when cold. I also have a T56 in my '93 Cobra and it, too, has a bit of a balk getting into second when cold. I have about 10K on the '93's T56, put 41K on the '04 Cobra, and have 26.5K on the Shelby. So that's about 80K on three different T56 trannys with a similar issue. None of them got worse. I hesistate to describe it as a 'grind', rather that the synchronizers are just reluctant to engage as quickly as I would like. Since the car is cold, I don't slam it around anyway. Problem goes away as the tranny warms up. I can't say for sure it goes completely away, I can just say that I can't recall thinking 'that sucks' on any shift after it warms up. For the record, I'ver never powershifted any of the three cars, so I can't say whether that would highlight a problem or not.

HTH. 3C :yup:

It's been in the low 30s to high 20s (no such thing, really, ALL 20s are LOW!) here. Problem goes away when car is up to temp in maybe three miles. When dead cold, it feels as though the sychros are stiff and ratchet over two or three teeth before dropping into place. No real noise, just the feeling of being able to count the individual teeth on the synchro before it drops home. Clutch hisses in mid-throw, hiss apparently stops with pedal all the way to floor - hard to tell in garage over Bassanis though.

Archived