TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT-H Stripes

jw last

Own 2006 Shelby GT-H #286. Great car, issue with stripes on hood, roof, trunk and bumpers being very faded however. Has anybody acquired replacement stripes from Shelby for their GT-H? Understand they are very difficult to apply. Any experience with them?

Or has anybody painted the stripes over/on? If so, what color code gold was used? Understand the stripes are a proprietary Shelby color and can not be duplicated. Anybody get close to the color?

Thanks

JW

• 3 weeks later...
Own 2006 Shelby GT-H #286. Great car, issue with stripes on hood, roof, trunk and bumpers being very faded however. Has anybody acquired replacement stripes from Shelby for their GT-H? Understand they are very difficult to apply. Any experience with them?

Or has anybody painted the stripes over/on? If so, what color code gold was used? Understand the stripes are a proprietary Shelby color and can not be duplicated. Anybody get close to the color?

Thanks

JW

Hi JW,

I had the stripes replaced on 06H0016. About $800 for just the over the body stripes ( rocker panels were in very good condition). It was very labor intensive. Stripes can only be purchased from Shelby with some proof of ownership. The entire stripe kit is about $800 to $1000 plus labor of your choice. Even with the local dealers fancy tools I still lost a chip or two of paint from under the stripe which shows with close inspection. In the long run I still think it is the best option to keep the car orginal.

TomG

GT-H 's

• 1 month later...

Thanks

JW

I have replaced numerous Bird (hood) Decals on Pontiac (I know a bad word, here) Trans Am's. The process we used was 1/3 liquid laundry soap to 2/3 water in a large mister bottle. Keep the surface wet and you can move the decals anywhere you want. Use a small squeegee, like the ones used with spot putty or plastic (I know more bad words) to work out the water and air bubbles. Just make sure you have it where you want it before you move much water out. This is the easy part. Getting the old decals off is the real task. This is a job best suited for the heat of summer. Setting the car out in the hot sun for several hours in the heat of the day makes a huge difference. 3M makes a release agent that works fair. But you will need a large supply of single edge razor blades (buy a 100 pack), a good hair dryer (may as well buy your wife a new one when you buy the razor blades), but most importantly, make sure you have plenty of time and plenty of patience. Don't be afraid to quit and put the job off until the next day. :headspin:

Good Luck

Gary

• 4 months later...

I bought GT-H #417 Sept '07 and it had some damage to the stripes on the rear and front bumper. Just basically someone who rented the car put their luggage or golf shoes on the bumpers. I ordered new stripes and have been looking for someone to put them on but haven't had much luck. I went to my Ford dealer but they didn't want the work.....even said when they do this they bring someone in to put them on. I went to a couple of local body shops and they wouldn't guarantee they could get them on straight. I finally gave up and said I'll try it myself this past weekend and you know it wasn't that hard.

All I needed was a spray bottle, alcohol, dishwashing soap, a 3m rubber applicator, a blowdryer, a microfiber towel and a 1 inch role of masking tape. Here's what I did to replace my stipes.

1. I used the blowdryer to heat up the stripe and peel it off. It only took 3 to 5 minutes and left very little glue on the paint. I went slow to make sure I didn't take any paint. I've heard

people say they've used a heat gun but you might take some paint. The blowdryer worked perfectly.

2. I then cleaned the area with alcohol and a microfiber towel. I thought mineral spirits would work better but after surfing the web and talking to body shop supervisor at a Ford dealer;

everyone I spoke with said use alcohol.

3. At this point had I had a tack cloth I probably would have used it. There is a little lint even with a microfiber towel.

4. I then took the 1 inch masking tape and aligned it with the 1/2 stripe left on the vehicle. I only did the right side first so I could line it back up with the left side. This was alot easier then

peeling everything off the car.

5. I next wet the area down with a solution of 1/2 teaspoon alcohol 1/4 dishwashing soap and water per 20oz of water (got this from the web). I then peeled off the new stripe and wet it as I

peeled it off the backing. As long as you keep it wet it won't stick together and you can do about whatever you want with it. I had a little problem peeling off the new stripes. Whatever

you do if it is not peeling off easy....the backing is sticking....don't wet it with the solution until you get the backing off. If you can't get the stripe free pick a new corner and see if you

can get the backing started off in a different area. Once you get it started it will come all the way off.

