TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Muscle, etc.

RUFDRAFT

Let's step back just a moment and take all of this in.

Consider all the recent concerns about energy - and emissions - and global warming.

Twenty years from now, will people ask about internal combustion engines?

Will dads and moms lead their kids through museums with replicas of Shelbys?

Think about our transportation system going through a complete overhaul. (vis a vie Golf Carts, Bumper Cars, Green Cars, etc)

Food for thought?

Each and every time you twist the key that starts up your V8 - stop just a second - and listen to the sound that eminates from under your hood - and think to yourself - someday soon, and it won't be that long, people will push a button at some display to hear that sound you're hearing!

Let's Ride - while we still can. :shift:

Consider all the recent concerns about energy - and emissions - and global warming.

Think about our transportation system going through a complete overhaul. (vis a vie Golf Carts, Bumper Cars, Green Cars, etc)

Food for thought?

Each and every time you twist the key that starts up your V8 - stop just a second - and listen to the sound that eminates from under your hood - and think to yourself - someday soon, and it won't be that long, people will push a button at some display to hear that sound you're hearing!

Amen to that Brother !!!!

I think people thought that back in the 70's and 80's as well. That's why most sold their Boss 302's, Mach 1 428's, Shelby GT500's as well as others so cheap. An ex-neighbor had a Hemi Charger and a Hemi 'Cuda that would be part of his retirement if he didn't sell them for peanuts when the original gas shortages appeared!

Gas will stay high. Oil IS available but harder and harder to pull out of the ground cheaply. I'm always trying to conserve, but I'm not throwing out the internal combustion engine quite yet.

Good question. There's a lot of infrastructure built up to support IC engines, so it will not go away soon. There are certainly other ways to get our desired rush, and in time they may become more economical and therefore more abundant. Probably nothing could beat an electric motor for starting torque and that quick acceleration we crave, there's just no affordable storage medium right now that can store the energy possible with a sixteen gallon gas tank. But it will happen, make no mistake. Even at that, some sort of conversion must take place somewhere to generate the electricity to be stored. At least you have the benefit of scrubbing the conversion process for pollutants at one point rather than at hundreds of points like you have to do now at the individual vehicle level.

So all signs point to yes, the IC engine's days are numbered. The enthusiast's days are definitely not. There will always be folks like us. The tools may be different, that's all. We may even see, in our lifetime, how inefficient the current process is, and how much we wasted energy to get the rush we want. Suppose we didn't have to waste all the heat energy that goes out the tailpipe or into the radiator? With all the whining about how heavy the Shelby is, think how much lighter it could be if we could capture the wasted heat energy and put it to the tires rather than removing it unproductively?

Of course, the downside would be the weight of the Shaker 6000 in the trunk we'd need to power the speakers to play the recorded V8 sounds through the phony 4inch fart can exhaust pipes! Always some tradoffs.

The move toward alternatively fueled vehicles will be slow but steady. One day someone will say, 1) "hey, anyone remember the internal combustion engine?" or 2) "hey, anyone know where I can get some gas for my Shelby?" :)

Yeah Don`t forget that some country`s pay 23 cents a gallon . SHORTAGE YOU SAY :doh:

Food for thought?

Yeah you said it LETS RIDE=== OH by the way did you know there are county`s that still sell gas for 23 cents a gallon :happy feet: :happy feet:

SHelby 001

Personally I hope that the revolution takes place as soon as possible. The more of those efficient people movers for the generally unaware they sell, the more they can devote to increasing the efficiency of performance cars. I love the smell of unburned hydrocarbons as much as anybody, but if somebody builds a 1500lb chassis with 4 200 hp electric engines for say 40k I would be all over that. Lets face it, oil and its derivitives are the cause of a lot of suffering past and present. Show me a better solution and I would gladly change my ways.

I personally work in the Canadian oilpatch and there is lots left. Canada is just now starting to develope one of the if not the largest oil reserves in the world. We are not running out of oil it is just getting harder to get at, and more expensive to refine. But at $70/bbl. companies can make a huge profit even with this higher overhead.

I just saw something on Discovery or the Science Channel about alternative engery cars. They had a rally from California to Washington, all kinds of fuels including electric, hybrids, one truck running on Vegetable oil, AND a 1964 Shelby Cobra donated by Carroll himself with a hydrogen fuel motor. Pretty cool, I thought. Not sure what kind of hp that put out, but it made me smile!!!!

I just saw something on Discovery or the Science Channel about alternative engery cars. They had a rally from California to Washington, all kinds of fuels including electric, hybrids, one truck running on Vegetable oil, AND a 1964 Shelby Cobra donated by Carroll himself with a hydrogen fuel motor. Pretty cool, I thought. Not sure what kind of hp that put out, but it made me smile!!!!

What we really need is a car with a toilet on the front bumper....mpe (miles per excrement).

Kinda reminds me of a story my dad used to tell about the guy who was born with an eye where is anus was supposed to be....he had a shitty outlook on life. :hysterical:

Dave :hysterical:

What we really need is a car with a toilet on the front bumper....mpe (miles per excrement).

Kinda reminds me of a story my dad used to tell about the guy who was born with an eye where is anus was supposed to be....he had a shitty outlook on life. :hysterical:

Dave :hysterical:

I know that guy. He's my boss' boss. He keeps complaining that my boss' nose keeps poking him in the eye!

Archived