TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SAAC

ilmor

I belong to MCA, SAAC, IN-SAAC and Team Shelby.

I've been treated good by all 4 clubs!

When I restored my 69 GT350 in 2003 MCA, SAAC and IN-SAAC were all very helpful with information and also helped me locate many NOS parts. I attended SAC 28 in Nashville, Tennessee in 2003 and Carroll Shelby was there and he also signed the visor on my 69.

(He only charged $50.00 back then)

The IN-SAAC probably has one of the nicest Shelby shows that there is. I attended their Spring Fling in May 07 with my 07 Shelby because they created a late model Shelby class. There were 15 07 Shelby's there. They made me feel very welcome and I will definitely attend next year.

The StangsUnleashed / Team Shelby members have also been very helpful, friendly and informative since I joined in September of 06.

I don't really care who pissed off who, it's none of my business.

I will continue to be a member of all 4 clubs.

Alan

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well...I am going to SAAC 33 next year. Now I wonder if it is a mistake and maybe should look into a refund?

GO, GO, Go You will have a great time & meet alot of great people . I have never been disappointed with a SAAC Convention. SAAC member since 87`

GO, GO, Go You will have a great time & meet alot of great people . I have never been disappointed with a SAAC Convention. SAAC member since 87`

Well said! member since 92'

I am a member of SAAC too, and there are some very nice benefits to being in the club. They offer insurance appraisals for your car, there's a monthly newsletter with lots of stuff for sale in it, and they put out a really nice magazine. If a person needs info about a particular model you can contact the registrars of each year and they help you get the information you need. Anyone whose ever had the chance to look through a Shelby Registry knows the lengths the guys from SAAC go to to document the cars, it's an incredible publication. I like the way Team Shelby includes all of the Shelby cars, but I hope there's still room for both clubs.

is it possible that saac dug their own hole on this?

out of all of the shows, cruises etc that I have been to, it is only the hard core older shelby and mustang guys and clubs that have made me feel unwelcome. If SAAC has taken the same stance, then it is easy to see why cs is starting up with a new organization.

Here's a link to some of SAAC's members and some of their opinions on the situation. Makes for some pretty good reading.

Dave

http://www.shelbyforums.com/forums/shelby-...-saac-odds.html

I think to miss the SAAC event in New Jersey would be as foolish as not buying a 65 GT350 in 1974 for $500 Dollars and leaving it sit in your Moms Dry Garage in Arizona!! :banghead: It will be interesting to see if TEAM SHELBY plans an event for the same weekend. that in my opinion would be Trifling! I am a SAAC Member and a Moderator at www.shelbyforums.com I think TEAM SHELBY has many good ideas and should do well. I do not think the membership of SAAC will be affected in the long run. a Rivalry between the two will result in changing peoples one time adoration of a certain Old Guy from "Idol" to something much less and unmentionable on a Family rated site.

The event not to miss is the Mid-America Shelby & Performance Ford meet in Tulsa. The one event I attended this year where vintage Shelby owners treated me as one of their own. My biggest cheerleader at the road course was the gentleman whose '68 GT500 vert won Best of Show! I don't know who had more fun, me driving or him rooting me on. :happy feet:

Sadly, this is one event that SAAC has chosen to stop sanctioning :redcard:

Time for Team Shelby to step up to the plate. Mr. Wickes' (sp) inclusive philosophy has served Mid-America very well and seems to mesh with the new club's attitude well!

A long time ago a guy name Shelby struck a deal with Ford and started modifying Mustangs. Why did he do this? Because it was a business decision and a way to build his business up and make money. Yes, he loved the cars but he still needed to support the business.

A guy named Shelby strikes a deal with Ford and starts modifying Mustangs (GT500, Shelby GTH, Shelby GT, SS, KR, etc). Why did he do this? Because it was a business decision and a way to build his business up and make money.

Shelby Automobiles Inc. is a business. We can not forget this. They are in business to make money just like any other business. Carroll Shelby is just part of the organization. He has surrounded himself with some great people. Their mission is to keep the business profitable and keep the business around for many years to come.

Now for the real questions. How much money can Shelby Automobiles Inc. make from the early Shelby’s? How much money can Shelby Automobiles Inc. make from the new Shelby’s?

