TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR Hoods.. are they available?

Redskunk08

Does anyone know if the KR Hoods (w/ hood pins) are available to upgrade a GT500 Vert, and if so, how much?

I want to do a set of Skunk Stripes anyway, so may as well do the KR hood, if I can get one...

Hey, it's only money!

Redshunk08,

Read through this SU thread, it's over on the GT500 Mods Forum:

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...showtopic=12745

I've got a Trufiber Venom hood on order, I should have it B4 the end of this year.

Good luck with it,

WP

What are "skunk stripes"? Can you provide a link or post a picture of them? Do they smell shunky? :hysterical2:

"What are "skunk stripes"? Can you provide a link or post a picture of them? Do they smell shunky?" :hysterical2:

He, He! No not "Shunky"... Skunky!!!

Back in the day (I'm an official Old Fart!) everyone called the Le Mans stripes on my '67 GT500 "Skunk Stripes". because, 1. They looked like the stripes on the back of a skunk, and 2. there was a connection to Carroll's "Skunk Works", which probably came from the dual Le Mans stripes he put on his cars...

BTW, i did look at the Shelby Performance Parts web pages, and did not see the Super Snake hood, but I prolly just missed it... will look again...

Thanks folks! Hope everyone had a great Turkey Day!

"What are "skunk stripes"? Can you provide a link or post a picture of them? Do they smell shunky?" :hysterical2:

He, He! No not "Shunky"... Skunky!!!

Back in the day (I'm an official Old Fart!) everyone called the Le Mans stripes on my '67 GT500 "Skunk Stripes". because, 1. They looked like the stripes on the back of a skunk, and 2. there was a connection to Carroll's "Skunk Works", which probably came from the dual Le Mans stripes he put on his cars...

BTW, i did look at the Shelby Performance Parts web pages, and did not see the Super Snake hood, but I prolly just missed it... will look again...

Thanks folks! Hope everyone had a great Turkey Day!

"Shunky"... :hysterical:

I should wear my glasses more often, looked like skunky to me at the time.

Go here for the new Shelby Performanve Parts catalog with the Super Snake hood:

http://scottdrake.net/SPPCatalog2007LO-RES.pdf

It takes a little time to download so be patient, lots there to see...

Regards,

WP

Does anyone know if the KR Hoods (w/ hood pins) are available to upgrade a GT500 Vert, and if so, how much?

I want to do a set of Skunk Stripes anyway, so may as well do the KR hood, if I can get one...

Hey, it's only money!

The KR hood will not be available for a LOOooonnnggg time. But, I am sure someone will purchase the liciencing rights to produce it eventually..............

If that is the style you like, I would just go ahead and buy a similar one like the Super Snake hood.

KingCobra.

I wonder why the Super Snake Hoods are available thru Shelby Performance Parts, but the KR hoods are not , and are not expected to be??? What is the difference, other than minor design differences..

Is the Carbon Fiber the big deal here?

I am assuming that the SS hoods are fiberglass, as opposed to CF???

If anyone knows, I would like to hear their reasoning...

In the mean time, I may get an SS hood and have my body shop sculpt the front to more closely match the KR hood... if it is in the "under $1,000.00" price range...

Have a great holiday weekend, or whats left of it!

I wonder why the Super Snake Hoods are available thru Shelby Performance Parts, but the KR hoods are not , and are not expected to be??? What is the difference, other than minor design differences..

Is the Carbon Fiber the big deal here?

I am assuming that the SS hoods are fiberglass, as opposed to CF???<BR><BR>If anyone knows, I would like to hear their reasoning...

In the mean time, I may get an SS hood and have my body shop sculpt the front to more closely match the KR hood... if it is in the "under $1,000.00" price range...

Have a great holiday weekend, or whats left of it!

There was rumor that the CF SAI KR hood would be sold seperatly, it was also rumored that the list/retail cost would be $1800.  I suspect that current production of the SAI KR hood is dedicated to getting 1000 of them on the shelf for the GT500KR project. There was also rumor that the KR hood would not be sold seperatly and keep it exclusive to the GT500KR cars but I gave little attention to this rumor.  Why?  Because SAI is a business, they are in this game to make money first and foremost, with this in mind, why would they allow aftermarket manufactures to be the sole source of their design? 

No, SAI is today living a wonderful business and marketing revitalization, with a little help from Ford (cars), Mattel (management), distribution (Scott Drake Enterprises)), and marketing (I don't know who their marketing people are but they're good). It use to be all about the racing and building cars to race and sell to pay for the racing (this is my own perception of SAI); as Mr. Shelby has recently stated, "When I finally decided to chase my dream of racing and building cars, it was the most important decision I've ever made." Notice "racing" came first...but as the years go by things change, people change, corporate philosophy changes and the prize, the goal, can change as well.  That's no dig on my part, I'm a believer, somewhat...Having a BS in socialogy and marketing and a MBA makes me view companies through a different lens than most do; especially those with enthusiasm and brand loyality. 

