TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007 Shelby GT

BUICK468

I am new to the forum and have recently been looking for a Shelby GT. From what I have read it should NOT be referred to as a 350 GT? Just trying to learn here, that is what the dealer called it. Exactly what all do you get for the extra $ over a GT? The horsepower gain seems minimal over a stock GT so I am guessing it is mostly appearance items? Does anyone have any stock rear wheel dyno numbers? I have been qouted a price of 36068.00 for a 5 speed White 2007 with 0 miles. Does that sound like a good deal or should I wait as it seems that there are quite a few left over with the 08's coming out. In 08 aren't they suppose to be only available in Blue? Also the dealer has two , one seems to be a very early version 016#? and the other is 4###. Would buying the later version be better due to the scoop and hood pin issue's? Sorry to sound so stupid about these cars, just wanting to make an informed decision....

Thanks

Buick, welcome to the forum and family. There a lot of great people here and all are full of lots of info.

Where do I start?

1) Read the posts on this forum and the Shelby GT one on shelbyautos.com. There are other really good ones too out there but the Shelby Autos (SAI) forum will be merged with this one any day now. The SAI one has more info since more people have posted there.

2) Correct, the Shelby GT (SGT) is not a GT350 and shouldn't be referred as such. More on that in coming months. The dealers struggled (and still do) with the SGT since there wasn't much promotion and education about the car. Some even call(ed) it a "baby" Shelby and others don't even know it's a Shelby (they think it's a kit car).

3) On the SAI forum there are lots of posts telling what you get. Basically there are a few Ford Racing packages which include a cold air intake (CAI), exhaust with X pipe and tune plus 3:55 gears. This gives the 19 quoted more HP a lot more kick than one would expect. Then there is a suspension kit lowering the car 1.5 inches, some Shelby badges and other fun items like a strut tower brace, Shelby grille, California Special front and rear fascia, 18 inch wheels and a few other items. The bottom line is it's a Shelby and a million times better than a Mustang GT, Roush, Saleen or any other car. Personally I even think it's better than a GT500 for the handling, look and feel but that's my opinion. Plus, you can have Shelby add more modifications such as a supercharger, big brakes, different grilles and much more to make it the way you like it. If you get a supercharger, you can be well above 500 HP.

4) Stock wheel dynos are found on this and the SAI forum. I faintly recall the numbers are around 270 RWHP but do a search on both sites to confirm. My supercharged SGT was dyno'd at 545 HP but then they blew the stock clutch so they put it back down to 513 HP until I get a new clutch (it works fine at 513).

5) $36k isn't bad but you can do much better. Contact (PM) Michael Morris (MM) on both forums for more help. He is outstanding and based in GA. He will eventually see this post in a day or two so if you don't find him, he'll find you (it's a mafia thing Just kidding). It doesn't matter where you get your car since it will be shipped to you. Research Museum Delivery if you get a 2008 model for more info.

6) You're mostly correct with the colors. For 2007 there were the black or white coupes. For 2008 there is the blue in coupe or vert and there were around 219 grabber orange coupes and they look awesome too. Look in my Photobucket link (in my sig below) for some nice pics of the GO SGT. Those were in California and might still be available. Again, MM can help. Finally, there are 100 black 2008 models with red stripes. I also proposed that Tasca Ford should have a version of silver SGT with blue stripes just like the 2008 GT500KR ptototype since Tasca invented the KR nomenclature back in 1967. I hope they do eventually because I'd buy car number 1 (see my signature for Tasca Ford).

7) 07SGT016x is a good number since the lower the better, however, you are correct with getting 4xxx since it will have the scoop fix. I am not so sure about the pin fix but either way you can get new pins. And, there is a great fix for the scoop if you can trust your local Ford dealer. Not all cars have the scoop issue so inspect it thoroughly (after it gets hot) for warpage.

8) You don't sound stupid. You sound much more educated for a beginner than most - especially more than most dealers.

Good luck in your decision and keep us al informed.

There is alot of information for you to catch up on. Try scanning the Shelby GT forum here and on shelbyautos.com. I will try to help.

The Shelby GT is more then an appearence package. The Shelby GT includes:

1. Mustang GT base and options,

2. Shelby installed Ford Racing Power Pack

-Ford Racing cold air intake

-Ford Racing x-pipe

-Ford Racing mufflers

-computer flash

3. Shelby installed Ford Racing Handling Pack

-Ford Racing shocks

-Ford Racing springs

-Ford Racing sway bars

4. Hurst shifter

5. 3.55 rear (factory installed for the manuals and Shelby installed for the autos).

