TEAM SHELBY FORUM

For 600hp SS upgrades people only

JimC

Ok all you people that have verts and opted for the 600hp SS.

Would you all step up to the plate and pay the 700+hp price if you were to get all the same parts?

Same interior package

Same exterior package

Same suspension package

Same performance parts

Everything would be the same except the ragtop and the power tune. :happy feet:

Post your reply with a yes / no or other comment.

Add a short remark, this is not a bitch session keep it nice, and on point please.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would you all step up to the plate and pay the 700+hp price if you were to get all the same parts?

Same interior package

Same exterior package

Same suspension package

Same performance parts

Add a short 3 line remark, this is not a bitch session keep it nice, and on point please.

Sure, in a heartbeat, oh sorry, in a HOOFbeat. But I'll still be able to squeeze another 50 out of the engine with some additional mods after it's been SS'd. I'm not too concerned with 655 H.P. f'ing my chassis up provided that I keep an eye on the torque numbers. The only dilemma that I have right now is the light bar vs. a roll bar issue. The package comes with a light bar, but I would perfer having a proper roll bar get installed instead. If I install one on my own, then I have to contend with repairing the panels that were modded by SAI to accommodate the installation of the light bar, not to mention that I would technically be changing the registered configuration of the car too. But the advantages of having a proper roll bar might require making that modification.

Sorry, definately more than three lines.

I here you on the light bar, removing it will leave nasty holes.

one Shelby GT500 Cobra one Super snake package. with different power tunes. easyer and faster all the way around.

Same interior package

Same exterior package

Same suspension package

Same performance parts

Add a short remark, this is not a bitch session keep it nice, and on point please.

On the GT500's of yesterday,the rollbar configured into the strength of the unibody whereas the fastback's have a solid roof support.

How would the vert support the torque like the fastback? If it would,I would step up,after all that's the heartbeat of a Shelby,pure power and fun to drive,"Always".

Same interior package

Same exterior package

Same suspension package

Same performance parts

Yes I would....

but I thought we could get all the same parts except the blower... am I wrong?

What are the exact differences you are referring to?

Thanks

On the GT500's of yesterday,the rollbar configured into the strength of the unibody whereas the fastback's have a solid roof support.

How would the vert support the torque like the fastback? If it would,I would step up,after all that's the heartbeat of a Shelby,pure power and fun to drive,"Always".

Agree on both points. If vert owners wanted drag strip power, we would have bought a coup, right.

We are not talking about getting all the power of the 700+HP.

The power tune would remain 605hp for the very reason you state. No one wants to twist up their car.

Yes on the light bar of yesterday, but the light bar of today is just show and tell. There are better bars that do add real support only

they don't have light.

They do however, cost the same as the light bar. That is really all it is a "light bar".

It adds weight, it ties into the vert motor and anytime you tie into an electrical system, you create a future electrical problem. Anything that uses electrical power requires HP, which decreases the usable HP. Every little bit makes a big difference when you need it most.

The top motor has a limited life to start with so why shorten it even more by tapping into it.

All that is being said is " there is only 1 GT500 Shleby there should be only one GT 500 SS upgrade. except for the tune.

Id rather add my own bar and use one that help the strength of the car rather then get one because it "looks cool" not impressed by looks cool.

Yes I would....

but I thought we could get all the same parts except the blower... am I wrong?

What are the exact differences you are referring to?

Thanks

Blower

Drive shaft

not sure if they changed the exhaust system, the 700 package was/is getting a complete system the 600 package is cats back only.

the 600hp blower is kinda of weak.

There may be some suspension parts not sure things change all the time.

I want a real SS not one with lesser parts or a baby SS package.

They can keep the power tune at 605hp, don't have a problem with that, I understand why they want to do that.

But I don't want to pay for a package that is inferior, and later on in life will be devalued because of the parts used, or classified as not as good, or the cheaper SS package etc.

And that’s what will happen. Vert owners will lose value if they are not all built the same.

I'd rather buck up the extra fund tickets up front for the real deal.

I also believe this will cost Shelby Autos less in the short and long run and will make all the SS cars more valuable in the long run.

One-GT500 Shelby One-GT500 Shelby SS.

Blower

Drive shaft

not sure if they changed the exhaust system, the 700 package was/is getting a complete system the 600 package is cats back only.

the 600hp blower is kinda of weak.

There may be some suspension parts not sure things change all the time.

I want a real SS not one with lesser parts or a baby SS package.

