TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My 87 w/my Rampage

rare_ram

2626035_11_full.jpg

Nice Rampage. Mine is sitting on the side of the house waiting its turn. A older friend found a DC Shelby Rampage in LA FS and bought it. Then paid to have it towed up here to WA in Seattle. Then his wife saw another toy and flipped. So I got a 24 hour deal and now I have the thing. Like most mine is going turbo, I want to do a 2.4 for it and use it for drag racing. But the line in front is long :violin: Are you on turbododge.com?

Rob

Nice Rampage. Mine is sitting on the side of the house waiting its turn. A older friend found a DC Shelby Rampage in LA FS and bought it. Then paid to have it towed up here to WA in Seattle. Then his wife saw another toy and flipped. So I got a 24 hour deal and now I have the thing. Like most mine is going turbo, I want to do a 2.4 for it and use it for drag racing. But the line in front is long :violin: Are you on turbododge.com?

Rob

Mine looks like this right now.

732054_271_full.jpg

Building it to look like the Shelby Rampage that Dodge should have built. I'm on TD, TM, BM and have a blog about the resto-mod here, http://limitedmopars.org/forumdisplay.php?f=84

Ditto on that.

How many Shelby Rampages did they make?

http://www.allpar.com/omni/rampage/index.html

These are very rare. By name are they a Shelby? Well Shelby wasn't licensed to build his own cars for 84', his first numbered car was in 86'. His business in Whitter CA built these and there said to have built only 218 of them. But Shelby was a direct Connection dealer and his parts truck everyone fell in love with was a parts hauler. They was sold at Dodge dealers as a dodge but built by Shelby and came with the Direct Connection sticker on the wind shield. Many call them a DC Rampage, a CA spiecal, or a Shelby Rampage. The only markings are DC on the wind shield and Rampage and Dodge on the tail gate.

These can be found by finding the 15" tire call out on the door. ONLY the DC Rampages had a 15" tire call out and this is how we find the real ones today. They used 2 sets of Shelby Charger sides to make one set and the nose was just off the Charger, the side pieces in the back were spiecal to them. The regular ground effects were always plastic, the side rear pieces are fiberglass. Unlike the Shelby Chargers they didn't say Shelby on the sides if you look at the sticker. I have an origanal DC truck with the garnet red paint and 15" tire call out. I am told 40 DCs came with the cast DC valve cover, I bought one off Ebay to bolt on mine lol.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...
So what do rampages go for these days? Say in running condition and body fair.

It all depends on who is selling it, but I would say that 500-1K should get you one that is running and not totally rusted out. 1500 for one with minimal rust and a decent running motor.

• 4 weeks later...
So what do rampages go for these days? Say in running condition and body fair.

I have 3 offers of $3,500 for my DC without an engine in it. Normally they are going for $2,500 -$4,000 right now for nice ones. Many carry the money the 87 GLHS carrys. A Masi powered perfect one went for $19,000 I'm told, but the engine in that one is worth thousands

post-11184-1200802925_thumb.jpgpost-11184-1200802991_thumb.jpg[attachm

ent=25190:718757_3_full.jpg]post-11184-1200803088_thumb.jpg

I have one of the 218 made before Shelby was a manfacture again, they were only sold in CA. One pic is Shelbys service truck and the other is a stock on the lot photo.

post-11184-1200803297_thumb.jpgpost-11184-1200803328_thumb.jpgpost-11184-1200803371_thumb.jpg

Last photo shows Shelby with a truck DC put everything on. That rear cover and wing sucked lol.

post-11184-1200803054_thumb.jpg

post-11184-1200802925_thumb.jpg

post-11184-1200802991_thumb.jpg

post-11184-1200803054_thumb.jpg

post-11184-1200803088_thumb.jpg

post-11184-1200803297_thumb.jpg

post-11184-1200803328_thumb.jpg

post-11184-1200803371_thumb.jpg

The DC trucks also had the DC sticker on the windshield and 40 of them are said to have the cast DC valve cover. Mine is red and I found the valve cover and the windshield sticker :woohoo: Not easy to find either of those, but the rest of the decals are made again. Also looking at buying the DC B&M blower for it, but should it be restored stock? Dodges aren't worth more stock like the Fords though so I haven't decided.

