TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need to enable Daytime Runners

Hey guys, loving the hell out of my SGT so far but it has to have DRL to pass Canadian inspection laws. I have traipsed all over the forums and most of the interwebs looking for a detailed explanation of exactly how it can be done through the SJB but so far I can't even find 2 answers that are the same. Apparently all of the dealers in Saskatchewan fail at being smart enough to do this so I figured the next best spot was here. If anyone knows the process to go through could you please give me a hand, it would be very much appreciated as I don't want the dealer throwing some jobber piece of random electronics from some guy's daytime running lights company when it can be (as far as I know) simply turned on in the SJB. Thanks for reading if nothing else. =)

Some guy with hopefully the only SGT in SK,

Darren G

I am surprised it is a LAW? I thought is was for vehicles built in Canada, but did not think it applied to imports. The Mustang is built in MI, and even if they did something for Canadian sales, I have to believe there is a way around it? If not, heck move to the US, everyone else is :hysterical::hysterical2: Sorry had to! :finger:

I am surprised it is a LAW? I thought is was for vehicles built in Canada, but did not think it applied to imports. The Mustang is built in MI, and even if they did something for Canadian sales, I have to believe there is a way around it? If not, heck move to the US, everyone else is :hysterical::hysterical2: Sorry had to! :finger:

lol, I agree with both of you, and being a computer tech I am of the mind that it would be ridiculous for car manufacturers to not incorporate something as simple as this into the onboard system, the rest of the bloody car is, why not the lights? Oh well, I talked to the 2 largest dealers in SK and they told me that they would just buy a kit for it and slap it in so I figured I may as well just get my trusted local mechanic to do the same for about 1/3 the price.

PS: I'd move to the States but the border guards scared me home when I was bringing my car across last week. true story. =P

completely unrelated topic, I picked up the car used with under 500 miles on it, and I switched on the Sirius radio whilst driving her home and lo and behold, it was activated. Was this a lifetime from the factory option? I'm thinking it must be as I'm sure it was 6 months since the car was originally titled and registered and most likely the sat was turned on at that point. I thought I remembered hearing something about ford offering 6 month trials with new vehicles but I don't recall exactly. Mine is #2045, is there anywhere to do a look up per car as for the options installed? Other than the Oasis system, which simply mentioned that sat radio was installed, I guess.

completely unrelated topic, I picked up the car used with under 500 miles on it, and I switched on the Sirius radio whilst driving her home and lo and behold, it was activated. Was this a lifetime from the factory option? I'm thinking it must be as I'm sure it was 6 months since the car was originally titled and registered and most likely the sat was turned on at that point. I thought I remembered hearing something about ford offering 6 month trials with new vehicles but I don't recall exactly. Mine is #2045, is there anywhere to do a look up per car as for the options installed? Other than the Oasis system, which simply mentioned that sat radio was installed, I guess.

I believe there was a 6 month deal, maybe a year, but as I understand the system, once it is signed up, they are not great at turning them off. Also, if whomever had the car bought an extension, who knows, may not switch until they inform, or with any luck, never! Good luck.

If you have questions you can call sirius at 1-866-635-5041.

Re the day time driving lights; go to Mustangs Unlimited www.mustangsunlimited.com

new catalog shows a Daytime Running Lights Module that splices into your turn signals and automatically controls when they should be on. During the day they function as DRL but turn off when yyou turn on your lights.

Part # WE4 44.95 each.

07SGT

Hey guys, loving the hell out of my SGT so far but it has to have DRL to pass Canadian inspection laws. I have traipsed all over the forums and most of the interwebs looking for a detailed explanation of exactly how it can be done through the SJB but so far I can't even find 2 answers that are the same. Apparently all of the dealers in Saskatchewan fail at being smart enough to do this so I figured the next best spot was here. If anyone knows the process to go through could you please give me a hand, it would be very much appreciated as I don't want the dealer throwing some jobber piece of random electronics from some guy's daytime running lights company when it can be (as far as I know) simply turned on in the SJB. Thanks for reading if nothing else. =)

Some guy with hopefully the only SGT in SK,

Darren G

Darren sorry to hear about red tape issues. I'm almost positive that somebody on the east coast of Canada imported an SGT. I don't know if they are on this forum or the Shelby forum. Perhaps you could post it over there, title it "Who has an SGT in Canada?" My other advice would be to contact an import company that does this kind of thing all the time. It will probably cost you a few bucks, but it sounds like you obviously love the car. Todd, (BCShelby I believe) is living in BC and he too may have some insight to help you. He bought the car in Oregon and then moved to BC. I don't know if the car is registered in BC, but I know the car is up there. Probably just a few hoops you'll have to jump through, be patient.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Dave

Darren, as I Replied to your other Post.... just in case you didn't see it.............

