TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How do you Cook your Thanksgiving Day Turkey?

How do you cook your Thanksgiving Day Turkey?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Oven or Deep Fry?

• Oven
    • Deep Fry
    • Open Fire
    • Microwave
    • Wrapped in Aluminum Foil Under the Hood ,Sitting on the Super Charger while driving around in the Shelby
    • Who goes out & lets someone else cook it up?

I double dare you!

I TRIPLE dare you!

C'mon OrangeBoy!!!!

:happy feet: GO ORANGEBOY! :happy feet: GO ORANGEBOY! :happy feet: GO ORANGEBOY! :happy feet:

Sowy F-150Dude. I can't spoil a good thing.

Today she called me at work to just say Hi :wub: and in closing I said see ya soon Peaches.....and then she said :

OK......Cream. :hysterical2: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've been deep frying for about 4 years now. Honestly, I don't think I'll ever go back to an over turkey. Here's why:

1) One hour versus six

2) The turkey is extremely moist

3) Standing around the turkey cooker has become a tradition (sounds lame, but true)

4) I *love* grease

Seriously, nothing compares to a deep fried turkey.

Today she called me at work to just say Hi :wub: and in closing I said see ya soon Peaches.....and then she said :

OK......Cream. :hysterical2: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Did you at least tell her that I was the one who first called her "Peaches"???

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Except perhaps a barbecued turkey slowly smoked over a pecan wood fire for about 6 hours until the skin is a smokey sweet mahogany (sorry, can't help it, I'm a Texican) :happy feet:

Now this sounds the best thus far! I agree with a slow cook method. I have always oven roasted, but I have also had the deep fry in peanut oil, pretty cool. However, I say it is like anything else, whenever time and patience is used toward a solution, the effecting results are always better. Quick, fry, but perfection, I would chose this method to try! Just my .02

When I am actually in the country for Thanksgiving... I usually do a Tur-Duc-Hen with Crawfish Cornbread Stuffing (not dressing).

For those of you that haven't lived...a Tur-Duc-Hen is a semi-boned turkey that is stuffed with a boned duck and that is stuffed with a free range hen, then stuffed with the Crawfish Cornbread Stuffing.

You slice it sideways where you get all of it. It's fabulous.

You can find and order good Tur-Duc-Hens online, but the stuffing is pretty easy to make.

Give a whirl sometime.

Crawfish ~ Cornbread Stuffing

Recipe By :Bayou Sam's Cajun Grill

Categories : Breads Cheese/Eggs

Chicken Dressings

Game Mushrooms

Poultry Salads And Dressings

Side Dish Thnksgiving

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

2 tablespoons butter

4 ounces crawfish tail meat -- drained and chopped

3/4 cup celery -- chopped

1/4 cup Onion, Sweet -- chopped

1 cup mushrooms -- sliced 1/4" thick and chopped

2 cups Bayou Sam's Sweet Green Chili Cornbread -- coarse chunks

2 cups Orawheat Oatnut Bread (4 slices) -- toasted, chunked

2 medium eggs -- beaten slightly

1 large egg, hard-boiled -- chopped

4 cups Basic Chicken Stock -- divided

1/2 teaspoon gumbo file

To Taste Salt and pepper

To Taste ground sage

To Taste poultry seasoning

Melt butter over medium heat. Saute the chopped mushroom slices about 2 minutes, add the celery & onion until crisp tender, about 5 minutes, next add crawfish tail meat. Saute another 2 minutes. (If excessive butter remains, drain off.)

Combine saute mixture, crumbled cornbread, toast crumbs and beaten eggs with hands.

VERY CAREFULLY. Add salt and pepper (won't need much, if any salt). Add very small amounts of sage and poultry seasoning and taste. (ADDING TOO MUCH SAGE WILL RESULT IN A VERY BITTER STUFFING!)

Add chicken broth a cup at a time, blend with hands, and keep adding until your stuffing becomes moist and pasty.

Add the chopped boiled eggs in fairly big chunks and work into the dressing.

For dressing, mixture may be placed in small Pyrex baking dish and baked at 350 until top and sides are golden brown. Or may be placed in game hen and roasted according to poultry's recipe. Make sure hen is close to room temperature before stuffing and cooking.

Author: Bayou Sam's Cajun Grill

Source: "MissBeHavinsHaven.com"

Copyright: "1985"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you can keep from eating all the cornbread before you start...this is a good recipe as well.