They can keep the power tune at 605hp, don't have a problem with that, I understand why they want to do that.

But I don't want to pay for a package that is inferior, and later on in life will be devalued because of the parts used, or classified as not as good, or the cheaper SS package etc.

And that’s what will happen. Vert owners will lose value if they are not all built the same.

I'd rather buck up the extra fund tickets up front for the real deal.

I also believe this will cost Shelby Autos less in the short and long run and will make all the SS cars more valuable in the long run.

One-GT500 Shelby One-GT500 Shelby SS.

I agree!! You make very valid points! I wonder if this will actually change things. Are they too close to actual produstion start? I agree so much about the HP the lesser tune is fine by me. When you leave them you can do whatever you want. I'm sure some will increase the the hp anyway....

The parts should be standard on all. I couldn't agree more!! I will ask for the 700hp parts anyway. Why do something so pricey and then skip out on the couple items..... makes no sense!

Hopefully someone at SAI sees this and comments..... Chris, Amy, Bud, anyone???

Thanks!!!

I agree!! You make very valid points! I wonder if this will actually change things. Are they too close to actual produstion start? I agree so much about the HP the lesser tune is fine by me. When you leave them you can do whatever you want. I'm sure some will increase the the hp anyway....

The parts should be standard on all. I couldn't agree more!! I will ask for the 700hp parts anyway. Why do something so pricey and then skip out on the couple items..... makes no sense!

Hopefully someone at SAI sees this and comments..... Chris, Amy, Bud, anyone???

Thanks!!!

Thanks, people in this forum are already refering the the 600hp package as the cookie cutter package.

They are being nice.

As the SS is becomes more known on the street I have heard the 600hp package refered to as the "CHEEP version" and "NOT THE REAL SS"

This is not a good sign for people who will get the 600hp package or for Shelby. It will hurt all of us.

I do hope someone take a good hard look at this, and figures out what they can do.

I don't believe they want to put out a SS that is concidered inferior anymore then we want to own one.

IMO, 700HP is just too much. It will be hard just to control the wheel spin with 600HP.

Not going to get an argument from me. If I wanted 700+ hp I wouln not have bought a vert and I would most likely plan to spend lots of time at the D/S.

If I want to do that I would not have opted for the SS. I, you and everyone else can get much more power then we need without waiting but with out the Carroll Shelby name.

People that opted for the SS package did it because we want a Carroll Shelby "SS Shelby" not a aftermarket Shelby, and we didn't do it because we wanted raw stupid power, we want a balance of power, suspension, handling and saftey.

Yes I like power just as much as the rest of you I bet even more. Power is not what we are talking about here, can we please move past that?

One Ford GT500 Shelby Cobra - One Ford GT500 Shelby Cobra Super Snake

identical except for the ragtop and power tune.

A can, lean, mean, machine, that a big tourch to maintain and public preception; weather right or wrong can make or break it.

If I got the 700hp package and didn't get the warranty and someone got the 600 package with everything I got and still had a warranty I would be ticked off.

Nothing to be ticked off about IMO..... I could care less about the warranty!!

I just want a SS done the right way!! I think we need to focus on more than just HP...

Anyone here could get more than 700hp for less than $30K.... let's be honest!

I think we just want a great package FROM Shelby!!!

I just want a SS done the right way!! I think we need to focus on more than just HP...

Sorry did not mean to come off as "ticked off" I'm not. I just want to make sure we stay on topic and

to your points: agree, agree, agree, agree very true, yes strongly agree.

If I got the 700hp package and didn't get the warranty and someone got the 600 package with everything I got and still had a warranty I would be ticked off.

Valid point, I'd be PO'ed as well. :banghead::redcard:

So Dam the warrenty one car one package. only difference - power tune and ragtop. :happy feet:

Don't think anyone would hold the warrenty issue against you.

Same interior package

Same exterior package

Same suspension package

Same performance parts

Jim,

I am waiting to be called to schedule the SS install on my vert.

I like the way you think and you make some very good points but I think it may be to late.

The last Super Snake update dated 11-30-07 stated that:

"The first 10 cars have been called in for production."

and someone on this forum mentioned that they were all verts.

If they started vert production already I'm sure that SAI has the parts in inventory

and so I don't think they are going to change the 600hp package.

Alan

Jim,

I am waiting to be called to schedule the SS install on my vert.

I like the way you think and you make some very good points but I think it may be to late.

The last Super Snake update dated 11-30-07 stated that:

"The first 10 cars have been called in for production."

and someone on this forum mentioned that they were all verts.

