TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Motor Trend July 2006 GT500 - great news (finally!)

My point is some of you Ford guys have blinders on, just like you did not mention the heavy as a tank iron block vs the aluminum on that weighs much less from Chevy. GTO is only more expensive because of the situation with the American dollar vs the Australian dollar. If you want to be spanked by someone, line up against my bike, your mustang will go back to the garage wincing with its head down. I am just going by what people are saying on the internet and in magazines about the normal C-6 (not Z-06) vette being better than the Shelby. If that is incorrect, I would love to know about it, but it seems like the Shelby is not doing so good incomparisons.

The Corvette is a two seat car. The Mustang is a 4 seater. One is a sports car, the other is a muscle/cruising down the highway car. It's apples and oranges.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man these magazine threads get messy.

Here's my .02

I don't put any faith in this info simply because that's all it is....info.

Once at the track all bets are off. Whether it's a straight line or roundy round one mistake and the race is over. So we could sit here bench racing until were using depends but the bottom line is real racing has absolutely no relation to magazine tests. If that were in fact the case there wouldn't be almost a second difference from three different magazines.

I personally don't bench race.

Having said all that the C6 is a beautiful car and the Z06 is out of control. Only thing that shocked me was that GM still used hypertec.(sp) pistons and rods on a 427ci all aluminum superengineered motor. What would a forged set have cost. There is a yellow Z06 in my neighborhood. 105,000.00 cdn out the door. That, my friends is twice the 51,900.00 that the Shelby costs. For that much money, it better be faster.

My biggest beef with the Vettes/Vipers and such is only two seats. No good for me.

So I'll stick with my Shelby, mod it, race it and hopefully find a Z06 driver that read the C&D articles and is left looking at my tailights. ;)

Do you know what a C-6 is? Do you know what a Z-06 is? The Z is the one running with the ferrari's. The C-6 is the one that is like $44,000 before my GM Family member discount. If you can buy 2 Shelby's for $44,000, I wish I was shopping where you were. You can almost get the Z-06 model vette for what some dealers will be charging, for your information. I know all the letters are confusing to some of you gearheads, :doh: but just try to understand what they mean.

By the way, if you don't believe me, go to the corvette website. The C-6 coupe starts out at $44,000. The ferrari/lambo chaser starts at $65,000. Nearly 1000lbs lighter than the Shelby, all aluminum blocks in both engines, how come financially strapped GM can build a better engine for their vette's without a supercharger that is pumping out some serious horsepower? Also, I think this vette is much, much improved over the earlier C-4/C-5 vettes. I might get one, they are wicked fast all over the track, not just in a straight line.

I know my car's for one!second here in CANADA the SHELBY I orederd is mrsp $51,950CDN the C-6 is mrsp$87,000CDN. third the super charger is good because changeing the pulley or snout can give u more HP.fourth the I gues you haven't checked out LAP OF AMERICA where theSHELBY GT500 beat the c-6 and z06 and viper's and porche's on the track!.fifth and final because I got an early morning lates't best time's for the SHELBY GT500 0-60 MPH 4.3 1/4 MILE 12.25 No hard feeling's but if I were in your shose I would think about it also.BEST OF LUCK :party: :bandance:

Which part of my post don't you understand?

You're still TALKING!

Sweet Baby Jesus. :happy feet:

What's the ET on your mouth? :fan:

That is the best you can come up with? I was hoping for something that would make me change my mind about that pig car.

Man these magazine threads get messy.

Here's my .02

I don't put any faith in this info simply because that's all it is....info.

Once at the track all bets are off. Whether it's a straight line or roundy round one mistake and the race is over. So we could sit here bench racing until were using depends but the bottom line is real racing has absolutely no relation to magazine tests. If that were in fact the case there wouldn't be almost a second difference from three different magazines.

I personally don't bench race.

