TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT Shelby/Bear big brake upgrade - review?

Unbelieveable, fantastic, wonderful, and hands down a much better braking system than the Brenbo's on my 500. I highly recommend the conversion and to be frank, I can't wait for the SS conversion to get done on my 500 so it has the Shelby/Baer system on it too.

Unbelieveable, fantastic, wonderful, and hands down a much better braking system than the Brenbo's on my 500. I highly recommend the conversion and to be frank, I can't wait for the SS conversion to get done on my 500 so it has the Shelby/Baer system on it too.

I have the Saleen/Alcons on y S351R and I love them. I would guess that the Bear brake system through Shelby would be about the same. As I was only directly toward this option by a fellow member from another board, I don´t exactly what it includes or the technical specs.

Can anyone guide me towards this info? This is what I have for now.

Available Installed Options for a 2008 Shelby GT

Paxton Super Charger(Satin) 6,195.00

Paxton Super Charger(Polished) 6,395.00

Ford Racing/Whipple Supercharger 7,480.00

Ford Racing/Whipple Supercharger(Polished)7,850.00

Shelby/ BAER Big Brakes 2,400.00

Shelby/ BAER EXTREME Brakes 4,200.00

20" Shelby Razors w/Tires 2,175.00

Shelby Brake Duct Kit 499.00

Shelby Gauges (S/C cars) 1,087.00

Shelby Gauges (non S/C cars) 980.00

Lower Grille w/Driving lights 425.00

Sequential Tail Lights 249.00

GT Spoiler 499.00

Billet Fluid Caps 310.00

CS Grille w/Driving Lights 575.00

GT-H/ CS Hood 1,599.00

Thank you

I have the Saleen/Alcons on y S351R and I love them. I would guess that the Bear brake system through Shelby would be about the same. As I was only directly toward this option by a fellow member from another board, I don´t exactly what it includes or the technical specs.

Can anyone guide me towards this info? This is what I have for now.

My friend, I am not exactly certain what specific information you are requesting about the equipment listed below, but I can offer my personal experience and knowledge about most of the listed items because I have them installed on my SGT. My obersvations/comments are in red below...

Available Installed Options for a 2008 Shelby GT

Paxton Super Charger(Satin) $6,195.00

Paxton Super Charger(Polished) $6,395.00

Other than one being polished and the other not, both superchargers make 462 H.P. at the rear wheels.

Ford Racing/Whipple Supercharger $7,480.00

Ford Racing/Whipple Supercharger(Polished) $7,850.00

A very good supercharger, but Ford Racing could not SAFELY get more than 400 H.P. out of the 4.6 engine with it, and that's why I went with the polished Paxton.

Shelby/ BAER Big Brakes $2,400.00

Shelby/ BAER EXTREME Brakes $4,200.00

As stated before, the Baer/Shelby brake system is outstanding. The Baer Extreme brake set up has a six piston caliper and is designated for the GT500; although you could install them on a SGT. But the $2,400.00 system is so good, I personally wouldn't spend the extra $2,000.00+ dollars unless you plan to autocross or road race your car.

20" Shelby Razors w/Tires $2,175.00

A very popular wheel and tire combination for the late model Mustangs and Shelby's. I personally don't care for them, so I went with American Racing's "GT40" three piece wheel which are signficantly more expensive than the Razors.

Shelby Brake Duct Kit 499.00

A really nice set up. Carbon Fiber ducts. The fronts take the air from the lower grill, and the rears are mounted below and just forward of the lower control arms.

Shelby Gauges (S/C cars) $1,087.00

Shelby Gauges (non S/C cars) $980.00

Really, really nice gages and pod, but I think that you have the prices reversed. The S/C gage pod is more expensive than the non-S/C pod. Believe it or not, of all the mods that I have done, the gage pods gets the most positive reaction from anyone who sees it.

Lower Grille w/Driving lights $425.00

A great addition to the car that really enhances the look of the car, especally if you add the front brake ducts. IMO, the lower grille and lights make the front of the car more agressive looking.

Sequential Tail Lights $249.00

A very cool "retro" addition to the car, and another mod that I get lots of positive comments about.

GT Spoiler $499.00

A nice looking spoiler, but I personally perfer the GT500 spoiler over it, and that's what I installed on my SGT.

Billet Fluid Caps $310.00

The caps add a nice "bling" to the engine compartment.

CS Grille w/Driving Lights $575.00

I love the grille, but don't care for the driving lamps.

GT-H/ CS Hood $1,599.00

The #1 best mod that I did for the car. IMO, that hood changes the look of the car significantly for the better. A beautiful design that is radically better than the stock hood with the AC Cobra hood scoop.

