TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New SGT Owner seeking info

Hello all,

I am a long time Mustang fan and grew up in a family of Mustangs. My dad restored old (60s) mustangs and sold them as a hobby. My mother drove one as an everyday car and when my brother and I were old enough to drive we drove them too. Unfortunately for my brother and I neither of us ended up with one of my dad's cars. I have wanted a Shelby since the new Shelby GT 500s came out but could not afford one. I was thrilled when the S-GTs were announced and even more psyched when the Military Exchange program got some to sell. I promptly went and bought one for myself. I think I got a pretty good deal at 38k, but don't really know based on reading the forums and doing some internet research. Looks like most are going for about that anyways.

I ordered a 2008 SGT Vista Blue coupe yesterday and am ecstatic. I take delivery in the summer upon return from OIF. Plenty of time for upgrades and mods to be done. Any ideas for me? any other advice from current SGT owners?

Hello all,

I am a long time Mustang fan and grew up in a family of Mustangs. My dad restored old (60s) mustangs and sold them as a hobby. My mother drove one as an everyday car and when my brother and I were old enough to drive we drove them too. Unfortunately for my brother and I neither of us ended up with one of my dad's cars. I have wanted a Shelby since the new Shelby GT 500s came out but could not afford one. I was thrilled when the S-GTs were announced and even more psyched when the Military Exchange program got some to sell. I promptly went and bought one for myself. I think I got a pretty good deal at 38k, but don't really know based on reading the forums and doing some internet research. Looks like most are going for about that anyways.

I ordered a 2008 SGT Vista Blue coupe yesterday and am ecstatic. I take delivery in the summer upon return from OIF. Plenty of time for upgrades and mods to be done. Any ideas for me? any other advice from current SGT owners?

Welcome Stryker.

There are lots of posts here and on the Shelby Autos (SAI) forum (and The Mustang Source and others) about options, who has what and prices. Look at one of the pinned topics at SAI for John Walker Director of Sales (his contact info is there too as well as mod shop manager Bud Mahoney). I posted his prices there in the 2nd or 3rd page back around March but that was for the 2007 models and before Shelby Performance Parts so they likely changed (at least you have an idea).

Most of us recommend that you just sit back, read lots of posts, join in the conversations and look at some of our mods on our cars. Many of us have locations in Photobucket, Picasa, Shutterfly and so forth with pics of our cars (listed mine below). You can find them in our signatures in the bottom of our posts. I think I posted a topic in this forum about a month ago to have people post locations of their pictures.

Go over to shelbyperformanceparts.com (SPP) to see all the available options and see pics too.

Recommendations:

1) If you go with a supercharger, I (and John W) highly recommend a brake upgrade.

2) If you get a brake upgrade, you need bigger wheels. SPP can help with details

3) Be prepared to change your mind many times and consider a theme

4) Look through all the magazines for ideas or dislikes

5) Consider whether you want all options done at SAI or whether you'll do some yourself (ie, registry)

6) Finally, my last recommendation is to be patient and find something to keep yourself busy as the agony of the wait will kill you. Take a trip out to SAI if you can to get an appreciation of how busy they are. Frequent visits to these forums will help with what we call PSDS for Pre Shelby Delivery Syndrome.

Picasa - http://picasaweb.google.com/Adams.ShelbyGT

Photobucket - http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd174/aodwyer/

Good luck, keep us abreast of your final mod list and hope to see you at the various events.

Sky or your credit is the limit.

Cosmetic:

The lower grill and driving lights are a common subtle modification. Wheels are also common. American Racing and Carroll Shelby Wheels make several variations. Som like to add the GT500 or Mustang GT spoiler. Some have changed out the hood with the CS (GT-H) hood. The basics like tint and trim pieces also.

Performance:

Most bang for the buck is a supercharger that will give you 400-500 HP depending on model. However that brings you into the GT500 (without ADM range). If you don't supercharge, definately look into a computer flash, Brenspeed is highly regarded or find a local tuner to do it.

The week point in the performance is the brakes. Shelby Performance Parts (SPP) has two available upgrades and a third coming soon. However, they don't fit under the stock wheels. If you wish to keep the stock wheels, I would look into sloted replacement rotors, upgraded brake lines and pads. If you do want new wheels the new S1 18" wheel coming from Shelby in January will fit over the GT500 brakes and probably the Baer extreme kit (it is being checked on by SPP). Otherwise if you want new wheels like the common Razor it will require 20" wheels.

Suspension wise, I highly recommend atleast an adjustable pan hard rod. The stock one forces the body to offset over the axle because of the lowering. For some more upgrades look into replacement control arms and maybe even a watts link.

You can find almost all of this stuff at Shelby Performance Parts (link below) but don't restrict yourself to just Shelby pieces. Do you know your VIN and has your car gone through the Shelby factory yet. If not you can call have the car flagged and they can add just about any piece from the SPP catalog you wish. If you are interested call immediately.