Bayou Sam's Sweet Green Chili Cornbread

Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:40

Categories : Breads Cajun Creole

1 package Betty Crocker Golden Corn Bread Mix

2 teaspoons sugar or Splenda (baking)

1/2 can creamed corn

2 tablespoons diced green chiles

1/4 teaspoon Bayou Sam's Triple Blast

Mix according to Muffin recipe and add sugar, corn, green chilis and Triple Blast, being sure to let stand a few minutes before pouring up to cook.

Cook according to mix, preferably in heated cast iron and add a couple of minutes to cooking time.

You can sub a little Tony's Creole seasoning for the Triple Blast.

Description: "A Southern Sweet Cornbread That Is Sure To Please."

Source: "Miss BeHavin's Haven 1999"

Copyright: "1999"

When I am actually in the country for Thanksgiving... I usually do a Tur-Duc-Hen with Crawfish Cornbread Stuffing (not dressing).

For those of you that haven't lived...a Tur-Duc-Hen is a semi-boned turkey that is stuffed with a boned duck and that is stuffed with a free range hen, then stuffed with the Crawfish Cornbread Stuffing.

You can find and order good Tur-Duc-Hens online, but the stuffing is pretty easy to make.

Give a whirl sometime.

Chicken Dressings

Game Mushrooms

Side Dish Thnksgiving

2 tablespoons butter

1/2 teaspoon gumbo file

To Taste Salt and pepper

To Taste ground sage

Melt butter over medium heat. Saute the chopped mushroom slices about 2 minutes, add the celery & onion until crisp tender, about 5 minutes, next add crawfish tail meat. Saute another 2 minutes. (If excessive butter remains, drain off.)

Combine saute mixture, crumbled cornbread, toast crumbs and beaten eggs with hands.

VERY CAREFULLY. Add salt and pepper (won't need much, if any salt). Add very small amounts of sage and poultry seasoning and taste. (ADDING TOO MUCH SAGE WILL RESULT IN A VERY BITTER STUFFING!)

Add chicken broth a cup at a time, blend with hands, and keep adding until your stuffing becomes moist and pasty.

For dressing, mixture may be placed in small Pyrex baking dish and baked at 350 until top and sides are golden brown. Or may be placed in game hen and roasted according to poultry's recipe. Make sure hen is close to room temperature before stuffing and cooking.

If you can keep from eating all the cornbread before you start...this is a good recipe as well.

1/2 can creamed corn

Mix according to Muffin recipe and add sugar, corn, green chilis and Triple Blast, being sure to let stand a few minutes before pouring up to cook.

Cook according to mix, preferably in heated cast iron and add a couple of minutes to cooking time.

Wow now this is to difficult to visualize, got any pics? How do you cut into something like that? :waiting:

Give a whirl sometime.

Chicken Dressings

Game Mushrooms

Side Dish Thnksgiving

2 tablespoons butter

1/2 teaspoon gumbo file

To Taste Salt and pepper

To Taste ground sage

1/2 can creamed corn

Or - let the wife cook while you watch football.

You're kiddin', right? :hysterical2:

Fryers are getting very popular down here.

My family does not have a formal Thanksgiving Dinner - however I've had several events where we've deep fried several turkeys. I would recommend using a broom handle or something similar to use in the "fryer hangar" when taking the turkey in and out of the deep fryer.

Also, read the directions very carefully on how to determine the right amount of oil to use (based upon bird size).

HSURB

Yes, I haven't replied or voted yet because we are looking into a fryer. That is how this whole thing started w/ Coldy.

Well quit looking and just go buy one! Then throw some birds in there and report back before Thanksgiving! Practice makes perfect!

Now get down to wal-mart and snoop out a fryer! :hysterical:

Stupid question. Can you use the fryers for chickens, too?

Yes. It is really just like a large deep fat fryer. Just be careful to never overfill with oil. If it goes over the edge, it goes right into the open flame on the heat source. When that happens - - - look out nelly. :dog:

HSURB

I think this year we're going back to the conventional oven to cook our dinner. We tried a deep fryer last year for the first time and didn't have much success. Happy Thanksgiving to all my good friends here and to some of my not so good friends also. :hysterical:

post-6385-1195660240_thumb.jpg

It's sliced like a roast. so your portion looks kinda like a penwheel with the different layers of meats.

Me got no wifey poo to cook for me :cry: ..... of course...remembering back, my ex-wife's gravy could stick just about any 2 items together for eternity, it worked with her and my best friend, but then again, he hasn't run out of money yet. :hysterical2:

Archived