TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I'm hearing something strange in the distance.....

moabman

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's riding in a little brown truck and the computer reports that it is 2 days away. :happy feet:

In the mean time, my brother-in-law visited us this weekend and drove his 2005 GT down from Dallas. I noticed a new S/C emblem under the GT side emblem (he hasn't learned the virtue of the "stealth" approach). I asked him to pop the hood and a polished Whipple winked back at me. I noticed immediately that it had the inter-cooler reservoir so it was the high boost version. He anticipated my next question and flipped me the keys. He cautioned me to "only get on it with the wheels straight".

This was going to be fun. :happy feet:

I noticed a higher more raspy note from the mufflers when I started it. I have the FRPP 5GT stingers and he said he had the same. He did have long tubes installed with a x pipe and I have short tubes and the H pipe still so perhaps that is the difference. I still like my exhaust better.

The car drove with a slight bit of throttle lag hesitation when not using boost and this may be a factor of the new tune to handle the supercharger. Once we got to a deserted road, I had to give it the stomp test. I was in second with about 2000 RPMs and steped on it. The acceleration was immediate and the backend rotated slowly clockwise about 5 degrees and then came back to track straight after I feathered at 4000. Oh baby! I tried a launch from idle at a stop and the BF Goodrichs went up in smoke so I feathered and chirped loudly at 1-2 and 2-3 I could feel the traction control come on dramatically in third and it felt like mush so I feathered even more and the PCM gave me back the car. We were doing 70 by then so I let up. On my 07 N/A, the TC is subtle - it is much more noticeable and effective on the S/C version. It is also probably a good idea to leave it on under normal driving conditions.

The Whipple is quiet with most of the additional noise coming out of the mufflers. Although I didn't give it a thorough workout, I think the Whipple is exactly as advertised: a quiet supercharger that builds boost immediately. It has already trashed his stock bushings on his lca's and I forgot to tell him. Better give him a call with the Bad/Good news.....

Needless to say, I can't wait. I have already downloaded the instructions :happy feet:

No - but I might get a pod with that and a shift light. Things happen very quickly in 1st and 2nd!

No pics of your brother-in-laws car??

I didn't take any because it was a very hectic night but I'll call him and see if I can get some to post. BTW he also has the Baer GT plus brakes on the front. :happy feet:

You guys and your autos!

Truth be told, next Mustang I buy is gonna be an auto.

Twenty years of shifting 16 speed Spicers in Big Trucks has just about worn me out!

I haven't done any research on pods. But if I put one in, it will be an A-pillar. I want to keep the dash as-is.

What ever happened to hood gauges? That's where they really belong. Remember the GTO's? :hysterical2:

BTW - good luck sleeping the next two nights :hysterical2:

How much boost will you run?

How about dyno #'s on your BIL's car?

Yes, and in your case, it's like driving around in a stealth fighter - pay no attention to that GT over there, if it really is a GT...... famous last words :happy feet:

There are many fast cars and there are many cars with style but there aren't many fast, stylish cars. However, the Rufstang obviously falls into that group of cars that look great and can back it up with real speed. :superhero:

Thanks!

I've never - ever - had more fun putting a car together than I have with this one.

Matter of fact, the only other car I even modified (since I was a teen) was the Nissan 350Z. And that was just gears, springs, and an intake.

I'd love to have the money to do another.

And I can't tell you how much fun it is to spank guys who think they're picking on an underpowered Mustang :hysterical2: Priceless.

In my small town, word travels fast. So most car guys know what I've got and don't nibble. I have to go to Greenville to snag some bottom feeders :hysterical2:

You're gonna love the Whipple. We don't need 1,000 hp to get the blood moving.

My Vortech whistles ever so slightly at a stop light. It's like a Lion waiting to roar! :hysterical2:

Rock & Roll :rockon:

With my 4:10's - first gear is insane!

Actually, if I knew I'd be putting on the Vortech, I would have either stayed with the 3.55's or gone to 3.73's.

If I can get some sticky rears, perhaps I can make use of the 4.10's. But with the KDW's - if I launch it hard - we're up in smoke.

And - it doesn't just break them loose - it frys them real quick. I have a hard time reacting so it won't bounce off the rev limiter.

Yes, and in your case, it's like driving around in a stealth fighter - pay no attention to that GT over there, if it really is a GT...... famous last words :happy feet:

There are many fast cars and there are many cars with style but there aren't many fast, stylish cars. However, the Rufstang obviously falls into that group of cars that look great and can back it up with real speed. :superhero:

You got me thinking. I've had 3 or 4 stock looking Mustang GT's rev on me at lights. Remember - I'm not picking on them.

So - top of 2nd gear - game over.

I'll slow and lower my window to wave to them in a friendly way. They have all driven past staring straight ahead! :hysterical2:

I'll bet they didn't get online and tell their buds about that "kill!" :happy feet:

You got me thinking. I've had 3 or 4 stock looking Mustang GT's rev on me at lights. Remember - I'm not picking on them.

So - top of 2nd gear - game over.

I'll slow and lower my window to wave to them in a friendly way. They have all driven past staring straight ahead! :hysterical2:

I'll bet they didn't get online and tell their buds about that "kill!" :happy feet:

That's perfectly understandable but the magnetic emblem may be a step too far :hysterical2:

Thanks Dan! Thanks also for your help with my questions. :happy feet:

I've been reading the instructions and I think I'm going to take my time and try to do the install myself over the Holidays.

Did you read about the new Boss 500 that Ford and Force have developed? They are doing something very interesting to relieve post CNC crystaline stress in the blocks.

Archived