6. You basically then just start to lay the strip out on the car and get it were you want it. As long as you keep it wet it will move anywhere you want it. Once I had it positioned I began to

push the solution and bubbles out with the applicator. I didn't use a bondo applicator......I found a rubber 2 x 3 inch 3m rubber square at O'reilly Autmotive and it worked really nice.

You could use it without having to worry about scratching the stripes. You have to be real patient on getting the bubbles out. It takes a while and some relifting of the stripe to get

them all out. The rear bumper stripe comes in three pieces and probably took me 1 1/2 hours to do all 3 pieces. It also took that long to do the other half. I think I could do it quicker

now but just took my time as not to screw it up and have to order another set of stripes

7. Near the end I would put down the 3m applicator and actually just use a microfiber towel to finish the ends.

It turned out great when I was done and I just shook my head and wondered why I didn't do it myself months ago. I spent more time trying to find somene to do this than had I just done it myself. Everyone I spoke with acted like it was a big deal and it really wasn't. The key is keep it wet with the solution and be patient. I can't wait to do the front bumper but may wait and have it repainted first as it has some damage from being rented. Heck I'm even tempted to paint it myself having painted a couple of cars when I was younger.

I hope this post will help someone to do it on their own. I've tried to be as detailed as I could to filll in some of the gaps I've read on other posts.

If anyone wants to try this and has questions please PM me I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

SVT / Stephen

2006 GT-H #417

2008 GT 500 Vapor

I had my stripes replaced on my SGT, go to a sign co, they can do it alot cheaper, my total cost was 260.00 for the whole car, that's installed and they did a better job than the factory.

• 2 weeks later...
I had my stripes replaced on my SGT, go to a sign co, they can do it alot cheaper, my total cost was 260.00 for the whole car, that's installed and they did a better job than the factory.

Hi

Did you buy the stripes there? if so did thay match the gold?

Jon

• 1 month later...

Thanks

JW

I just got my GT-H (06H0015) back from the body shop. Jack (shop owner and body man) had Dupont come out with their spectrum camera and get a computer match that is bang-on with the side stripe decals that I opted to go with. Jack is gone for a month, so suggest asking around if anyone else uses that technology to match paints, OR check back with me in a month when Jack is back.

CD

if you own a gt-h, email bud and he will hook you up with the original striping guys so you get the right material

budm@shelbyautos.com

• 2 weeks later...

I also needed to order and replace the front and rear bumper stripe. I tried a friend at the body shop and that removal process did not go well. I was given the name of a man who specializes in the removal and install of vinyl stripes on cars. He came to my home and worked in my garage taking about 1.5 hours to remove clean and re install the new stripes.

I can tell you a few things about the process. First he used a commercial heat gun, and never applied direct or right angle heat to the old stripe. it was always at a 45 degree angle and never for extended periods of time. once he had removed the old he applied the new stripe with what is called the "wet method". Using a commercial fluid in a mysting bottle he would spray the back of the stripe and the area on which he was going to install the strip. He also used a plastic tool to remove all of the air and fluid from behind the stripe. But the tool was special in that it had an unusual edge that did not mark the strip, scratch the paint, or stretch the vinyl.

After he was complete he asked me to not drive the car for a week or so, and I followed his request, with the result being just perfect.

I will also share that if you paint the stripe the car becomes significantly less valuable to any collector going forward. Top dollar is paid for cars that are OEM at most major auctions, otherwise I would have painted mine it is easier.

Best of luck

backdraft

06H0465

Thanks

JW

Hi, I own #86 which needs the entire stripe kit. Go to Ebay and with a search of Shelby GT-H you will find a brand new listing from a company that claims they got the color correct for the over the body portion for a buy it now price of $116. I called and talked with them and they convinced me of the color and cut to match the original shelby stripe. I will give it a go and will post the result on the forum.

Guys, these people do not make the correct stripe and they are unlicensed, please do not talk about unlicensed and unchecked items here. I have removed reference in the other posts

Amy

• 2 months later...

