TEAM SHELBY FORUM

WINTER MAINTAINING

faststang

With the cold here I heard that the battery will go if not charged.I would start it every week but I also read that it's not going to help?what would be beter battery charger with trickle charge or a battery tender?I really dont know the difrence of the two?Also I heard to put 10psi more air in the tires so they dont turn into hockey puck's?any advice would be very appreciate!THANK'S!

With the cold here I heard that the battery will go if not charged.I would start it every week but I also read that it's not going to help?what would be beter battery charger with trickle charge or a battery tender?I really dont know the difrence of the two?Also I heard to put 10psi more air in the tires so they dont turn into hockey puck's?any advice would be very appreciate!THANK'S!

Yes, there is Ford TSB on the battery thing. A trickle charge is the way to go. So far I have simply disconnected the battery. If you try this leave one of your door windows slightly cracked so you don't have to force the door open against the rubber, when it comes time to pop the hood and reconnect the battery or leave the hood open on its accessible first latch. On thing I have noticed, once I reconnect the battery I receive a tire sensor trouble fault message. It has cleared up without me doing anything. I do have a question for the panel regarding this issue. Does this fault message show up because the tires are sitting idle for extended periods and confuses the internal sensors? Is it time to consider jack stands for extended downtime?

Battery Tender because of the logic. There is absolutely NO reason to unhook the battery and deal with ECM resets, clocks and radios, blah, blah, blah. Hook her up and slap a BT on it. Less than $65.00.

I have a dual BT on my two motorcycles right now. (10 lbs too much air in those tires, that's for sure).

I have another Battery Tender for the GT500. If you really want to store it, jack it up and put Sta-Bil in a full tank of gas.

bj

Battery Tender, or just start it on occasion but don't do so unless your going to run it up to normal operating temperature - otherwise I think that will add condensation water to your oil.

The cold has nothing to do with it.

It is the sitting without ever starting it that kills the battery.

There is a constant pull that will drain the battery completely dead if it sits to long without ever starting it. If it sits to long where it drains the battery dead completely it can fry the battery and will have to be replaced.

The battery can go dead in approx 4 weeks time from sitting without ever being started.

If you start it up and let it run for about 10 minutes once every week or two it should be fine.

I just started mine today after sitting for 3 weeks. It fired right up. I let it run for about 10 minutes and turned it off. I will start it again in 2 - 3 weeks and do the same. Doing this allows the battery to fully charge again after sitting for a week or two.

The cold has nothing to do with it.

It is the sitting without ever starting it that kills the battery.

There is a constant pull that will drain the battery completely dead if it sits to long without ever starting it. If it sits to long where it drains the battery dead completely it can fry the battery and will have to be replaced.

The battery can go dead in approx 4 weeks time from sitting without ever being started.

If you start it up and let it run for about 10 minutes once every week or two it should be fine.

I just started mine today after sitting for 3 weeks. It fired right up. I let it run for about 10 minutes and turned it off. I will start it again in 2 - 3 weeks and do the same. Doing this allows the battery to fully charge again after sitting for a week or two.

I agree with ShelbyDude. Starting it is the key. I'm up in Manitoba, Canada, which is north of Minnesota and it gets VERY cold up here, particularly this winter. My 08's been parked now for almost 2 months and the temperature's gone down to about -12F in my garage. I had to make the antifreeze stronger as my tester said it was only good for up to -5 degrees so I took out about one gallon of the diluted fluid and added one gallon of pure.

I start the car once per week and have had no trouble. It's started on the first crank every time with no hesitation, and I've never had to charge it. I let it run for about 10-15 minutes until she gets nice and hot and then let it sit for another week. As a precaution, stabilizer has been added to the fuel.

As for the tires, the car is not jacked up off the ground (don't think this is a good idea). They are, however, sitting on plywood as I didn't want them in direct contact with the concrete for too long. Next time I start the car, I will back it up a few feet to prevent flat spots, although I don't think this would make much a difference with today's tires.

I've had two (garaged) corvettes over the years, and this is the schedule I followed, and I've never had any problems. If this works with the crazy weather we get up here, I can't see anyone having problems elsewhere. I do change the oil in the spring however, to make sure everything's good to go.

We've been lucky here, today around 50,sunny and dry. The Shelby will be out and about for Christmas.

We had 40 and Sunny today. Really a pretty nice day for late December in Indiana. I took her out for a short rip down the bypass. There is still a lot of trash on the road, so, I kept it kinda short. Man, it felt good, though.

Tomorrow will be 46 and sunny. I'll have to go at it again, then clean her up and put her back away. I might heat up the garage and put another coat of wax on tomorrow.

