TEAM SHELBY FORUM

performance diff btw 5 and 6 speeds

lost my post from yesterday, thought i'd try again...

i was wondering if anyone can explain the difference in performance between a 5 and 6 speed.

and is it possible to upgrade my sgt to a 6 speed - would i want to???

Generally I think the 6 speed is used to narrow the gap between gears making it easier to stay in the sweet spot of the powerband(less RPM loss between gears). They can also give you a wider spread between 1st gear and high gear giving the great gear to get out of the hole and still a reasonable cruising gear. Probably more to it then that I'm sure someone around here knows :)

Best I can tell you is the Tremec that is used in most vehicles,GT500,GTO,Vette,Viper etc has double overdrive for some serious top end action!Don't have ratios handy for either trans.With the 6 speed you could run a 4:10 rear and still do some top end banzai runs.Would actually be better to use a 2:43 rear gear and get a 6 speed with 4 reduction gears,5th would be direct and 6 only as overdrive to keep driveline speed and vibration down.That is the type of set-up used on a lot of german road rockets.I know that the 6 speed in the Vette also yields LOW highway cruising RPM for about 30+ MPG on the highway,Thanks to double overdrive.

Generally I think the 6 speed is used to narrow the gap between gears making it easier to stay in the sweet spot of the powerband(less RPM loss between gears). They can also give you a wider spread between 1st gear and high gear giving the great gear to get out of the hole and still a reasonable cruising gear. Probably more to it then that I'm sure someone around here knows :)

I don't believe this is true. Remember that 4th gear in both transmissions is 1:1...so there are the same number of gears in each trans in the range where one would be racing. The difference is that the 6-speed has TWO overdrive gears. There are two advantages to this.

1) Better fuel economy on the highway due to the 2nd OD gear.

2) The ability to change to a taller differential ratio while still maintaining decent highway drivability.

AD

Archived