6. Ford factory installed front and rear fascias

7. Ford factory installed side scoop

8. 18" wheels, painte or polished depending on color choice

9. Shelby installed billet grill

10. Shelby installed le mans stripes

11. Shelby installed hood pins

12. Shelby installed no functioning hood scoop

13. Unique fllormats

14. Shelby badges and lettering

In 2007 the color choices were Black and white and the car was only available in a coupe. In 2008 the convertible was added but the primay color is Blue. There were 219 Grabber Orange Coupes built for southern California. There were also 100 black with red stripe cars built for Arizona and Barret Jackson. There were 5763 (+/-) and 2300 (+/-) for 2008. According to the President of Shelby there will not be a 2009 Shelby GT. It ends with Job 1 of 2008.

The SAE rating of the Shelby GT is 319 HP. However, those that have had there cars dyno report 325-330

The production squence doesn't matter for the hood scoop. The permanent fix has just come out. After the 2007 production was completed. There was an intermediate fix, rivets all the way around, but I don't know when that happened. Either way all things being equal I would go for the lower number especiall if it is around #160. When the hood problem arises get the permanent fix done under warranty.

I am sure I left some stuff out but others will pick up the pieces and if you have any more questions go ahead and ask that is what this community is about.

Chris

PS.

The price you are being qouted depends on many factors. Options and available rebates to strat with. Give us some more details and then will tell you if we think its a good deal.

Darn, I always forget to mention the Hurst shifter.

Also, the SGT is the only Shelby ever to have muffler bearings. This is what gives it that great roar when you first start the car and makes it more rare than the GT500. Ask your dealer about that. I bet he doesn't even know that little bit of trivia.

Also, the SGT is the only Shelby ever to have muffler bearings. This is what gives it that great roar when you first start the car and makes it more rare than the GT500. Ask your dealer about that. I bet he doesn't even know that little bit of trivia.

The SGT does sound awesome when it fires up. :drool:

muffler "bearings"? what the heck are those? i have ball bearings rollin around in my mufflers? :headscratch:

wow..i didnt even know that !

But I do love the way people kinda "jump" when you start the car lol :hysterical2: :happy feet:

muffler "bearings"? what the heck are those? i have ball bearings rollin around in my mufflers? :headscratch:

Ya, and don't forget about the "KANUDER" valve in your

intake manifold and the "BRASS MAGNET" you need for

replacing it................................................................ :hysterical:

The bottom line is it's a Shelby and a million times better than a Mustang GT, Roush, Saleen or any other car.

You don´t get out much do you? :redcard::hysterical2:

The SGT in stock form is like any other entry level car from any of the other car tuners - had it not been for the history of Shelby, the SGT wouldn´t be that special. That being said, I still like it enough to pay an insane amount of money to bring it to Europe :headspin: - but only after a trip to the mod shop :):dreamy:

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to help bring me up to speed so that I can make an informed decision. I have taken your advice, I'm doing more reading here in the forum's and I PM'd Michael Morris. I will know the options on this particular SGT today. Another question or two, it appears that the GT500 is very heavy, what does the average SGT weigh in comparison? You can burn up a lot of horsepower trying to move a heavy car, I'm hoping the SGT is at least 300 pounds lighter than its big brother. Has anyone run a stock SGT at the race track? As far as installing a supercharger goes, what is the safe horsepower the SGT internals are capable of surviviing? Does Ford or Shelby install this and does it include a warranty, what is the additional cost?

When will they learn to install grease zert's to prevent premature Muffler bearing failure?

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to help bring me up to speed so that I can make an informed decision. I have taken your advice, I'm doing more reading here in the forum's and I PM'd Michael Morris. I will know the options on this particular SGT today. Another question or two, it appears that the GT500 is very heavy, what does the average SGT weigh in comparison? You can burn up a lot of horsepower trying to move a heavy car, I'm hoping the SGT is at least 300 pounds lighter than its big brother. Has anyone run a stock SGT at the race track? As far as installing a supercharger goes, what is the safe horsepower the SGT internals are capable of surviviing? Does Ford or Shelby install this and does it include a warranty, what is the additional cost?

When will they learn to install grease zert's to prevent premature Muffler bearing failure?

Glad we can help and you're in good hands with MM.

