TEAM SHELBY FORUM

HP Numbers a bit low?

bdiddle

Greetings,

This is my first post on the forums, but I've been trolling for some time now. I have a 2007 GT500 and never really drive it, but got the urge to make it faster. That being said, I bought the JLT stage 2 kit from Evo Performance. Installed the pully, intake, and downloaded the program.

Long story short, I decided to go to a local Dyno shop to make sure the Air/Fuel ratio was working properly to ensure I don't grenade my motor like a buddy of mine did after installing the Kenne B system. Anyhow, in 3 runs the Air/Fuel ratios were fine, and I clocked in at 509.75 RWHP. I live right around sea level, the weather outside was rainy at 65 or so degrees. I'm in Northern California. Car has 300 miles on it.

My question is are these numbers low? Should I have it redone at a different shop? I've seen various others reporting different numbers, but wanted to ask here. What should I expect? And what are others pulling on the Dyno.

Any advise or number would be really appreciated.

Thank you,

Brian

Greetings,

This is my first post on the forums, but I've been trolling for some time now. I have a 2007 GT500 and never really drive it, but got the urge to make it faster. That being said, I bought the JLT stage 2 kit from Evo Performance. Installed the pully, intake, and downloaded the program.

Long story short, I decided to go to a local Dyno shop to make sure the Air/Fuel ratio was working properly to ensure I don't grenade my motor like a buddy of mine did after installing the Kenne B system. Anyhow, in 3 runs the Air/Fuel ratios were fine, and I clocked in at 509.75 RWHP. I live right around sea level, the weather outside was rainy at 65 or so degrees. I'm in Northern California. Car has 300 miles on it.

My question is are these numbers low? Should I have it redone at a different shop? I've seen various others reporting different numbers, but wanted to ask here. What should I expect? And what are others pulling on the Dyno.

Thank you,

Brian

That sounds about in-line with others with the same set up. What Brand Dyno?

That sounds a little low but you should have done a baseline first to see where stock was.

For example my stock baseline is around 450 rwhp .. avg to above avg on these cars. I have heard some cars making in the low 400 range as well.

Stage 1 should get you around 490-510 rwhp dependent on your stock numbers ... Stage II should be around 520-550

How hot was your motor when u first dynoed it ? Had it cooled down yet ? Your selection of dyno machine is a good choice. I too used the dyno jet system ... as has alot of us on the forum

Hope this helps

Greetings,

Thank you,

Brian

seems low. was traction control on? where in nor cal are you?

seems low. was traction control on? where in nor cal are you?

Thanks for the responses....Im not sure if the Trac Control was on, but Im sure I can ask and find out. Should it be? If so, why? Also, the motor was not completely cooled down yet, but I'm not sure how much that would have effected the overall. I probably should have done a baseline first, but meh, you live and learn right? I see the numbers around 540-550 a lot....just wondering how I only managed 510. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Brian

PS. I'm located just south of Sacramento.

Thanks for the responses....Im not sure if the Trac Control was on, but Im sure I can ask and find out. Should it be? If so, why? Also, the motor was not completely cooled down yet, but I'm not sure how much that would have effected the overall. I probably should have done a baseline first, but meh, you live and learn right? I see the numbers around 540-550 a lot....just wondering how I only managed 510. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Brian

PS. I'm located just south of Sacramento.

- You want trac control OFF - if it's on it can cause the brakes to be applied or engine to be retarded

- if too warm you won't get max HP - the computer will tell it to run rich and dump fuel to cool it down

- only way to verify your gain was to compare stock vs. the mods, otherwise the comparison is meaningless as you can get different #'s from the same car based on the dyno used.

Wow, your buddie grenaded a motor..GT500??? I have been watching the boards to see if there have been any engine failures with the 5.4. Unless I missed a thread I don't recall seeing any engine failures even due to a bad tune, K.B. or otherwise? Transmission/driveshaft yes.

Wow, your buddie grenaded a motor..GT500??? I have been watching the boards to see if there have been any engine failures with the 5.4. Unless I missed a thread I don't recall seeing any engine failures even due to a bad tune, K.B. or otherwise? Transmission/driveshaft yes.

Boost a pump failed (Well actually the vaccume fitting popped off and failed to make it turn on) ....lack of fuel = POOF.

Boost a pump failed (Well actually the vaccume fitting popped off and failed to make it turn on) ....lack of fuel = POOF.

when you say poof exactly what do you mean? did it burn a piston, or did it throw a rod out the side of the block?

details please!!!

i also do think you #'s are low but considering that you were on 91 octane and you said it was raining outside, so that means there was alot of moisture in the air. so with all those things considered, you actually did good.

when you say poof exactly what do you mean? did it burn a piston, or did it throw a rod out the side of the block?

details please!!!

i also do think you #'s are low but considering that you were on 91 octane and you said it was raining outside, so that means there was alot of moisture in the air. so with all those things considered, you actually did good.

Ok...I guess POOF is a bit overboard, but long story short 5,7, and 8 pistons were toast. (ie. outside broken) after looking at the others it seemed they weren't too far behind. So in essence he leaned it out and burnt it up. Overall it's not the end of the world, but it does suck to have a GT500 with 2000 miles and a broken motor.

The funny part is we would have never really known something was really wrong if it weren't for the piece of the piston hitting the top of the #8 plug and destroying it. That's when the problems started and we started the investigation.

Many things can play into low numbers.

Did you ever dyno it stock?

I have seen a few cars with very low stock numbers. A few have had a kinked intercooler line causing very low numbers.

Did they data log coolant temps?

Ideal temp to dyno is 180-190. Get into the 200's and power will drop fast.

Was it a "Mustang" brand dyno?

Great dynos, but can read lower then the standard.

What was the A/F?

Most cars with your mods are in the 525-540 range SAE RWHP. If the coolant temps were above 200 and/or it was on a low number dyno there's your 10-15 RWHP your low.

I also see you have a 2007 and only 300 miles. This is also a factor. Give it until 1000 miles and go back with good cool down. You'll be right on par :beerchug:

Jay

Archived