The SAAC club is a great club in my opinion for two reasons. The cars are Shelby’s and the club members love them.

The same goes for the new Team Shelby club.

I do not have an early car but I will still support SAAC as well as Team Shelby.

I do not now what is happening behind the scenes between SAAC and Shelby Automobiles Inc. but when I here “Lawyer” all I can think of is how much is the lawyer going to make and at who’s expense.

Let’s face it, business is business and Shelby people are great people. The clubs are for the people. So support what ever club you feel comfortable with and let’s see to it both prosper.

Just my two cents.

Hey everybody, I just joined today. I just heard about the "Team Shelby" club last week. I have been a member of SAAC for many years and was wondering why Carroll formed his own club when SAAC seemed to be so dedicated to Shelby and his cars. I wondered what SAAC thought about that. I still don't know. Aparentlty there must have been some sort of falling out??? I sure hope everything can be resolved and everybody can get together. These are awesome cars and I have the upmost respect for Ford & Shelby and I am sure glad they decided to do it again!! IMHO, the more members the better the car shows and the track events will be. Thanks Carroll for having the vision again!! Mark

Been a member of SAAC for years and have relied on the valuable documented information they have on the "History of the Brand" and found them to be extremely helpful. Their work needs to be commended for keeping the "integrity" in tact. I can support both clubs here, Team Shelby and SAAC. They each provide valuable information.

When (what year) did SAAC sanction Mid-America? Must have been a long time ago.

Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part; I will choose not to argue about semantics.

When I joined SAAC, there was an Oklahoma regional chapter; and the Mid-America info was listed under the Events section of the website as an official SAAC regional meet. As of January of this year, that appears to no longer be the case.

My disappointment is that this is yet another relationship that has been broken (& the one closest to my involvment in the hobby).

Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part; I will choose not to argue about semantics.

When I joined SAAC, there was an Oklahoma regional chapter; and the Mid-America info was listed under the Events section of the website as an official SAAC regional meet. As of January of this year, that appears to no longer be the case.

My disappointment is that this is yet another relationship that has been broken (& the one closest to my involvment in the hobby).

SAAC had to pull support as the RACE held at the event could not be controlled by SAAC thus creating an Insurance Liability. They do have many members who still attend the event. there is a lot of uneducated people talking about SAAC on this site and over time we will be around to address your questions.- Dave

SAAC had to pull support as the RACE held at the event could not be controlled by SAAC thus creating an Insurance Liability. They do have many members who still attend the event. there is a lot of uneducated people talking about SAAC on this site and over time we will be around to address your questions.- Dave

I fail to see the difference between the events at Mid-America and the events held at SAAC-32 in Utah. To the average participant they appear the same.

The apparent attitude of your printed words toward all of the uneducated (masters degree or doctoral holding) people here betrays a large part of the problem I have seen in the organization TO WHICH I CURRENTLY BELONG. If I am missing pertinent facts it is because my club has not properly kept me abreast of them! Treat me with respect and dignity and I will repsect you.

Maybe less of this, as it's a "discussion" with no end, and more of future plans and options? As Ford says, we need a "go forward plan"!

I think that we should not insult other members posts by calling them uneducated. This is a place to discuss the issue even if we do not agree and all opinions are welcome here, as long as they are respectful towards other members opinions.

Been a member of SAAC for years and have relied on the valuable documented information they have on the "History of the Brand" and found them to be extremely helpful. Their work needs to be commended for keeping the "integrity" in tact. I can support both clubs here, Team Shelby and SAAC. They each provide valuable information.

Well spoken!

Michael Mark, BSc EE, P.Eng.IM008347.jpg

I don't believe that any club of any kind is "stupid" . It may be inept, discriminating,over-priced or what ever, but it is made up of people. I am and have been a SAAC member for over 5 years and while I really have gotten basically nothing for my money but some really knowledgeable contacts, I was not forced to participate. And those of you with "new" Shelbys should be thankful that this "stupid club " maintained and perpetuated the history and reputation of these fine cars for the past 30 years , or you might still be driving a Taurus...

I think that we should not insult other members posts by calling them uneducated. This is a place to discuss the issue even if we do not agree and all opinions are welcome here, as long as they are respectful towards other members opinions.

