TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Looking for review of SGT whipple upgrade

At that price I'm assuming it is polished. I have a matte black finished Whipple. It includes the HO option with the intercooler and complete installation. That is if your refering to the price as installed at Shelby. They are producing approximately 465 RWHP with a mild tune and have produced up to and a little above 500 RWHP with some tweaking of the program. You do run into issues at or around that 475 and up range. Clutch, etc. Boost is instantanious vs. the Paxton. Other have the Paxton and could provide you specific feedback on that SC. Good luck in your choice.

Can anyone direct me towards the specific Shelby GT upgrade packages. The HO kit almost sounds to a bit much for a summer dailer driver :)

Edit: I typed in the wrong price. $7480 should be for the satin version. Anyone know if the non IC version is available. Trying to keep everything as stock looking as possible to keep inspection problems to a minimum here in Denmark

Hot Rod magazine just did one about a month ago. They take a Mustang and put the FRPP handling pack, Drag pack and Whipple on one. They ran 11.8's with minimal effort with drag radials. Its the one that did a Charger, GTO and Mustang hop up. Pretty good article, I installed the Whipple in my car and I can say the kit is first rate, it goes together like an OEM kit. The blower is largely silent at idle and driving around, the only time you hear it is when you are standing on it. It makes great tracktable HP right off the bottom and increases the fun factor a bunch. I couldn't be happier honestly.

What is included in the $7480 whipple supercharger upgrade? What kind of tuning is done to the setup? What kind of numbers do they produce?

Thank you

Anders

anders you have came to the right place to ask those questions. Roger KNOWS everything!!!!

i hope your feeling better Roger. i havent talked to ya in a few days. try to call you tomorrow.

michael morris

Great questions. Do some searches on this and the SAI forums. The Whipple is dialing in at around 424 RWHP stock from SAI or about 498 HP. With a little tuning you can easily get about 464 or more RWHP as Roger mentioned which comes out to about 545 HP at the engine. As 2666 mentioned, as a dailer driver, you can go all day without using the Whipple if you really wanted (and had the strength to hold back). I have a dyno sheet in my sig for a tuned Whipple. Later, Tasca got even more but the clutch gave way so they dialed it back to around 436 RWHP or 513 engine HP which is where it sits now until I have them put a double clutch in.

Great questions. Do some searches on this and the SAI forums. The Whipple is dialing in at around 424 RWHP stock from SAI or about 498 HP. With a little tuning you can easily get about 464 or more RWHP as Roger mentioned which comes out to about 545 HP at the engine. As 2666 mentioned, as a dailer driver, you can go all day without using the Whipple if you really wanted (and had the strength to hold back). I have a dyno sheet in my sig for a tuned Whipple. Later, Tasca got even more but the clutch gave way so they dialed it back to around 436 RWHP or 513 engine HP which is where it sits now until I have them put a double clutch in.

WOW going double clutch? Did your clutch grenade under power or doing dead stops? I was thinking a centerforce extreme rated for 700-800hp. Do you know something I don't?

Thank you for the reply.

My car will serve as a "nice weather daily driver" (actually replacing my 7K mile Saleen Cobra speedster). Reliability and to some extend fuel economy (did I really say that :hysterical2: ) is very important. I don´t know much about these new motors, but would it still be perfectly reliable with the 424 RWHP upgrade?

You say that I can go all day without using the whipple. Does it mean that it will only kick in when I step on the throttle like a centrifugal SC or what? I thought the whipple as it is directly linked to the crankpulley, would make boost even down low - and thereofre also would stress the engine & consume more fuel?? Am I wrong here?

Would the Paxton be better for my application?

I have a Vortech on my Saleen Cobra (dealer installed by Anderseon Ford before first registration) and with that setup I can cruise around below 3K rpm without getting into boost.

(The car that is going on is CSM08SGT0064)

Thanks

Anders

WOW going double clutch? Did your clutch grenade under power or doing dead stops? I was thinking a centerforce extreme rated for 700-800hp. Do you know something I don't?

It was while on the dyno. I knew these clutches couldn't handle the load, I just wanted to see how long I could get away with not replacing it. I will get a double clutch in the springtime. I had already spoken with Tasca months ago (long before I got the car) about a new clutch. I will know more about what they are quoting for a clutch tonight when I pick up the car.

Thank you for the reply.

My car will serve as a "nice weather daily driver" (actually replacing my 7K mile Saleen Cobra speedster). Reliability and to some extend fuel economy (did I really say that :hysterical2: ) is very important. I don´t know much about these new motors, but would it still be perfectly reliable with the 424 RWHP upgrade?

You say that I can go all day without using the whipple. Does it mean that it will only kick in when I step on the throttle like a centrifugal SC or what? I thought the whipple as it is directly linked to the crankpulley, would make boost even down low - and thereofre also would stress the engine & consume more fuel?? Am I wrong here?

I have a Vortech on my Saleen Cobra (dealer installed by Anderseon Ford before first registration) and with that setup I can cruise around below 3K rpm without getting into boost.

Thanks

Anders

It doesn't kick in right away unless you floor the pedal.

If at a idle position, you floor the gas, the Whipple will kick in right away. I think the centrifical S/C's still lags until about 3000 RPM (from what I've heard).