Having said all that the C6 is a beautiful car and the Z06 is out of control. Only thing that shocked me was that GM still used hypertec.(sp) pistons and rods on a 427ci all aluminum superengineered motor. What would a forged set have cost. There is a yellow Z06 in my neighborhood. 105,000.00 cdn out the door. That, my friends is twice the 51,900.00 that the Shelby costs. For that much money, it better be faster.

My biggest beef with the Vettes/Vipers and such is only two seats. No good for me.

So I'll stick with my Shelby, mod it, race it and hopefully find a Z06 driver that read the C&D articles and is left looking at my tailights. ;)

I don't know how much 105,000 pesos canadian is in US dollars, but sounds like your friend got ripped off. The Z-06 here starts at $65,000 approximatly, which is what some dealers will be getting for the Shelby after someone bends over and gets a bloody a hole from being raped. The two seat thing doesn't bother me, it has more room for someone than my bike! Later

My point is some of you Ford guys have blinders on, just like you did not mention the heavy as a tank iron block vs the aluminum on that weighs much less from Chevy. GTO is only more expensive because of the situation with the American dollar vs the Australian dollar. If you want to be spanked by someone, line up against my bike, your mustang will go back to the garage wincing with its head down. I am just going by what people are saying on the internet and in magazines about the normal C-6 (not Z-06) vette being better than the Shelby. If that is incorrect, I would love to know about it, but it seems like the Shelby is not doing so good incomparisons.

You just proved my whole point which you totally missed. :doh: My bike :hysterical2::hysterical2:

My friend you are the one with blinders. The GTO / Mustang GT pricing reference is in America.

I hate to tell you this maybe you dont know.....most motorcycles will beat just about any car in the 1/4 mile....its that whole weight / power ration thing which you probably dont understand.

Iam stopping there because I know for a fact the mentality Iam dealing with and I dont feel like pretending iam a freshman in Jr. high.

I know my car's for one!second here in CANADA the SHELBY I orederd is mrsp $51,950CDN the C-6 is mrsp$87,000CDN. third the super charger is good because changeing the pulley or snout can give u more HP.fourth the I gues you haven't checked out LAP OF AMERICA where theSHELBY GT500 beat the c-6 and z06 and viper's and porche's on the track!.fifth and final because I got an early morning lates't best time's for the SHELBY GT500 0-60 MPH 4.3 1/4 MILE 12.25 No hard feeling's but if I were in your shose I would think about it also.BEST OF LUCK :party: :bandance:

Learn how to type/spell please, I cannot understand your post. Were you trying to tell me something?

You just proved my whole point which you totally missed. :doh: My bike :hysterical2::hysterical2:

My friend you are the one with blinders. The GTO / Mustang GT pricing reference is in America.

I hate to tell you this maybe you dont know.....most motorcycles will beat just about any car in the 1/4 mile....its that whole weight / power ration thing which you probably dont understand.

Iam stopping there because I know for a fact the mentality Iam dealing with and I dont feel like pretending iam a freshman in Jr. high.

I am not the one who started talking about 1/4 mile times. I will finish the 1/4 mile talk though by metioning my bike which runs in the high nines at 140MPH, yes MPH, not Kilos, or pesos, or whatever they use up in Canada. My main point is that the vette seems to be a better deal for the dollars, I said dollars because sounds like you canadiens are getting ripped off on the vettes up there, check the website man, you are getting a bad conversion.

Learn how to type/spell please, I cannot understand your post. Were you trying to tell me something?

I am not the one who started talking about 1/4 mile times. I will finish the 1/4 mile talk though by metioning my bike which runs in the high nines at 140MPH, yes MPH, not Kilos, or pesos, or whatever they use up in Canada. My main point is that the vette seems to be a better deal for the dollars, I said dollars because sounds like you canadiens are getting ripped off on the vettes up there, check the website man, you are getting a bad conversion.

I don't know how much 105,000 pesos canadian is in US dollars, but sounds like your friend got ripped off. The Z-06 here starts at $65,000 approximatly, which is what some dealers will be getting for the Shelby after someone bends over and gets a bloody a hole from being raped.