I agree with "Sharon" that name calling, whether personal or re: a club/organization is uncalled for, petty, and down right immature. Maybe DavidDalton did use an "inappropriate" word when he said "uneducated people", but I believe he was referring to something more along the lines of "mis or un-informed" people, which tends to happen when the game of "telephone" is played, even via the internet. But I do have to agree with him re: there is a lot of misinformation and assumptions going on and hence people taking sides unnecessarily, without all of the facts.

First fact, however, no-body is suing anyone at this time. The paperwork from the SA lawyer (which was initiated by SA, and not by SAAC) it states that they want all paraphernalia/merchandise, etc. bearing Shelby's intellectual properties, all documents regarding the registry of all Shelby vehicles by SAAC, etc. etc. It also states that SAAC must cease and desist using any Shelby intellectual properties in any of its events, literature, publications, etc, including Cobra, GT-500, 289, Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe, etc. etc. SAAC did not initiate any lawyer involvement but can you blame them for not sitting back and letting everything thing, that its members have built up or the last 33 years, be taken away? Can you imagine any club not being able to use the names/words directly associated with their passion, including its name in this case SAAC? I would fight back as well. And last time I checked with my lawyer friends (and I do feel there are too many lawyers in the world) it is always recommended for the parties involved to stay mum when there is any sort of potential legal action or involvement taking place. In this case SA’s lawyers presented SAAC with legal documents/actions which required SAAC to unfortunately involve lawyers and hence stay mum; I don’t think corporate lawyers vs. non-lawyer SAAC members and Directors would have been fair. It seems that SAAC had to choice but to involve lawyers.

Second fact, in all of the blogs, forums, and even within the press-release from SAAC it has NEVER been mentioned that the SAAC club is annoyed, ticked off, upset, etc. etc. that the Shelby organization created a new club. I am sure it is the more the merrier. As an enthusiast, I am upset however (as I am sure members of SAAC or any other non-Team Shelby club member) that the Shelby organization has decided not to recognize any other club. What does that say to everyone else who started a local or international club over the years? Are their efforts worth nothing now?

Last fact, the SAAC is not in existence because of the money. Last time I checked on the SAAC website, the club was started almost 33 years ago when the cars were not worth very much and founded by a bunch of guys who loved the look, feel, speed, etc of the cars, not to mention getting down and dirty under the hood. Last time I checked ALL of those men are still around and running/involved in the club (along with 5,000 others) which they still are so passionate about….and many of whom are still driving those cars…not letting sit around as many have mentioned/assumed. Now granted they are a bit older and maybe a bit set in their ways (but aren’t we all as we age) but the love and passion is still there. So it happens that many of the “vintage” cars are worth a little bit more today, big deal. That did not cause everyone to pick up and leave or dissolve the club…it is still around…the passion was always there for the cars by the club members regardless of the “value”. And last time I checked, $40(membership dues) x 5000(members) does not = millions nor does $25 (convention entry fee...if I recall correctly it was even less in years past) x 3500 to 4500 visitors. In my financial planning experience, this would never cover the basic administrative expenses for printing and mailing of multiple publications a year or the preparation and printing of comprehensive registries (even if it is only every 10 years), website maintenance (even for one that is a bit outdated), track rental for annual conventions, insurance, hotel rooms (for those do not show up), banquet meals (for those who do not show up), even golf carts (for those who reserve and don't show up)local advertising, rental of the banquet hall, etc. etc. And my assumption is that this is only for the national level. What about the local chapters. I assume that most of their expenses are paid out of pocket...becasuse they love those darn cars. Do people still really think SAAC is only in existence for the money???? My calculations say not.

Do things need to change and updated a bit at SAAC, yes. Do I also think people need to let go of old grudges and negative experiences, yes! Can this be done, absolutely, especially with support from both the old guard and newer enthusiasts…regardless of the year your Shelby was made (67 or 2007). Why do we have to choose b/c one is “vintage” and one is “modern”? Why not take advantage of both and help to make both clubs GREAT!

I think we all just need to have patience, which is very difficult and rare in this day and age, stop making assumptions (especially those which are causing such negative vibes and riffs b/t fellow enthusiasts) and stop the name calling (stupid, idiots, uneducated, are so inappropriate), and get back to enjoying the cars we all love. I am confident that both camps, will provide everyone with the facts, action plans, etc as soon as they can/are allowed to. Gotta love the legal system!

