TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Can we buy the actual KR hood

wildcat

Chuck, see my comments below

You all really think that you will not be able to purchase a real authentic KR hood in the future?

>>> That is correct we have no intention of selling these hoods without the KR

I would bet the world that they will be available in the future, my guess is one year after the 08 KR is out.

>>>The KR will be the only car to have this hood, I will take that bet

Think about it, when has this been done, if you have the coin, you will be able to order the hood.

Also this is a Ford product, so SAI will not have a say in the matter IMO. This is not a mod car like the SS

>>> This is a Shelby product, This car is built with ford, we both agree or we dont do it, The hood will not be sold without the car

Ford is out to make money and if they can sell 10,000 more KR hoods and they can produce them, they will be sold!

>> Again, this is a shelby decision

Here is a thought, would Amy technically be lying if in 2010 they released a fiberglass version of the KR hood?

The carbon fiber version is the only one sold on the KR and the only way to get one is if the KR is purchased. If you are wanting a perfect retro version for a standard GT500 you wouldn't want to spend 6 grand anyway. It would likely be the same price as the SS hood $1250 with louvers. A fiberglass version will look the same, cost less and give owners the hood the car should have come out with from the start.

Shelby can choose to not sell this style hood and lose money to another company as people are already doing and this would be incredibly foolish. I can understand them releasing the CF version only with the KR, but I can't imagine them not releasing a fiberglass version in the future. Just my 2 cents, Amy?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ford/SAI also have no choice but to offer replacement hoods to KR owners for repair purposes. I stand by the statement that these hoods will show up on the open market. Perhaps not directly from SAI but they will. They will also be copied much more closely once they are in the wild. Exact reproductions should be available shortly after the KR hits the streets. There is just too much demand for this not to occur. Heck the Venom is a pretty good copy now and that is only from photos of the prototype......

www.AutoIndulgence.com

Is the company that did the LED lighting on the KR for Knight Rider. Their front page shows an email list for both the lights and the hood. It looks like they will be offering a version of the KR hood as well. :happy feet:

Ford/SAI also have no choice but to offer replacement hoods to KR owners for repair purposes. I stand by the statement that these hoods will show up on the open market. Perhaps not directly from SAI but they will. They will also be copied much more closely once they are in the wild. Exact reproductions should be available shortly after the KR hits the streets. There is just too much demand for this not to occur. Heck the Venom is a pretty good copy now and that is only from photos of the prototype......

Your right, but it will be handled the same as the scoops, they will need to be sent back for the dealer to get the repair credit, and it will be handled by Shelby, not Ford. so, the hoods will not be available

Your right, but it will be handled the same as the scoops, they will need to be sent back for the dealer to get the repair credit, and it will be handled by Shelby, not Ford. so, the hoods will not be available

I was told by a sales manager at a body shop tied to a ford dealership that I could buy the KR hood for a little less than $1K and all I needed was the serial number of the car, assuming I had a KR that had sustained front end damage. This was as of two weeks ago. In other words you have to prove the hood is going on a KR in order to get one.

Chuck, see my comments below

You all really think that you will not be able to purchase a real authentic KR hood in the future?

>>> That is correct we have no intention of selling these hoods without the KR

I would bet the world that they will be available in the future, my guess is one year after the 08 KR is out.

>>>The KR will be the only car to have this hood, I will take that bet

Think about it, when has this been done, if you have the coin, you will be able to order the hood.

Also this is a Ford product, so SAI will not have a say in the matter IMO. This is not a mod car like the SS

>>> This is a Shelby product, This car is built with ford, we both agree or we dont do it, The hood will not be sold without the car

Ford is out to make money and if they can sell 10,000 more KR hoods and they can produce them, they will be sold!

>> Again, this is a shelby decision

What a slap in the face to the owners of a regular GT500 Mustang that paid as much as $25k over to own a limited edition 2 year car with parts unique to the GT500, oh wait, they lied, the car is not limited, will be produced for 3-5 years maybe more and I know for a fact any body with a Mustang can go out and buy a GT500 hood or wheels or whatever else they may want.

Why would the KR be any different, they are just saying this now to fool those that buy the car into thinking they are buying something truly unique. I will not be fooled again.

>> Because We are limiting the car, I am not sure where you say the gt500 from ford is limited except in number, The parts, we agree

The KR is nothing but a GT500 with 373, CAI, Handling Pack, Aloca wheels, FRPP Mufflers, short shifter, and some specific design cues. Expect there to be many, many, many KR replica's out there in the near future. Sorry

>> Actually that is not true. We are doing other performance parts, the new CF splitter, the new brake ducts front and back, the specific wheels, the handling and the new exhaust.

So, I understand you want something, but the reason to not sell is to keep the cars more limited. A Gt500 is a great car, This does nothing to hurt your car, if anything I think it helps, If people could fake the GT500KR, then it would devalue the gt500. The idea is to keep all the shelby's special

Amy

The idea is to keep all the shelby's special

Amy

Like the 07 and 08 SGT Hood Scoops right??????

I was told by a sales manager at a body shop tied to a ford dealership that I could buy the KR hood for a little less than $1K and all I needed was the serial number of the car, assuming I had a KR that had sustained front end damage. This was as of two weeks ago. In other words you have to prove the hood is going on a KR in order to get one.

Tell the sales manager he's mistaken. The GT500KR hood is made from Carbon Fiber not Fiberglass like the Super Snake hood is (last I knew).