Thank you

You're welcome, and I hope that my comments/information helps.

Anyone done this $2400 Shelby/Bear brake upgrade? What do you think of it?

Thanks

Anders

This is a must if you SC the car. As listed above 2 options from SAI. Either one would work for you. I went with the extreem kit due to how I intend on utilizing the car. Both offer superior to stock performance.

Can anyone explain the specific differences between the Baer Big brake and Extreme brake setups. If anyone could post close up pics of both that woul also me much appreciated.

Thank you

Anders

Here is the link to the Extreme Plus set up: http://www.baer.com/products/complete/extreme.php

Here is the link to the GT and GT Plus set up. This is what SAI calls the Big Brake set up: http://www.baer.com/products/complete/gt.php

Here is the link to the Extreme Plus set up: http://www.baer.com/products/complete/extreme.php

Here is the link to the GT and GT Plus set up. This is what SAI calls the Big Brake set up: http://www.baer.com/products/complete/gt.php

Thank you.

Anyone know the exact size used? Am I wrong when I say that the Baer Plus GT setup is similar to what the old generation Cobra Mustang had? What is it with the Shelby calipers since a 20 inch wheel is necessary? Most other bares seem to fit as long as the wheel is 17 or 18 inch.

Anders

Can anyone explain the specific differences between the Baer Big brake and Extreme brake setups. If anyone could post close up pics of both that woul also me much appreciated.

Thank you

Anders

The Shelby/Baer Extreme system which I'm sure is Baer's 14" 6S 6-piston with slotted and cross-drilled rotors is the best brake system hands down. I installed this setup when Baer first released it on my 2000 Saleen 281SC Conv. and holy :censored: , if you don't have your seatbelts on when you hit the brakes hard :banghead: your head is bouncing on the window! Great brakes!

The Shelby/Baer Extreme system which I'm sure is Baer's 14" 6S 6-piston with slotted and cross-drilled rotors is the best brake system hands down. I installed this setup when Baer first released it on my 2000 Saleen 281SC Conv. and holy :censored: , if you don't have your seatbelts on when you hit the brakes hard :banghead: your head is bouncing on the window! Great brakes!

Yes they are!

Thank you

Anders

Anders,

Here are some pics on the cars 6piston on the top

Roger13.jpg

47b7db36b3127cce985482dd41320000002.jpg

Just in case you didn't notice, the Big Baer is the 4 piston caliper in the bottom photo. I think the rotors are the same so the difference is the 6 piston in the Extreme Baer vs 4 piston in the Big Baer. In addition to the number of pistons, the way the calipers are made is different according to the Baer web site.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, for those of us who just cannot live with 20" wheels, is anyone aware of items out there that can improve our stock, two piston, calipers? I have located cross drilled and slotted rotors that what we need is a way to increase swwept area without having to resort to the bigger wheels. We may be SOL but I thought I would inquire of the people who, as a group, have more knowledge than anyone else I can think of. Thanks. Jim

At the risk of hijacking the thread, for those of us who just cannot live with 20" wheels, is anyone aware of items out there that can improve our stock, two piston, calipers? I have located cross drilled and slotted rotors that what we need is a way to increase swwept area without having to resort to the bigger wheels. We may be SOL but I thought I would inquire of the people who, as a group, have more knowledge than anyone else I can think of. Thanks. Jim

I think that a set of Hawk pads and braided lines might make a good difference but I haven't tried it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, but I've got to be nosey here. I'm on the list to send my SGT back to SAI for the SC upgrade and I've thought about changing the hood. Mine is also performance white - would you be willing to share a picture?

Thanks!!!

I think that a set of Hawk pads and braided lines might make a good difference but I haven't tried it yet.

I was up at SAI today and talked with John Walker about the brake issue. I asked him every question that could be asked and the bottom line is that the Big Brake package will not fit on 18" wheels. His suggestion, to maximize the stock brakes is to do the following: drilled and slotted rotors, braided brake lines and a set of sticky Hawk pads (sticky to the point of who cares how long they last - at least to answer my question which was which Hawk pads to use on a garage queen). I have resolved to do just that. You know how it works -- as soon as I spend the money to do this deal, the next day there will be a solution allowing use of the Big Brake package on 18" wheels. :lol: It's the least I can do for everyone. ;) Jim

Tire rack has several 18" wheels that show to fit on the GT500 over the Brembo brakes. I don't think the Basic Baer kit is any bigger then the Brembos. The hitch is they are not Shelby in any way. The winter catalog from shelbyperformanceparts.com shows a new 18" wheel, S1, that also says it will fit on the GT500. It is not due until Feb which means probably May.