Pesos???

This is Canada, not Texas

65,000 us x 25% exchange. Even though it's only 11

=81,000.00 x 15% tax= 93,000.00 + options and dealer crap and voila 100+

Pesos???

This is Canada, not Texas

65,000 us x 25% exchange. Even though it's only 11

=81,000.00 x 15% tax= 93,000.00 + options and dealer crap and voila 100+

Canada is just a colder version of Mexico. You guys are getting ripped off on the vettes, I would never buy one there.

This is a edited re-posting from another thread earler this evening...

The weight issue. Let's discuss. This visceral discussion started as a result of three magazine articles, right? Okay, so historically, the Camaro used to be the car that was always compared against the Mustang, so the Vette is really not really a fair comparison for the 500. Because if the objective of the articles was to test similar classed vehicles defined by price and purpose, the Dodge Daytona SRT8 would meet that catagory closer than the Corvette does. The SRT8 has a back seat as the Shelby does, and the Vette doesn't. Although the SRT8 has four doors, and heaver (4,160), it's still closer in weight to the Shelby than the Vette is. The horsepower difference between the SRT8 and the Shelby is 75 HP, the Vette is 100. I suppose that we have to look at what the Editor's objective was when he tasked the article to the writer. Because if the objective was to report the differences between specific performance data of two similar classed cars, then I believe that they failed to meet that objective in all of the articles. In my opinion, if a magazine publishes an article about performance data, and the compared vehicles are not apples vs. apples (or at least really GD close), then it should be prominently indicated as such. 100 horsepower is not enough to overcome 950 added pounds against a stopwatch, and that weight figure is only if the test driver weighed 150 Lbs or so. The historical rivalry between the Camaro and the Mustang exsists because the Camaro was orginally designed, developed and brought out in 67' to compete with the then two-year-old, white hot selling Mustang! The Mustang was not developed or brought out to go after Corvette sales. The Editors of all three articles chose the Corvette because it is the only vehicle in Chevrolet's performance stable at the moment, and because the Camaro does not exsist anymore. They compared a GM product over a Dodge product because they wanted to continue to perpetuate the grand debate of Chevy vs. Ford because it sells magazines. Hell, the GTO would even be closer comparison to the Shelby than the Vette is.

Canada is just a colder version of Mexico. You guys are getting ripped off on the vettes, I would never buy one there.

Neither would I.

You know what dude, you're getting ripped by everyone here and I am trying to be cordial and informed with you when I post but man, you kind of lost me when you start country bashing.

I live in Indianapolis Indiana USA

Are you a pacers fan :cheerleader: If so, sorry, they are the piston's whipping boys the last few years, now reggie miller is gone, oh well, you always have the Colts.

Neither would I.

You know what dude, you're getting ripped by everyone here and I am trying to be cordial and informed with you when I post but man, you kind of lost me when you start country bashing.

Take a joke, you Candiens are so sensitive. AAY, did I spell that right Canada? I am getting ripped because I have a point. People are sensitive about their POS Shelby. I wish they would have done a new Cobra. That old bastard's name on the car just jacked the price up. What a shame.

This is a edited re-posting from another thread earler this evening...

