TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Helmet Fitting

colt

If anyone is planning to buy a helmet for the track day on Caroll Bday event. I found this inf that might be helpful.

http://www.thebellstore.com/Fit/fitprint.html

For the record, Bell helmets suck. Don't measure your head and buy online....go to a motorcycle dealership and try them on. Fit is everything.

IMO, after a ton of years racing motorcycles, there are is only one mfg that I use and trust.

That said, there are a lot of low cost options. What's your head worth?

Looking for something with an automotive/racing background, check out Simpson.

If cost isn't a factor and you want the best fit and finish with Snell and DOT certs, try Arai.

They cost more and they're worth it. I have one for each family member right now. (We actively ride a Goldwing, a Honda Helix, and of course Ms.Shelby)

bj

For the record, Bell helmets suck. Don't measure your head and buy online....go to a motorcycle dealership and try them on. Fit is everything.

IMO, after a ton of years racing motorcycles, there are is only one mfg that I use and trust.

That said, there are a lot of low cost options. What's your head worth?

Looking for something with an automotive/racing background, check out Simpson.

If cost isn't a factor and you want the best fit and finish with Snell and DOT certs, try Arai.

They cost more and they're worth it. I have one for each family member right now. (We actively ride a Goldwing, a Honda Helix, and of course Ms.Shelby)

bj

All helmets are not the same

IMO get an automotive helmet if you're going to used it driving a car

Motorcycle helmets are bigger and can restrict your movement and vision in the car, they also are built using different standards. they can actually take more impact

All helmets are not the same

IMO get an automotive helmet if you're going to used it driving a car

Motorcycle helmets are bigger and can restrict your movement and vision in the car, they also are built using different standards. they can actually take more impact

Oh and I agree

Bell helmets suck

For best quality and comfort try Arai.......Shoei is a close second choice.

Ahem....as I was saying. (you are CORRECT sir)

Arai....accept no substitutes.

bj

Could you guys be more specific other than just a name brand . To help those of us who aren't aware of exactly what to look for. So far no one here has explained why one is good and the other isn't.

thanks.... :waiting:

Bell, in the 60s and 70s, was the standard. The were used for all types of motorsports. They unfortunately didn't keep up with the times and other brands took over primarily because of style.

Motorcycle racing was the big trendsetter, both on and off road. Graphics were the key.

From a fit standpoint, Shoei was the first to build a helmet that was more ergonomic and realized that not everyone had the same size or shape head.

Arai took this to a completely new level in the 90s. Shoei still makes a great helmet but for most people Arai offers a better all around fit.

Simpson was the marque that took Bell's spot in the automotive sector. They're the same guys that market suits, 'chutes, etc.

The primary difference between automotive and motorcycle helmets is their crashworthiness. It has nothing to do with how you can move your head (mobility). You should look for a SNELL2005 (the latest standard) certified helmet. The SNELL Foundation has a set of standards that surpasses DOT, so if it's a SNELL certified helmet it meets DOT standards, but not vice versa. The motorcycle SNELL helmets have an "M" in front of the certification. They are designed to take a single impact and absorb the energy of the crash and be destroyed. This is another reason why you shouldn't use a motorcycle helmet that has ever been dropped. An automotive standard helmet (generally) has a harder shell and is made to withstand multiple impacts....for example the effects of a rollover. If you wore an auto helmet on a motorcycle you'd theoretically have a greater chance of sustaining a neck injury because your neck and spine would take the bouncing rather than the controlled crush of a motorcycle helmet.

I use a Shoei in the car (cheaper and less comfortable than Arai) because I don't wear it long. On the Goldwing, there is nothing that matches the comfort of the Arai.

Hope this helps.

bj

Glad to see a decent explanation of the differences between automotive & motorcycle helmets. Thanks VNMOUS1.

The basic difference as I understand it is the manner in which they are designed to absorb crash energy. On a bike, you are more likely to sustain one initial large blow to the head. The helmet must then absorb all of that energy through its own controlled destruction, leaving it less able to absorb another large blow.

A car helmet is designed to absorb multiple, but smaller blows; like from a rollover like VNMOUS1 said or impacts to the roll cage from sequential front, side, & rear impacts in a spin. The materials in both helmets may look the same but are not for this reason.

For use in a car you should be looking for an SA2005 certification (not an M2005).

As for brand quality.....I'l defer to these other guys B)

Also, most manufacturers make helmets using the Good, Better, Best approach.......not Arai, they only make the BEST helmets in different shapes for different size heads.....in open face or closed.

On My Honda Rune I use a closed face, on my HD Ultra Screming Eagle I use an open face.....clearly the closed face offers the most protection.

Buy Arai, if not, you will be sorry.......and yes, they are more $, but well worth it!

THIS POOR GIRL NEEDS A HELMET FOR HER NEW SHELBY...

BUT SHE'S STILL SMILING RIGHT UP TO THE BITTER END!!!

TricycleFaceplant.gif

She previously owned a Bell and opted not to shell out the dough for an Arai.

bj

What's wrong with Bell . What quality's should be considered when buying an auto helmet ?

What ratings are required for road course type racing ?