Sorry, but I've got to be nosey here. I'm on the list to send my SGT back to SAI for the SC upgrade and I've thought about changing the hood. Mine is also performance white - would you be willing to share a picture?

Thanks!!!

Sure, my pleasure! How about five pictures.

th_20070516015.jpg

th_20070516016.jpg

th_20070516009.jpg

th_20070516019.jpg

th_20070516003.jpg

I think that the hood gives the front end of the car more of a "shark" look. BTW the car looks just a little different now. The wheels on it are the same, but have silver centers instead of Gunmetal (the wheels in the photos went on my 500), and it also has a GT 500 deck spoiler on it. I have to get out and take some current photos.

Are you going with the Wipple or the Paxton?

I'm wrestling with the choice (Whipple or Paxton)

I was leaning toward Whipple for performance reasons (low end - so I'm told). My driving preference is for road course - not drag and for street drivability (not daily but weekend etc)

The whipple requires losing the brace and modifying the underside of the GT-H hood :(

How do you like the Paxton? How do you drive the car?

I was going with the extreme brakes. I agree with you, they are probably overkill but since I'm shipping / driving from Atlanta, I only want to make the trip once. Well, OK, I'd like to make the trip more often but won't.

BTW: GREAT pics - Beautiful Car - THANKS!

I was leaning toward Whipple for performance reasons (low end - so I'm told). My driving preference is for road course - not drag and for street drivability (not daily but weekend etc)

The whipple requires losing the brace and modifying the underside of the GT-H hood :(

When I was at SAI yesterday, I also talked with John Walker about the Paxton/Whipple issue. I have struggled with that choice myself but resolved to go with the Paxton (my car goes to the Mod Shop January 14, 2008). I, too, am not much into the drag racing end of things (I sure was in the 60's) at this point but am into learning how to run road courses. That said, the Paxton appears to be the set up for that for a couple of reasons. First, the rpm range for road course driving is the prime rpm range for the Paxton (so I am told). Second, the Paxton sits lower on the car and offers a slightly lower center of gravity because of that. Third, you do not lose the brace which, in road course driving you need (I am told) because of the side to side load change with the curves. Fourth, is that I think the Paxton (IMHO) will look best on my car. I got a private tour of the place and was able to view the Paxton set up under the GT-H/CS hood you are considering. There is no modification to the hood required if you choose the Paxton. You already know about what is needed if you choose the Whipple. After viewing all the cars I did yesterday and, in particular, how the stock hood and the GT-H/CS hood look on our cars, I confess I have resolved to leave the stock hood alone. I am in San Diego so if I change my mind, I can send my car back anytime I want with minimal hassle. As you have said, you have only one shot at this. The best news is that the folks who chose the Whipple seem to love it and those who chose the Paxton seem to love it. Nice problem to have, huh? Good luck with your selections. Jim

I was going with the extreme brakes. I agree with you, they are probably overkill but since I'm shipping / driving from Atlanta, I only want to make the trip once. Well, OK, I'd like to make the trip more often but won't.

BTW: GREAT pics - Beautiful Car - THANKS!

You're quite welcome, and thank you. I love the Paxton, and don't be fooled, the difference in low end response between the two blowers is not all that significant and you would really be pressed to notice any difference during daily or weekend driving. And as far as road racing is concerned, the Wipple won't provide any more push out of a turn or down the straightaway than the Paxton because under those conditions, the Paxton is already wound up and under pressure. Carroll campaigned his R model GT350's in Riverside back in the 60's, and all of the cars that had Paxton's on them performed very well.

And if your were to drag race two identical mustangs, identical other than one is equipped with a Paxton and the other a Wipple, while the Wipple equipped car would launch faster, the Paxton car would make up the loss in a matter of feet, and in the end would have an advantage over the Wipple down the track because the centrifugal pump doesn't drop as much R.P.M's in between shifts like a screw type blower does. Additionally, Gale Banks, the P.H.D of turbos, says that it takes less H.P. to spin a centrifugal blower than it does to spin a screw type.

The other, but not as important reason I decided to go with the Paxton is the historical relationship that Shelby has had with them for the past 40 years or so, and because I liked the idea of having the Shelby/Paxton S/N plate that is affixed to the blower housing. I don't know if the Wipple gets one of those or not, but I think that having it adds a little more providence to the car. Oh, I also didn't like the idea of having to modify the hood and take out the export brace in order to install the Wipple, but that's just me.

