TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mods to Canadian cars

To those Canadians that had the 40th Anniversary package done, did you have any trouble at the border when coming back? Bysie was told that there could be problems if the centre of gravity was changed, or with tire and wheel mods. Here's a link to the Supersnake thread with his comments:

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...showtopic=12898

This is news to me, and worrisome when the SuperSnake conversions get done. I have a US GT500 that I just brought back, without any problems, but it was stock. Maybe Customs treats US-original cars different than Canadian cars, even after the exportation? Doesn't make sense to me, but better to check now. Any insights would be appreciated.

To those Canadians that had the 40th Anniversary package done, did you have any trouble at the border when coming back? Bysie was told that there could be problems if the centre of gravity was changed, or with tire and wheel mods. Here's a link to the Supersnake thread with his comments:

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...showtopic=12898

This is news to me, and worrisome when the SuperSnake conversions get done. I have a US GT500 that I just brought back, without any problems, but it was stock. Maybe Customs treats US-original cars different than Canadian cars, even after the exportation? Doesn't make sense to me, but better to check now. Any insights would be appreciated.

Finally talked with Rob down at SAI about the SS package. He said that the car is lowered a good inch by SSing. He said that SAI will only modify pre-registered vehicles to get around the whole US DOT compliance issue and thus avoiding having to retest the car for safety. Probably why you'll never see a SS in a Ford showroom. Not a new one anyway. He thought that because the parts used in the SS mod were all Ford parts that we could possibly say that its still an all Ford built vehicle. (Unless you choose the Eibach suspension) My next call is to Transport Canada to get some clarification and hopefully get something in writing before our numbers get called.

Any idea who got the 40th Anniversary edition in Canada? I wonder how they made out at the border.

Let me know if you get anything in writing. When I called Transport Canada, they referred me to the Provincial Transport Safety department. They in turn said that as long as the car is not raised or lowered more than 10 cm then is is legal. Would not send a letter.

Let me know if you get anything in writing. When I called Transport Canada, they referred me to the Provincial Transport Safety department. They in turn said that as long as the car is not raised or lowered more than 10 cm then is is legal. Would not send a letter.

Which province gave you that information? I have to deal with Transport Canada in my business all the time. They are difficult to nail down to a direct answer on just about any topic unless its already written in CMVSS. 10 cm would give us 4" give or take. No problems if thats the case. :happy feet: I'll let you know if I get anything.

• 2 weeks later...
Finally talked with Rob down at SAI about the SS package. He said that the car is lowered a good inch by SSing. He said that SAI will only modify pre-registered vehicles to get around the whole US DOT compliance issue and thus avoiding having to retest the car for safety. Probably why you'll never see a SS in a Ford showroom. Not a new one anyway. He thought that because the parts used in the SS mod were all Ford parts that we could possibly say that its still an all Ford built vehicle. (Unless you choose the Eibach suspension) My next call is to Transport Canada to get some clarification and hopefully get something in writing before our numbers get called.

Any idea who got the 40th Anniversary edition in Canada? I wonder how they made out at the border.

Buddy of mine in Calgary got his done, arrived home in late October with the car, if you want to contact him let me know. He did not mention any problems and he knows I am looking to get mine done as well.

• 1 month later...
Buddy of mine in Calgary got his done, arrived home in late October with the car, if you want to contact him let me know. He did not mention any problems and he knows I am looking to get mine done as well.

I am interested, planning on SSing mine? Can you contact him for me...Thanks

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

Some time has passed so I hope some fellow Canadians have been through the shipping process. Has any of you shipped the car through a carrier and back through a carrier? I am just wondering if the Commercial carrier has to pay the taxes on the upgrades and then collect from you?

Or were you hauling the car yourself and never had any problems at the border when bringing the car back into the country? Any info from your experience is appreciated :)

Kurtis

Hi Guys,

Some time has passed so I hope some fellow Canadians have been through the shipping process. Has any of you shipped the car through a carrier and back through a carrier? I am just wondering if the Commercial carrier has to pay the taxes on the upgrades and then collect from you?

Or were you hauling the car yourself and never had any problems at the border when bringing the car back into the country? Any info from your experience is appreciated :)

Kurtis

Kutis,

Are you hauling your car in from the US for the first time or did you buy it in Canada? I hauled mine across on my own and had the usual border hassles. :banghead: I would assume that you would be required to use a broker to handle the customs issues if you were using a commercial hauler. Not saying thats fact, just an assumption. If you are bringing a vehicle across, just make sure you have all your paperwork in line, the rest is just patience. :dance:

Kutis,

Are you hauling your car in from the US for the first time or did you buy it in Canada? I hauled mine across on my own and had the usual border hassles. :banghead: I would assume that you would be required to use a broker to handle the customs issues if you were using a commercial hauler. Not saying thats fact, just an assumption. If you are bringing a vehicle across, just make sure you have all your paperwork in line, the rest is just patience. :dance:

You could drive it across & arrange for a hauler on the otherside .If your close to a border.

Kutis,

Are you hauling your car in from the US for the first time or did you buy it in Canada? I hauled mine across on my own and had the usual border hassles. banghead.gif I would assume that you would be required to use a broker to handle the customs issues if you were using a commercial hauler. Not saying thats fact, just an assumption. If you are bringing a vehicle across, just make sure you have all your paperwork in line, the rest is just patience. dance.gif

I was thinking of using a commercial hauler as I would like to keep the mileage low on the car. The car is originally from the US and transported and registered in Canada. I guess I am not sure what will be needed to take is back into the US, upgrade it, then haul it back to Canada for the final time.

You could drive it across & arrange for a hauler on the otherside .If your close to a border.

I Live in Prince Edward Island and it is about 5.5-6 hours drive to the border (Maine). I was thinking about that option and it is about a 500 Km drive... lol, maybe it would be a way to bond with the car after the makeover, but again it is 500 extra km that I would hat to put on her :P

Kurtis

Archived