TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Vs ZO6?

I have seen a few comments about compareing the two, and wanted to add my 2 cents. Performance wise, i don't expect the shelby to be anywhere close to the performance of the vet. Why? 700 lbs is why. That is a lot of weight to overcome, which puts the stang at a very serious disadvantage. Z06 Vet, 3000 as shipped i beleive. Mustang ? with the blower and heaveir block, 3800 lbs? The differance might even be 800 lbs.

Don't get me wrong, i think the Shelby is going to be one heck of a great car. It will have styling and character all its' own, not to mention great performance. Problem is, on a Hp to weight comparison, to go as fast at 3800 +200 for driver as you would at 3000 +200 for driver, look at the math.

The vette comes in at 6.34 lbs per hp. The mustang, to keep even would need 631 hp. And a bit of help in the traction department on top of it.

Do i feel bad about our beloved special stang being slower? Not at all. If Ford puts the same effort into a wild mustang that the engineers did at Chev, it will cost a few grand more for sure. Light parts and specially hand built motors doen't come cheap. Anyway, my thoughts are, don't bother comparing the two too much, it isn't fair to the stang.

Oh, and by the way, i drive an 06 Mustang GT with vista blue, 5 speed stick, and have a Saleen blower waiting for install after my checkup at the dealer this monday. I love this car. Best one i have ever owned, and i am 56. Being a bit crazy, i plan on making the GT as fast as possible and still get 18 plus MPG to work every day. That still may not equal the Z06, but it might just get his respect. I won't be far behind after building a bigger shortblock and kicking the boost up to 12 psi!!

Call me crazy but, you know what? I don't care. The car is going t be a lot of fun with potential to make up for most of its shortcomings. I have always been a Mustang fan and this one is the best so far. I am not, nor have I ever been a huge 'vette fan. No reluctance on this end. I'm goin' for it with bells on!

Haha. Hahahahaha. I read the title, and all I could do was laugh.

No. The Shelby will be nowhere close to Z06 territory. A more fair comparison (which still isnt fair) would be to a base C6. But your still comparing a tank to a sports car. They may be comparable in straight-line (and PRICE), but the C6 would waste the Shelby in anything where corners are involved, braking, well, pretty much anything not straight-line acceleration. Also, not close in build quality, features, amenities, etc.

It's a good thing this thing wasnt aimed at the Z, I would hate to imagine what that MUSTANG would cost... A $45k dissappointment is plenty for me. :rant:

(And as you can tell, yes, Im still a bit peeved about all of this... Had the car been priced at $35k, then fine. But the quality of materials/styling/weight/not much room for wider meats/designs to limit the aftermarket, etc, etc etc etc etc is really eating at me this morning.)

This is how I feel ------> :fan:

I'm sorry guys, for the negativity. I just feel betrayed right now.

They are giving us an underperforming $40k tank, 400 extra pounds, with a solid rear, drive-by-wire, and toque management, no room for meats, with a crappy weight distribution.

Can anyone tell me of the above, what the 03/04's came with? IRS, no BS Torque Management, no drive-by-wire.

IMO, $40k should get you a nice, capable IRS, and AT LEAST an aluminum block, to aid in the nose-heavy category. And some rods that wouldnt have to be changed for anything other than 'light' modding. Oh, and less fervent use of (unpainted) plastics!! Yay!

That leaves us with the powerplant. Might as well put it in an F-250 at this point.

Corner-cutting Mother :censored: 's!!!!

Sorry, goin to take Valium now. :hysterical:

It's like it's all starting to sink in. Now if I can just settle on a name... What do you guys think? Babe? or Wilbur?

[/Vent]

I have seen a few comments about compareing the two, and wanted to add my 2 cents. Performance wise, i don't expect the shelby to be anywhere close to the performance of the vet. Why? 700 lbs is why. That is a lot of weight to overcome, which puts the stang at a very serious disadvantage. Z06 Vet, 3000 as shipped i beleive. Mustang ? with the blower and heaveir block, 3800 lbs? The differance might even be 800 lbs.

Don't get me wrong, i think the Shelby is going to be one heck of a great car. It will have styling and character all its' own, not to mention great performance. Problem is, on a Hp to weight comparison, to go as fast at 3800 +200 for driver as you would at 3000 +200 for driver, look at the math.

