TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Can you take off in first with no gas pedal from a stop?

EXPcustom

I dont know if this is normal or not? I just did it two times in a row all stock 2007 GT500 no mods whatsoever 3000 miles. This works in reverse as well.

From a dead stop on level ground put your tranny in first and slowly lift the clutch pedal up. Do not touch the gas at all your car will go. Works in reverse as well.

I have owned other manual tranny cars and have never noticed this before.

Is it normal or not?

Anyone who can use a clutch well can do it. I've done it in every manual trans car I've ever owned...and that's a bunch of them, including 4 cyl. and rotary cars. So, I would say it's "normal".

I dont know if this is normal or not? I just did it two times in a row all stock 2007 GT500 no mods whatsoever 3000 miles. This works in reverse as well.

From a dead stop on level ground put your tranny in first and slowly lift the clutch pedal up. Do not touch the gas at all your car will go. Works in reverse as well.

Is it normal or not?

This will be convenient if you are ever unfortunate enough to lose a limb. Geez...what are you doing?

Get a hobby! :hysterical2::hysterical::headspin:

bj

Is it normal or not?

IN neutral what is your idle r.p.m?????????

Yep - I've done this to locate the friction point on the clutch and often use this approach to slowly back out of the garage. But there's only a very short travel before the clutch fully grabs and if there is not enough speed you will quickly stall the engine.

Let me clarify...

2007 GT500 everything is stock including the idle setting at 700-750rpm.

I have done this in cars that are carborated and the idle is set very high never in a new car.

What I am saying is from a dead stop no gas just lift the clutch up and no gas the car will not stall and go to about 15mph.

I have only stalled other cars I tried this in including my 98 SVT cobra.

So I take it this is normal? It tripped me out as I was never able to do it before on any other car.

I never had a car that would roll forward as I slowly let off the clutch like this car does. It was like giving the car gas but I was letting off the clutch...weird...or at least new to me.

My 98 SVT Cobra if you have it in first and slowly let off the clutch it wont really roll forward then it stalls, my GT500 will not stall and go to about 15mph in first.

Its normal, any manual tranny car should do that

If you cant move forward or backward depending on which gear you are in without giving it gas, then something is wrong.

You should not have to use the gas, but it helps speed things up as sometimes you dont want to sit there while you very slowly take your foot off the clutch.

I would worry if you absolutley have to use the gas to get moving.

I have only owned 2 vehicles with manual transmission in my life, a 1965 Mustang HiPo 289 and my GT500. I used to back out of a 1 car garage with the 65 without using any gas and it was on a level floor. On the new GT500 I back out of the garage very slowly every time I use it without using the gas pedal at all. I really think it is normal. I wouldn't worry about it.

All my manual trans cars have allowed me to go forward without any gas. That is also the best way to teach someone that does not know how to drive a stick. They get the total feel of the clutch without interference from the gas. After they master the clutch only a few times, adding the gas pedal makes it even easier. plus they learn the exact feel of where the clutch engages and stops the car from rolling back on a hill.

Archived