TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is the Navigation system offered any good in the Shelby's?

rown4au

thanks, Mach...

I thought Ford said somewhere it would be offered (standard or optional) on 12 vehicels by the end of this year and on most Fords by the end of 2008, but possibly mustang is configured/wired such that it creates a conflict (dunno)... e.g Navi OR Shaker-1000. It seems well thought-out -- I was talking to Microsoft rep at the Ford SEMA tent but she had no idea of specific Ford plans for the Mustang. If Ford doesn't hussle on this their 1-year exclusive 'window' will blow-by!!

Dan

Ford to debut more goodies at CES Show in Vegas jan 6-8

Release by Ford Media this afternoon....

Sounds like the Nav is going to get major improvements in 2009. Dunno if Mustang will get it then, but since it seems Mustang gets SYNC for '09 it would make a lot of sense.

Dan

IT'S MY FIRST CAR WITH A NAVIGATION SYTEM AND WE JUST LOVE IT. MY WIFE READS IT WHILE I DRIVE AS I CAN'T SEE IT THAT WELL. WHEN YOU TURN THE VOLUME UP IT'S HARD TO BELIVE YOU COULD POSSIBLY USE THE 1000 WATTS AND THE CAR IS ALREADY OVERWEIGHT AND DOESN'T NEED THE EXTRA WEIGHT THAT YOU GET WITH THE 1000. FOR US THE SIRIUS RADIO KIND OF NEGATES THE (OUR) NEED FOR THE CD.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

my 2cents - This is my first vehicle with factory NAV and I love it. Easy to use, great touch screen and software is still showing me new things. I had a 2005 GT convetible with the Shaker 1000 and when I have the top down on the Shelby I do miss the extra bass kick - but the NAV makes up for it, and I can always just turn up the volume some more.

My dealer assured me I could add 'factory' bluetooth after delivery. What I got was a Parrot system installed between the AC vents - I don't know who was more unhappy, me or the dealer. They are still trying to explain why me head unit has a phone button but they cannot install an integrated, invisible bluetooth?

What I think is really cool about Sync is that it's a software implementation on a PC-like engine but with voice-activated controls. So in the future new functions will be as simple as a download to your home computer (onto an SD-card or storage-key or some USB-pluggable devices).

Already For dhas announced a freee 911 service (as long as your bluetooth phone is in the car and known to Sync, etc) where it will automatically dial out to local 911 10 seconds after airbag deployment if you want it to (you can block it in those 10 seconds too)....and with no separate monthly fees (like on*star) since it uses your existing cell.

For the new F-150 this summer, Ford announced Work Force Solutions (requires optional Spring BB wireless link) such that contractors, etc can access date from their home/business servers from their worksite truck. Cool p-up bed 'cable' that automatically inventoies all pre-assigned items in your truck's bed -- wirelessly from inside the cab. All this is built off the basic Sync system. Cool approach, I think!

Here's a link to a thread I put up with some other links to Ford Media announces on the above, if interested.

Dan

I dont own a shelby yet and I cant comment on the Nav system in the car. But I can tell you what I know.

They are great and even with day to day driving (not just long trips) I use mine all of the time

With the cost of the potable navs sytems becoming so affourdable, the screen size getting larger,the tecnology getting better If I had the choice of getting one built into the car or getting a portable I would chose the portable. I feel that the tecnology is only going to get better and better as time goes on, The first nav system I got was in an esculade and you had to use a joy stick to use it , now all of them are touch screen in just a few years.

Also the ones built into cars do not allow you to search or modify your direction with out stopping the vechicle the portable do allow you to operate them while the car is moving. Now I now some folks might say well its dangerous to play with a navigation unit while driving,I agree but when you have a passenger they could safley adjust it while your driving.

Also from a middle aged guy (43 is that middle aged) I am at the point where I dont what to have to re learn how to operate a navagation unit with each car I own it hard enough to try and figure out all of the other stuff. With my portable I just carry it from car to car. The wifes car is an 08 esculade and the nav system came as part of a package we bought , But if I have to take her car out on a trip and i dont have my daughter to punch in the adress for me I just grab mine from the truck and pop it on the dash

+1 on that- i have a garmin nuvi 360 and it is great..when you are really driving this car, the last thing you have time to do is look down at the screen in front of the stick. If Im at a light, okay I can do it, but not driving. I mount my portable over where some put column gauges and it works great. Also, a BIG reason- nay, THE reason I didnt go with the nav, is it is not available on the shaker 1000. total bs. I would have paid the extra 1400.00 just to have all the options, but instead I saved myself a grand and got the best radio. JMHO

I'm about to put the Pioneer AVIC-D3X into my car. I don't have nav currently with the Shaker 1000, but I have to have the Bluetooth and I want it built in.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Ite...c=3&tp=5684

I'm about to put the Pioneer AVIC-D3X into my car. I don't have nav currently with the Shaker 1000, but I have to have the Bluetooth and I want it built in.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Ite...c=3&tp=5684

I like- do you mind giving us details of how it works with shaker 1000...if it is compatible and sounds good, Ill jump on it just for the bluetooth! That is a 1000.00 accessory through ford, but I was told it can be added to the shaker system. If the display lights up red, it would match the rest of my interior lighting, and that would be a big plus for me!

I like- do you mind giving us details of how it works with shaker 1000...if it is compatible and sounds good, Ill jump on it just for the bluetooth! That is a 1000.00 accessory through ford, but I was told it can be added to the shaker system. If the display lights up red, it would match the rest of my interior lighting, and that would be a big plus for me!

I installed the Pioneer AVIC-D3X, my shelby came w/ shaker1000, I had to put a resitor on the power back to the amp because it would pop when I powered it up, It has bluetooth, ipod adapter and it really works well. Rick

As I mentioned earlier - I have and like it, but here's an update. I have the new LG Voyager cellphone from Verizon. It's sort of an answer to the i-phone. It has a touch screen on the front, plus it opens to a full qwerty keyboard. It has a browser than can be used in screen-optimized or full screen mode. Plus - it has GPS nav and live TV. The thing is unbelieveable. What's significant about the nav system - it's cell-based and always up to date. Our car systems are DVD based and are updated annually - if at all. This cell based nav is contiuously updated at Verizon. It has the most extensive search capability I've ever seen - and has voice. It works just as well as my head unit. My car nav is still more convenient, but cell based nav is the future.

Archived