TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Reliability of Shelby GT-500

boss351

Since the engine package is primarily a Lightning engine with 4-valve heads and a larger supercharger, it should be very reliable.

The trans is a WELL proven unit that is very strong and held up well in prior Cobras.

The rear end has a few changes from the standard Mustang unit to increase strength.

Nothing really all that different than what has been done in the past. It is just all put together in one package.

I would expect it to be very reliable as a daily driver.

Reliable for a daily driver? :bandance: :shift:

That is why this car has had the long gestation it has. The tuner cars don't have to go through all the certification that an OEM does, and as such with proper care and feeding this car should be easily good for 100,000 miles. Some earlier SVT COBRA's are over 150k miles and are showing leakdown rates of just 8% less than new! I have no doubt that there will be some minor issues, but I can't believe Ford would let its Halo car turn into a major disaster. Heck yes drive it every day!!! :shift: That is why they work so hard to get cars like this through the weenies at HQ.

Jetsolver - The "Halo" issue is a BIG one, and seems to be unknown or overlooked by many.

Ford wants this car to be their latest showcase for the next couple of years. They have learned from the past rollouts and SVT issues. This car should prove to be one of their best ad and performance programs yet - just look at the way it has been marketed so far. It seems to be everywhere you look.

Jetsolver - The "Halo" issue is a BIG one, and seems to be unknown or overlooked by many.

Ford wants this car to be their latest showcase for the next couple of years. They have learned from the past rollouts and SVT issues. This car should prove to be one of their best ad and performance programs yet - just look at the way it has been marketed so far. It seems to be everywhere you look.

Ya! except in my driveway.

Shelby001

Ford wants this car to be their latest showcase for the next couple of years. They have learned from the past rollouts and SVT issues.

A couple of things come to mind. Yes It is a marketing monster but that is because sales are slowing in the third year of the S-197 platform. The thing is we already saw pics of a pre/pro GT500 sidelined at a race track with an apparant cooling problem. Hopefully that was an abarition. But please folks be aware when you get to this level of performance it is NOT like buying a 500 for the missus. I assure you that any small issues will be dealt with by Ford, but if something comes to light it is because this car is a pretty serious extension of the platform. I truly hope for customers and perhaps even more for Fords sake this car is as good as it gets. Because while 9000 units doesn't mean spit to Ford's bottom line a disaster will cost 10s maybe 100s of thousands of sales. It won't be assembly but engineering that is an issue. Another instance of hoping I am proven wrong, but working on aircraft teachs you to look VERY deep.

Its really crowded under that hood I could see trying to work on things being a real pain. but I know it

is part of owning a car like the GT500. I think some folks are going to be upset after having the car for awhile and something goes bad or doesn't work and they have to take it in for service. Especially after paying X amount to get it some folks may start questioning things.

Its a great car people have wanted it to come out for a long time but its not going to be prefect without its share of little hiccups along the way. Cars like this need to be driven and sometimes driven the poo out of. I have these Bullitt flashbacks and sometimes things get out of hand around then :D

My biggest fear is heat. From the beginning, I have thought that a 5.4 in that tight engine bay with boost and limited airflow could be an issue - even with the enlarged radiator.

Even more power could be a big issue. But there ARE things that can be done.

I don't expect this car to be perfect and flawless, but I do expect it to be reliable as a daily driver with possible small issues. Ford has too much to lose at a time when they cannot afford to lose.

It is ALL speculation at this time.

There was an article in the Ford Racing magazine, that SVTOA Enthusiast was swallowed up by.

In January, Ford testers took 3 pre-production Shelbys to the strip. Each one logged in over 550 runs, without a mechanical failure.

I think this qualifies as the basic definition of 'bullet-proof'!

Do not underestimate the end user. Idiocy has no limits, and lots of this gets posted on public forums as faults with the product - not the user.

Some guys can break anvils with rubber mallets. ;)

DID the articles give any numbers?

I think that because Ford has had quite a few years now of supercharged cars and trucks under their belt, that they have learned plenty about many of the possible problems associated with these animals. This adds up to probably the best engineered SC car yet. the only thing that concerns me is their Vender quality control. This is something they will have to be on top of if they want to ensure a trouble free product. This goes for all of Fords line not just the GT500.

DID the articles give any numbers?

It is from a column written by Jay O'Connell, information about SVT engineers product testing at various tracks - sorry, no numbers.

They were also at Moroso Raceway in Florida for a 12 hour endurance run. They report that there was no loss in performance or driveability on any of the test vehicles after testing.

Archived