If they started vert production already I'm sure that SAI has the parts in inventory

and so I don't think they are going to change the 600hp package.

Alan

Gotta keep tryen till the end cause its never to late till its over.

I hope you get yours soon, whats your CSM# ?

I agree if you just want HP maybe the SS is not for you as you can get it for less $$$$. I personally want the whole package and a quality one, from Shelby.

Jim,

If I may attempt to clarify your POV on this issue:

1. You don't have an issue with either the 600 HP conversion or the 700 HP conversion; your issue with the two is that there should be only one HP rating for the package not two; and for obvious reasons it should only be the 700 HP verson and have full warranty.

2. As a result of having two different HP ratings, you are stating that the 600 HP package is already being touted by some on the street as not having any credibilty because of the exsistance of the 700 HP package that trumps it.

3. Although anyone of us could easly build our cars to exceed 800 HP for less than 30K, those of us who have commited ourselves to the 30K conversion by SAI did so because we desire the quality components and work that SAI offers.

Did I miss anything?

Thanks!

Id rather add my own bar and use one that help the strength of the car rather then get one because it "looks cool" not impressed by looks cool.

Putting my old mechanical engineer hat on for a moment......in my eyes what adds strength and/or HP and is still light weight is what looks cool-a bunch of chrome fluff is just that-fluff. In other words OPTIMIZED is what's cool.

Jim,

1. You don't have an issue with either the 600 HP conversion or the 700 HP conversion; your issue with the two is that there should be only one HP rating for the package not two; and for obvious reasons it should only be the 700 HP verson and have full warranty.

No, two HP artings is OK, since verts will only be able to go to 600HP, what is being asked is SAME components with TWO tunes, one at 600HP and one at 700HP.

Jim,

2. As a result of having two different HP ratings, you are stating that the 600 HP package is already being touted by some on the street as not having any credibilty because of the exsistance of the 700 HP package that trumps it.

3. Although anyone of us could easly build our cars to exceed 800 HP for less than 30K, those of us who have commited ourselves to the 30K conversion by SAI did so because we desire the quality components and work that SAI offers.

Did I miss anything? [size="6]YES![/size]

Thanks!

I don't want to get boxed in and labeled as a chit head here.

SAI listen to us and is making changes like the addition of the panhard bar .

So all those SAI folks dropping in do not get the wrong impression, THIS IS NOT A BITCH SESSION!

This question started in "Super Snake Improvement Ideas" thread. It is a discussion with the hope of providing well-intended viewpoint of vert people, an in site to what I’ve heard on the street, and what may possible happen later down the line as a result of perception.

I would leave it up to the other vet and coup owner to speak for themselves with a ya or na.

With that in mind, I will attempt to reply.

Yes, you miss the point.

The only different between the convertible and the coup should be:

1- the ragtop i.e., the vert is a ragtop the coup is solid none movable top.

2- the power tune, the convertible has 605hp at the crank the coup has 725hp at the crank.

To your points 1-3.

1- Yes / then no

Yes all parts and components should be the same.

A- interior - the same parts – currently the same

B- exterior - the same parts – currently the same

C- suspension - the same parts - ?? currently not the same

D- drive train - the same parts - currently not the same

E- performance - the same parts - currently not the same

F- warranty - the same - currently not the same

G- The power - (600hp for the ragtop - 725 for the hardtop) no issue

#2 Wrong. It’s not a credibility issue:

The vert is still a real Shelby, built by Shelby. Its being stereo typed as the cheaper or baby Shelby that’s not as good. If you think about it, that is true if they don't use the same components.

My concern is that perception will affect the value to the vert later on down the line, and it could even affect the value of the coup later on down the line, which could in turn reflect back on SAI.

#3 Sounds right, no argument from me, I agree.

The question is to all the vert owner and SAI with feed back from the coup owner to keep things fair for all.

That question was/ is. "If SAI made one SS package with only one difference, (that difference being the power tune, 600hp for the verts and 725hp for the coups) would vert owners be willing to step up to the plate and pay the difference in cost? so far the answers have been { YES }

This concern is not the horse power, as you correctly stated any of us could add 800hp plus any time we wanted, its more about preception- future value and "uniformity" as SAI stated they want all SS leaving the plant to be the same and look the same.

Putting my old mechanical engineer hat on for a moment......in my eyes what adds strength and/or HP and is still light weight is what looks cool-a bunch of chrome fluff is just that-fluff. In other words OPTIMIZED is what's cool.