Getting ready to have to the overbody tape stripes removed (see previous posts) and want to have them painted on for longevity. In a previous post the paint code was listed, but now seems to be missing. Noticed there has been some corporate editing of the posts taking place, maybe thats where it disappeared to.

Anyway, anyone have a paint code for the overbody stripes? Can't afford an $800 stripe kit (minus labor), plus dealing with the possible replacement again in the short term if they survive as well as the originals.

Any help is appreciated.

• 2 months later...

Thanks

JW

I have #15 and the strips were dreadful.

Desiced to redo the whole out side of car/ popped the windows etc and painted the decals on appiled clear coat and than a nice wet sand.

Whole car was done with dupont paints.....before decals came off / dupont rep. came out with a spectrum camera and mixed the required paint.

I put myself through college putting Bird Decals and stripes on Pontiac Trans Ams in the 70's The stripes on the Shelby H are not difficult at all to put on, if you do it wet. Dry is a totally different story, I was never talented enough to put them on dry. Unfortunately, the most difficult part is getting the old ones off. They have set outside in the sun and are dry, brittle, and stuck beyond comprehension. I replaced the stripes on my Shelby H this past summer. I let the car set out in the sun during the day and rolled it inside at night. A week to ten days of 95 degrees plus temperatures, softens the vinyl and the glue and makes it a little easier to take off. But they will probably still come off in little pieces, but the pieces will be larger than if you don't let it set out. You will need a lot of single edge razor blades, a little enamel reducer, a hair dryer, and if you can find it, some 3-M decal remover, a light buffer and light compound and the skill to use it, but the most important thing to have is a whole bunch of patience. If you are not a patient person, don’t even start the process. Let someone else do it. One little slip and you will be painting. I agree with Tom G, replacing the stripes is the only way to get the car back in showroom condition, and once done properly, you will be glad you did it.

Gary

Hi JW,

I had the stripes replaced on 06H0016. About $800 for just the over the body stripes ( rocker panels were in very good condition). It was very labor intensive. Stripes can only be purchased from Shelby with some proof of ownership. The entire stripe kit is about $800 to $1000 plus labor of your choice. Even with the local dealers fancy tools I still lost a chip or two of paint from under the stripe which shows with close inspection. In the long run I still think it is the best option to keep the car orginal.

TomG

GT-H 's

I've made my decision to have the stripes all painted. I'm planning on keeping the car pretty much for ever, and I want it to look nice. I received my check from the insurance company from my Terlingua damage and am getting it to the paint shop soon. My car has already been re-striped once by the dealer and had paint touch-ups done, so I don't really think that the long term value will be hurt by painting the stripes. It may, but by then, I probably will not care about the difference if any. Since it's been re-striped once, it can always have stripes put on again if somebody so chose. I already got an entire new front bumper cover, upper and lower grilles, headlights, turn signals, etc. This way I can put my old front end up in my garage for the Terlingua memories. When it's all done, I'll post plenty of pictures.

Getting the stripes redone in vinyl as we speak, decided for now the paint option was a bit pricey...maybe later when the economy improves.

Do have a question for folks with the original GT-H stripes still on their car. As we laid the new stripes on, staying true the entire length of the car to the 9 inch stripes with 1 inch gap, we found that has we went over the trunk and started down the rear, the stripe took on an odd apperance where the lettering is attached to the trunk. Hard to explain but the stripe looked wider at the top, narrower at the bottom, almost like a visual illusion. We took some black tape, narrowed the stripe slightly (8 inches) at that point and the stripe appeared "normal" when viewed directly from the rear of the car. See attached photos. One shows the constant 9 inch stripe (with the odd appearance), other shows the trimmed 8 inch stripe with appears "normal."

My question is, are the stripes in fact 9 inches wide at that point or were they trimmed by Shelby. Can't imagine that's the case................. :headscratch:

post-10784-1229783544_thumb.jpg

post-10784-1229783571_thumb.jpg

post-10784-1229783544_thumb.jpg

post-10784-1229783571_thumb.jpg

Getting the stripes redone in vinyl as we speak, decided for now the paint option was a bit pricey...maybe later when the economy improves.