The vette comes in at 6.34 lbs per hp. The mustang, to keep even would need 631 hp. And a bit of help in the traction department on top of it.

Do i feel bad about our beloved special stang being slower? Not at all. If Ford puts the same effort into a wild mustang that the engineers did at Chev, it will cost a few grand more for sure. Light parts and specially hand built motors doen't come cheap. Anyway, my thoughts are, don't bother comparing the two too much, it isn't fair to the stang.

Oh, and by the way, i drive an 06 Mustang GT with vista blue, 5 speed stick, and have a Saleen blower waiting for install after my checkup at the dealer this monday. I love this car. Best one i have ever owned, and i am 56. Being a bit crazy, i plan on making the GT as fast as possible and still get 18 plus MPG to work every day. That still may not equal the Z06, but it might just get his respect. I won't be far behind after building a bigger shortblock and kicking the boost up to 12 psi!!

MY FRIEND I NOTICED THAT THERTE IS ALOT TALK LATELY ABOUT THE Z06!THIS IS SHELBY GT 500SITE!IJUST WITH THE C6 COMPARE PRICE WITH THE GT500 I CAN BUY TWO SHELBY FOR ONE C6 I PERSONALLY I WOULD WANT THE SHELBY IT'S BETTER CAR THAN THE C6 :hysterical: NOW YOUR TALKING Z06!THE SHELBY IS SO GREAT THAT PEPOLE ARE COMPARING THE TWO BUT I THINK THE Z06 SHOULD BE COMPARED WITH THE FORD GT WHY[ PRICE,TWO SEAT'S ETC...]NOW WHEN YOU COMPARE THE Z06 WITH FORD GT I'M SURE ALL THE Z06 FAN'S WILL BE CRYING!!!!.ALSO GIVE ONE YEAR TIME AND I WILL BLOW ANY Z06 OF THE ROAD AFTER I PAY A VISITE TO MY FRIEND JOE[DASIVA RACING] HE OWNS A 6 SEC 1/4 MILE MUSTANG SEE YAA WOUDN'T WANT TO BE YA!! :hysterical:

MY FRIEND I NOTICED THAT THERTE IS ALOT TALK LATELY ABOUT THE Z06!THIS IS SHELBY GT 500SITE!IJUST WITH THE C6 COMPARE PRICE WITH THE GT500 I CAN BUY TWO SHELBY FOR ONE C6 I PERSONALLY I WOULD WANT THE SHELBY IT'S BETTER CAR THAN THE C6 :hysterical: NOW YOUR TALKING Z06!THE SHELBY IS SO GREAT THAT PEPOLE ARE COMPARING THE TWO BUT I THINK THE Z06 SHOULD BE COMPARED WITH THE FORD GT WHY[ PRICE,TWO SEAT'S ETC...]NOW WHEN YOU COMPARE THE Z06 WITH FORD GT I'M SURE ALL THE Z06 FAN'S WILL BE CRYING!!!!.ALSO GIVE ONE YEAR TIME AND I WILL BLOW ANY Z06 OF THE ROAD AFTER I PAY A VISITE TO MY FRIEND JOE[DASIVA RACING] HE OWNS A 6 SEC 1/4 MILE MUSTANG SEE YAA WOUDN'T WANT TO BE YA!! :hysterical:

Cool........you know J. DaSilva too??? He'll be doing my SCT tune soon enough. See you at the OSCA events and the J&P Reunion???

Cool........you know J. DaSilva too??? He'll be doing my SCT tune soon enough. See you at the OSCA events and the J&P Reunion???

the Best Guy for Mustang Tuning in Toronto!

