TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How do you Cook your Thanksgiving Day Turkey?

How do you cook your Thanksgiving Day Turkey?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Oven or Deep Fry?

• Oven
    • Deep Fry
    • Open Fire
    • Microwave
    • Wrapped in Aluminum Foil Under the Hood ,Sitting on the Super Charger while driving around in the Shelby
    • Who goes out & lets someone else cook it up?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's sliced like a roast. so your portion looks kinda like a penwheel with the different layers of meats.

Me got no wifey poo to cook for me :cry: ..... of course...remembering back, my ex-wife's gravy could stick just about any 2 items together for eternity, it worked with her and my best friend, but then again, he hasn't run out of money yet. :hysterical2:

Sorry, man. I've been there twice before. I lived alone here for 2 1/2 years before meeting my wife. It's just a matter of time.

• 11 months later...

Here is the best way, on the BBQ

Get a cooking syringe and inject 1/2 butter under the skin of each turkey

Make a traditional stuffing but add sausage meat to the stuffing for extra flavour

Place aluminum pans on the burner and under the grates and keep adding water to the pans for an indirect heat

Keep the heat at about 350 degrees and baste every 20 minutes

keep them covered for the 1st 3-4 hours and when the breast gets to 165 and stuffing is 150 it is ready

It is the best tasting and and moistest for exceptional flavour

HPIM6558.jpg

Here is the best way, on the BBQ

Get a cooking syringe and inject 1/2 butter under the skin of each turkey

Make a traditional stuffing but add sausage meat to the stuffing for extra flavour

Place aluminum pans on the burner and under the grates and keep adding water to the pans for an indirect heat

Keep the heat at about 350 degrees and baste every 20 minutes

keep them covered for the 1st 3-4 hours and when the breast gets to 165 and stuffing is 150 it is ready

It is the best tasting and and moistest for exceptional flavour

HPIM6558.jpg

I have done it that way but no sausage sounds interesting have to try that. Oh I always add beer to the pan & bast often

Guest markham51

Turkey time again. We brine our turkey which adds much needed moisture and flavour and Oven roast or BBQ it depending on my mood.

The last tme I cooked a turkey.....

One oven cooked (usually 25-45 pounds) by my wife, one deep fried by me outside (usually 10-12 pounds).

I use a vegetable oil I get at Costco. I do not use peanut oil because one of my nephews who joins us for Thanksgiving is deathly allergic to peanuts.

Did you ever see the TV Show ...... WKRP in Cincinnati?

I like the episode when Les Nessman gives out Turkeys for their Radio promotional and takes them all up in a Helicopter & throws them out one by one not realizing that Turkeys don’t fly & they drop to their death in the middle of a crowd below?

Now that was a priceless monument in time!

:hysterical2:

:hysterical: One of my favorites!!

[edit] "Turkeys Away" (10/30/78)

This episode was named by TV Guide as the 40th greatest in TV history.

Arthur Carlson, feeling left out of the everyday station business, decides that he wants to get more involved. He goes around asking all the staff if anybody needs any help. In one memorable scene, he goes into the DJ booth while Johnny is on the air listening to the song "Dogs" by Pink Floyd. Carlson finds out it is a Pink Floyd song and wonders what "Pigs on the Wing" sounds like, to which Johnny replies, "I don't do requests."

:hysterical:

Without informing anybody, Carlson decides to stage his own promotion for Thanksgiving: dropping twenty-five live turkeys from a helicopter to unsuspecting shoppers below. The scene is reported live on the air by news director Les Nessman, breathlessly describing the unseen flightless birds plummeting to the ground, in a parody of Herbert Morrison's famous coverage of the Hindenburg disaster: "It's a helicopter, and it's coming this way. It's flying something behind it, I can't quite make it out, it's a large banner and it says, uh - Happy... Thaaaaanksss... giving! ... From ... W ... K ... R... P!! No parachutes yet. Can't be skydivers... I can't tell just yet what they are, but - Oh my God, they're turkeys!! Johnny, can you get this? Oh, they're plunging to the earth right in front of our eyes! One just went through the windshield of a parked car! Oh, the humanity! The turkeys are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement! Not since the Hindenburg tragedy has there been anything like this!" Afterwards, the shaken Carlson explains, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Here's what we do at Oshkosh. I know it isn't Thanksgiving then but here goes;

We place the Turkey in an aluminum roasting pan.