The weight issue. Let's discuss. This visceral discussion started as a result of three magazine articles, right? Okay, so historically, the Camaro used to be the car that was always compared against the Mustang, so the Vette is really not really a fair comparison for the 500. Because if the objective of the articles was to test similar classed vehicles defined by price and purpose, the Dodge Daytona SRT8 would meet that catagory closer than the Corvette does. The SRT8 has a back seat as the Shelby does, and the Vette doesn't. Although the SRT8 has four doors, and heaver (4,160), it's still closer in weight to the Shelby than the Vette is. The horsepower difference between the SRT8 and the Shelby is 75 HP, the Vette is 100. I suppose that we have to look at what the Editor's objective was when he tasked the article to the writer. Because if the objective was to report the differences between specific performance data of two similar classed cars, then I believe that they failed to meet that objective in all of the articles. In my opinion, if a magazine publishes an article about performance data, and the compared vehicles are not apples vs. apples (or at least really GD close), then it should be prominently indicated as such. 100 horsepower is not enough to overcome 950 added pounds against a stopwatch, and that weight figure is only if the test driver weighed 150 Lbs or so. The historical rivalry between the Camaro and the Mustang exsists because the Camaro was orginally designed, developed and brought out in 67' to compete with the then two-year-old, white hot selling Mustang! The Mustang was not developed or brought out to go after Corvette sales. The Editors of all three articles chose the Corvette because it is the only vehicle in Chevrolet's performance stable at the moment, and because the Camaro does not exsist anymore. They compared a GM product over a Dodge product because they wanted to continue to perpetuate the grand debate of Chevy vs. Ford because it sells magazines. Hell, the GTO would even be closer comparison to the Shelby than the Vette is.

Thanks for the long as hell post, I don't have the energy to read it, but I am sure you made some kind of good point somewhere in there right, I will take your word for it.

Take a joke, you Candiens are so sensitive. AAY, did I spell that right Canada? I am getting ripped because I have a point.

Quite frankly I don't care why you're getting ripped..

But, you're right, I can take a joke. Every time I go to Michigan....

And no, you didn't spell it right America,

it's EH?

I think this is one of your quotes:

Before I paid $20,000 over the sticker for a shelby, I would just go for the Z-06 though, it is a better value. Just my 2 cents, I cannot afford either one at that price, but I could just swing the C-6. Later

You are getting ripped not because you have a point. Your getting rip because you are totally missing the point and you clueless to the whole discussion. That my friend is annoying!!! Sorry about the spelling am 40yrs old and I have been away from school for 20 years now. You on the other hand still a freshman in JR. High, or is it high school , or maybe college even?

Quite frankly I don't care why you're getting ripped..

But, you're right, I can take a joke. Every time I go to Michigan....

And no, you didn't spell it right America,

it's EH?

One thing I love about Canada,

Don't think so. You should've known that one wasn't going to pass. We don't need derogatory comments being made about any specific nationality or women here.

yamahar, you're nothing but a troll. You were posting under another name.... evil something, I can't remember. Get a life.

To make a simple point here.....1/4 miles not withstanding....a Corvette guy would never consider a Mustang (Shelby or GT) and a Mustang guy would never consider a Corvette. They are both great cars, but two different buyers and positions in the market.

:rant: Hey dummy, you really are a d*ck. Canadian msrp on the z06 is $97,000 plus 15% tax and they won't sell you one, you can't export it over.

What did I say bad about women? I like when I have a hot asian washing my motorcycle? What is so derogatory about that. :censored: This is like being in the USSR, you guys are pathetic. By the way, I have never posted under any other name. I do most of my posting on the Blue Oval Site, but this is getting fun riling up all you losers, I might keep posing here! I love asian women! What is so negative about that, I think I would win that court battle, freedom of speech guys, I did not say anything X rated, stop changing my posts losers. By the way, Canada is still a third world country. I am a troll, as the yupers call us, anyone below the bridge is called a troll, I don't care, least I don't live in a third world country. Later

What did I say bad about women? I like when I have a hot asian washing my motorcycle? What is so derogatory about that. :censored: This is like being in the USSR, you guys are pathetic. By the way, I have never posted under any other name. I do most of my posting on the Blue Oval Site, but this is getting fun riling up all you losers, I might keep posing here! I love asian women! What is so negative about that, I think I would win that court battle, freedom of speech guys, I did not say anything X rated, stop changing my posts losers. By the way, Canada is still a third world country. I am a troll, as the yupers call us, anyone below the bridge is called a troll, I don't care, least I don't live in a third world country. Later

:baby:

:baby:

Baby for what? Complaining about those fascist pigs erasing a post that had no swearing or X-rated words in it? You are the one from Canada right, you must know how to take a joke now, you did not complain about my Canada comment. I don't really hate Canada, just hate always transfering my money back and forth from dollars to pesos when I have to work there :happy feet: . Later

Ok Dude, here's my final post dealing with your attitude.