tHANK'S SVTPOWER JOE IS ONE OF THE MAIN REASON'S I STAYED LOYAL TO MUSTANG'S.HE IS THE BEST GUY ! HE IS HONEST AND VERY FAIR AND WILL HELP YOU ANY WAY HE CAN.I KNOW JOE FOR ABOUT 12 YEAR'S KNOW HE TAKE'S CARE OF MY 93 LX THAT I HAVE MODIFEID.MAYBE US TORONTO GUY'S CAN MEET AT JOE'S ONE DAY OR ONE OF HIS EVENT'S .BEST OF LUCK TO ALL! :party: :bandance:

tHANK'S SVTPOWER JOE IS ONE OF THE MAIN REASON'S I STAYED LOYAL TO MUSTANG'S.HE IS THE BEST GUY ! HE IS HONEST AND VERY FAIR AND WILL HELP YOU ANY WAY HE CAN.I KNOW JOE FOR ABOUT 12 YEAR'S KNOW HE TAKE'S CARE OF MY 93 LX THAT I HAVE MODIFEID.MAYBE US TORONTO GUY'S CAN MEET AT JOE'S ONE DAY OR ONE OF HIS EVENT'S .BEST OF LUCK TO ALL! :party: :bandance:

Sounds good. I see Joe at every event and at the car shows. My good friend Louie of Ultimate Racing is friends with him too......they use to race in the same class. Joe does the SCT for him too. I too have gone back to my roots (Mustangs) because of these two.........they will do anything for you and Paul Silva too.

I think that we have all forgotten one critical aspect regarding the Stang vs. Vette comparison deal. As far back as I remember, the Camaro was always the car that the auto mags put up against the Mustang, not the Corvette. I wonder if the Magazines would have slected a Corvette to compare the Shelby to if GM was still making the SS Camaro or the TransAm Firechicken. One could spectulate that if the Camaro was still being made, by now GM would be producing a high horsepower version of the SS, and that the car mags would have used that SS to compare the Shelby to and not the Vette.

I think that we have all forgotten one critical aspect regarding the Stang vs. Vette comparison deal. As far back as I remember, the Camaro was always the car that the auto mags put up against the Mustang, not the Corvette. I wonder if the Magazines would have slected a Corvette to compare the Shelby to if GM was still making the SS Camaro or the TransAm Firechicken. One could spectulate that if the Camaro was still being made, by now GM would be producing a high horsepower version of the SS, and that the car mags would have used that SS to compare the Shelby to and not the Vette.

FWIW, I think the comparison with the vette is appropriate. Comparisons should be made among available alternatives similar in price and purpose...and the Corvette is the likely candidate. It's not a perfect substitution for the GT500, but it certainly isn't apples to oranges. So, I guess I'm missing why the Mustang/Camaro rivalry is a critical aspect of this issue...

Speaking of Dasilva racing they have their new Dyno in. If anyone is planning on taking their GT 500 in to be dyno'd please let the guys on the forum know I'd love to be there. I May be a while in getting my car...this one a month thing is putting me way back...and I'm top five....WOW..

I also agree with the above the Camaro would be the logical comparison, in fact a number of my fiiends have said they would take me with their Iroc's...I didn't say anything but I'd love going to woodbridge to spank these guys...Guess we'll see...The corvett is a bad comparison...how did that ever get started..ones a two seater the other is a four...right there that should tell you something...

Cheers,

Requis

...I also changed my colors...damn I'm weak.

Speaking of Dasilva racing they have their new Dyno in. If anyone is planning on taking their GT 500 in to be dyno'd please let the guys on the forum know I'd love to be there. I May be a while in getting my car...this one a month thing is putting me way back...and I'm top five....WOW..

I also agree with the above the Camaro would be the logical comparison, in fact a number of my fiiends have said they would take me with their Iroc's...I didn't say anything but I'd love going to woodbridge to spank these guys...Guess we'll see...The corvett is a bad comparison...how did that ever get started..ones a two seater the other is a four...right there that should tell you something...

Cheers,

Requis

i will get mine in before the winter because also i am #3 on the list meaning sep :rant: as soon as I can get on the dyno I will post but some other guy's are #1 meaning july bee cool if they can get on early! :happy feet: BEST OF LUCK!

Cheers,

Requis

:doh: Oh no!!...........what colors??

I was at my dealer today and got good news. My Dora was dated May 19!! There's a possibility I may get my car in July.

Joe DaSilva is a very good friend of mine, he and his guys are the only guys to wrench on my car's. I've already been talking to him about a pulley snout, tune, maybe exhaust after I put about 1000 or k's on it. I will definitely do a baseline as well so assuming I get it in July by August I'll have it on the dyno.

