TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone have their windows etched?

chris_garcia624

Hello all, I am woundering if any of you had your SGTs windows etched at the dealership. My salesman told me to think about it hard if I decide to etch my windows. He said I have a collectors car and even if I were to tint my windows, that would take off the Shelby GTs originality. And if I would have the windows etched as well. Im still debating wheather or not to have it done. Any feed back on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

07SGT5468

Fort Knox, Ky

Hello all, I am woundering if any of you had your SGTs windows etched at the dealership. My salesman told me to think about it hard if I decide to etch my windows. He said I have a collectors car and even if I were to tint my windows, that would take off the Shelby GTs originality. And if I would have the windows etched as well. Im still debating wheather or not to have it done. Any feed back on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

07SGT5468

Fort Knox, Ky

First off tint is removable so not sure how that can less the value of your car. Second, I am not sure what you mean by etch? Is that for some sort of design? And if so, even that can be replaced with the same glass if need be. Last, all this is mute unless you intend on keeping your car as a collector car? If not, drive it, and enjoy it. Almost anything you do to it can be reversed back to original. Just my .02

Chris...my 2 cents...how old are you? Do you have 40 years to wait until this thing goes for crazy money/ In that time do you want to drive and enjoy the sh*t out of your car? Im thinking you said YES to the last one. So if you did, do the etching. It is something you obviously like and will egt alot of happiness from. Its your car and you only live once :)

07SGT5468

Fort Knox, Ky

When you say etch I assume you are talking about the etching they do where they put the 800# in the glass for theft. Don't waste your money!

When you say etch I assume you are talking about the etching they do where they put the 800# in the glass for theft. Don't waste your money!

I saw a black GT 500 coupe in the show room of a local dealer

that had the # with the dealer code etched into the windows

and I laughed and told them it will make it harder to sell.......... :hysterical:

I wouldn't bother w/ the etching. Someone steals your car, then they replace the glass. How does that help?

It doesn't.

The idea behind this is that people that typically steal cars steal them to strip down and sell the parts. Glass is something they sell. So if they see the glass has the 800# etched in they may not steal the car since they couldn't use the glass for anything. But it is still dumb and not worth the money. Spend the money on getting a good alarm installed if you are worried about theft.

All my windows were etched with the Vin # on them by the dealer during prep. I wasn't told about this ahead of time but it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other, This in no way can and will affect the value in a negative way if anything maybe add to it.(thats a big maybe though) All in all not a bad idea but not really necessary .

My two cents.............

It doesn't.

The idea behind this is that people that typically steal cars steal them to strip down and sell the parts. Glass is something they sell. So if they see the glass has the 800# etched in they may not steal the car since they couldn't use the glass for anything. But it is still dumb and not worth the money. Spend the money on getting a good alarm installed if you are worried about theft.

I don't see how this works. Any real criminal will take the car and get rid of the etched glass.

Thank you all for your feedback. I honestly hadnt thought of it that way, a real criminal would get ridd of the glass and then strip down the car for the rest of the parts that could be sold. Do they really charge for this to be done?? I didnt see any charges on my sales slip for this, and the finance manager told me if I decide to have it done just to bring it back to the dealer and they would do it without cost. Also good point, the tint can be removed if need be, so yeah Im gonna have my windows tinted as well. Im only 30 years old right now, and yeah if this car does go up in value it would be around 30 to 40 years from now, and we dont have any guarantee's in life so I will start to enjoy my car now. Once again thanks for you alls feedback.

Thank you all for your feedback. I honestly hadnt thought of it that way, a real criminal would get ridd of the glass and then strip down the car for the rest of the parts that could be sold. Do they really charge for this to be done?? I didnt see any charges on my sales slip for this, and the finance manager told me if I decide to have it done just to bring it back to the dealer and they would do it without cost. Also good point, the tint can be removed if need be, so yeah Im gonna have my windows tinted as well. Im only 30 years old right now, and yeah if this car does go up in value it would be around 30 to 40 years from now, and we dont have any guarantee's in life so I will start to enjoy my car now. Once again thanks for you alls feedback.

Ah, for a young man, great choices! Good luck and enjoy it while you can. :superhero:

07SGT5468

Fort Knox, Ky

if you really like the etching do it , IMO i wouldnt i think it looks stupid and would drop the value off your car !!!

on the tinting like others have said it can be removed , i had mine tinted and it looks bad a_ _ !!!

Archived