TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Would have been a great opportunity for Ford?

LSR

If Ford wanted to really make a huge bang with the release of the GT500 Shelby.

An attempt to have the GT500 Shelby be the official pace car of the Indianapolis 500 would have been BIG in the Muscle Car Wars.

This would have given Ford fans and collectors another great car to choose from.

Also this would have been a great way to aknowledge and say thanks Mr. C. Shelby for his accomplishments.

This would have been huge in advertisment, public relations, and just a huge mark for Ford period.

The GT500 Shelby, the 2006 Indy Pace Car, would have been a huge showing of American Muscle to millions watching the Indy 500 accross the world. (rather it be NASCAR or Formula cart and other races throughout the year).

An attempt to have the GT500 Shelby be the official pace car of the Indianapolis 500 would have been BIG in the Muscle Car Wars.

This would have given Ford fans and collectors another great car to choose from.

Also this would have been a great way to aknowledge and say thanks Mr. C. Shelby for his accomplishments.

This would have been huge in advertisment, public relations, and just a huge mark for Ford period.

The GT500 Shelby, the 2006 Indy Pace Car, would have been a huge showing of American Muscle to millions watching the Indy 500 accross the world. (rather it be NASCAR or Formula cart and other races throughout the year).

Ford, you need to hire me to give the company the boost it needs.

That one isnt going to be one that you can change. Chevy has had a lock on that one for years.

The GT500 Shelby, the 2006 Indy Pace Car, would have been a huge showing of American Muscle to millions watching the Indy 500 accross the world.

What about an 07 Shelby GT500 pacing the 07 Indy 500? How is it that GM has a lock on providing pace cars for the 500? $$$$?

What about an 07 Shelby GT500 pacing the 07 Indy 500? How is it that GM has a lock on providing pace cars for the 500? $$$$?

Methinks it has to do with politics. The Champcar/IRL thing. Ford is the sole supplier to the Champcar World Series and as such is part of the peeing match going on. The IRL is the George families project and so defacto Ford is on the outside looking in. Personally I wish the whole bunch of them would take a long walk off a short pier and sort it out as the thing is killing open wheel racing(ratings are brutal) and all the reasons that the IRL split in the first place(ovals, American drivers, cheaper cars) are all invalid as the IRL is just a copy of Champ car with neither series going anywhere.

Would`nt be a bad idea having a 2007 Shelby leading the pack as a pace car & Mr. Shelby at the wheel.

Won`t happen Just ask HONDA.

Shelby 001

Would`nt be a bad idea having a 2007 Shelby leading the pack as a pace car & Mr. Shelby at the wheel.

Won`t happen Just ask HONDA.

Shelby 001

Well had to bite my lip when i saw a Toyota pace car at the Coca Cola 600. Its about the money!!!

Thanks for the comments...I was blown away yesterday when they stated during the telecast of the race that 100% of the field was powered by Honda. I know that in the very early years of the race there were entries of most every marque including the europeans. I have gotten a bit off-topic here, so in closing I'll say its a shame to me that a race as American as Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie and Ford, no longer is able to produce a powerplant thats worth its salt at Indy.

Archived