TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT Hood Pins

I did yesterday and it was a custom fab install. They should have the kit better set up. With the thickness of the new pins, the angle of the hood and the arc of the hood hinge point, they should make the kit more installer friendly. Some would be lost. :banghead: The end result is very nice.

Yeah the curve in the hood right there makes the whole install a PITA. They do look great when done though.

I felt like the problem was the hood curve, the pin height, and the bcket design. Did you have to modify your brackets? I bent them and cut slots for proper placement.

I too had a tad of modding to do. I posted in the other forum,what I did. I used a round rasp file on the hood,and I had to bend the brackets,to get things lined up. Lastly I adjusted the height.

I did yesterday and it was a custom fab install. They should have the kit better set up. With the thickness of the new pins, the angle of the hood and the arc of the hood hinge point, they should make the kit more installer friendly. Some would be lost. :banghead: The end result is very nice.

I installed the black ones two days ago. I would like to shoot the individual at Shelby which originally drilled out the holes on the right side for the original plate. He or she drilled it out and pushed the hood in and at an angle where the lower left hole was drilled out. I had to take it to a friend at a body shop and we pulled it out enough to fit the new plates on. I spent about 8 hours on these, but the final result was great.

I installed the black ones two days ago. I would like to shoot the individual at Shelby which originally drilled out the holes on the right side for the original plate. He or she drilled it out and pushed the hood in and at an angle where the lower left hole was drilled out. I had to take it to a friend at a body shop and we pulled it out enough to fit the new plates on. I spent about 8 hours on these, but the final result was great.

Would love to see pics of the black ones installed.

Seems like the norm. Did you have to bend your brackets? Any extra drilling or bracket mods? :waiting:

Yes...I had to bend the brackets a bit to make the fit. I did not have to do much else, like I hear others had to do. It just took forever to get the correct alignment.

Would love to see pics of the black ones installed.

I will try to get pics for next week. Now that I put the black ones on a black car, I can honestly say I wish I would have put the other ones on, but what can I say, it was a christmas gift.. I think the black hood pins would look good on the white SGTs

I will try to get pics for next week. Now that I put the black ones on a black car, I can honestly say I wish I would have put the other ones on, but what can I say, it was a christmas gift.. I think the black hood pins would look good on the white SGTs

I bet they look good though...I have the billet ones..and they look great...but I do like the black ones too.

At least the hard part is done..you could always swap them out every so often lol.

I feel just the opposite. I installed the silver billet and they did not have the black avalible. I would have perfered the black. :banghead:

I feel just the opposite. I installed the silver billet and they did not have the black avalible. I would have perfered the black. :banghead:

Seems to me that you and azquadz need to work out a trade :doh:

Jim

Seems to me that you and azquadz need to work out a trade :doh:

Jim

i installed the billet hood pins today.they could have done a better job manufacturing

this product.it take to long and the alinement is terrible.to much modification to make work right does look much better though when finished.

I installed the billet ones in about a 1/2 hour, no problem. I had to bend the posts forward a bit and line up the posts with the pins. What I did was line up the pins so that they don't bounce around in the holes, I did this by leaving some pressure from the hood itself against the pins. When you have to take them out you push ever so gently down on the hood and they pull right out. Any time you install a product on a car your always going to have to do some tweaking. :superhero:

Did you replace the thin chrome ones that came stock with the billet kit from Shelby? If so did the four holes line up. Mine has the stock ones but people messing with it at the dealership caused them to be pretty beat up due to opening the hood without pulling the pins so I need to replace them.

Thanks,

Carroll

Did you replace the thin chrome ones that came stock with the billet kit from Shelby? If so did the four holes line up. Mine has the stock ones but people messing with it at the dealership caused them to be pretty beat up due to opening the hood without pulling the pins so I need to replace them.

Thanks,

Carroll

Carroll, they should line up. Mine did.