If you are looking for performance on a budget I would go with these things. Brenspeed tune, adjustable pan hard rod, slotted rotors with upgrade brake lines and pads. Oh yeah maybe a 4.10 gear (normally aspirated).

Check out some of the other threads here and at shelbyautos.com. I have some links below for you.

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/

the catalog:

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?showforum=32

Thanks Much SGT/SC,

I appreciate all the great info. Time to get started!

Welcome Stryker.

There are lots of posts here and on the Shelby Autos (SAI) forum (and The Mustang Source and others) about options, who has what and prices. Look at one of the pinned topics at SAI for John Walker Director of Sales (his contact info is there too as well as mod shop manager Bud Mahoney). I posted his prices there in the 2nd or 3rd page back around March but that was for the 2007 models and before Shelby Performance Parts so they likely changed (at least you have an idea).

Most of us recommend that you just sit back, read lots of posts, join in the conversations and look at some of our mods on our cars. Many of us have locations in Photobucket, Picasa, Shutterfly and so forth with pics of our cars (listed mine below). You can find them in our signatures in the bottom of our posts. I think I posted a topic in this forum about a month ago to have people post locations of their pictures.

Go over to shelbyperformanceparts.com (SPP) to see all the available options and see pics too.

Recommendations:

1) If you go with a supercharger, I (and John W) highly recommend a brake upgrade.

2) If you get a brake upgrade, you need bigger wheels. SPP can help with details

3) Be prepared to change your mind many times and consider a theme

4) Look through all the magazines for ideas or dislikes

5) Consider whether you want all options done at SAI or whether you'll do some yourself (ie, registry)

6) Finally, my last recommendation is to be patient and find something to keep yourself busy as the agony of the wait will kill you. Take a trip out to SAI if you can to get an appreciation of how busy they are. Frequent visits to these forums will help with what we call PSDS for Pre Shelby Delivery Syndrome.

Picasa - http://picasaweb.google.com/Adams.ShelbyGT

Photobucket - http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd174/aodwyer/

Good luck, keep us abreast of your final mod list and hope to see you at the various events.

Awesome! Again - thanks for the great info.

Sky or your credit is the limit.

Cosmetic:

The lower grill and driving lights are a common subtle modification. Wheels are also common. American Racing and Carroll Shelby Wheels make several variations. Som like to add the GT500 or Mustang GT spoiler. Some have changed out the hood with the CS (GT-H) hood. The basics like tint and trim pieces also.

Performance:

Most bang for the buck is a supercharger that will give you 400-500 HP depending on model. However that brings you into the GT500 (without ADM range). If you don't supercharge, definately look into a computer flash, Brenspeed is highly regarded or find a local tuner to do it.

The week point in the performance is the brakes. Shelby Performance Parts (SPP) has two available upgrades and a third coming soon. However, they don't fit under the stock wheels. If you wish to keep the stock wheels, I would look into sloted replacement rotors, upgraded brake lines and pads. If you do want new wheels the new S1 18" wheel coming from Shelby in January will fit over the GT500 brakes and probably the Baer extreme kit (it is being checked on by SPP). Otherwise if you want new wheels like the common Razor it will require 20" wheels.

Suspension wise, I highly recommend atleast an adjustable pan hard rod. The stock one forces the body to offset over the axle because of the lowering. For some more upgrades look into replacement control arms and maybe even a watts link.

You can find almost all of this stuff at Shelby Performance Parts (link below) but don't restrict yourself to just Shelby pieces. Do you know your VIN and has your car gone through the Shelby factory yet. If not you can call have the car flagged and they can add just about any piece from the SPP catalog you wish. If you are interested call immediately.

If you are looking for performance on a budget I would go with these things. Brenspeed tune, adjustable pan hard rod, slotted rotors with upgrade brake lines and pads. Oh yeah maybe a 4.10 gear (normally aspirated).

Check out some of the other threads here and at shelbyautos.com. I have some links below for you.

the catalog:

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?showforum=32

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all,

07 SGT w/SAI mods

CSX6 hood, lower grille w/driving lights, GT spoiler, sequential taillights.

post-12036-1197931322_thumb.jpg

Look, let me make this simple for you. Pull your wallet out and do this: :spend: until you look like this: :confused: and then you do this: :cry: and your car will be exactly the way you want it. Oh, you may be broke by then, but at least your Shelby will be perfect!

Class dismissed. :hysterical2:

Look, let me make this simple for you. Pull your wallet out and do this: :spend: until you look like this: :confused: and then you do this: :cry: and your car will be exactly the way you want it. Oh, you may be broke by then, but at least your Shelby will be perfect!

Class over. :hysterical2:

No truer words were spoken! :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Archived