TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch

Ok I still have my stock clutch but I know its not going to hold up long. I'm trying to figure out which way to go when I put one in. I want a clutch that will stand up to 575hp and still give a progressive release and be a frindly clutch for the street. So if you have had positive or negative experiences with whats out there please post them here.

Ok I still have my stock clutch but I know its not going to hold up long. I'm trying to figure out which way to go when I put one in. I want a clutch that will stand up to 575hp and still give a progressive release and be a frindly clutch for the street. So if you have had positive or negative experiences with whats out there please post them here.

Wow! Clutch shopping already? :hysterical2:

I have heard great thing about the Spec clutches. Go to thier website, then call and talk to the tech. He suggested a spec 2+ for a s/c ed car. Louie uses this clutch, 11.5 1/4 mile. Its what Im going to once my clutch fails.

my SGT is the 1st car i owned with a manual trans

how long do stock clutches last in cars with normal use?

and what does a worn clutch feel like?

When you're in gear, and you can rev up the motor with the car in gear just like you were in neutral, that's a pretty bad sign. Slipping clutch smells like burning brakes (except I'm not sure if these clutches are the same material). Sometimes if it's too thin the disk won't "grab" and is spins.

Sometimes the clutch won't let go - the car creeps when the pedal is in and you are in gear. That's usually a linkage problem

Ugly noise, rattling when the clutch pedal is OUT but goes away when you push it in means your throwout bearing is shot.

I had an engine seize when a pressure plate spring retainer broke and jammed against the flywheel housing. It fell out when I separated the tranny - I've never been so happy to see a broken pressure plate! I thought it was the crankshaft!

All in all, it's about as subtle as a Mack Truck.

Some folk are easy on clutches, some aren't. 40k miles for a daily driver, 90k if you're not in a lot of traffic (freeway), 20k if all you drive is stop-and-go. Many varied opinions on that subject. Best I've gotten is 75K, worst is 18K.

When you're in gear, and you can rev up the motor with the car in gear just like you were in neutral, that's a pretty bad sign. Slipping clutch smells like burning brakes (except I'm not sure if these clutches are the same material). Sometimes if it's too thin the disk won't "grab" and is spins.

Sometimes the clutch won't let go - the car creeps when the pedal is in and you are in gear. That's usually a linkage problem

Ugly noise, rattling when the clutch pedal is OUT but goes away when you push it in means your throwout bearing is shot.

I had an engine seize when a pressure plate spring retainer broke and jammed against the flywheel housing. It fell out when I separated the tranny - I've never been so happy to see a broken pressure plate! I thought it was the crankshaft!

All in all, it's about as subtle as a Mack Truck.

Some folk are easy on clutches, some aren't. 40k miles for a daily driver, 90k if you're not in a lot of traffic (freeway), 20k if all you drive is stop-and-go. Many varied opinions on that subject. Best I've gotten is 75K, worst is 18K.

hmm...i drive in town. about half the time its stop and go. but the way i started out drivin this thing i probly put about 10k miles worth of wear in the clutch in the first 500 miles tryin to get used to when it fully engages the flywheel when takin off. i shift pretty smooth now. i can do it without hearing that anoying "clunk" sound in the rear end when u let out the clutch too quick while goin through the gears.

by the way is that rear end "clunk" sound normal when shifting?

Archived