TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford BOSS 500 to Power Force Funny Cars

This is great news, and I think good for the sport. THE reason I lost interest in funny cars years ago was when all manufactures used hemi's. Hopefully Chevrolet will follow suit!

• 3 months later...

[ Boss500 ] March 4. 2008

:redcard: Mopar was so popular in top class Drag racing with the HEMI is because of the large open chamber which allowed V / E to be huge. Which again allowed a large extra space left open to be filled by forced induction. Tricking the motor into being larger than normal. It may only be a static 426 cubes. But the V/E plays a huge role in fuel blown race motors. The chambers themselves s :baby: ked . But the ability to have larger valves in your heads than your opponet has in his heads. Gave the advantage to the Hemi. We've all heard the stories back in the day of how a 440 mopar could beat the pants off the street Hemi in a drag race. 440--> :finger: <--HEMI --WHY !! Because the 440 was operating in its natural enviorment. The Hemi's huge ports was better suited to High Bank NASCAR tracks or Blown fuel Racing. Mopar never made plans for this to be happening. The mechanics and grass-roots drag racers found this out. """Mopar just happen to be building Hemi's """ At the time the horsepower wars began. Theres no :hysterical3: Albert Eistein working at mopar during this time either. Talk about being in the right place at the right time. :happy feet: But if I remember right. 1966 Ford owned the TOP FUEL CLASS championship crown. :dance: ""Sneaky Peak Robinson"" owned that. Alot of top fuelers were switching over to 427 SOHC Cammer motors during this time. If you research history in true detail. You'll find Ford ruled in the class's they raced in. :shift: They did there share of WOOP!! - A..!!. But Car magizines had a habit of re-writting history as it happened. Written to make the public beleive there was only two races a year in NHRA. The Winternationals and the Nationals. It still is being reported and written incorrectly today. Present or past. : :rant2: At Least its a FORD HEMI. Not a JP-1 or ARIES or some generic. :hysterical3: NEWS FLASH !!!! NEW PRO STOCK CHEVY HEMI. Developed by IHRA Ford Hemi :dance: King, and sold off to IHRA Chevy :censored: engine builder. Motor has Fords twisted hemi chambers and valve locations. Its a HEMI Ford head with :hysterical3::rant: changed valve covers to keep the chevy guys thinking its modified :fool: LS something. Reminds me of the Car magizine articles I mentioned earlier from the 60's. Full of hidden mis-information. But they all tell the story that these new HEMI heads came from the Chevy Guy. Its sounds like maybe some hush money is involved during contract negotiations to purchase the blueprints of the OLD IHRA ProStock Heads. The NEW ones with the altered valve covers and some iddy bitty changes done to them to upgrade them. Since these heads were first developed back in the early 1990's and used on Ford Pro Stock IHRA motors that were champions 10 years or more. :rant2:

This is great news, and I think good for the sport. THE reason I lost interest in funny cars years ago was when all manufactures used hemi's. Hopefully Chevrolet will follow suit!

:hysterical3: Look to IHRA for your Chevy Hemi heads. :dance: They are ORIGINALLY FORD BOSS HEADS FROM KASSE PRO STOCK HEADS. Head bolt location moved to fit chev pattern. :rant:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

@ELLIS!

The only problem Robinson, Thompson, Dyno Don and other racers had with the Ford 427 SOHC (which was a Hemispherical Headed Engine) was the timing chain losing it's timing at high RPMS and breakage of the chain. They simply remedied the problem with a gear drive! If racers had as many problems with the Ford 427 SOHC as you mention, they wouldn't have even bothered with it!

The Ford 427 SOHC was highly sucessfull in drag racing. If it wasn't for NHRA banning the engine because of protests by whinning Chrysler maggots, the SOHC perhaps would be the King today.

Let's not forget that in '69 NO ONE could beat Mickey Thompsons Mach 1 Nitro FC driven by Danny (on the Gas) Ongais, powered by a FORD 427 SOHC ENGINE. At the request of the whinning maggots at Chrysler/Dodge Corp, Nascar even banned the Ford 427 SOHC (NEVER) allowing it to be run! Chyrsler knew, that if Ford was allowed to run the 427 SOHC they wouldn't have stood a chance. otherwise why complain. Now look at Chysler/Dodge! Belly Up and Being bought out by FIAT! LOL... Justice! FORD WINS.