Snell SA2005 rating is still current

For me the shell is too big, they look like an oversized light bulb on my fat head

The cheeks are too wide and the contour in front of the chin is too close to my face. I'm used to and find it more comfortable to have an even pressure from the top of my head to my cheeks, The bell (best fit I could get) gave me a pressure headache just above my temples, my cheeks were loose and I didn't like how close the front of the helmet was to my face, thinking it was too small, the next size up was way too loose, next size down was way too small. The helmet was also top heavy. I have a Simpson Voyager with a Carbon Fiber shell, it is very light and doesn't fatigue your neck, the weight is evenly distributed throughout your entire head and it's just more comfortable to me. The pressure is consistent and I don't have hot spots that hurt after a long day of wearing.

The thing I like most about the Simpson is I can wear it all day and not fidget with it and my neck doesn’t hurt the next day.

I guess I should rephrase because Bell sells a lot of helmets and I don’t want to come off like I operate in a vacuum. I didn’t care for the bell Helmet, I am sure it fits other heads perfectly.

I have been using my Arai helmet for about 15 years, when I was at the track last year the tech said the snell90 was no longer allowed at the track and was time for a new helmet :banghead: , he also said he could not believe it was that old and it's held up great. It cost me $450 back in 1992 and was the most comfortalble helmet and great quality. I'm sure my new Arai will hold up for another 15 years but my old one will be greatly missed :cry:

Snell SA2005 rating is still current

For me the shell is too big, they look like an oversized light bulb on my fat head

The cheeks are too wide and the contour in front of the chin is too close to my face. I'm used to and find it more comfortable to have an even pressure from the top of my head to my cheeks, The bell (best fit I could get) gave me a pressure headache just above my temples, my cheeks were loose and I didn't like how close the front of the helmet was to my face, thinking it was too small, the next size up was way too loose, next size down was way too small. The helmet was also top heavy. I have a Simpson Voyager with a Carbon Fiber shell, it is very light and doesn't fatigue your neck, the weight is evenly distributed throughout your entire head and it's just more comfortable to me. The pressure is consistent and I don't have hot spots that hurt after a long day of wearing.

The thing I like most about the Simpson is I can wear it all day and not fidget with it and my neck doesn’t hurt the next day.

I guess I should rephrase because Bell sells a lot of helmets and I don’t want to come off like I operate in a vacuum. I didn’t care for the bell Helmet, I am sure it fits other heads perfectly.

Arai helmets are availabe with different thickness padding.......that way, you can "custom fit" your helmet to your tatse. Their helmets are available in XS, S, M, L, XL.......the padding allows for customization........different models are shaped differently to allow for different types of heads. :shift:

I have been using my Arai helmet for about 15 years, when I was at the track last year the tech said the snell90 was no longer allowed at the track and was time for a new helmet :banghead: , he also said he could not believe it was that old and it's held up great. It cost me $450 back in 1992 and was the most comfortalble helmet and great quality. I'm sure my new Arai will hold up for another 15 years but my old one will be greatly missed :cry:

I went to race this year and my sn95 is no good for drag racing. I fail tech because of my helmet. I was worried because I went to the track by myself that day. I drove around the pits and finally found a friend and I used his helmet to pass tech. Then I used my helmet to race with. Anyways to go drag racing you need a sn2000 or sn2005 to pass tech......I don't know the rules for road racing but I plan to try it soon so I will buy one with the sn2005 rating.

JJ

I have a G-FORCE 1 Pro ..SA2005 It is a full face and very comfterable...The cost was $279.00 :happy feet:

I have the same helmet and it fits very well. I like it.

At an NHRA of IHRA track, they will not allow you to wear a "M" rated helmet in a car. It must be "SA" rated. The difference is SA has a fire retardant lining.

NHRA Helmet Expiration Dates

Snell 90 Expired

Snell 95 Expired

Snell K98 1/1/2009

Snell 2000 1/1/2012

Snell 2005 1/1/2017

SFI 31.2A 1/1/2014

SFI 31.1A 1/1/2014

SFI 41.2 Expired

SFI 41.1A 1/1/2014

SFI 41.2A 1/1/2014

SFI 31.1/2005 1/1/2017

SFI 41.1/2005 1/1/2017

SFI 24.1 1/1/2015

SFI 24.1/2005 1/1/2017

SFI 31.1 Expired

SFI 31.2 Expired

SFI 41.1 Expired

http://www.gainesvilleraceway.com/apcm/tem...2&zoneid=69

I agree that Bell sucks, not to mention they spent millions of dollars forcing the California Helmet law into existence several years ago.

But my concern/question is that now Simpson and Bell are now one company does that mean that the quality of Simpson helmets has degraded, or did Bell benefit from Simpson's R&D and made their helmets better?

If you toggle back and forth between the two websites, you will first notice the similarities between the two as far as page layout and color scheme, but the second, and more important similarity that you will see is that other than the helmet’s model names, many/several of the helmets listed look identical and have the same specs between the two companies.

I’ve always been keen on Simpson products when Bill Simpson owned the company, but now that he’s dissolved himself from Simpson and started IMPACT RACING EQUIPMENT, I’m not so sure about Simpson’s quality and fit anymore.

Archived