TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 in Hibernation

Joemat

Its official. Now that the roads have been salted, the Shelby is in for a long winters sleep. Today I hooked up the Battery Tender (see pic), added some fuel stabilizer and put the flannel cover on. Dreaming of the install date for the Whipple 2.9!! :happy feet:

post-9645-1197228621_thumb.jpg

post-9645-1197228641_thumb.jpg

post-9645-1197228666_thumb.jpg

post-9645-1197228687_thumb.jpg

post-9645-1197228709_thumb.jpg

post-9645-1197228621_thumb.jpg

post-9645-1197228641_thumb.jpg

post-9645-1197228666_thumb.jpg

post-9645-1197228687_thumb.jpg

post-9645-1197228709_thumb.jpg

You got 5 extra weeks than I did (see my post) but I think I seen a little dirt near the cobra emblem, might want to uncover it and give it a good wash and wax! :hysterical:

Thanks. Its not dirt, but rather the flash reflection. I recently had the car detailed with my second application of Zymol Vintage. For wax (no polish) I have taken my GT500 to a high-end detail shop that does a lot of Ferarri's, Bentley's, etc. The Vintage costs $1,900 a jar (check out their website) and must be applied with bare hands to warm the wax. It is 61% Brazilian No.1 White Carnuba Wax. I pay $300 for an external detail and application of Vintage. I have used a lot of waxes through the years and I have never seen anything shine or bead like this stuff (pin-heads).

Thanks. Its not dirt, but rather the flash reflection. I recently had the car detailed with my second application of Zymol Vintage. For wax (no polish) I have taken my GT500 to a high-end detail shop that does a lot of Ferarri's, Bentley's, etc. The Vintage costs $1,900 a jar (check out their website) and must be applied with bare hands to warm the wax. It is 61% Brazilian No.1 White Carnuba Wax. I pay $300 for an external detail and application of Vintage. I have used a lot of waxes through the years and I have never seen anything shine or bead like this stuff (pin-heads).

$1900 a bottle - that's insane! You must really love your car Joe - I am sure it looks awesome.

I'll have to tell my wife about this so she stops complaining about having to double rinse cycle my USA made cotton towels that I use to hand wash mine.

I was going to do the same because up here in Boston, winters are pretty dam bad

But I just could not do it, I love driving this thing and took it out yesterday through all the salt and sand that was put down on the road from the snow we have gotten recently.

I know I know, my car is going to suddenly rust away into nothing, but I had to do it.

PS- I don't drive in the rain, but will drive through salt and sand, that is sorta funny ahahah

I really do not think I could live if I had to go for 3 plus months of never driving it :(

$1900 a bottle - that's insane! You must really love your car Joe - I am sure it looks awesome.

I'll have to tell my wife about this so she stops complaining about having to double rinse cycle my USA made cotton towels that I use to hand wash mine.

No....I didn't buy the wax, the detail shop did. I paid $300 for a wash and application of the wax (thats probably crazy enough!!). I do this once in the Spring and again in the Fall.

No....I didn't buy the wax, the detail shop did. I paid $300 for a wash and application of the wax (thats probably crazy enough!!). I do this once in the Spring and again in the Fall.

Joemat:

Do you have any outdoor photos of your car with this wax applied?

HSURB

Got a few questions. Hope you can help:

How much does the battery tender cost? Do you have to take the battery out of the car? What kind of fuel stablizer to you recommend? Do the tires get messed up from being in the one position all winter? Are there any other things that should be done if you put it away for 3 months?

BTW nice car

Dave

Got a few questions. Hope you can help:

How much does the battery tender cost? Do you have to take the battery out of the car? What kind of fuel stablizer to you recommend? Do the tires get messed up from being in the one position all winter? Are there any other things that should be done if you put it away for 3 months?

BTW nice car

Dave

The Battery Tender pictured is available through Jegs for $49. They also make a smaller unit called the Battery Tender Jr. for about $29. I leave the battery in the car and attached the Quick Disconnect cord directly to the battery (its a very short cord that can be tucked away when not in use). For the fuel stabilizer I use Star-Tron but you can also use Sta-Bil. Periodically I will start the car and back it out of the garage to get the fluids moving and to move the tires.

The Battery Tender pictured is available through Jegs for $49. They also make a smaller unit called the Battery Tender Jr. for about $29. I leave the battery in the car and attached the Quick Disconnect cord directly to the battery (its a very short cord that can be tucked away when not in use). For the fuel stabilizer I use Star-Tron but you can also use Sta-Bil. Periodically I will start the car and back it out of the garage to get the fluids moving and to move the tires.

They say you should also run the A/C to get everything moving.

How often do you move it in and out of the garage?

Thanks for the advice.

$600 for a twice a year wax and wash? No disrespect, but surely there are a ton of products you can use that are just as good and much cheaper. Todays paint jobs are so well sealed I do not know if you are getting your $$$ worth? I used ICE products, as do many members here, with great success. Other use Zaino and several other more costly products and swear by them. I guess if you are doing it because you do not like to do it yourself, then it might make sense, but you can surely get a comparable shine and protection for boat loads less! Just MHO.

Still driving it here in Pa. Luckily we only got a few inches of the white stuff last week. Roads are clear again with no salt since it turned back to rain !!! Plus it's still in the mid 30's to mid 40's during the day this week !!! Gotta love a mild winter !!

$600 for a twice a year wax and wash? No disrespect, but surely there are a ton of products you can use that are just as good and much cheaper. Todays paint jobs are so well sealed I do not know if you are getting your $$$ worth? I used ICE products, as do many members here, with great success. Other use Zaino and several other more costly products and swear by them. I guess if you are doing it because you do not like to do it yourself, then it might make sense, but you can surely get a comparable shine and protection for boat loads less! Just MHO.

The difference with this wax is all about the content. Given its high concentration of pure white Carnuba, my GT500 only needs two waxings per year. With Black paint, that equals less potential for the development of swirl marks. Most over the counter or mail order waxes may say they have Carnuba, but it is either yellow or a very low concentration (which equals more applications needed). I wash the car myself (at least two or three times per month) and the beading does not fade. This stuff beads like no other wax I have seen (pin-heads --and I really mean pin-heads). For guys investing thousands, if not tens of thousands, in mod's on a car, a few hundred bucks on the professional application of the best car wax seems OK with me. Nothing but the best for my baby!! :hysterical: OK, maybe I am crazy!!

Its official. Now that the roads have been salted, the Shelby is in for a long winters sleep. Today I hooked up the Battery Tender (see pic), added some fuel stabilizer and put the flannel cover on. Dreaming of the install date for the Whipple 2.9!! :happy feet:

Nice car,

Our roads here in Ohio are also salted...

What type of floor paint did you use?

I have my car in my garage waiting for my pole barn to be completed.

Also, how about your tires for storage, are they over inflated for the winter?

Please advise.

GT500 Vista Blue w/Tungsten Strips, All stock still

I'm right there with ya. :cry:

bt8.jpg

Nice car,

Our roads here in Ohio are also salted...

What type of floor paint did you use?

I have my car in my garage waiting for my pole barn to be completed.

Also, how about your tires for storage, are they over inflated for the winter?

Please advise.

GT500 Vista Blue w/Tungsten Strips, All stock still

Two applications of Rustoleum Garage Floor Epoxy. Regarding the tires, I just try to back the car out every couple of weeks to rotate them. I put a chalk mark on them so I know they are resting in a different place each time. I check the pressure to maintain normal levels.

Regards,

Joe

Archived