Do have a question for folks with the original GT-H stripes still on their car. As we laid the new stripes on, staying true the entire length of the car to the 9 inch stripes with 1 inch gap, we found that has we went over the trunk and started down the rear, the stripe took on an odd apperance where the lettering is attached to the trunk. Hard to explain but the stripe looked wider at the top, narrower at the bottom, almost like a visual illusion. We took some black tape, narrowed the stripe slightly (8 inches) at that point and the stripe appeared "normal" when viewed directly from the rear of the car. See attached photos. One shows the constant 9 inch stripe (with the odd appearance), other shows the trimmed 8 inch stripe with appears "normal."

My question is, are the stripes in fact 9 inches wide at that point or were they trimmed by Shelby. Can't imagine that's the case................. :headscratch:

I just measured mine. It is a bit odd. Right where the stripe curves over the trunk lid, it is at 9". When it hits the corner a few inches down, it is at 8 3/4". It stay's at 8 3/4" at the top of the faux gas cap, but then is back to 9" by the bottom of the trunk lid. Interesting. A bit opposite of what you are saying. It IS actually wider at the top of the trunk then just below the lettering, causing even more of an illusion of such. ??? :shrug: Any others out there to measure?

I just measured mine. It is a bit odd. Right where the stripe curves over the trunk lid, it is at 9". When it hits the corner a few inches down, it is at 8 3/4". It stay's at 8 3/4" at the top of the faux gas cap, but then is back to 9" by the bottom of the trunk lid. Interesting. A bit opposite of what you are saying. It IS actually wider at the top of the trunk then just below the lettering, causing even more of an illusion of such. ??? :shrug: Any others out there to measure?

If you have the Tony Branda 65-70 Shelby parts calalog "O", on page 47 there is a story of the Le Mans stripes on early Shelbys. The measurements do change from front to back at every break point to compensate for visual distortion. If the stripes were even, they would actually appear thinner at the far point. On the early cars the strips were 9 1/4 under the grill then started at 9 1/4 on the hood and became 10 1/2 at the windshield. 10 1/2 at the front roof, then 10 3/8 at the back roof. The back end was 10 inches all the way down.

The new ones are the same premise. They change dimensions at each break point to make them look even over the entire length of the car. Just an interesting fact I thought you would enjoy.

If you have the Tony Branda 65-70 Shelby parts calalog "O", on page 47 there is a story of the Le Mans stripes on early Shelbys. The measurements do change from front to back at every break point to compensate for visual distortion. If the stripes were even, they would actually appear thinner at the far point. On the early cars the strips were 9 1/4 under the grill then started at 9 1/4 on the hood and became 10 1/2 at the windshield. 10 1/2 at the front roof, then 10 3/8 at the back roof. The back end was 10 inches all the way down.

The new ones are the same premise. They change dimensions at each break point to make them look even over the entire length of the car. Just an interesting fact I thought you would enjoy.

Correct! I used this diagram:

post-21656-1229986475_thumb.jpg

To paint this car:

post-21656-1229986520_thumb.jpg

I've seen many stripe jobs where the stripes are the exact width over the entire car, and it has the illusion of the stripes narrowing over the roofline!

post-21656-1229986475_thumb.jpg

post-21656-1229986520_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Went with a local vinyl guy for the overbody stripes after weighing paint vs tape option........he did an outstanding job! One thing we did differently than original was to add the stripe to the chin (see photo) as well as the bumper. Definitely completes the look I think. He told me the hardest part of the job was getting the old stripes off they were in such bad shape.....Less than $1000 start to finish.

post-10784-1232407686_thumb.jpg

post-10784-1232407712_thumb.jpg

post-10784-1232407686_thumb.jpg

post-10784-1232407712_thumb.jpg

Went with a local vinyl guy for the overbody stripes after weighing paint vs tape option........he did an outstanding job! One thing we did differently than original was to add the stripe to the chin (see photo) as well as the bumper. Definitely completes the look I think. He told me the hardest part of the job was getting the old stripes off they were in such bad shape.....Less than $1000 start to finish.

Hey Jeff, looks great. Not sure what you mean about the rear bumper.

Archived