TEAM SHELBY FORUM

R&T has GT500 at 13.1/4.7

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ May 30 2006, 07:06 PM) 16308[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

We may very well have found the point at which too much power can overwhelm the Mustang chassis & tires. 0-60 mph and 1/4 miles show lots of evidence of too much power with too little traction, hence the relatively stout mph at the end of the 1/4 mile (111-115 mph) versus lousy 12.9-13.1 ET's.

However, a look at the 0-100 mph figures shows that the GT500 is making some serious horsepower. Just over 10 seconds to 100 mph is pretty damn impressive. My Mach 1 takes almost 12 seconds to get to 100 mph and a 2005-6 Mustang GT takes about 13.5 seconds to get to 100 mph.

The GT500 just needs a good set of slicks, proper drag shocks to better transfer weight upon launch, and a skilled driver and it will easily run 11.90's at 115 mph. I personally stake my reputation on that! Heck, even without the drag shocks, and just slicks, I'd bet a good driver could run 12.20's at 115 mph in the 1/4 mile!

Yep, wait till Paul Svinicki gets his hands on one. He ran a bone stock Mach 1 to a 13.29 and a modded Mach 1 at the same track to a 11.98. He will get a stock GT500 to low 12s and a modded one to low 11s, I predict.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Patrick,

Would that "Handling Package" they're talking about offering for the GT500

in the June HotRod mag help to increase traction???

Ther're talking about "Powerpacks", etc. too, but why add more power

when she's already having trouble getting power to the ground???

KingCobra.

The handling package MAY help traction. The upgraded suspension package on the Vette is worth a consistant .1 sec in the 1/4.

So would an adjustabe set of good shocks or coilovers. That way you can set them for whatever you want.

Hey Patrick,

Would that "Handling Package" they're talking about offering for the GT500

in the June HotRod mag help to increase traction???

Ther're talking about "Powerpacks", etc. too, but why add more power

when she's already having trouble getting power to the ground???

KingCobra.

The Shelby allready has the coilover shocks (front only). But I still think that it will benefit from Koni Sport or Tokico D Spec shocks. Tokico is coming out with a kit with 4 lowering springs and 4 shocks for Mustangs.

Just wait until they test the post production car... I can easily say a 1/4 time of 11.9 seconds, and the 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds. If its worst you can quote me and clal me an idiot... I give your my reputation on this one. Ford is not ganna have suge a build up for a huge flop common its commen sense. No matter what the results the car is fast enuff, not to mention theres no other 500 hp car that looks as good, or whines!

Just wait until they test the post production car... I can easily say a 1/4 time of 11.9 seconds, and the 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds. If its worst you can quote me and clal me an idiot... I give your my reputation on this one. Ford is not ganna have suge a build up for a huge flop common its commen sense. No matter what the results the car is fast enuff, not to mention theres no other 500 hp car that looks as good, or whines!

Yeah, I'm with ya on that ...3.9 0-60 might be a bit much with 57/43 weight distrib, but 11.90s and 100-teens, oh yesssss... I'm there.... production-flash, broken-in, good tires, some practice.... no prob!

;-)

Guest evilchris

These results are AS EXPECTED for a 3900 lb car. I can't believe how many of you IGNORE the weight of this car and expect it to peform like a Z06.

A RULE OF THUMB in Mustang land ( not fake Mustang land like old geezers with Shelby boners ) is 25HP per 100lbs of weight.

These results are AS EXPECTED for a 3900 lb car. I can't believe how many of you IGNORE the weight of this car and expect it to peform like a Z06.

A RULE OF THUMB in Mustang land ( not fake Mustang land like old geezers with Shelby boners ) is 25HP per 100lbs of weight.

Oh, Evil, you have a way with words :wacko: for sure. But you are so right -- this puppy is heavy and sucks up HP to move it -- it's just the physics of it.

I'm not sure what you mean by your rule of thumb -- wouldn't 25HP/100lbs mean 1000HP for GT500? But I know what you mean.

I saw on another site that the GT500 is tipping in at 3930 -- I thought i was gonna be 3850, but, hey, what's another 80lbs among friends...

Oh, Evil, you have a way with words :wacko: for sure. But you are so right -- this puppy is heavy and sucks up HP to move it -- it's just the physics of it.

I'm not sure what you mean by your rule of thumb -- wouldn't 25HP/100lbs mean 1000HP for GT500? But I know what you mean.

I saw on another site that the GT500 is tipping in at 3930 -- I thought i was gonna be 3850, but, hey, what's another 80lbs among friends...

Well you could definently lighten it up, if you get the rear seats deleted, take out the spare tire, and get the shakier 500 as opposed to the 1000. That would atleast make it you you can have one passenger and still have a car up to parr with it's normal performance.

With all due respect, I believe your "rule of thumb" is inaccurate. It's closer to 10-12HP / 100lbs.

The GT500 has a WtP ratio of ~8.2, which means for every 8.2lbs of weight removed, you gain the equivalent of 1HP. So, in this case, removing 100LBS of weight would be the equivalent of gaining ~12hp. On a GT, which has a significantly higher WtP ratio (~12), the effective HP return for losing 100lbs of weight is even less (around 8HP).