Yes, I am Canadian. Yes, I edited your post and will continue to do so when you're bashing others. You have managed to take this thread about Motor Trend and turn it into nothing but personal attacks. As a result I will leave your previous post up in which you make derogatory comments about Canada being a third world Country, colder version of Mexico, and it's DOLLARS(again), you call people losers, fascist pigs (that one was meant for me :) ) pathetic for the administrator to see and decide if these posts and name calling warrant a suspension and or banning.

Let's reverse the rolls here. Let's say us Canadians or Europeans were bashing your USofA, there would be an uproar on these boards. Keep it car related without the personal attacks otherwise it gets bumped.

Later

Ohhh, So scared, ban me. Who cares. If I was so interested in getting you back I would just start a new screen name. Why bother playing all the games. And by the way, we get bashed all the time by everyone as Americans. Comes with the territory when you are a world power. Canada would not know anything about that. If you guys were not leeching off of us, you would be just like Mexico. Name one exported Canadien company besides Tim Hortons? You have your own automobile company? Don't think so. This forum was started in the United States. We have freedom of speech. I have seen others post porno material and swear left and right and not get edited or banned, so bend over and take it. I did not say anything that does not fall into the freedom of speech category. I am free to have my opinion, and you are free to not like it. That is why this (USA) is a great country. We are not so fond of all the gay stuff like you guys in Canada either, another reason why I am glad I don't live in Canada. Every state that had that gay issue on the ballot voted it down. Later

--------------------

Back on topic. Let's leave our friends up north, and predilections about women, out of this. We all have preferences & opinions.

This is great news, and I suspect that with a pair of slicks, this thing will rocket through the quarter. 18+ mpg is great for such a powerful car. My '69 500 got high 12 mpg, downhill, with a draft! :hysterical: Can't wait to see these on the street!!!!! :lurk:

Back on topic. Let's leave our friends up north, and predilections about women, out of this. We all have preferences & opinions.

This is great news, and I suspect that with a pair of slicks, this thing will rocket through the quarter. 18+ mpg is great for such a powerful car. My '69 500 got high 12 mpg, downhill, with a draft! :hysterical: Can't wait to see these on the street!!!!! :lurk:

I agree, I love the look of the car, just not the price (read: raping gouger dealer price). It is well worth $40,000, but not worth the price the dealers are trying to get. They are ruining all the fun. I think if they were going to get $50-60,000 for the car, it should be about 800lbs lighter, and a little better on the interior. I would still love to get one, but if I can get a C-6 vette for $44,000, take off my family discount, and not get raped by the dealer, that sounds like a better deal for me. I like the look of shelby and the vette, I am partial to the Mustang because it was born on my birthday, just 11 years before me. Anyone find a dealer not raping, by that I mean MSRP price at least, not a penny above.

I agree, I love the look of the car, just not the price (read: raping gouger dealer price). It is well worth $40,000, but not worth the price the dealers are trying to get. They are ruining all the fun. I think if they were going to get $50-60,000 for the car, it should be about 800lbs lighter, and a little better on the interior. I would still love to get one, but if I can get a C-6 vette for $44,000, take off my family discount, and not get raped by the dealer, that sounds like a better deal for me. I like the look of shelby and the vette, I am partial to the Mustang because it was born on my birthday, just 11 years before me. Anyone find a dealer not raping, by that I mean MSRP price at least, not a penny above.

Yes, Ordered mine at Don Reid Ford in Maitland Florida. $1,000 over invoice. Which should be about $3,000 under sticker.

Archived