Nice to see other with the same point of view.

No, two HP artings is OK, since verts will only be able to go to 600HP, what is being asked is SAME components with TWO tunes, one at 600HP and one at 700HP.

I agree... I don't care if they (SAI) want me to leave there with 600HP on my vert..... a lesser tune is no biggie!!!

And imo who cares about the warranty?? How many miles per year do you guys drive that you actually think you need a warranty?? IMO the parts and the build will be stellar thereby making the warranty a bit unnecessary.... This is NOT mine or I'm sure most heres daily driver that the daily grind could make something like a warranty useful and or needed. Just thinking aloud (or typing)....

Thanks!

I agree... I don't care if they (SAI) want me to leave there with 600HP on my vert..... a lesser tune is no biggie!!!

And imo who cares about the warranty?? How many miles per year do you guys drive that you actually think you need a warranty?? IMO the parts and the build will be stellar thereby making the warranty a bit unnecessary.... This is NOT mine or I'm sure most heres daily driver that the daily grind could make something like a warranty useful and or needed. Just thinking aloud (or typing)....

Thanks!

Excatly The warranty is useless, at best, its only as good as the dealer you take your car to.

Same SS - Same parts - same warranty - two power tunes.

Let me be the first dissenter here. I have no problem with the packages being offered, as they are now. Would I pay the extra $4,000 for my vert, for the KB instead of the FRPP blower, plus the driveshaft? No thanks. I don't expect any problems with the blower, and it maintains the warranty for what it's worth. If I eventually want even more power in my vert SS, I can get it and a new driveshaft, probably for less than $4,000. Why would I pay more money for less performance (although the driveshaft may be a good idea)?

There will likely be the same proportion of SS verts-to-coupes as sold verts-to-coupes, give or take. So by having the vert owners cough up extra money, how much would it reduce the overall package for everyone? About 20% of the difference, or $800. Big deal...

A baby SS? Fine, if someone wants to call it such, let them. Are you going to be intimidated by a couple of words? If you think 600HP with 3.73 gears is a baby, better wear your diapers while you drive it. You may need them when you scare the sh*t out of yourself. Or better yet, those "people on the street," whoever they may be. :o

I don't want to get boxed in and labeled as a chit head here.

SAI listen to us and is making changes like the addition of the panhard bar .

So all those SAI folks dropping in do not get the wrong impression, THIS IS NOT A BITCH SESSION!

This question started in "Super Snake Improvement Ideas" thread. It is a discussion with the hope of providing well-intended viewpoint of vert people, an in site to what I’ve heard on the street, and what may possible happen later down the line as a result of perception.

I would leave it up to the other vet and coup owner to speak for themselves with a ya or na.

With that in mind, I will attempt to reply.

Yes, you miss the point.

The only different between the convertible and the coup should be:

1- the ragtop i.e., the vert is a ragtop the coup is solid none movable top.

2- the power tune, the convertible has 605hp at the crank the coup has 725hp at the crank.

To your points 1-3.

1- Yes / then no

Yes all parts and components should be the same.

A- interior - the same parts – currently the same

B- exterior - the same parts – currently the same

C- suspension - the same parts - ?? currently not the same

D- drive train - the same parts - currently not the same

E- performance - the same parts - currently not the same

F- warranty - the same - currently not the same

G- The power - (600hp for the ragtop - 725 for the hardtop) no issue

#2 Wrong. It’s not a credibility issue:

The vert is still a real Shelby, built by Shelby. Its being stereo typed as the cheaper or baby Shelby that’s not as good. If you think about it, that is true if they don't use the same components.

My concern is that perception will affect the value to the vert later on down the line, and it could even affect the value of the coup later on down the line, which could in turn reflect back on SAI.

#3 Sounds right, no argument from me, I agree.

The question is to all the vert owner and SAI with feed back from the coup owner to keep things fair for all.

That question was/ is. "If SAI made one SS package with only one difference, (that difference being the power tune, 600hp for the verts and 725hp for the coups) would vert owners be willing to step up to the plate and pay the difference in cost? so far the answers have been { YES }

This concern is not the horse power, as you correctly stated any of us could add 800hp plus any time we wanted, its more about preception- future value and "uniformity" as SAI stated they want all SS leaving the plant to be the same and look the same.

First, let me say that my attempt to clarify your POV on this matter was not intended, nor an attempt to label or paint you as some sort of complainer about the car or the package, we all have our opinions and the right (more or less) to express them here.