IF you wreck or damage the CF hood of your car, a Ford dealer or local Body Shop will have to send the original wrecked hood to SAI for identification & verification, and they will need to supply a VIN # of the car it came off of to SAI before any replacement hood will be sent.

SAI may also request a police report or insurance claim adjustors’ accident claim report to make sure of the legitimacy of the claim so you can’t use another VIN # from an unwrecked GT500KR sitting in a dealer showroom in case someone trys to slide a fake KR hood to them.

:hysterical:

Yeah - 2 weeks after the first KR delivery, one (maybe several) of the aftermarket hood companies will have "exact" replicas available in fiberglass or CF made from splashes of a production KR hood they took off a KR to make new molds.

Too bad the originator will loose out in the end. :cry:

The idea is to keep all the shelby's special

Amy

Like the 07 and 08 SGT Hood Scoops right??????

yes, the 07 and 08 hood scoops are not for sale either. It isn't about $$ if it was we would sell them.

Amy

This KR hood upgrade is finally getting somewhere:

Photo_042208_009.jpg

Photo_042208_010.jpg

truely hope to have it finished to display at Fun Ford Weekend on May 2.

Very nice is this a Venom hood, & what kind hhood pins are you using?

We started with a first gen Venom hood with the integral ram air and full liner. Added flush louvers, KR twist loks. You can see the recesses in the hood that they sit into.

How are the recesses added & what measurements were used to center the pins?

How are the recesses added & what measurements were used to center the pins?

Cut a hole, 2.25" diameter through the outer skin and adhere a 4" square by 1/8" steel plate to the back side of the outer skin. Drill a 9/16 hole for the pin. Centerline of the pin is on a line with the back edge of the ram air vent and centered between the edge of hood and edge hood rise at ram air vent. Rebuild the inside skin where you cut it away to place the 4" plate and recess.....The harder part is placement of the latch pin boxes to the core support. For this type hood lock the angle is just as important as the placement.

One interesting thing we found when striping the outside of the hood last night. At least on my copy, the little 'strut' on the back edge of the hood that should be centered is off center by about 1/8" Did not see it until the stripes pointed it out.....Can't fix it now. At least the only person who will see it is me or one of you guys who read this. Stripes on underside of hood are being sprayed as I type this and hopefully the hood will be on the car for its trip to FFW this evening......what a long ordeal.

Cut a hole, 2.25" diameter through the outer skin and adhere a 4" square by 1/8" steel plate to the back side of the outer skin. Drill a 9/16 hole for the pin. Centerline of the pin is on a line with the back edge of the ram air vent and centered between the edge of hood and edge hood rise at ram air vent. Rebuild the inside skin where you cut it away to place the 4" plate and recess.....The harder part is placement of the latch pin boxes to the core support. For this type hood lock the angle is just as important as the placement.

One interesting thing we found when striping the outside of the hood last night. At least on my copy, the little 'strut' on the back edge of the hood that should be centered is off center by about 1/8" Did not see it until the stripes pointed it out.....Can't fix it now. At least the only person who will see it is me or one of you guys who read this. Stripes on underside of hood are being sprayed as I type this and hopefully the hood will be on the car for its trip to FFW this evening......what a long ordeal.

Personally, I would only consider buying a Carbon Fiber hood, as the car is heavy enough as it is. If it is more than $2000.00 I will be looking somewhere else. If Shelby inc doesn't want to sell it I am sure aftermarket will step in. It is fairly simple, if there is demand someone will supply.

As for keeping the KR unique or any of that stuff, well the serial number and Invoice is what proves it is what it is.

As for lawsuits, well you can always have someone custom build it for you. Not too sure Shelby could sue over a hood. If they mass market the sale, well their is some potential for copy right infringement. However, all they have to do is better the design some way and presto copyright is not applicable. A simple mod on the inside where no one can really see is all it takes.

• 5 months later...
Guys, your right, there will be fake kits out there, we have already shut down half a dozen, see we own the patent on this car and its parts and we along with Ford will dilligently stop anyone who makes these parts. This protects us, Ford and the people who buy the cars.

You have a Shelby Gt500, why would you slap on fake parts made by someone else?

Amy

Amy,

Is there going to be any change in the status of purchasing a KR hood for a GT-500?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Amy,

Is there going to be any change in the status of purchasing a KR hood for a GT-500?

How many times do we have to go through this. The KR is a Limited Edition! Only the KR gets 540 HP! Only the KR gets the KR mufflers! Only the KR gets the updated suspension!

Wait...2010 GT500...540HP, Updated suspension...you say the mufflers are available from Ford?

Well. The hood is special.

How many times do we have to go through this. The KR is a Limited Edition! Only the KR gets 540 HP! Only the KR gets the KR mufflers! Only the KR gets the updated suspension!

Wait...2010 GT500...540HP, Updated suspension...you say the mufflers are available from Ford?

Well. The hood is special.

They'd probably make a killing on these things :shift:

Holly crap! Tell us how you feel about the classics. Those HP numbers are off the mark and far from the truth.

180 rwhp is in the ballpark of what they made. Even a good tuned one in stock form would not make more than 230rwhp.

290 fwhp (flywheel) and a 100hp loss would be 190rwhp. I have dynoed enough Fords in stock form both engine dyno and chassis dyno to know what the hp loss is. SImply thats all they made. I have owned my share of Boss 302's to know (still have one too)(building engine for it this week)(348 cubes)

The Boss 302's in stock form were simply dogs with a low 15 sec time typical where a very high 14 second time possible but not common.

Low end power was pretty much missing in action. A very good running 426 Hemi would have a hard time making 300rwhp in stock form.

Archived