As for the Z06 comparison, I don't really give a flying Walendo! After a little tweaking I won't back down, hell I won't back down before tweaking, I'm not skeered :D I'll run them in my Bullit . There's a lot of factors when racing at the track. You get some guy with a mega cash Z06 that granny shifts.... you never know.

Either way win or lose, and I have lost my fair share of races I'll still run them

FWIW, I think the comparison with the vette is appropriate. Comparisons should be made among available alternatives similar in price and purpose...and the Corvette is the likely candidate. It's not a perfect substitution for the GT500, but it certainly isn't apples to oranges. So, I guess I'm missing why the Mustang/Camaro rivalry is a critical aspect of this issue...

The weight issue. I agree with you that the Vette is not the perfect substitution for the 500, and that's my point. Because as far as testing similar alternative vehicles bounded by price and purpose as you stated, wouldn't you agree that the Dodge Daytona SRT8 would meet that catagory closer than the Corvette does? The SRT8 has a back seat as the Shelby does, and the Vette doesn't. Although the SRT8 has four doors, and heaver (4,160), it's still closer in weight to the Shelby than the Vette is. The horsepower difference between the SRT8 and the Shelby is 75 HP, the Vette is 100. I suppose that we have to look at what the Editor's objective was when he tasked the article to the writer. Because if the objective was to report the differences between specific performance data of two similar classed cars, then I believe that they failed to meet that objective in all of the articles. In my opinion, if a magazine publishes an article about performance data, and the compared vehicles are not apples vs. apples (or at least really GD close), then it should be prominently indicated as such. 100 horsepower is not enough to overcome 950 added pounds against a stopwatch, and that weight figure is only if the test driver weighed 150 Lbs or so. The historical rivalry between the Camaro and the Mustang exsists because the Camaro was orginally designed, developed and brought out in 67' to compete with the then two-year-old, white hot selling Mustang! The Mustang was not developed or brought out to go after Corvette sales. The Editors of all three articles chose the Corvette because it is the only vehicle in Chevrolet's performance stable at the moment, and because the Camaro does not exsist anymore. And they compared a GM product over a Dodge product because they wanted to continue to perpetuate the grand debate of Chevy vs. Ford because it sells magazines. Hell, the GTO would even be closer to compare than the Vette is.

I was at my dealer today and got good news. My Dora was dated May 19!! There's a possibility I may get my car in July.

Joe DaSilva is a very good friend of mine, he and his guys are the only guys to wrench on my car's. I've already been talking to him about a pulley snout, tune, maybe exhaust after I put about 1000 or k's on it. I will definitely do a baseline as well so assuming I get it in July by August I'll have it on the dyno.

As for the Z06 comparison, I don't really give a flying Walendo! After a little tweaking I won't back down, hell I won't back down before tweaking, I'm not skeered :D I'll run them in my Bullit . There's a lot of factors when racing at the track. You get some guy with a mega cash Z06 that granny shifts.... you never know.

Either way win or lose, and I have lost my fair share of races I'll still run them

That is awesome!!!! Call me when you go to drop it in...hell call me when your picking up the car. I'm getting mixed information from the dealer...Glad to see your lined up!!

Requis!

...Switched to Blue with White Stripe....I know....I decided I wanted blue Steele :) yah that is cheesy but hey my 5 year old said Dad blue looks better,,it kinda does... :doh:

Comparing a 06 Z06 to this car is idiotic. The Z06 is a supercar, the GT500 is not.

Dude, not again?

That is awesome!!!! Call me when you go to drop it in...hell call me when your picking up the car. I'm getting mixed information from the dealer...Glad to see your lined up!!

Requis!

...Switched to Blue with White Stripe....I know....I decided I wanted blue Steele :) yah that is cheesy but hey my 5 year old said Dad blue looks better,,it kinda does... :doh:

Hey congrats on the colour change. Everything is looking good finally. One small detail and I can call you later to tell you about it.

Comparing a 06 Z06 to this car is idiotic. The Z06 is a supercar, the GT500 is not.

I don't know what your definition of supercar is, but it doesn't jive with mine. The term supercar first showed up to mean any late model midsize car with a big motor back in the 60s. Pony car? maybe. Sports car, vette to some., but not the mustang to me. Lets just say i like to think of the new GTs as something special, and i haven't come up with a good enough handle for em yet!

Archived