Redskunk08, why would you have a shop remake a Super Snake hood to look more like a KR hood when you have aftermarket options for the KR hood?  It will take a lot of work ($$$) to get a SS hood to look like a KR hood, maybe twice as much money as a Trufiber Venom hood...I've sometimes not allowed money get in the way of my desires, but I'm scratching my head over this one.

Regards all, I'm headed out on the road,

WP

You make a very good point! I will need to do the price comparisons to the Venom Hood and see how it all stacks up...

From my first views, it appeared the SS Hood would be very nearly the same as the KR hood, with the exception of the front scoop "overhang", whch could be sectioned off and cleaned up to make an "almost perfect" KR hood... which I can get for $850.00, unfinshed... plus my shop's labor to finish, trim and paint... Figure another $1K for that, as I just had them do another one (for a different car).

Or... maybe the Venom hood is the best way to go... $750.00 for one of those??? Plus the same to finish...

Thanks for the tip!

There was rumor that the CF SAI KR hood would be sold seperatly, it was also rumored that the list/retail cost would be $1800.  I suspect that current production of the SAI KR hood is dedicated to getting 1000 of them on the shelf for the GT500KR project. There was also rumor that the KR hood would not be sold seperatly and keep it exclusive to the GT500KR cars but I gave little attention to this rumor.  Why?  Because SAI is a business, they are in this game to make money first and foremost, with this in mind, why would they allow aftermarket manufactures to be the sole source of their design? 

No, SAI is today living a wonderful business and marketing revitalization, with a little help from Ford (cars), Mattel (management), distribution (Scott Drake Enterprises)), and marketing (I don't know who their marketing people are but they're good). It use to be all about the racing and building cars to race and sell to pay for the racing (this is my own perception of SAI); as Mr. Shelby has recently stated, "When I finally decided to chase my dream of racing and building cars, it was the most important decision I've ever made." Notice "racing" came first...but as the years go by things change, people change, corporate philosophy changes and the prize, the goal, can change as well.  That's no dig on my part, I'm a believer, somewhat...Having a BS in socialogy and marketing and a MBA makes me view companies through a different lens than most do; especially those with enthusiasm and brand loyality. 

Redskunk08, why would you have a shop remake a Super Snake hood to look more like a KR hood when you have aftermarket options for the KR hood?  It will take a lot of work ($$$) to get a SS hood to look like a KR hood, maybe twice as much money as a Trufiber Venom hood...I've sometimes not allowed money get in the way of my desires, but I'm scratching my head over this one.

Regards all, I'm headed out on the road,

WP

Hey WP,

Who are you ordering your stripes from for the Trufiber hood? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ripo

• 1 month later...

A couple of you have asked if I got my Venom hood (KR style) yet and I just told you that it's been delayed but that's not the whole story. Yes, my order has been delayed but only because I delayed it. I found out, from those who shall remain nameless, that Trufiber will produce two KR style hoods, one with twist-in, push down hood locks/pins and one without them. The Venom hoods without the hood locks/pins should now be available now through BMC, the ones with the hood locks/pins will be available in late February early March; I decided to wait for the Venom hood with the hood locks/pins.

Just thought I'd update this thread,

WP

A couple of you have asked if I got my Venom hood (KR style) yet and I just told you that it's been delayed but that's not the whole story. Yes, my order has been delayed but only because I delayed it. I found out, from those who shall remain nameless, that Trufiber will produce two KR style hoods, one with twist-in, push down hood locks/pins and one without them. The Venom hoods without the hood locks/pins should now be available now through BMC, the ones with the hood locks/pins will be available in late February early March.

WP

WP - Is there a price difference? I ordered a Venom hood two weeks ago and have always wanted the push down hood pins.

Will the hood pins come with the hood?

A couple of you have asked if I got my Venom hood (KR style) yet and I just told you that it's been delayed but that's not the whole story. Yes, my order has been delayed but only because I delayed it. I found out, from those who shall remain nameless, that Trufiber will produce two KR style hoods, one with twist-in, push down hood locks/pins and one without them. The Venom hoods without the hood locks/pins should now be available now through BMC, the ones with the hood locks/pins will be available in late February early March.

WP

WP - Is there a price difference? I ordered a Venom hood two weeks ago and have always wanted the push down hood pins.

Will the hood pins come with the hood?

A couple of you have asked if I got my Venom hood (KR style) yet and I just told you that it's been delayed but that's not the whole story. Yes, my order has been delayed but only because I delayed it. I found out, from those who shall remain nameless, that Trufiber will produce two KR style hoods, one with twist-in, push down hood locks/pins and one without them. The Venom hoods without the hood locks/pins should now be available now through BMC, the ones with the hood locks/pins will be available in late February early March; I decided to wait for the Venom hood with the hood locks/pins.

WP

Just a note for those willing to wait.

They also said they will produce the twist down version in carbon fiber.

Not sure on price yet(mid Jan they said they will have a answer)

Archived