And lets keep in mind, that the first american HEMI V8 was in fact the FORD Flat Head Ardun HEMI which was built in 1947. Chrysler never had a V8 for their cars until 1951. If you study the FORD ARDUN HEMI HEAD, you'll see that Chysler basically copied many ideas from it. So what goes around comes around! In addtion, the SO CALLED Mopar Hemi that TF is running today, doesn't even resemble the oriignal 426 Hemi. You CAN NOT go to Mopar and buy parts for a TF Engine. So lets be real here! The TF Engine they run today isn't a MOPAR!

It's either a KB, Donovan or some other after market engine.

FORDS New Boss 500 has significant changes to the TF Engine, Block and Heads. And racers will be able to purchase the Boss 500 from FORD and JFR soon. Chrysler hasn't sold a 426 Hemi to TF racers since the early 70s.

All your rhetoric really holds no water. You sound like a person that is extremely upset, knowing that Chrysler will soon become history in Nascar and Drag Racing in the near future. FIAT owns you now! Live with it..... : )

• 3 weeks later...

Where are the rebuttals, where is BOSS 500 and all his fictional Ford win stories; state some facts for a change instead of the kiddy emoticons.

Baa, baa, baa; where are the Ford sheep.

You want facts. When was the last Chrysler Hemi that competed in NHRA? Design, yes, actual motor?? Two posts, go away troll

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know what to believe.... :confused:

Hey ilmor, here's something you can believe; ok, I'll be 78 on 5/21/10. Don't get around much anymore, no I'm in pretty good shape for 78; rolled my 4-wheeler on 4/1/10 and neck is still sore. OK, I got some links below, THE BOSS SCAM with pictures, my early days building/driving diggers and the TRUTH about Ford. I truly love some of the previous remarks.

http://www.thehemi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2848&sid=9003ca78899f5aa8ec9e5d315d4c7271

http://www.nitrogeezers.com/Memories%20-%20Ellis%20Brasher.htm

http://www.allpar.com/ed/2003/ford.html

Hey ilmor, here's something you can believe; ok, I'll be 78 on 5/21/10. Don't get around much anymore, no I'm in pretty good shape for 78; rolled my 4-wheeler on 4/1/10 and neck is still sore. OK, I got some links below, THE BOSS SCAM with pictures, my early days building/driving diggers and the TRUTH about Ford. I truly love some of the previous remarks.

http://www.thehemi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2848&sid=9003ca78899f5aa8ec9e5d315d4c7271

http://www.nitrogeezers.com/Memories%20-%20Ellis%20Brasher.htm

First of all and most importantly, Hope you feel better soon.

Im sure yo are well aware, NHRA would not give Ford the go ahead to start with a clean sheet of paper. So, for you to Trash Ford for something they had no control over doesnt add up, We all understand your point of view, we just dont agree. If this was just a warmed over Chrysler, why was it not a winner right out of the box?

Hemispherical cylinder heads have been used since at least 1901;[2] they were used by the Belgian car maker Pipe in 1905,[3] the Peugeot Grand prix Car of 1912, the Alfa Romeo GP car of 1914, Daimler, and Riley. Stutz built four valve engines, conceptually anticipating modern car engines. The BMW double push rod design, taken over by Bristol Cars, the Peugeot 403 and the Toyota T engine are other well known hemi engines. Harry Arminius Miller racing engines were also a notable example.[4]

And how does Chrysler lay claim to the Hemi design? Flat out, they dont. Facts are facts

• 3 weeks later...

Hey gothemi, thanks for your reply; my guess is you have your head screwed on the right way. In case you read the story about Ford's 100 years of progress and deception and found THE MEMORY HOLE link not working, here's a similar story about Henry and Hitler. You probably are aware that Chrysler developed and tested Hemi aircraft fighter plane engines during WW-2 long before the Ardun appeared which FORD had nothing to do with and it being not much more than a back yard project by the Duntov brothers.

http://www.traces.org/henryford.html

• 2 weeks later...

Hey gothemi, thanks for your reply; my guess is you have your head screwed on the right way. In case you read the story about Ford's 100 years of progress and deception and found THE MEMORY HOLE link not working, here's a similar story about Henry and Hitler. You probably are aware that Chrysler developed and tested Hemi aircraft fighter plane engines during WW-2 long before the Ardun appeared which FORD had nothing to do with and it being not much more than a back yard project by the Duntov brothers.

http://www.traces.org/henryford.html

I guess that since Ford was the first to use the V8, Chrysler copied that. Maybe my history is bad but, I didnt think the dates provided were after WW2. Chrysler was not the original designer of the Hemi combustion chamber, period.

