TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Winter Storage Preparation

nachtkriechen

When those of you that do store your cars for the winter, do you take any precautions for fuel lines clogging, or fuel going bad? And what about flat spots in the tires? Or are these problems that you only have to worry about if storing for a year or more?

Thanks,

- Josh

When those of you that do store your cars for the winter, do you take any precautions for fuel lines clogging, or fuel going bad? And what about flat spots in the tires? Or are these problems that you only have to worry about if storing for a year or more?

Thanks,

- Josh

Stabil in the tank and then drive it a little to get it through the system. I also have a battery tender to prevent the battery from going dead. To prevent flat spots I park the car on three pieces of foam insulation under each wheel. Also make sure you have the tires properly inflated.

Thanks,

- Josh

Ship it to SS in Florida. He'll take care of it for the winter. :hysterical2:

Clean the car , wash wax, vacuum ,check all fluid levels, put stabil in gas. I start mine on a nice day move it out of the garage to get oil on all moving parts & stop it at a different spot after pulling it back into the garage.

Stabil in the tank and then drive it a little to get it through the system. I also have a battery tender to prevent the battery from going dead. To prevent flat spots I park the car on three pieces of foam insulation under each wheel. Also make sure you have the tires properly inflated.

I just run the car for 10 minutes once a month. Not sure what you mean by "clogging", I've NEVER heard of a fuel line clogging. What would it clog with? The varnish is simply a surface thing....I don't think there's any way that would "clog" a line, even over many many years.

As for flat spots, this has been hotly debated and I've been flamed for my response. I have a 1969 Camaro, and put tires on it in 1982. I just had those tires dismounted last week as I'm restoring the car. The tires have sat on the ground for 25 years, as I only drive the car 500 miles/year, and the tires have zero flat spots. I worked at a brake/tire shop for 6 years in the mid '80s, and I've NEVER seen a tire flat spotted from sitting (I have seen flat spots due to other issues such as misaligned toe on the rear end of some cars), yet there are wegsites out there that will attempt to scare people by mentioning the flat spotting issue.

You believe what you want, but I firmly believe there is ZERO risk of flat spotting tires just from sitting.

Dave

I just run the car for 10 minutes once a month. Not sure what you mean by "clogging", I've NEVER heard of a fuel line clogging. What would it clog with? The varnish is simply a surface thing....I don't think there's any way that would "clog" a line, even over many many years.

As for flat spots, this has been hotly debated and I've been flamed for my response. I have a 1969 Camaro, and put tires on it in 1982. I just had those tires dismounted last week as I'm restoring the car. The tires have sat on the ground for 25 years, as I only drive the car 500 miles/year, and the tires have zero flat spots. I worked at a brake/tire shop for 6 years in the mid '80s, and I've NEVER seen a tire flat spotted from sitting (I have seen flat spots due to other issues such as misaligned toe on the rear end of some cars), yet there are wegsites out there that will attempt to scare people by mentioning the flat spotting issue.

You believe what you want, but I firmly believe there is ZERO risk of flat spotting tires just from sitting.

Dave

Thanks, everyone for all of the great info! :happy feet:

Dave,

maybe it has to do with environment? I have personally witnessed flat spots in tires (from sitting for a long time). I've had it happen to a motorcycle I owned, as well as a friends car that sat in my driveway for a long time. As well, the same motorcycle had gas issues after a year and a half of sitting. It wouldn't start to save it's life. After replacing the gas with a fresh tank, and running it through the lines, it started right up. This could also be the gas station where we got it, but, the old gas had sediment in it. I doubt it was from dirty lines on the bike, but, that's also a remote possibility.

- Josh

Dave

Read my post again, I never said any thing about clogging. All I said was I put Stabil in the tank.

Winter?

Yep, there's this white stuff called "snow", that we get quite a bit of here in Utah, every year. :poke:

Just a few days ago, we got 6" of snow fall in one night! Since I love snow boarding, and snow period, this isn't a problem. :happy feet:

- Josh

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Blah blah blah 60 degrees year round. Blah blah blah awesome beaches. Oh, and can't forget, weeeeeeeeeeeee

Stop :censored: 'in! You've got an open invitation to visit us out here. Take a ride and we'll take a weeeeeeeeeeeeeee ride! :happy feet:

Ready for a Mustang show this summer? You want to meet an "old" guy like me? :hysterical2:

Hell yeah! I can't wait. It'd be even better if we could ride up together, but that'd be close to impossible

Stop :censored: 'in! You've got an open invitation to visit us out here. Take a ride and we'll take a weeeeeeeeeeeeeee ride! :happy feet:

I'd really love to come down and get out of here. It's 40 degrees here, and I'm finally getting over my cold

Archived