TEAM SHELBY FORUM

POLL # 2

07SGT4578

STICK OR AUTO  

89 members have voted

1. 1. What transmission is in your SGT?

• 5-spd auto
    • 5-spd manual

My SGTSC has an auto. I initally fought tooth and nail against the auto, but my SO doesn't drive a stick and she was fed up that she was not able to drive my 500, so I caved and bought the auto.

But you know what? I'm very happy that I did. With the SC and the Diablo tune, the shift points are quite agressive, and the car launches from a dead stop like a bat out of hell. The car will chirp tires in second and third with no problem, and dropping a gear at freeway speeds is a religious experience.

With regards to the general rhetoric here by some who think that automatic transmissions are only good for mini vans and the like, allow me to point out what direction ultra high performance supercars are taking with their transmissions nowdays. Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren, and Bugatti just to name a few are all equipping their cars with automatic/manual transmissions with electronic clutchs that engage and disengage in about 1.2 seconds, and the gear shifting is either done by the driver using up/down paddles mounted on the steering wheel or by the car dependant on the driver's selection.

Hell, forget about the supercars, Tiptronic transmissions have been installed in Porsches and Mercedes for the last 6 years or so, and even the soon to be released tiny Smart for Two car has a manual/automatic transmission with an electronic clutch in it.

Having said all that, the final rub about this stuff is that my SO loves the SGTSC so much, she's now freaked out that she will f it up and won't drive it because of that. So I'm now the primary driver of the Shelby, automatic and all. But like I said before, I'm very happy that it has the auto because now I intend to install a paddle shifter system on it and have the best of both worlds; auto or manual shifting at my finger tips at will. Driving down the highway? Select "D" and cruse. Driving on a twisty canyon road, go manual and change gears with the paddles like a manual transmission.

So what's my SO going to drive? I ordered her a Smart for Two that will be here late February or early March. From a Shelby to a Smart car...Go figure but that's what she wants. She absolutely fell in love with the Smart, sooo cute as she calls it....oh well, with 30,000 pre-production orders already in for for the car, aparantly she's not the only one who's in love with it.

My SGTSC has an auto. I initally fought tooth and nail against the auto, but my SO doesn't drive a stick and she was fed up that she was not able to drive my 500, so I caved and bought the auto.

But you know what? I'm very happy that I did. With the SC and the Diablo tune, the shift points are quite agressive, and the car launches from a dead stop like a bat out of hell. The car will chirp tires in second and third with no problem, and dropping a gear at freeway speeds is a religious experience.

With regards to the general rhetoric here by some who think that automatic transmissions are only good for mini vans and the like, allow me to point out what direction ultra high performance supercars are taking with their transmissions nowdays. Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren, and Bugatti just to name a few are all equipping their cars with automatic/manual transmissions with electronic clutchs that engage and disengage in about 1.2 seconds, and the gear shifting is either done by the driver using up/down paddles mounted on the steering wheel or by the car dependant on the driver's selection.

Hell, forget about the supercars, Tiptronic transmissions have been installed in Porsches and Mercedes for the last 6 years or so, and even the soon to be released tiny Smart for Two car has a manual/automatic transmission with an electronic clutch in it.

Having said all that, the final rub about this stuff is that my SO loves the SGTSC so much, she's now freaked out that she will f it up and won't drive it because of that. So I'm now the primary driver of the Shelby, automatic and all. But like I said before, I'm very happy that it has the auto because now I intend to install a paddle shifter system on it and have the best of both worlds; auto or manual shifting at my finger tips at will. Driving down the highway? Select "D" and cruse. Driving on a twisty canyon road, go manual and change gears with the paddles like a manual transmission.

So what's my SO going to drive? I ordered her a Smart for Two that will be here late February or early March. From a Shelby to a Smart car...Go figure but that's what she wants. She absolutely fell in love with the Smart, sooo cute as she calls it....oh well, with 30,000 pre-production orders already in for for the car, aparantly she's not the only one who's in love with it.

Got any pics of that Bronco?

I want a SMART like this one!!!!!

I want a SMART like this one!!!!!

this poor guy just realized he spent too much money on his car :hysterical2:

OMG that's F'IN NUTS!!! I LOVE IT!!!!! Hummm.... Hey Amy, how about building a Shelby Smart with one of these Ferrari killers? You could call it the Super Smart or Snake Bit. :hysterical2:

Got any pics of that Bronco?

Yes I do.

th_MVC-638S.jpg

th_MVC-645S.jpg

th_MVC-723S.jpg

Yes I do.

th_MVC-638S.jpg

th_MVC-645S.jpg

th_MVC-723S.jpg

Very nice!

Next to Mustangs, also a Bronco nut! We had 5 still have 1...favorite was my Brother's 78 Bronco Ranger w/ 44's!

A ferrari running 13.4 thats just wrong.as for this post,Automatics today are no joke.My 04 Mach1 with a converter,tune,Hpipe, ran 12.80's on stock Goodyears.Now that being said there is no way a Stick driver will shift as fast as the computer or as consistent.If anything alll else equal a stick will only out MPH a auto due to drive train loss.Imagine running 12.80 at 106 in a NA Mach1 while a 03 Cobra runs 13.2 at 117mph with mods.The Cobra is faster but the driver doesnt allow the car to use the available power for a Good ET.Now for road racing its stick everytime so you can down shift into the turns.My .02

Archived