How do I drive the car? Well, the car pictured has an automatic in it, so I use it more for long leisurely weekend drives that are punctuated by periods of hauling ass down isolated, two lane blacktops and down twisty canyon roads. And because it has the automatic, the car is a formidable drag racer, so I occasionally take it out to Friday night "run what ya brung" nights too.

As far as the extreme brakes are concerned, I think that they are wonderful, but I made a conscious decision not to go with them because the "base" Shelby/Baer brakes work so F'in well for $2,000 dollars less, and because I knew that my 500 would have the extreme brakes installed on it during the SS conversion, and my 500 is the car that I prefer to Autocross because of the manual transmission.

You have made a great decision to have your car modded through SAI, but now it's just a matter of deciding which blower to install on it. I hope my opinions and insight on the matter helps you make a decision on which way to go.

Good luck!

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the info/opinions - very helpful! I think I will go with the Paxton. Great point that everyone seems to be very happy with whichever one they have. I'm sure that driving at my level I won't ever know the difference and I'll reach my limit way before reaching the cars.

I just jumped on the mod list about two weeks ago. Bud said that I was 10ish and he'd start calling to schedule in January. That will give me time to decide on hood brakes etc....

Sorry for stealing the thread.

Ralph

I was up at SAI today and talked with John Walker about the brake issue. I asked him every question that could be asked and the bottom line is that the Big Brake package will not fit on 18" wheels. His suggestion, to maximize the stock brakes is to do the following: drilled and slotted rotors, braided brake lines and a set of sticky Hawk pads (sticky to the point of who cares how long they last - at least to answer my question which was which Hawk pads to use on a garage queen). I have resolved to do just that. You know how it works -- as soon as I spend the money to do this deal, the next day there will be a solution allowing use of the Big Brake package on 18" wheels. :lol: It's the least I can do for everyone. ;) Jim

He is wrong or the 18" wheel you are using has a flaw in the design! I have the 14" Baer 6S 6-piston brake on the front of my 00 Saleen with 18x9 wheels and they fit like a glove! :hysterical2:

He is wrong or the 18" wheel you are using has a flaw in the design! I have the 14" Baer 6S 6-piston brake on the front of my 00 Saleen with 18x9 wheels and they fit like a glove! :hysterical2:

Ok, lets see some picks and what is the offset :waiting:

You're quite welcome, and thank you. I love the Paxton, and don't be fooled, the difference in low end response between the two blowers is not all that significant and you would really be pressed to notice any difference during daily or weekend driving. And as far as road racing is concerned, the Wipple won't provide any more push out of a turn or down the straightaway than the Paxton because under those conditions, the Paxton is already wound up and under pressure. Carroll campaigned his R model GT350's in Riverside back in the 60's, and all of the cars that had Paxton's on them performed very well.

And if your were to drag race two identical mustangs, identical other than one is equipped with a Paxton and the other a Wipple, while the Wipple equipped car would launch faster, the Paxton car would make up the loss in a matter of feet, and in the end would have an advantage over the Wipple down the track because the centrifugal pump doesn't drop as much R.P.M's in between shifts like a screw type blower does. Additionally, Gale Banks, the P.H.D of turbos, says that it takes less H.P. to spin a centrifugal blower than it does to spin a screw type.

The other, but not as important reason I decided to go with the Paxton is the historical relationship that Shelby has had with them for the past 40 years or so, and because I liked the idea of having the Shelby/Paxton S/N plate that is affixed to the blower housing. I don't know if the Wipple gets one of those or not, but I think that having it adds a little more providence to the car. Oh, I also didn't like the idea of having to modify the hood and take out the export brace in order to install the Wipple, but that's just me.

How do I drive the car? Well, the car pictured has an automatic in it, so I use it more for long leisurely weekend drives that are punctuated by periods of hauling ass down isolated, two lane blacktops and down twisty canyon roads. And because it has the automatic, the car is a formidable drag racer, so I occasionally take it out to Friday night "run what ya brung" nights too.

As far as the extreme brakes are concerned, I think that they are wonderful, but I made a conscious decision not to go with them because the "base" Shelby/Baer brakes work so F'in well for $2,000 dollars less, and because I knew that my 500 would have the extreme brakes installed on it during the SS conversion, and my 500 is the car that I prefer to Autocross because of the manual transmission.

You have made a great decision to have your car modded through SAI, but now it's just a matter of deciding which blower to install on it. I hope my opinions and insight on the matter helps you make a decision on which way to go.

Good luck!

You should send this information to virtually all the manufacturers out there. They obviously haven't read your phd's work as virtually no one puts Centrifugals in new cars. What a bunch of bone heads they are not seeing they obvious and inherent benefits of a long boost ramp :).

Archived