TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Son got pulled over in the GT 500 today.

Mr. Shelby Guy

So I get a call at work today from my son. He is 20 and had just finished finals at college and I decided to let him take the Shelby out so he can get some fresh air. He has driven the car before and has grown up with high performance cars all of his life, so I trust him. He calls me and tells me he got pulled over by a cop. Apparently, they were both going opposite directions, and as soon as the cop saw him, he made a U-Turn in the middle of the street and turned on his lights. They pulled into a gas station and the cop asked if he needed to be anywhere soon. My son told him he was just enjoying the fresh air, and the cop said "That's good. You didn't do anything wrong, I just wanted to look at the car." The cop was an older man and owns a 2006 Mustang GT. He grew up with the muscle cars and has always enjoyed Mustangs and Shelbys. He looked at the car for a good 20 minutes. He told my son that he had never seen a 2007 GT500 in person, so when he saw him he had to take a look at it. He did apologize if he scared him. After he was done, he said to my son to be careful and they drove off. I thought this was a worthwhile story to share with you guys.

LOVE IT! Great story, thanks for sharing.

cool story - We've had 2 similar experiences and one that reminds me of the one good thing about winter here in the midwest....the car is stored for now so I am getting through the next few months of probation (deferral program) with nothing more than my crappy jeep to drive. The crappy jeep is getting re-done currently though and I am one plastic interior panel away from fully back to stock and totally functional on that heap. Then I'll throw a lift kit etc on there and make at least look cool even if it is still a heap.....it's a nice winter car with the 4wd but doesn't get pulled over for viewing ever:)

LOVE IT! Great story, thanks for sharing.

SONOFGT

love the story too .. love your picture too !!!

I bought my cars out of state.Indiana reguires police inspection before getting your plates. Both times state cops wanted to ride after looking over the cars. They enjoyed the ride one said just keep on going my car my car wont even come close to keeping up. Most cops are more interested but im sure some dont have that opion.Good your son gets to enjoy the ride!

That's a nice story with a nice outcome, but I wonder how many times cops stop people to look at their cars and the owners when the owners really do need to be somewhere soon. Puts you in a bind. Don't want to be a dink to the cop, buy don't want someone slobbering over their car while holding them up.

Been there..........twice. Both cops said the same thing, "Just want to look at the car".

I wish I could say the same. Had mine a year in Aug. and got pulled over this past Oct. No love for the Shelby in Garland, TX

at least not by the chopper copper.

The chances of that happening around here are slim to nill, Oakland PD is way too under staffed and they haven't got the time to site-see, let alone write tickets, and I've come to believe that the California Highway Patrol, at least the urban stations, see all sports car/muscle car/ricer car owners as violators...If the CHP had their way, we'd all be driving Toyota Prius' limited to 70 mph with electronic reporting of all violations committed.

I'm not sure how I'd react to a "look-see" traffic stop, but I'm a habitual violator of most vehicle code laws...One thing for sure, I'd never trust myself at 20 years old with a 500hp car and I'm kinda glad that my Dad never did either :hysterical:

Been there..........twice. Both cops said the same thing, "Just want to look at the car".

+2,i have been very lucky.i have been pulled over for no tickets but lots of looksies by the coppers too with all my cars. i quess they are car guys too!

Glad you guys liked the story. I got to thinking about it and wouldn't it be nice to put some cop lights on a car and pull nice cars over just to look at them? Usually the cops around here are pretty tough. Alot of parents here buy their kids some hot cars, so whenever they see a kid with a fast-looking car, they normally get pulled over and get a ticket. It's a good thing he got pulled over by a car guy.

I'm a cop. I love my Shelby. And I can honestly say, if I did not have one and saw one driving down the road, I'd be hard pressed not to stop one just to look. I too would make very sure the driver was not in a hurry and didn't mind the inconvienence.

Somethings are to cool pass up!

That's not fair I got a ticket yestarday. Cop loved my car and I thought he was gonna let me off, but nah he got me. At least he didn't get me in full excelleration!!!! He asked how fast I was going before he got me at 73 and I said, you're not going to change the ticket are you? He said no, so I told him I was doing 105.

it would be nice that evertime your pulled over just to look at the car they put a note

on the car computer and you get a warning the next time you could get a ticket. its nice they like

the car, but to pull you over just to see the car should not be allowed

Cop pulling you over for no reasonable cause is Bullshit!! What if you told her son if you get a ticket I,ll kick your AZZ and you'll never drive this car again,so son you have been warned.

