TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I'm hearing something strange in the distance.....

moabman

Actually, if I knew I'd be putting on the Vortech, I would have either stayed with the 3.55's or gone to 3.73's.

If I can get some sticky rears, perhaps I can make use of the 4.10's. But with the KDW's - if I launch it hard - we're up in smoke.

And - it doesn't just break them loose - it frys them real quick. I have a hard time reacting so it won't bounce off the rev limiter.

So do you think the 3.73's would make your setup dead perfect with your blower, Ruf?

- Josh

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So do you think the 3.73's would make your setup dead perfect with your blower, Ruf?

- Josh

Hi Josh - for the street? Probably. If I only drag raced the car, I'd stiffen up the chassis - and get some 15" Bogarts and slicks and keep the 4:10's.

I can easily start off now in 2nd gear without lugging the engine at all. And the BFG's just aren't soft enough.

But - it's a hoot giving friends a ride and watching their expressions when we leave from a stop in 1st! :hysterical2:

The most common response from them is "Oh, Shit!" :hysterical2:

Hi Josh - for the street? Probably. If I only drag raced the car, I'd stiffen up the chassis - and get some 15" Bogarts and slicks and keep the 4:10's.

I can easily start off now in 2nd gear without lugging the engine at all. And the BFG's just aren't soft enough.

But - it's a hoot giving friends a ride and watching their expressions when we leave from a stop in 1st! :hysterical2:

The most common response from them is "Oh, Shit!" :hysterical2:

Well, to quote Bill Cosby "first you say it, then you do it"! Oh man, I can't wait to have a setup like yours some day. :rockon:

- Josh

It's here :happy feet:

well 2 out of three packages anyway! Pics - check

I got the supercharger, CAI with 90mm MAF and inlet tube, pulley, 39 lb injectors, accessory belt, and 0 heat range spark plugs today.

The supercharger is heavy due to it's design - it's heavier than the .... Whipple......

It's here :happy feet:

well 2 out of three packages anyway! Pics - check

I got the supercharger, CAI with 90mm MAF and inlet tube, pulley, 39 lb injectors, accessory belt, and 0 heat range spark plugs today.

The supercharger is heavy due to it's design - it's heavier than the .... Whipple......

Moab,

So when will it be installed and dynoed? :happy feet:

- Josh

It's a Saleen in 425 RWHP flavor from JDM Engineering. Jim D'Amore does a very good job tuning these to run with the 5R555 transmission and I will be getting his tune with it. I love the Whipple but the Saleen has very similar (identical?) rotors and stators. The throttle body is in the stock position but it has a casting from the throttle body back around to the back of the charger so that's what makes it a little heavier than the Whipple.

10-1607-B11313a.jpg

10-1607-B11313b.jpg

10-1607-B11313c.jpg

Sa-weet!!

How much boost? Their web site says 4-5 lbs for 400 hp (at the flywheel?).

How much time do they say for the install? Do you have to tap the oil pan? Or re-locate the coolant resevoir? Bigger fuel pump in the tank?

:yahoo:

About 7-8 psi (new pulley) so I'll be close to 410 to 425 at the wheels. It's a typical twin screw with a novel setup of the inter-cooler on top. No oil pan tap. 39 lb injectors and no extra fuel pump (right at the fuel delivery limit of this one I think). 1 step colder plugs (0's ?). About 10 hours for the install.

Thanks Dan! Thanks also for your help with my questions. :happy feet:

I've been reading the instructions and I think I'm going to take my time and try to do the install myself over the Holidays.

Did you read about the new Boss 500 that Ford and Force have developed? They are doing something very interesting to relieve post CNC crystaline stress in the blocks.

Listen carefully... Weeeeeeeeeeee! ;-)

Yeah, that Boss 500 is interesting -- I'd been following it since Ford, medlin and Force started leaking tidbits over the summer and I read a media brief from Ford on the Tech in November, but nothing with any detail. Have you seen any details on the tech of that engine?

2008 season testing starts in Vegas, 2nd week of Jan, then Phoenix the week after and then back to Vegas (three sessions, all optional). I'm sure they'll be flogging it there (if they haven't already!) Should be interesting to see if affects rebuild cycle-times between rounds. I figure a more rigid assembly has to put less stress on other pieces too.

Hope they make a big comeback this year ...they had their share scary events last year.