The GT500 weighs 3896 lbs:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11...elby-gt500.html

The SGT weighs 3547 lbs

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/2853/Fo...-Shelby-GT.html

SGT is 349 lb lighter. Thanks for the question, we were told months ago the differeence was 500 lbs so now I need to change my story.

There is a current post on the stock SGT on the SAI forum right now (first or second page).

Most of us discussed the max HP for the 4.6 L engine back around Feb-April 07 on the SAI forum. The general consensus was around 485 HP at the engine. Many have since gotten over 500 (I had mine up to 545 but blew the stock clutch so it's back down to 513 until I replace the clutch) without incident. Some say that's on borrowed time. Others say it can handle into the 600 HP before needing forged internals while others have blown theirs at around 500 HP or less. Talk to your best, most favorite and trusted Ford expert mechanic and stick with him (again. more on the other forum). I really hope they don't shut that SAI forum down as there is a real lot of great info there.

Shelby installs a Paxton or Whipple S/C (ask for others as they are a possible option) as does any of the regional mod shops (Tasca for example). As for the warranty, I think it is warrantied, but let's let SAI answer as that discussion (again more over at SAI).

In the pinned topic on the SAI forum at the top, I posted (my user name is aodwyer over there) the prices many months ago. Since then, SAI hooked up with Scott Drake Enterprises to form Shelby Performance Parts so the prices may be different but they might be close enough to give you an idea.

They figured out how to install the zerts. They use a left handed screwdriver and a 1969 Volkswagon Beetle water pump wrench. Only an expert mechanic is authorized to repair, otherwise the air bags will set off.

Probably a dumb question .....but here goes, Why do some of the SGT's have /SC following on the bottom of the fender?

Not a dumb question at all. The "SC" designates that the car was Supercharged through the Shelby modification shop. It was kinda of a gimme by Amy Boylan to those of us who requested (begged, badgered) that there be some kind of special badging on the Shelby SC'd cars.

In antisipation of your next question, a polished Paxton supercharger added to a SGT will set you back about $6,400.00 (round numbers) delivered.

And the next question, the Whipple about $7000 for the HO version with intercooler. Polished Whipples are slightly higher in pricing. If your SGT is modified by an authorized Mod Shop or SAI it will come with the SC on the stripe. If you choose to have the SC installed by anyone else you do not get the SC stripe. Great questions and good luck in your decission. You can't go wrong if you buy from Michael. Great guy and will do everything to insure you are satisfied.

And the next question, the Whipple about $7000 for the HO version with intercooler. Polished Whipples are slightly higher in pricing. If your SGT is modified by an authorized Mod Shop or SAI it will come with the SC on the stripe. If you choose to have the SC installed by anyone else you do not get the SC stripe. Great questions and good luck in your decission. You can't go wrong if you buy from Michael. Great guy and will do everything to insure you are satisfied.

When I had my windows tinted they told me it would be no problem to make me a strip that said Shelby GT/SC. I didn't do it because I like to surprise people.

I spoke with Michael Morris (Thanks Mike!) and he gave me some very good information. I have been mulling over whether to buy an 07 SGT and Ford just made it even better with the current interest rate promotion.

I have a big reservation thou, I am concerned with the hood scoop issue that doe's not seem to be resolved. The car with the option's I want is in the 800 serial number range. This may sound weak but I am not real excited about buying a brand new car that has issue's that don't seem to be resolved from the get go (hood scoop). Where I live I just don't trust any or every body to put there hands on my cars, too many bad experiense's with shoddy work. And it sounds like the scoop can look great in the beginning and slowly turn to crap due to weather and or engine heat.... so you don't know what you've got. I did post comments under the "Hood Scoop Fix" thread but I don't know if there is much traffic on it anymore. From what I am gathering there has not been a permanent approved fix, but a few individual's that have had success. I hate to say it but I am starting to take the stance of "slowly back away....."

I spoke with Michael Morris (Thanks Mike!) and he gave me some very good information. I have been mulling over whether to buy an 07 SGT and Ford just made it even better with the current interest rate promotion.

I have a big reservation thou, I am concerned with the hood scoop issue that doe's not seem to be resolved. The car with the option's I want is in the 800 serial number range. This may sound weak but I am not real excited about buying a brand new car that has issue's that don't seem to be resolved from the get go (hood scoop). Where I live I just don't trust any or every body to put there hands on my cars, too many bad experiense's with shoddy work. And it sounds like the scoop can look great in the beginning and slowly turn to crap due to weather and or engine heat.... so you don't know what you've got. I did post comments under the "Hood Scoop Fix" thread but I don't know if there is much traffic on it anymore. From what I am gathering there has not been a permanent approved fix, but a few individual's that have had success. I hate to say it but I am starting to take the stance of "slowly back away....."