I do understand and agree that it would have been better if there was only one package of components for both models and H.P. ratings; with the only difference being the model and 120 added H.P via a power tuner.

Do you know that SAI tried and tried hard to do just that, but the Eaton/Roush/FRPP blower couldn't puff the 5.4 up to 700 H.P., so they had to bring in the KB blower that could.

You might next say that SAI should have just accepted whatever maximum H.P. output that the FRPP blower could produce out of the 5.4 as the "Stage 2" or hardtop tune if you will, and establish the lower H.P. rating as the "Stage 1" or convertible tune, but going that route would not have met Carroll's mandate/desire to his staff that the SS will have 700+ H.P.

If the Convertible chassis and its extra bracing could have handled the massive torque that the 725 H.P. KB equipped 5.4 generates, then all SS 500's would have been rated at 725 H.P. But faced with the dilemma of falling short of Carroll's mandate or creating a two stage H.P. rating for both models only differentiated by a power tune, SAI decided to offer both.

In a nutshell, there are two H.P. ratings for the SS package because the convertible chassis can’t handle the torque of the 725 H.P. package, the FRPP blower is unable to generate 725 H.P., and because Carroll is, and always has been a “take no prisoners” type of competitor. As a result of that philosophy, he refuses to compromise H.P. over the possibility that one package might hurt the other’s future value or desire. What he’s saying is that if you want to go fast, buy a convertible, and if you want to go really fast, get yourself a hardtop.

I’m cool with that because in the end, I will drive my car with the top down much more than going out and racing someone for bragging rights. Our cars get a significant amount of respect on the road now, what do you think will happen when someone who knows about Shelby’s pulls up next to you and spots your SS badging and stripes?

Believe me from a business perspective, SAI would also rather only have one package too. That’s because now they have to stock and track multiple components for two different packages which is more expensive and less efficient to do, not using a FRPP researched and developed component voids the factory warranty, and I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if FRPP is not pissed off at SAI for using the KB blower as the 725 H.P. alternative. I also won’t be one bit surprised if the 725 H.P. package comes with a “for off road and competition use only, not intended for public roads” disclaimer when you sign the dotted line the day you pick the car up. We live in a litigious society now days; those types of disclaimers have become a fact of life necessity to protect corporation’s asses.

I’m about to own a 605 H.P. convertible. How many other car owners can say that? How many 600+ Viper owners are out there? How many do you think that you’ll run into? Hell, forget convertibles, how many other 600+ H.P. hardtop cars are you going to run into at all for that matter? Wouldn’t I want a 725H.P. convertible instead? Of course I would, but not if it makes the car unsafe or beats the crap out of the chassis and body panels. The last thing that I want is to stomp down on the accelerator pedal only to see my windshield fracture and pop out of its frame, and yes that exactly what will happen if the chassis gets twisted to the point where the body panels are deflected out of shape.

They way I see it, if I want to bring the H.P. up on my SS, all I need to do is just add a set of headers and exhaust similar to the 700 H.P. package, add a one piece driveshaft, and if I get to 655 H.P doing those changes, I’ll be happier than a pig in slop.

Let me be the first dissenter here. I have no problem with the packages being offered, as they are now. Would I pay the extra $4,000 for my vert, for the KB instead of the FRPP blower, plus the driveshaft? No thanks. I don't expect any problems with the blower, and it maintains the warranty for what it's worth. If I eventually want even more power in my vert SS, I can get it and a new driveshaft, probably for less than $4,000. Why would I pay more money for less performance (although the driveshaft may be a good idea)?

There will likely be the same proportion of SS verts-to-coupes as sold verts-to-coupes, give or take. So by having the vert owners cough up extra money, how much would it reduce the overall package for everyone? About 20% of the difference, or $800. Big deal...

A baby SS? Fine, if someone wants to call it such, let them. Are you going to be intimidated by a couple of words? If you think 600HP with 3.73 gears is a baby, better wear your diapers while you drive it. You may need them when you scare the sh*t out of yourself. Or better yet, those "people on the street," whoever they may be. :o

Re-do your math.....currently the 700+HP package is over $31,000.00.......if prices drop 20% as you stated, it woudl be a drop of over $6,000.00

I own a coupe, but want to have the same compoenets as teh 700+HP package with a 600 HP tune.......why? Beacuse I do not need more than teh 600 HP and want to have the best components and for that, I am willing to pay more.

Archived