Oh to be a fly on the wall in their joint development shop somewhere just south on Indianapolis ;-)

It's a Saleen in 425 RWHP flavor from JDM Engineering. Jim D'Amore does a very good job tuning these to run with the 5R555 transmission and I will be getting his tune with it. I love the Whipple but the Saleen has very similar (identical?) rotors and stators. The throttle body is in the stock position but it has a casting from the throttle body back around to the back of the charger so that's what makes it a little heavier than the Whipple.

10-1607-B11313a.jpg

10-1607-B11313b.jpg

10-1607-B11313c.jpg

I also like that the Saleen is kinda stealth... unless you're looking you don't notice the S/C down there ;-)

...Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! ;-)

10-1607-B11313a.jpg

10-1607-B11313b.jpg

10-1607-B11313c.jpg

Nice!!!! :happy feet: You will be very happy with the set up from JDM. This is exactly what I want to do to my GT in the spring although I'll have Evolution do the work for me.

The Team Ford magazine had a short article on the Boss 500. It is milled out of a solid billet of Aluminum but what was interesting is that they were subjecting it to sub harmonic frequency vibrations after CNC operations to change the properties. That's the first time I have heard of this technique but it may be common in the metal world. They also mentioned that Ford may take over branding at some point and mass market the engine in the drag world.

And I almost forgot - it will anodized blue (of course). :happy feet:

Thanks for the compliments Dan & Jim! I drove my brother-in-laws Whipple and was very, very impressed. In fact, I've had more than a few bouts of buyers remorse about the decision but they each had their strengths and weaknesses. The price was very nice and having JDMs tune that has been used on a 5R555 that has been raced over the last two years without any transmission trouble was also very important. He knows that transmission. :happy feet:

It is a "clean" look and a little stealthy.... :)

Thanks for the compliments Dan & Jim! I drove my brother-in-laws Whipple and was very, very impressed. In fact, I've had more than a few bouts of buyers remorse about the decision but they each had their strengths and weaknesses. The price was very nice and having JDMs tune that has been used on a 5R555 that has been raced over the last two years without any transmission trouble was also very important. He knows that transmission. :happy feet:

It is a "clean" look and a little stealthy.... :)

Moab,

D-day is December 27th? Wow! Merry Christmas to you, eh? I agree, the Saleen has such a clean and stealthy look. For me (some day) it will either be the FRPP Whipple (500 HP version) or the Shelby Paxton Centrifugal. Ruf's setup and results have had me thinking hard about this.

- Josh

The Team Ford magazine had a short article on the Boss 500. It is milled out of a solid billet of Aluminum but what was interesting is that they were subjecting it to sub harmonic frequency vibrations after CNC operations to change the properties. That's the first time I have heard of this technique but it may be common in the metal world. They also mentioned that Ford may take over branding at some point and mass market the engine in the drag world.

And I almost forgot - it will anodized blue (of course). :happy feet:

Ah, yes.. that's what I had read!! Thanks, Mark... They also plan to start selling them to other teams, I read somewhere maybe same article).

In FunnyCar the lighter block should help too since it will permit them place more weight in more advantageous locations. I think one of the reasons John hasn't run as well as Robert or Ashley is that they weigh less than him and get to tune the chassis 'ballast' location more effectively.

Now they have to make 500 Mustangs with that block in it <lol> so they can get it homologated for Pro-stock :hysterical:

Dan Davis has been doing one heck of a job at the helm of Ford Racing Technology, imo. Seemed like a heck of good guy too when I talked with him for 10-15 minutes or so at SEMA 2005. The blower-in-the-valley was originally Dan's pet project. I suspect it was being considered for the GT500. So the Saleen is reminescent (just not mounted as low) -- cool design!

I'm smiling just thinking of it -- what a great way to cruise the Moab area!! ;-)

Ah, yes.. that's what I had read!! Thanks, Mark... They also plan to start selling them to other teams, I read somewhere maybe same article).

In FunnyCar the lighter block should help too since it will permit them place more weight in more advantageous locations. I think one of the reasons John hasn't run as well as Robert or Ashley is that they weigh less than him and get to tune the chassis 'ballast' location more effectively.

Now they have to make 500 Mustangs with that block in it <lol> so they can get it homologated for Pro-stock :hysterical:

Dan Davis has been doing one heck of a job at the helm of Ford Racing Technology, imo. Seemed like a heck of good guy too when I talked with him for 10-15 minutes or so at SEMA 2005. The blower-in-the-valley was originally Dan's pet project. I suspect it was being considered for the GT500. So the Saleen is reminescent (just not mounted as low) -- cool design!

I'm smiling just thinking of it -- what a great way to cruise the Moab area!! ;-)

They have a great car show there in the spring. Check it out:

Moab Car Show

Archived