Sorry, your Dealer is full of Crap. All 2005 and newer Mustangs use the SJB technology for Lighting... as do all newly designed Fords since 2005. Do not let any Dealer start messing with your Wiring Harness or you'll be asking for trouble. :(

Call Ford Technical/Customer Service and have them call your Dealer to straighten things out. If you want more confirmation, Post your question in the Ford Forum on http://www.flatratetech.com Take the Answer(s) you receive to your Dealer. Actually, do a search on Daytime Running Lights in the Ford Forums first... you might not have to Post.

I bought an 06' Freestyle from the US and my Dealer insisted that it needed a DRL Relay installed. I thought better and did some searching... $35 later my Dealer activated them for me with a touch or two using the Ford WDS, World Diagnostic System.

Let us know how things go!

p.s Do Not Try This At Home!! ;)

Dave.

Darren, as I Replied to your other Post.... just in case you didn't see it.............

Sorry, your Dealer is full of Crap. All 2005 and newer Mustangs use the SJB technology for Lighting... as do all newly designed Fords since 2005. Do not let any Dealer start messing with your Wiring Harness or you'll be asking for trouble. :(

Call Ford Technical/Customer Service and have them call your Dealer to straighten things out. If you want more confirmation, Post your question in the Ford Forum on http://www.flatratetech.com Take the Answer(s) you receive to your Dealer. Actually, do a search on Daytime Running Lights in the Ford Forums first... you might not have to Post.

I bought an 06' Freestyle from the US and my Dealer insisted that it needed a DRL Relay installed. I thought better and did some searching... $35 later my Dealer activated them for me with a touch or two using the Ford WDS, World Diagnostic System.

Let us know how things go!

p.s Do Not Try This At Home!! ;)

Dave.

Thanks for all of your help everyone, I'm glad to be a new part of such a great community of car enthusiasts, as I was, and still am in the Thunderbird Supercoupe community. Oh, and I still love my SC. =)

I will definitely check out that forum and get things figured out, I don't mind putting in a DRL kit but I would really prefer not to if it's as simple as enabling it in the pooter.

As for the mention of turning my lights on everytime I drive, I do anyways but the man says they have to be DRL regardless, in Canadia. Oh well, that seems to be the only hurdle I have in getting this done. Everything else on the Federal safety inspection list is trivial, IE: french airbag labels to comply with our silly dual language country, child safety restraint thingamies, metric capable gauges, etc. The list appears to be tailored to my car as to what it will need to conform to Canadian standards. Thank god that I don't have to mess with the bumpers or anything like that. This car is safer than 9/10ths of the crap I see driving around in my town...

Keep on rollin,

Darren G

**edit** Hey, I just clued in, lol, I just PM'd you on flatratetech, 07shelby. I was wondering what dealer you went to and got it done, so I can call them up and see about getting a detailed description of what would have to be done to enable the lights so i can take it to my local dealer and make them do it properly.

Thanks for all of your help everyone, I'm glad to be a new part of such a great community of car enthusiasts, as I was, and still am in the Thunderbird Supercoupe community. Oh, and I still love my SC. =)

I will definitely check out that forum and get things figured out, I don't mind putting in a DRL kit but I would really prefer not to if it's as simple as enabling it in the pooter.

As for the mention of turning my lights on everytime I drive, I do anyways but the man says they have to be DRL regardless, in Canadia. Oh well, that seems to be the only hurdle I have in getting this done. Everything else on the Federal safety inspection list is trivial, IE: french airbag labels to comply with our silly dual language country, child safety restraint thingamies, metric capable gauges, etc. The list appears to be tailored to my car as to what it will need to conform to Canadian standards. Thank god that I don't have to mess with the bumpers or anything like that. This car is safer than 9/10ths of the crap I see driving around in my town...

Keep on rollin,

Darren G

**edit** Hey, I just clued in, lol, I just PM'd you on flatratetech, 07shelby. I was wondering what dealer you went to and got it done, so I can call them up and see about getting a detailed description of what would have to be done to enable the lights so i can take it to my local dealer and make them do it properly.

Darren, it was Barrie Ford in Barrie Ontario. Ask to speak to Ozzie at the Service Desk.