MustangSally2,

You make some really good points. The interesting thing to note, however, is that you recognize SAAC is probably not a money-making venture (and I seriously doubt that Team Shelby will suddenly become the next Google doing pretty much the same thing - charging $50 in dues, holding a few annual meets, selling shirts and mugs, etc.). Why is it that several (meaning "many") SAAC members think this is about Shelby being "greedy?" How exactly is he going to generate significantly more money doing the same thing, other than perhaps charging more and providing more to members?

On the other hand, nobody from SAAC has responded to the suggestion that maybe Shelby just didn't like the direction SAAC was headed, slacking on basic things like a website, periodic newsletter, outreach to new members, etc.?

MustangSally2,

You make some really good points. The interesting thing to note, however, is that you recognize SAAC is probably not a money-making venture (and I seriously doubt that Team Shelby will suddenly become the next Google doing pretty much the same thing - charging $50 in dues, holding a few annual meets, selling shirts and mugs, etc.). Why is it that several (meaning "many") SAAC members think this is about Shelby being "greedy?" How exactly is he going to generate significantly more money doing the same thing, other than perhaps charging more and providing more to members?

On the other hand, nobody from SAAC has responded to the suggestion that maybe Shelby just didn't like the direction SAAC was headed, slacking on basic things like a website, periodic newsletter, outreach to new members, etc.?

Benzito,

I will give you that Team Shelby will not become the next "Google", however, because it is supported by a multimillion dollar corporation (even if they do have financial difficulties) Team Shelby does have access to all of the resources of that company...from paper, phones, fax machines to data entry people, secretaries, etc which are already included in the expenses and payroll of SA resulting in lower overhead expenses for Team Shelby and hence greater profits. The pontential 10,000 to 20,000 members also add to the profit, but as you imply above it is not necessarily a 1:1 relationship as more people does add a bit to expenses, but again Team SHelby has the backing of a large corporation. I cannot speak for the "many" SAAC members although I must say that "many" may be a bit of an exageration as even if 100 members or even 200 members have been voicing their opinion that is still a relatively small % of the5000+ membership and should not necessarily be used as a complete generalization of the entire club. Speaking strictly for myself and making a few assumptions based on what I have read, I feel that "greedy" is not only relating to the all mighty $ but also the need for total control, which is represented in this case by Mr. Shelby and his organization trying to gain control of anything and everything related to the cars, merchandise, regardless of how large or small the "business" and regardless of the impact it will have on others, especially on his fans and supporters of Shelby cars. I feel the numerous documented lawsuits Mr. Shelby and his organization have filed against individuals, businesses, etc. support this assumption. Now some will argue that he has every right to do this, I guess from a business perspective (even if it is completely heartless) this is true, however it is often the manner in which it is done, without any consideration to the impact it has on others...it is reminicent of a steamroller just plowing through and crushing everything in its path without any consideration to the history, people, etc....this is what I believe gets to people most.

Regarding you second point, if he didn't like the direction SAAC was going, why didn't he say anything or try to work with them to move things forward. Why did he continue to attend national conventions all of these years, including SAAC 30...only 2 years ago? It seems that these drastic measures that he has recently taken could not be the result of him disagreeing with things for only the last 2 years. SAAC does need some updating, but that is something that can be done. Re: periodic newsletters, they do have the Snakebite which is sent out regularly. Re: your comment that SAAC has been slacking re: reaching out to new members, I've actually heard that SA told SAAC that they weren't allowed to reach out to or "involve" the new Shelby's or their owners. Based on what I've seen at recent conventions, many of the "old time" members actually have and totally enjoy their new Shelby's. This sentiment that SAAC does not welcome new cars seems a bit obscur. For Pete's sake Ford was at SAAC 32 with new 2008's and prototypes of a Ford-GT and GT-500. If SAAC didn't welcome or recognize these would they have "allowed" Ford to exibit as prominantly as they did? At the end of the day, outside of modern technology, SAAC has never done anything other than support the Shelby brand so why not just leave them be.

Thank you for your feedback/questions.

Archived