From my post over in the other thread:

"Just a quick note to let you all know "Stripes" came home today after more than a week in the shop. It had the hood stripes replaced, the hood scoop replaced, and the shifter vibration fixed. All is done and it looks GREAT! Thanks for SAI for re-engineering this and sticking with the problem until fixed and to Victor Ford in Wauconda for doing such a careful job. I'm VERY happy! Best of all all covered under the warranty and looks just as good as the 08's I've seen. I kept looking at it all the way home!"

If you have any issue with your scoop you can get it replaced with the same scoops and method used on the 08'. You can request that you have the work done at a body shop of your choice. The shop will need to agree to perform the work at the shop rate and warranty time, and bill your dealer. You will have to absolve the dealer of ANY responsibility. In other words if the dealer messes it up they have to fix it, if your shop does, that's between you and them. But this far I have yet to hear of a dealer messing up this fix. I have heard of people messing up trying to invent their own method.

Buy an 07 and get the scoop fixed, it will be fine.

Buick, don't back away. These are unbelievably awesome cars. You really won't regret buying one.

The stripe issues IS resolved. If you find a car with the old scoop, the fix is through the dealer. Some such as sdear have had this done and are very pleased. I was at SAI on July 19 and 20 and saw them doing one of the first new scoop fixes. I am guessing that's around car # CSM 07-SGT-4200, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm certainly sure that MM can find you one with a post July 19 conversion.

I can't recall, but "Have you driven a Ford lately?" Sorry, I had to get that one in there. Really, have you driven a Shelby GT? They are incredible machines.

Buick, don't back away. These are unbelievably awesome cars. You really won't regret buying one.

I can't recall, but "Have you driven a Ford lately?" Sorry, I had to get that one in there. Really, have you driven a Shelby GT? They are incredible machines.

YES, the Shelby is an incredible car. You will be glad you bought it! :headspin:

I picked up my Shelby 2 days ago and it is great. I have # 5696 and the front grill as well as the hood scoop were already good to go from the factory. With the incentives going on now you have to get it now if you want it. x-plan minus $1000 bonus cash plus 0% for 60 months. Do not see that to often. Good Luck. By the way, I worked with MM and he was great. I just about bought his Black car at his dealer, but got a call 2 days ago from the dealer 5 miles away, they finally gave in to x-plan minus $1000. That and the fact I wanted White and heated seats because I live in New England.

I picked up my Shelby 2 days ago and it is great. I have # 5696 and the front grill as well as the hood scoop were already good to go from the factory. With the incentives going on now you have to get it now if you want it. x-plan minus $1000 bonus cash plus 0% for 60 months. Do not see that to often. Good Luck. By the way, I worked with MM and he was great. I just about bought his Black car at his dealer, but got a call 2 days ago from the dealer 5 miles away, they finally gave in to x-plan minus $1000. That and the fact I wanted White and heated seats because I live in New England.

I bought my car Dec 4th and I couldnt get special financing or cash back. I called Ford too just to make sure. I did buy it for $2,000 less than sticker and got it locally so no shipping.

I think the car is a great deal for the money. Look at what ZO-6 Vettes sell for, around $75,000!

How are the early version scoops actually held on? If the the fix is to rivet the scoop to the hood, are we talking about regular old rivets like you buy at the hardware store or something nicer? Is it true that most of the early models have grill's that looked like somebody cut the emblems off with a die grinder?

How are the early version scoops actually held on? If the the fix is to rivet the scoop to the hood, are we talking about regular old rivets like you buy at the hardware store or something nicer? Is it true that most of the early models have grill's that looked like somebody cut the emblems off with a die grinder?

hi i sent you a pm

Well.......................I bought car number 0862 :happy feet: :happy feet: out of state and it will be delivered tomorrow afternoon. I will post picture's when it arrive's. Thank you all who have informed, called, encouraged and PM'd me with information. If not for you I would have backed out of this deal. Other than register this car is there anything special I should do or certificate's to process?

I'm am under the understanding that some of the early model scoops have held up, has anyone taken theirs in for repair's prior to any buckling or just wait and see what happen's?

Thanks,

Keith

Archived