Now boy see the red lights and he freaks out and starts to run. So here we have a scared kid hauling AZZ because he's more scared about daddy than the cops.

The story ends with son wrapping car around telephone pole and he's dead, why oh because the cop wanted to see the car ,WHAT?????? If cops want to see a Shelby go down to the Dealership...we did!!!! Have a nice no pull over day!! BillyRay

post-3364-1198265465.jpg

post-3364-1198862888_thumb.jpg

post-3364-1198265465.jpg

post-3364-1198862888_thumb.jpg

Man, in other states it sure is lax for a police officer to pull you over - for no reason. At least here in California, and I can't imagine it is not the same in other states, a traffic stop is a De facto arrest; you are required to stop when the little solid red light comes on. You are taking away the movement of a citizen as they travel about. I would hate to see an officer who just wanted to "see" the car, light up a Shelby only to see the vehicle take off, maybe being stolen or the driver had just committed a crime, and run a stop sign killing an innocent citizen. That would be pretty hard to explain.

Oh well, California is pretty strict on all sorts of crap. Glad your son had a positive experience with the police though.

............ I would hate to see an officer who just wanted to "see" the car, light up a Shelby only to see the vehicle take off, maybe being stolen or the driver had just committed a crime, and run a stop sign killing an innocent citizen. That would be pretty hard to explain.

Not meant as a flame but.....how would it be hard to explain if someone ran from you? A cop can pull you over for a million and one reasons, even if he just wanted to "look" at the car. Hey, didn't you just drive over the yellow line? I got pulled over for that once and i knew it was "profiling". I was on the road in a junk box and it was prime drunk-driving time and he simply pulled me over for no reason other to see if i was intoxicated. I have absolutely no problem with that.

Not meant as a flame but.....how would it be hard to explain if someone ran from you? A cop can pull you over for a million and one reasons, even if he just wanted to "look" at the car. Hey, didn't you just drive over the yellow line? I got pulled over for that once and i knew it was "profiling". I was on the road in a junk box and it was prime drunk-driving time and he simply pulled me over for no reason other to see if i was intoxicated. I have absolutely no problem with that.

Not taken as a flame...It is a violation of someones rights to pull them over "just to look at their car." I supose one could make up all sorts of reasons, but in the situation you are giving it is just to look at the car. The Vehicle Code is around three inches thick here. Full of excuses to pull a vehicle over with. Personally, I wouldn't want to put myself in the position to have to stretch it. I have had too much stuff go wrong as it is.

The chances of that happening around here are slim to nill, Oakland PD is way too under staffed and they haven't got the time to site-see, let alone write tickets, and I've come to believe that the California Highway Patrol, at least the urban stations, see all sports car/muscle car/ricer car owners as violators...If the CHP had their way, we'd all be driving Toyota Prius' limited to 70 mph with electronic reporting of all violations committed.

I'm not sure how I'd react to a "look-see" traffic stop, but I'm a habitual violator of most vehicle code laws...One thing for sure, I'd never trust myself at 20 years old with a 500hp car and I'm kinda glad that my Dad never did either :hysterical:

Im a bike cop in Malibu (LA Sheriffs) and I would be willing to bet that I give more tickets to Prius's than any other model out there. Those things are always speeding (I am not kidding). I have pulled over 4 Shelbys, 2 old, 1 new GT500, and 1 guy renting a Hertz. The final score was Shelby Mustang drivers 3 warnings, Cops 1 ticket. The guy who got the cite was the Hertz who was kind of a jerk. Walking up to his car I would have given him 80% odds of getting off but he kind of screwed that up. He later wrote a letter to Automobile magazine saying how he made it from Pacific Plsds to the north (technically west) end of Malibu in 20 minutes while racing a Porsche and some other car. He was hauling *** but he wasnt racing anyone or at least that I saw. He was definetly the author of the letter. I remembered his last name and his PA drivers license. The fact that it was the only Shelby cited (and I hope the last) made it easy to rember as well.

I still dont have my GT500. I spent xmas eve and today at both Galpin and Vista Ford. The lowest price I got was 3K over at Galpin and 5K over at Vista. Ill wont pay a penny over MSRP (its a matter of principle to me) but then again you guys are enjoying your GT500s and im not. Have fun.