P.S. Way to Go Saskatchewan Roughriders... Grey Cup Champs 2007!!!! :)

Define DRL's as per Canadian rules. Can it not just be the low beams on the car that come on automatically when the car is started? If so that is a super simple mod with a 30 amp relay wired to your low beams and the relay hot to the key switch - assuming your car can not be done with factory DRL's.

Define DRL's as per Canadian rules. Can it not just be the low beams on the car that come on automatically when the car is started? If so that is a super simple mod with a 30 amp relay wired to your low beams and the relay hot to the key switch - assuming your car can not be done with factory DRL's.

I'm sure just having the low beams on when the car starts is sufficient, I would just prefer to exhaust the option of having it enabled in the SJB before wires get clipped. I've been talking with another guy on flatratetech.com and he thinks that I may have to get a new SJB module that has the option built into it, as the american one might not have the proper programming to simply "flip it on" as it were. Apparently there's a Canadian one that has DRL as one of the options along with the rest of the standard stuff. Not sure why this is the case, if it was some sort of flash programmable eeprom you could just put whatever the hell you wanted in there. Of course, I'm a computer tech and I am seeing the automotive possibilities of an onboard computer from a different perspective. I guess I'll phone Ozzie (man I wish my name was ozzie..) at Barrie Ford if the next pseudo local Ford dealer here gives me the shaft.

Darren

I'm sure just having the low beams on when the car starts is sufficient, I would just prefer to exhaust the option of having it enabled in the SJB before wires get clipped. I've been talking with another guy on flatratetech.com and he thinks that I may have to get a new SJB module that has the option built into it, as the american one might not have the proper programming to simply "flip it on" as it were. Apparently there's a Canadian one that has DRL as one of the options along with the rest of the standard stuff. Not sure why this is the case, if it was some sort of flash programmable eeprom you could just put whatever the hell you wanted in there. Of course, I'm a computer tech and I am seeing the automotive possibilities of an onboard computer from a different perspective. I guess I'll phone Ozzie (man I wish my name was ozzie..) at Barrie Ford if the next pseudo local Ford dealer here gives me the shaft.

Darren

Darren, I Imported an 05' Excursion back in October 05'. I had the Dealer in NY, where I bought it from, do the DRL work. I honestly don't know if the Excursion had an SJB..? But, when I had the Federal Inspection done at Crappy Tire they informed me that the DRLs weren't done correctly. The Dealer did a 'hack job'. They spliced into the low beam circuit to turn on the Low Beams as soon as the Ignition was turned On. Problem was is that when the High Beams were turned on... the Low Beams didn't turn Off. They let it go because it effectively had DRLs! That truck is now in Alberta somewhere............

As far as the SJB being different in the USA and Canada... I don't think so. I see you saw my Posting about my 06' Freestyle on Flatratetech.com. Try contacting the Admin Warren Johnson directly.

Also, I'm PMing you the phone number of a member of the GTA Mustang club whom I met up with a few weeks ago that Imported an 07' GT500 from Michigan this summer.

This is verging on the ridiculous :(

Nuts eh?

p.s. I had a 95' 5 Speed SC! Nice Car..... :yup:

But, when I had the Federal Inspection done at Crappy Tire they informed me that the DRLs weren't done correctly. The Dealer did a 'hack job'. They spliced into the low beam circuit to turn on the Low Beams as soon as the Ignition was turned On. Problem was is that when the High Beams were turned on... the Low Beams didn't turn Off. They let it go because it effectively had DRLs!

WOW! You guys get dinged for that? That is one of my favorite mods! :eek5:

Just a quick update on this for the informations sake if anyone else is needing this done, I've been talking with a rather nice chap on flatratetech.com named Karrpilot who has done a bit of research for me, and there is indeed an SJB for the Canadian mustangs which has the DRL command built into it, though it does still need to be programmed. I've gone ahead and ordered that piece, regardless of the $400 dollar price tag. I don't wish for some random mechanic that I don't know to start splicing things, which sadly, was just about what the Ford dealer I had it to this morning was about to do before I flew across the room and tore into him. Thanks again to 07ShelbyCobra for the # for that bloke in Ontario, I'm definitely going to ring him and find out how exactly he dealt with it. You guys are all extremely helpful and I thank you very much for your input.

PS: I still gots the SC, wonderfully fun, jammy little car. She's my winter driver now as it is an 89 and starting to show her age. Still in great shape though. I may have to make a holiday out of a Vegas trip to get SAI to supercharge my new baby too. I miss the whine. =)

Archived