Now, I'm certainly not denying the fact that the GT500 is overweight, but I believe the perceived effects of that weight may be slightly overblown.

It's also the combination of the weight AND the 57/43 distribution. The GT500 has the torque to launch that mcuh weight quickly without a bunch of rpm, but e.t. will suffer much more than speed if you can't get it to the ground well. Just moving the battery to the trunk (assuming 3850lbs, 57/43 and 40lb bat.) changes weight distribution to 56/44 and that could mean 6-8 hundreths with no change in overall weight, but it will probably produce no noticeable change in trap speed. If the GT500 was 50/50 it would be a piece of cake 8 lbs/HP to get it into the 11.90s at 100hgh-teens. As it is, it wil take talent and tires (and three good shifts), but should still be doable, I believe -- we shall see....

I feel like when Homer (Simpson) went to buy the handgun and was told there's a one-week waiting period.... and exclaims: "...but I'm angry NOW!" ;-)

...but I want it NOW! :baby:

:shift:

It's also the combination of the weight AND the 57/43 distribution. The GT500 has the torque to launch that mcuh weight quickly without a bunch of rpm, but e.t. will suffer much more than speed if you can't get it to the ground well. Just moving the battery to the trunk (assuming 3850lbs, 57/43 and 40lb bat.) changes weight distribution to 56/44 and that could mean 6-8 hundreths with no change in overall weight, but it will probably produce no noticeable change in trap speed. If the GT500 was 50/50 it would be a piece of cake 8 lbs/HP to get it into the 11.90s at 100hgh-teens. As it is, it wil take talent and tires (and three good shifts), but should still be doable, I believe -- we shall see....

I feel like when Homer (Simpson) went to buy the handgun and was told there's a one-week waiting period.... and exclaims: "...but I'm angry NOW!" ;-)

...but I want it NOW! :baby:

One of my favorite episodes, if your waiting on this car, you can really relate.

Well, assuming the results in the 'Inside the Oval' article are legit, I'd say 12.25 @ 117 is getting power to the ground pretty darn well on street tires.....

Now obviously you can look at that two ways -- you can say but 'what if' the weight distribution was closer to 50/50, those numbers might be even better... Or you can take the numbers for what they are, which is pretty darn respectable if you ask me!

Well, assuming the results in the 'Inside the Oval' article are legit, I'd say 12.25 @ 117 is getting power to the ground pretty darn well on street tires.....

Now obviously you can look at that two ways -- you can say but 'what if' the weight distribution was closer to 50/50, those numbers might be even better... Or you can take the numbers for what they are, which is pretty darn respectable if you ask me!

I can relate and agree with you because I'm not buying the car. But If I was Id of course probably want more for the price. Either way with some sticky radials im telling you this car will see 11.9s.

I can relate and agree with you because I'm not buying the car. But If I was Id of course probably want more for the price. Either way with some sticky radials im telling you this car will see 11.9s.

Absolutely... and with 3.31 gears that's really impressive. Werent's the '03/'04s Cobras geared steeper? (the '01 was 3.27). With 475rwHP and 3.31s this puppy will probably see newr 170 flat out, if you flash the speed-limiter -- not that 155 won't do me fine....

Hi, I have been reading all of the replies to this lack of performance of the Shelby.

I have been racing 1/4 Mile all of my life and you people just do not understand the ablities of what Ford has created. FIVE OH B had it right. You people will be very surprised in the next few years...with a little help this car is going to fly! The engine as it stands will be capable of up to 800 Hp with no problem. :woohoo:

Hi, I have been reading all of the replies to this lack of performance of the Shelby.

I have been racing 1/4 Mile all of my life and you people just do not understand the ablities of what Ford has created. FIVE OH B had it right. You people will be very surprised in the next few years...with a little help this car is going to fly! The engine as it stands will be capable of up to 800 Hp with no problem. :woohoo:

Except for maybe the rods and pistons.........

I agree the car's a monster, and I'm trying to tell people this regardless of what magazines have been saying!

As is, the drive train design point with no bottom-end mods is around 650rwHP. An aftermarket reflash, pulleys for 12lb boost, etc., should get near that in an afternoon in the driveway. What a deal!

I don't lament what Ford has done -- it's an awesome piece of work! I just would like less weight -- and better weight distribution -- so more of that power can get to the gropund and moving faster with the street tires. This same engine in my '68fastback would smoke Z06s easily, but in a 2-ton car with 57/43 weight distrib it aint gonna happen. Nevertheless, a most awsome ride that I can't wait to love to death ;-)

But I do agree with you that, given the right built-up, and S.O. flash, 800+HP is no prob. I won't mod the bottom end any time soon tho. But I have seen aftermarket blown 5.4 modular build-ups available for boat/drag racing sporting 1300HP and 1260ft/lbs -- now that's gettin' with the program! So, yes, I see the potential of these motors... just wish it was available in a light(er) sport(s) car that will let it really fly... (like a CS Cobra ;-)

Archived