TEAM SHELBY FORUM

High Mileage GT500's

jvmax

ok, so I have noticed most USED GT500's have under 1,000 miles. Since we all know that the GT500 is not a limited production car, how come I don't see any of them driven? What's funny is that I am seeing more miles on a FORD GT (roughly 4000 made and no longer produced) these days. Is it because the GT has been out since 2005, and the GT500 has been out for almost a year now? I would like to seriously pick up a used one with some miles for under $40k.

My car has 11,000 miles on it and if i were to sell it i wouldnt do it in the states.

I know these cars bring big money in Europe. Our fleet manager just bought a coupe at MSRP and were selling it for $53000 to our broker who is in turn making a few bucks to his buyer who is in Europe.

The people who are selling them with low miles are probably the ones who only bought it with a low ADM and are now turning them around. Anyone who has bought one and is driving it of course doesn't want to sell it. these cars are too fun to sell.

I know you said you wanted one for under $40K, but here's a great deal: 2007 GT500, 423 Miles, $48,500

ok, so I have noticed most USED GT500's have under 1,000 miles. Since we all know that the GT500 is not a limited production car, how come I don't see any of them driven? What's funny is that I am seeing more miles on a FORD GT (roughly 4000 made and no longer produced) these days. Is it because the GT has been out since 2005, and the GT500 has been out for almost a year now? I would like to seriously pick up a used one with some miles for under $40k.

Good luck finding a GT 500 for 40K - unless it is wrecked. Many folks are in the same boat that I am in i.e. we paid way over MSRP and plan to keep for a good long time. FORD GT production ended in Sept 2006 just as production of the GT500 was getting started - so there has been more opportunity to run miles up on the FORD GTs. I have a 2007 Shelby GT 500 and a 2006 FORD GT. My Shelby has 2500 miles on it and the FORD GT 3500 miles both cars are used as toys and only driven on nice days.

Welcome to StangsUnleashed jvmax!!

Thank You!!

As you can see in my CURRENT STABLE, all of my cars have miles on them as I like to drive them. I do not believe in Garage or Trailer Queens. No sense (to me) spending top dollar on a car and taking a hit in depreciation by putting miles on them. The cars in my collection were bought with miles already on them and with someone else taking the HIT. I enjoy driving my cars, and if I had a low mileage car I would hate to drive it.

I bought my GT500 in Jan. 07. Current milage is just over 6k. I enjoy driving the car on short road trips only, not as my daily driver, and I don't believe in buying a car and not driving it unless it's a specific "show" car. GT500's are for driving and are not a show car, and won't be worth a lot for about 20 years, and buy then, I'll be to damn old to driver her.

AZbud

My car has 11,000 miles on it and if i were to sell it i wouldnt do it in the states.

I know these cars bring big money in Europe. Our fleet manager just bought a coupe at MSRP and were selling it for $53000 to our broker who is in turn making a few bucks to his buyer who is in Europe.

I would be surprised if you got big money for a Shelby over here anymore as dealers that have new 07's are having difficulty moving them in the UK at the moment; even more so than the US dealers that are asking for a big ADM. Most of the journalists over here lambasted them because they are generally very close to the same price bracket as M3's and some of the other "more polished cars".

In fact the dealers that have them on their lots now are probably suffering a double whammy because they probably bought them when the dollar was worth more as well so not good news if your a dealer right now.

By the way I am a shelby fan and have my 08 being built at the moment so I am not bashing them by any means!

Jaime

That is the way to do it, buy 'em for the right money after they have taken the initial depreciation whack. Noticed that you have a '59 Skyliner. Super keeno car to have around and enjoy, very unique piece.

Yes, it's currently being restored. I bought it in 2004 as a non-running 43k mile garage find--parked since 1963. I just got it back from the body shop last month after a 2 year ordeal--they kinda took their time doing it. Now it's time to put it all back together, hopefully after the 1st of the year I will get started on it.

DSC01104.zip

I bought my GT500 in Jan. 07. Current milage is just over 6k. I enjoy driving the car on short road trips only, not as my daily driver, and I don't believe in buying a car and not driving it unless it's a specific "show" car. GT500's are for driving and are not a show car, and won't be worth a lot for about 20 years, and buy then, I'll be to damn old to driver her.