We had 40 and Sunny today. Really a pretty nice day for late December in Indiana. I took her out for a short rip down the bypass. There is still a lot of trash on the road, so, I kept it kinda short. Man, it felt good, though.

Tomorrow will be 46 and sunny. I'll have to go at it again, then clean her up and put her back away. I might heat up the garage and put another coat of wax on tomorrow.

Ha......Caught you Kevin ! :finger: serious though my day tommorrow. These cars are WAY tto much fun :headspin:

Ha......Caught you Kevin ! :finger: serious though my day tommorrow. These cars are WAY tto much fun :headspin:

It had been 4 weeks since I drove it. I couldn't take it anymore. I had to take advantage of the opportunity.

Clean car, cover, full tank, stabil, battery tender. I use the following one. Expensive, but, nice that it fits under my hood and has magnets to hold it on the shock tower.

Griots Garage

Looks like a good product, but a friend of mine in the UK has a couple of toys he keeps stored most of the time and his trickle chargers plug into the cigarette lighters which seems a bit easier to me than leaving your hood up and alligator clips on the battery when its stored.

Are there any good ones in the US that connect this way?

Jaime

Looks like a good product, but a friend of mine in the UK has a couple of toys he keeps stored most of the time and his trickle chargers plug into the cigarette lighters which seems a bit easier to me than leaving your hood up and alligator clips on the battery when its stored.

Are there any good ones in the US that connect this way?

Jaime

I don't know about cig lighter, but, this one has rings that mount to the battery terminals. If you do want to drive it, just unhook at the disconnect leaving the rings mounted. Even with the alligator clips, this one will fit under hood with it closed. I used the rings, stuck the charger to the shock tower, dropped the cord down beside the engine, plugged it in and forgot about it. It really is a nice piece. I'd recommend it to anyone storing their car for a period of time.

Clean car, cover, full tank, stabil, battery tender. I use the following one. Expensive, but, nice that it fits under my hood and has magnets to hold it on the shock tower.

Griots Garage

I started my car for the 1st time in 22 days. It fired right up. I ran it for 20 minutes.

I like the charger shown in your link.

I am going to order 2.

One for wifey too.

I started my car for the 1st time in 22 days. It fired right up. I ran it for 20 minutes.

I am going to order 2.

One for wifey too.

I think you will be pleased. I really like the fact that it has no sharp edges and magnetically mounts to the inside of the engine compartment. After that it is fully automatic. Set it and forget it.

I am going to order 2.

One for wifey too.

I think you will be pleased. I really like the fact that it has no sharp edges and magnetically mounts to the inside of the engine compartment. After that it is fully automatic. Set it and forget it.

btw, how is your car? Did you get it fixed?

btw, how is your car? Did you get it fixed?

Not yet. :cry:

The *new* Transmission is suppose to ship 12/28/07.

The *new* Clutch is suppose to ship 1/4/08.

My replacement Flywheel and 9 clutch bolts are at the dealer now.

I am hoping that the transplant will be finished in January.

Not yet.

Hope you get that ordeal behind you soon.

Not yet. :cry:

What's this all about? What happened? Is this the 1st to 2nd grind - or did something else happen?

What's this all about? What happened? Is this the 1st to 2nd grind - or did something else happen?

Am interested to know too ( i hope it is another car and not the GT500), if it was driving it hard, we have no business knowing details, but if it is a factory issue please shed more light so we pay attention, at the end we are in shelby's shoes.

Am interested to know too ( i hope it is another car and not the GT500), if it was driving it hard, we have no business knowing details, but if it is a factory issue please shed more light so we pay attention, at the end we are in shelby's shoes.

It has to do with the info posted in Post #1 of this thread:

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...c=12946&hl=

Edit: Do not post in that thread unless you want to reply to the 4 questions stated in post #1.

It has to do with the info posted in Post #1 of this thread:

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...c=12946&hl=

Edit: Do not post in that thread unless you want to reply to the 4 questions stated in post #1.

Wow grabber that is scary, am done reading the thread and started getting worried about my car, only 29 miles on it i can tell nothing but any updates on the reason? i know (and correct me if i was wrong) that tremec transmission is used in other cars like dodge viper, if that is true did they have similar problems to your knowledge, am sure you already did a lot of research.

am sorry for your trouble but even if my car was made nov. 2007 i might be in your shoes when i rack miles on it.

Sharbi,

The Tremec tranny is used in the Viper, Vette and new Challenger and many other cars. Not sure if they are having any problems. Orf's post speaks for itself.

While am googling the tremec problems i came across this link that describes all the problems in Orf's thread except for the transmission leak, so it seems that Z06 owners my have similar issues and unfortunately it could be an inherited problem in that transmission taking that much power from the engine. i guess will live with it.

http://www.velocitycorvette.com/?page_id=109

Archived