post-11184-1200803942_thumb.jpgpost-11184-1200804087_thumb.jpg

post-11184-1200804546_thumb.jpg

post-11184-1200803942_thumb.jpg

post-11184-1200804087_thumb.jpg

post-11184-1200804546_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

There is a red Rampage that I pass almost every day (depending on the route I take to work) that has been for sale for quite a while now that has a sign next to it for $2000. From the road it looks like the body is in nice shape but I've never stopped to look at it. Don't know anything else about it like if it runs or not or what year. It doesn't have any decals on it.

They also have a 68 or 69 Dodge Dart that looks to be in the makings of a race car. So based on that and cordes' earlier post of the price range it sounds like they probably do know what they have or posibly a little over priced maybe.

None.

Looked over your site with your mods on it. Looks like a lot of work and you went with drum brakes on the back?!?! The 89 and newer 10" rear disks are a bolt on and the front brakes you get from a 85-90 mini van. Thats a SLH 3 brake system the way I wrote it on the boostedmopar.com forum. Works great. Last one I did was a 83 Scamp, nightmare. The dash wiring is different before 83, so you need the dash and the wiring back to the fuel tank of the SC. My DC shelby Rampage I have has the newer dash as it was a 84, all regular Rampages came with 4 head lights. The older wiring is a lot harder to deal with, the 88-89 Shadow is the best wiring and engine choice. The early wiring must be converted to 87 at least to be converter to under hood map and then you can buy a 3 bar. Rampages love the turbo engine. I also looked at the Rancheros and so on. They sucked bad and still do. The reason is no weight on the drive wheels, the idea is sound but they needed to be FWD to get out of there own way. Always growing up driving a Challenger I was always so happy if I had to stage with one, they were never any kind of a challenge. The Rampages though on the other end have gone 10s in street trim, they love FWD. I also noticed you don't have the side pieces? Shelbys people didn't make them from scratch, only the side pieces behind the rear tire are custom to the DC Shelby Rampages. Take a regular Shelby Charger side piece and hold it to the Rampage. Then right at the door gap on the handle side cut it. Then get another set from another SC and put them on from the back and cut them about 1.5' where they meet the front half. Pretty easy to do the side pieces. The rear side pieces are not that magic plastic like the SC has, they are custom and fiberglass. Would be nice if someone made them, I'll have to talk to Johnny at polybushings as he may be able to reproduce them. Here is 2 of my build lists for a Rampage and a Scamp GT, the GT is finished.

Scamp

85 Shelby charger donar. Engine, wiring in the dash and under the hood. Changed tanks but not the fuel lines, added rear heat shield to fire wall. Added the whole front suspension, bigger ball joint A arms and knuckles. The SC springs and struts and K memeber with sway bar. 87 mini van single bolt 60mm caliper front brakes. 87-88 Shelby Daytona proportioning valve and 7/8 master, 89 10" rear disks. 89 mini van turbo trans with phantom grip posi and the other simple mods. 88 Omni auto trans larger axles and added the shifter (was a 5 speed). Went with a FWDperformance.com stage 2 14 PSI computer and 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust. Stops incredible and goes great too with the computer. MP computers suck, no low RPM part throttle power.

The DC Shelby Rampage

SLH 3 mini van fronts and solid rear disks, brakeplanet.com drilled and slotted rotors with pads. 2.4L Stratus DOHC engine, Eagle rods and forged pistons. 2.0 Neon DOHC cams with newer 2.4 valve train. Mexican market 2.4L turbo exhaust manifold, 03-04 Cummins turbo Holset, 9cm rear housing, 4" exhaust, side exit. Koni front shocks with 500 lb springs. 96 Neon 3 speed trans with transbrake and helical posi. 88 Shadow wiring and a distributer on the cam adapter.