AZbud

i purchased my 07 gt500 in april and it turned 20,000 miles today.

get out and drive your cars before you lose value and sell it and never really had a chance tp enjoy it.

i love my drive to work in the morning and what better way to relax than drive a bad ass gt500 home at the end of a long day!

just my point of view.

everyone have a great holiday season.

DSC01104.zip

I would be surprised if you got big money for a Shelby over here anymore as dealers that have new 07's are having difficulty moving them in the UK at the moment; even more so than the US dealers that are asking for a big ADM. Most of the journalists over here lambasted them because they are generally very close to the same price bracket as M3's and some of the other "more polished cars".

In fact the dealers that have them on their lots now are probably suffering a double whammy because they probably bought them when the dollar was worth more as well so not good news if your a dealer right now.

By the way I am a shelby fan and have my 08 being built at the moment so I am not bashing them by any means!

Jaime

You're right about the British press not being very kind to the GT500. Here are a few examples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVYpZdyZh9E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BbXZN0Gkv4...34&index=31

The people who are selling them with low miles are probably the ones who only bought it with a low ADM and are now turning them around. Anyone who has bought one and is driving it of course doesn't want to sell it. these cars are too fun to sell.

I know you said you wanted one for under $40K, but here's a great deal: 2007 GT500, 423 Miles, $48,500

+1. Most people around here have purchased them with the intent of keeping it for awhile and drive them regularly, even though for most, it is not a daily driver. Mine currently has over 8,000 miles even though our winters limit me to 7 months per year.

You're right about the British press not being very kind to the GT500. Here are a few examples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVYpZdyZh9E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BbXZN0Gkv4...34&index=31

a little over blatantly honest IMO

DSC01104.zip

20K miles!!!! That's some driving for sure :shift: Surely you have the most miles of any GT500 so far!

I put 5,495 miles on mine in 73 days before leaving her behind...

Merry Christmas and Drive a Mile for Me!

Keith

DSC01104.zip

get out and drive your cars before you lose value and sell it and never really had a chance tp enjoy it.

i love my drive to work in the morning and what better way to relax than drive a bad ass gt500 home at the end of a long day!

just my point of view.

Still learning how to correctly post on this site.

I am in total agreement with you regarding driving these cars. I am continuing to drive the car throught the winter on good days without rain, snow, ice, etc. Have been able to drive the car several days. On cool mornings tires are firm, but otherwise not much trouble. Have slightly over 3K miles in 4 months. I know this is not as easy to do in more northern areas. The car is just too much fun to park for very long!

DSC01104.zip

just my point of view.

Most can't drive em, because they're snowed in. Kelly Blue Book Retail prices are interesting for the 2007's. even cars with higher milage. 60K+ . . .

:hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2:

Jaime

Would love to see some pics of UK-equipped cars and the differences. Such as tail lights, marker lamps, and so on. Do they make any in right hand drive? :hysterical:

Would love to see some pics of UK-equipped cars and the differences. Such as tail lights, marker lamps, and so on. Do they make any in right hand drive? :hysterical:

I have a few pics at work from a shipping company that shipped my Jeep over that sells Roush mustangs that shows the work they do to make them street legal over here. Its not that extensive really, new headlights (different pattern so you don't blind the other lane to the right of you), new side blinker/marker lights on the front fenders, they change the tail lights cluster so blinkers are amber, and they add a small red fog light in the rear.

As for right hand drive, yes you can have them converted but most people don't. It costs about £5k to have it done here ($10k US) but these cars are considered pretty cheap over here generally because of the exchange rate even with the shipping, conversion costs, and import duty of 17.5%.

To give you an idea a VW golf GTI in the UK costs around £21k I believe and with current exchange rates that's over $42k US!!!

Will see if I can find any pics of right hand drive mustangs and send them to you.

By the way awesome color combo on your Shelby!

Jaime

20K miles!!!! That's some driving for sure :shift: Surely you have the most miles of any GT500 so far!

I put 5,495 miles on mine in 73 days before leaving her behind...

Merry Christmas and Drive a Mile for Me!

Keith

good luck over there and i salute our military folks.you'll have lots of time to drive you gt500 when you get home.

george

Close to 2000 miles on mine in 4 months. Will likely average 5-7 thousand a year for the next couple of years. Round trip to work is less than 6 miles. That helps. Sometimes I go home on a longer route or find an excuse to do some non-essential errand just to drive it more. If I'm able to add a Challenger and Camaro then the Shelby's miles will be less per year.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the GT500 was a limited production car?? Why do you say that?

Archived