TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Lost my Locking Lugnut Key

colt

If you have the card that came with the key, it should have the key # printed on it. You can then order a new key. If not, you'll have to order a new set. It sort of happened to me. When I went to pick up my car when it was new, the dealer had not installed the wheel locks. He did as I waited and forgot to put the key in the car. I was so stoke to get the car I got in and took for a 2-day drive home. About a week later, I called the dealer asking about the key. He said he had it and would send it asap. It never showed up. Oh well, Cocka pasa!!

The VIN won't do you any good and a locksmith wouldn't have a key for the wheel lock.

What you need is the card that came with the wheel lock kit from McGard. It provides instructions and price for replacement locks and key as well as a code to order the replacments. You actually need to send in the registration portion of the card.

I suspect you don't have the card either.

The VIN won't do you any good and a locksmith wouldn't have a key for the wheel lock.

What you need is the card that came with the wheel lock kit from McGard. It provides instructions and price for replacement locks and key as well as a code to order the replacments. You actually need to send in the registration portion of the card.

I suspect you don't have the card either.

I used to get these locks off of cars in a variety of ways when i worked in the shop. It can be done so that a new set can easily be bought from McGard (no need to go through Ford and pay a huge markup). Check with a local mechanic to see if they can do this.

Dave

I used to get these locks off of cars in a variety of ways when i worked in the shop. It can be done so that a new set can easily be bought from McGard (no need to go through Ford and pay a huge markup). Check with a local mechanic to see if they can do this.

Dave

Yeah, I understand these wheellocks are not the most secure means of keeping your wheels intact. A tire store may also know some creative ways to get them off without the key.

When I take my Toyota Tacoma in for service they never care about my key because they have a master set. My truck has McGard locks but they came from Toyota when the truck was new in 2000. They said a while ago that there were only about 8 or so keys in their master set. I don't know if McGard is still that way but at least that will get the old ones off even if you can't get a key. Failing that years ago we welded about 3/4 inch nuts to a set on a truck with steel wheels to get them off when a key was lost-could be sporty with our alu wheels.

Switch to Gorilla lug nuts and never worry about loosing a key again.

I checked out the website and it looks like you still have a key to lose. How are they different than McGards other than every lug nut becomes a locking nut?

If you do loose the socket, it's a lot easer to get a replacement. No code numbers needed, you just purchase another socket and you're back in business.

Are you saying all the sockets are the same? Kinda defeats the purpose.

Yes, but the odds are that the theif is not going to have the socket to remove them. And further odds are that the theif won't know about Gorilla lug nuts, know where to get a socket, and will probably think that they are unattainable like the McGard sockets are.

The other thing is that in my case, the car is locked up in a garage everynight and when I do take it out, I don't generally have it out of my sight long enough to be concerned that someone will come along with a Gorilla socket and rip my wheels off.

Archived