The DC is still being put together. Some clown messed up the body doing a paint job and it has rust by the front windshield. I have about 2/3 of the parts so far. I may end up putting an 8v in it and driving it soon, I need a little truck for work and the gas prices rape ya. Good luck with your build, going turbo is always worth the trouble.

• 1 month later...
I have 3 offers of $3,500 for my DC without an engine in it. Normally they are going for $2,500 -$4,000 right now for nice ones. Many carry the money the 87 GLHS carrys. A Masi powered perfect one went for $19,000 I'm told, but the engine in that one is worth thousands

post-11184-1200802925_thumb.jpgpost-11184-1200802991_thumb.jpg[attachm

ent=25190:718757_3_full.jpg]post-11184-1200803088_thumb.jpg

I have one of the 218 made before Shelby was a manfacture again, they were only sold in CA. One pic is Shelbys service truck and the other is a stock on the lot photo.

post-11184-1200803297_thumb.jpgpost-11184-1200803328_thumb.jpgpost-11184-1200803371_thumb.jpg

Last photo shows Shelby with a truck DC put everything on. That rear cover and wing sucked lol.

I am the owner of the Rampage with the 16V engine shown in the first three pictures. I did not pay even half of "$19,000" for it. Who knows where THAT number came from !?!?!?!

"Pope," the name that the author of this particular erratta goes by on TD.com and T-M.com, is incorrect about the price that I paid.

That said, it IS a very nice trucklet. No BS, I do drive it daily. I don't collect cars, I drive them. In fact, I drove it today. Last Saturday, I used it to haul my GSXR1100 to Willow Springs for the AHRMA classic bike races.

I love driving the "Ramerati" so much that I really do wish that MaMopar would build a SRT4 trucklet on the PT chassis. It would kick the s**t out of the new Pontiac V8 "El Camino." My trucklet is basically a stock Masi turbo set up, so it ought to be making about 225 HP in a vehicle that weighs about 2700 pounds (according to CA cert'd scale). 3.50 gears, so it makes big end too.

Just correcting the record, no offense intended.

Hi John

Yeah I was wondering where that $19k price came from. Glad you set the record straight.

Missed you at the MATS event last month. Was hoping your Rampage was going to be there but I guess theres next year.

Steve

Hey Steve

Well, I am going to do the All Mopar Track Day at Willow Springs May 1, so that makes up for it, sort of. The GLHT is still hung up with machine shop screw ups so it looks like the Ramerati will be my ride there, although I may take out GLHS#436. Darn choices! :slapfight: Why don't you come out too! It will be fun, even just to spectate; there were lots of significant cars there last year.

Also, as for the MATS weekend, my daughter was home from college (her 1st year) :happy feet: for Easter Vacation and seeing her/playing golf/going to dinner with her and mom/getting the gossip, of course, was more important than MATS.

Glad to see you are a mod here; this part of the site is in good hands. Not to say the rest of it isn't, of course.

John

• 2 weeks later...
I am the owner of the Rampage with the 16V engine shown in the first three pictures. I did not pay even half of "$19,000" for it. Who knows where THAT number came from !?!?!?!

"Pope," the name that the author of this particular erratta goes by on TD.com and T-M.com, is incorrect about the price that I paid.

Hmmm, I think I was too far down the line as info on this Rampage rolled along lol. Was this Alans Rampage once?

Hmmm, I think I was too far down the line as info on this Rampage rolled along lol. Was this Alans Rampage once?

Nope but in hindsight I'm pretty sure Alan wishes it was in his stable. I have a feeling that John's Masi Rampage has given Alan some additional motivation to finish his. I'm pretty sure I heard Alan say something about paint this year and the color he chose is from a Ford product.

Steve

John does your wife know that you have a mistress named Willow Springs :P You are spending some serious time there lately and I'm jealous.

Maybe we will have to look into having a Team Shelby day at Willow Springs. Hmmm....

Steve

Yes, she does, and yes she is jealous too.

As for a Team Shelby day - yes, let's do it. I know Forza is interested. It is hard to get folks out on a week day though - costs twice! Not to mention the tires/gas/etc.

Archived