Pour about 5cm (2 inches) of Seven Up in the roasting pan.

Place pan in BBQ.

Cook on a medium-high flame for a few hours depending on the weight of the bird.

Check internal temperature or use one of those pop-up thermometers.

Meat is tender, juicy and sweet. Absorbs some of the sugar, sort of caramelizes.

Pour 1.5 oz's of Rum in glass. Fill with Seven Up. Empty. Pour 1.5 oz's of Rum in glass. Fill with Seven Up. Empty. Repeat untill turkey is ready. :happy feet:

Here's what we do at Oshkosh. I know it isn't Thanksgiving then but here goes;

We place the Turkey in an aluminum roasting pan.

Pour about 5cm (2 inches) of Seven Up in the roasting pan.

Place pan in BBQ.

Cook on a medium-high flame for a few hours depending on the weight of the bird.

Check internal temperature or use one of those pop-up thermometers.

Meat is tender, juicy and sweet. Absorbs some of the sugar, sort of caramelizes.

Pour 1.5 oz's of Rum in glass. Fill with Seven Up. Empty. Pour 1.5 oz's of Rum in glass. Fill with Seven Up. Empty. Repeat untill turkey is ready. :happy feet:

:hysterical: One of my favorites!!

[edit] "Turkeys Away" (10/30/78)

This episode was named by TV Guide as the 40th greatest in TV history.

Arthur Carlson, feeling left out of the everyday station business, decides that he wants to get more involved. He goes around asking all the staff if anybody needs any help. In one memorable scene, he goes into the DJ booth while Johnny is on the air listening to the song "Dogs" by Pink Floyd. Carlson finds out it is a Pink Floyd song and wonders what "Pigs on the Wing" sounds like, to which Johnny replies, "I don't do requests."

Without informing anybody, Carlson decides to stage his own promotion for Thanksgiving: dropping twenty-five live turkeys from a helicopter to unsuspecting shoppers below. The scene is reported live on the air by news director Les Nessman, breathlessly describing the unseen flightless birds plummeting to the ground, in a parody of Herbert Morrison's famous coverage of the Hindenburg disaster: "It's a helicopter, and it's coming this way. It's flying something behind it, I can't quite make it out, it's a large banner and it says, uh - Happy... Thaaaaanksss... giving! ... From ... W ... K ... R... P!! No parachutes yet. Can't be skydivers... I can't tell just yet what they are, but - Oh my God, they're turkeys!! Johnny, can you get this? Oh, they're plunging to the earth right in front of our eyes! One just went through the windshield of a parked car! Oh, the humanity! The turkeys are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement! Not since the Hindenburg tragedy has there been anything like this!" Afterwards, the shaken Carlson explains, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Absolutely one of the funniest TV episodes ever. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when the writers cooked this one up. In fact, I wonder who the writers were for this episode? TV.COM probably has the answer.

• 3 weeks later...

For Christmass, we are (my Sibs) going in together and getting our Folks a BIG RED Infared Turkey Fryer (uses no Oil to Deep Fry a Turkey). Should be able to do most other Meats to. Home Depot sells them now.

David.

We swear by the cooking bag and a bird with a tender timer at my house. My wife is a department head for a Wal-Mart and always has to work on Thanksgiving Day :( It is up to me do the cooking. I know it isn't in a guy's nature to read the bag instructions but follow them. In 6 years I have never had a bad one. :yup:

My wife's Wal-Mart is having food for the employees the day before Thanksgiving. It is only fitting that they are frying turkeys on the loading dock. Nothing says Thanksgiving like a meal on a loading dock. Last year it got out of hand and they broke out the :extinguish:. Hopefully this year this will go well.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL

Erik

07SGT2940

Archived