Im a bike cop in Malibu (LA Sheriffs) and I would be willing to bet that I give more tickets to Prius's than any other model out there. Those things are always speeding (I am not kidding). I have pulled over 4 Shelbys, 2 old, 1 new GT500, and 1 guy renting a Hertz. The final score was Shelby Mustang drivers 3 warnings, Cops 1 ticket. The guy who got the cite was the Hertz who was kind of a jerk. Walking up to his car I would have given him 80% odds of getting off but he kind of screwed that up. He later wrote a letter to Automobile magazine saying how he made it from Pacific Plsds to the north (technically west) end of Malibu in 20 minutes while racing a Porsche and some other car. He was hauling *** but he wasnt racing anyone or at least that I saw. He was definetly the author of the letter. I remembered his last name and his PA drivers license. The fact that it was the only Shelby cited (and I hope the last) made it easy to rember as well.

I still dont have my GT500. I spent xmas eve and today at both Galpin and Vista Ford. The lowest price I got was 3K over at Galpin and 5K over at Vista. Ill wont pay a penny over MSRP (its a matter of principle to me) but then again you guys are enjoying your GT500s and im not. Have fun.

Most people who have bought and drive a GT500 are car enthusiast who are respectful of the police. There is not a car on the road that if followed by a police office does not violate some law in the hundreds if not thousands of traffic laws on the books. I stated in an earlier post that “I would be hard pressed not to stop a GT500 (if I didn’t have one) just to see it”, but rest assured that was only a comment and I would not actually do that, for some of the same reasons posted earlier. Who knows, the guy driving may not be a car enthusiast but rather a car theft!! I don’t know anyone who bought a GT500 that doesn’t enjoy people looking, talking and reminiscing about the past, so just because that person is a cop should not make a difference. Remember most cops are car buffs and if you act respectfully you’re pretty much guaranteed a warning.

I know as a cop, you’re not going to want to reminisce or show your car off if I give you a ticket!!!

Relax have fun and drive safely. If you get stopped be polite and you’ll probable continue having a good day.

And for PCHMOTOHO: Spend the 3-5K get the car and start enjoying it. Well worth the money!

Most people who have bought and drive a GT500 are car enthusiast who are respectful of the police. There is not a car on the road that if followed by a police office does not violate some law in the hundreds if not thousands of traffic laws on the books. I stated in an earlier post that “I would be hard pressed not to stop a GT500 (if I didn’t have one) just to see it”, but rest assured that was only a comment and I would not actually do that, for some of the same reasons posted earlier. Who knows, the guy driving may not be a car enthusiast but rather a car theft!! I don’t know anyone who bought a GT500 that doesn’t enjoy people looking, talking and reminiscing about the past, so just because that person is a cop should not make a difference. Remember most cops are car buffs and if you act respectfully you’re pretty much guaranteed a warning.

I know as a cop, you’re not going to want to reminisce or show your car off if I give you a ticket!!!

Relax have fun and drive safely. If you get stopped be polite and you’ll probable continue having a good day.

And for PCHMOTOHO: Spend the 3-5K get the car and start enjoying it. Well worth the money!

I would never pull a guy over just to look at his car but being on a bike I am able to pull up alongside them and start a conversation regarding his car. More often than not the driver asks if I want to check the car out and before you know if we are both on the side of the road but it is by the drivers choice and not mine.

Anyone remember the old Cobra ad showing one pulled over with a couple bike cops checking that one out. I guess this is a fairly common problem when you drive a CS product.

No doubt it is worth the 3 -5K over. Ill probably go for it if they dont come down by March.

I would never pull a guy over just to look at his car but being on a bike I am able to pull up alongside them and start a conversation regarding his car. More often than not the driver asks if I want to check the car out and before you know if we are both on the side of the road but it is by the drivers choice and not mine.

Anyone remember the old Cobra ad showing one pulled over with a couple bike cops checking that one out. I guess this is a fairly common problem when you drive a CS product.

No doubt it is worth the 3 -5K over. Ill probably go for it if they dont come down by March.

They're already down. See many of the For Sale posts on this site. You just might have to travel for it, though. The best part of that is, of course, the drive home! :headspin:

I went to Ontario (2,200 miles) and Vegas (1,300 miles) for mine. Well worth it... :shift:

Interesting to have your perspectives from the other side (LEO vs. driver). I haven't been stopped yet, knock on wood... Thanks for sharing.

They're already down. See many of the For Sale posts on this site. You just might have to travel for it, though. The best part of that is, of course, the drive home! :headspin:

I went to Ontario (2,200 miles) and Vegas (1,300 miles) for mine. Well worth it... :shift:

Interesting to have your perspectives from the other side (LEO vs. driver). I haven't been stopped yet, knock on wood... Thanks for sharing.

I will check out the for sale section right now. I was in Dallas about 6 weeks ago but couldnt even find a dealer that had one. Thanks for the tip!

Archived