However, if you're at idle and just step on the gas, such as normal driving (maybe up to half way on the pedal), the Whipple won't kick in (well maybe it does technically - I don't know - but the boost gauge doesn't move) and you'll be like driving normally aspirated.

There are a lot of posts on this subject on both this and the SAI forums (and others). Many have commented on the subject so I think it would give you a lot of info if you searched for supercharger, paxton or whipple. I guess I'm trying to say (don't want to come off as sounding arrogant) that some have suggested that because of the flatter Whipple curve, it is better, but many prefer the Paxton since it is Shelby badged (now that I think of it, I will email Dustin Whipple and ask him if there are any plans for him to badge the Whipple with a Shelby logo since I owe him an email anyway). I think either one can be tuned or adjusted (ie pulleys) to get even more HP out of them. I think I read that Louie might have gotten more HP out of the Paxton that with the Whipple but I could be wrong.

When I get my car tonight, hopefully I will have another few dyno sheets to post. I think the dyno that they were doing when the clutch slipped was coming in over 550 engine HP before it flatlined.

it kicks in based on vacuum, I believe its +1 or -1 and it will close the bypass. If you run the piss out of the car I'm sure the extra HP will be a detrement to longevity but if you drive like I think most of us do standing on it now and then, then I think it will have little effect on the longevity of your motor. One of the wonderful things about the blower is that there is almost no effect on gas mileage ( as long as you keep your foot out of it :) ). I really like the blower solution for those very reasons running most of the time in bypass having no real effect on mileage and not stressing the motor, unlike the conventional build. That and the explosive power they make when you want to :)

Thank you for the reply.

Thanks

Anders

Anders,

PM sent.

Roger

It was while on the dyno. I knew these clutches couldn't handle the load, I just wanted to see how long I could get away with not replacing it. I will get a double clutch in the springtime. I had already spoken with Tasca months ago (long before I got the car) about a new clutch. I will know more about what they are quoting for a clutch tonight when I pick up the car.

We can fix this problem with a "Forged" bottom end buddy! :hysterical:

Anders - They are both "hooked" to the crank the same way - the serpentine belt drive. The difference in the response is due to the way the two designs make boost. The Whipple is a twin screw supercharger which is a positive displacement type. Every time the two screws mesh and revolve, it displaces a fixed volume of air into the manifold. Spinning it faster just makes it displace that much more air but it is directly proportional to the RPM (if we ignore a few other minor changes).

The centrifugal on the other hand works like a compressor fan. At low RPMs it isn't as efficient due to the way it pushes air into the discharge tube. As the RPMs rise, it pushes exponentially more air into the discharge tube. This exponential rise in boost is what gives it a "lag" effect.

OK I'll bite at the risk of looking dumb, but what is a double clutch? I have heard of double clutching but is the clutch a dual disk clutch? Don't they usually take a really hard leg pressure on the clutch and only for racing?

OK I'll bite at the risk of looking dumb, but what is a double clutch? I have heard of double clutching but is the clutch a dual disk clutch? Don't they usually take a really hard leg pressure on the clutch and only for racing?

They are a dual disk setup and the ones I've drivien had a pretty manly pedal :hysterical: I've only been around one though so i can't say if thats characteristic of them all. When Hot Rod magazine did they'res they said they got 3 launches out of it before the OEM clutch went south.

I've been trying to figure out what I'm going to install in mine. Do any of you tuners out there have a strong opinion about a brand or style of clutch?

• 6 months later...
They are a dual disk setup and the ones I've drivien had a pretty manly pedal :hysterical: I've only been around one though so i can't say if thats characteristic of them all. When Hot Rod magazine did they'res they said they got 3 launches out of it before the OEM clutch went south.

I've been trying to figure out what I'm going to install in mine. Do any of you tuners out there have a strong opinion about a brand or style of clutch?

Did you ever get any suggestions on what clutch to install? Also, your last post on this was in November, is your clutch still alive or did you have to replace it? I am getting a HO Whipple here in the next month or so and wonder if I will be needing a clutch sooner than later. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Did you ever get any suggestions on what clutch to install? Also, your last post on this was in November, is your clutch still alive or did you have to replace it? I am getting a HO Whipple here in the next month or so and wonder if I will be needing a clutch sooner than later. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Every time I see your car I get more motivated to install my Wheels (Same as yours) that are sitting in my garage. I am going to have to make some phone calls this week for tires and mounting as well as Tire Pressure Monitors with bands.

Every time I see your car I get more motivated to install my Wheels (Same as yours) that are sitting in my garage. I am going to have to make some phone calls this week for tires and mounting as well as Tire Pressure Monitors with bands.

Thanks,you won't be able to stop looking at your car even more once there on. I already thought the SGT was a fantastic looking car with the stock 18s but once you get the CS69s on it just makes it that much better, in my humble opinion. I still think that the stock wheels look great but there is just something about custom wheels and tires that makes a car. Also, the owner, Steve, at Tampa Bay Shelby raced the 20, CS69s on his Paxton supercharged CS8 Shelby at Sebring about a month ago. His opinion was that they were great wheels and were able to hold up to the abuse that high speed passes on a good bumpy track like Sebring could throw at them. That's a pretty good endorsement for the quality of the wheel. Get them bad boys on as soon as you can. You won't regret it one bit.

Archived