After reading every post I could find regarding installation of the new Shelby Billet hood pin set I decided to bite the bullet and replace my stock pins with the billet set Santa brought for Christmas. I read that installation takes from 30 minutes to all day! Being a bit of a perfectionist (some say anal) and more than a little leery about taking a large rasp file to my new Shelby hood, I figured I could do the job in 2 maybe 3 days :hysterical: Some had left the old base plates and posts in while others here replaced the base plates. Comparing the old with the new I saw the new plates had the post holes about ½ inch forward of the old (stock) base plates. I replaced the plates with the new ones. I replaced the plates and pins one side first and then the other. The first side required quite a bit of enlarging the hole in the hood. Remember that rasp file I dreaded using :banghead: I elongated the hole and then cleaned it up using the Dremel. Then I adjusted the angle of the post slightly. I found the best way to do this (bend the base plate) is to slip a box end 3/4 inch wrench over the post with a rag between them and bend using pressure on the wrench. It makes slight adjustments much easier than using pliers on the base plate plus there’s no danger of scratching the paint on the base plate. Remember I said I was anal :hysterical: The other side went much faster. Just a slight amount of work with the rasp file and some adjusting of the post and I was ready to adjust the height of the posts. I used stormeaston’s advise and adjusted the height so there was just slight pressure on the pin with the hood closed, keeping everything tight. Just slight downward pressure of the hood to insert or remove the pin. The job took me about 2 hours, looks much better than stock and now there’s no worry about some yo-yo opening the hood without first removing the pins resulting in dented hood plates. Jim Happy! I hope this helps anyone on the fence about doing this install.

Jim

So it does make it turns out beeter if you use the new brackets and pins :happy feet:

After reading every post I could find regarding installation of the new Shelby Billet hood pin set I decided to bite the bullet and replace my stock pins with the billet set Santa brought for Christmas. I read that installation takes from 30 minutes to all day! Being a bit of a perfectionist (some say anal) and more than a little leery about taking a large rasp file to my new Shelby hood, I figured I could do the job in 2 maybe 3 days :hysterical: Some had left the old base plates and posts in while others here replaced the base plates. Comparing the old with the new I saw the new plates had the post holes about ½ inch forward of the old (stock) base plates. I replaced the plates with the new ones. I replaced the plates and pins one side first and then the other. The first side required quite a bit of enlarging the hole in the hood. Remember that rasp file I dreaded using :banghead: I elongated the hole and then cleaned it up using the Dremel. Then I adjusted the angle of the post slightly. I found the best way to do this (bend the base plate) is to slip a box end 3/4 inch wrench over the post with a rag between them and bend using pressure on the wrench. It makes slight adjustments much easier than using pliers on the base plate plus there’s no danger of scratching the paint on the base plate. Remember I said I was anal :hysterical: The other side went much faster. Just a slight amount of work with the rasp file and some adjusting of the post and I was ready to adjust the height of the posts. I used stormeaston’s advise and adjusted the height so there was just slight pressure on the pin with the hood closed, keeping everything tight. Just slight downward pressure of the hood to insert or remove the pin. The job took me about 2 hours, looks much better than stock and now there’s no worry about some yo-yo opening the hood without first removing the pins resulting in dented hood plates. Jim Happy! I hope this helps anyone on the fence about doing this install.

Jim

"So it does make it turns out beeter if you use the new brackets and pins"

Can't say for sure Dennis but with the difference in length to the posts I believe using the new supplied base plates would cause you to have to bend the post less than using the old base plate. It's an easy swap, just 2 bolts per plate. But some have used the original plates with good results. Hope this helps.

Jim

After all this I found out that the 08's will come with the upgrades instead of the 07 stock ones!

HA HA HA....classic. Good though and they should. Those Shelby ones looks gnarly. I'd love to upgrade mine but after seeing what is involved there is no way.

I'll buy some one a pizza and a six-pack if they want to do mine. :)

Archived