I guess that since Ford was the first to use the V8, Chrysler copied that. Maybe my history is bad but, I didnt think the dates provided were after WW2. Chrysler was not the original designer of the Hemi combustion chamber, period.

In 1939, Chrysler was contracted by the US government to create a new engine for use in fighter aircraft. Chrysler responded by designing an inverted V16, the IV-2220. They tried many designs before choosing a hemispherical combustion chambered OHV head. The big V16 was rated at 2,500 hp (1,900 kW). It was finally tested in June 1945. It was installed in the P-47 Thunderbolt in place of a radial engine. This airplane was designated the XP47H.[5] The change in engine and aerodynamics increased the top speed from 439 mph (707 km/h) to 504 mph (811 km/h). The war ended shortly after the tests, and the hemi V16 was never mass-produced, although the basic design and valvetrain setup live on in today's Hemi V8s.

Yes, your automotive history is quite bad, but it could be improved by reading/studying this article.

And you could possibly learn that there were 3 U. S. autos with V-8 engines before Ford.

And by the way, no one has implied that Chrysler invented the Hemi engine.

A sort of automotive challenge; name one item that Ford ever developed that improved the safety, comfort, convenience or performance of the automobile.

But read the above article first.

Oh, by the way, Henry did get a patent on an anti-kick device for hand cranking in about 1918 when everyone else was working on and improving starters.

In 1939, Chrysler was contracted by the US government to create a new engine for use in fighter aircraft. Chrysler responded by designing an inverted V16, the IV-2220. They tried many designs before choosing a hemispherical combustion chambered OHV head. The big V16 was rated at 2,500 hp (1,900 kW). It was finally tested in June 1945. It was installed in the P-47 Thunderbolt in place of a radial engine. This airplane was designated the XP47H.[5] The change in engine and aerodynamics increased the top speed from 439 mph (707 km/h) to 504 mph (811 km/h). The war ended shortly after the tests, and the hemi V16 was never mass-produced, although the basic design and valvetrain setup live on in today's Hemi V8s.

Yes, your automotive history is quite bad, but it could be improved by reading/studying this article.

http://www.allpar.co.../2003/ford.html

And you could possibly learn that there were 3 U. S. autos with V-8 engines before Ford.

A sort of automotive challenge; name one item that Ford ever developed that improved the safety, comfort, convenience or performance of the automobile.

Oh, by the way, Henry did get a patent on an anti-kick device for hand cranking in about 1918 when everyone else was working on and improving starters.

Your Link doesnt work. Since we have settled the argument that Chrysler didnt invent the Hemi, no need to take this further. We all get you are anti-ford. Just not sure why you bother with TS

http://www.allpar.co.../2003/ford.html

Maybe not first but:

Ford was the first company to use V8s en masse. Instead of going to an inline six like its competitors when something larger than an inline four was needed, Ford designed a modern V8, the Flathead of 1932. This flat head engine powered almost all larger Ford cars through the 1953 production year, and was produced until around 1970 by Ford licensees around the world, with the valve-in-block engine powering mostly commercial vehicles.

And Ford is the only one that didnt put its hands in taxpayers pockets. I would say thats pretty significant

The first "mass produced" V8 engine in the United States was the 1914, 314 cubic inch Cadillac.

Built for the 1915 model Cadillac, it was an impeccable feat of workmanship. It produced seventy

reliable horsepower.

The 1914 flathead Cadillac sold thirteen-thousand units its first year; seventeen years before Ford

began production of their sixty-five horsepower flathead V8 in 1932.

svttim>>>>>""Your Link doesnt work. Since we have settled the argument that Chrysler didnt invent the Hemi, no need to take this further. We all get you are anti-ford. Just not sure why you bother with TS.

Thanks and no problem; I fixed the link and there was no argument about who invented the hemi. If you have not read it, it would sure be worth your time.

svttim>>>>>""Your Link doesnt work. Since we have settled the argument that Chrysler didnt invent the Hemi, no need to take this further. We all get you are anti-ford. Just not sure why you bother with TS.

Thanks and no problem; I fixed the link and there was no argument about who invented the hemi. If you have not read it, it would sure be worth your time.

OK, I read the opinion page from a Chrysler site. Certainly, the Dodge Brothers made significant contributions to the automotive world. All three remaining manufacturers can claim the same at any one point in history. Rewritting history seems to be a pastime of some. By literally saying Ford has made no significant contributions, the author looses all credibility. For example, he talks about the racing ban that was agreed on between Chrysler, Ford and GM. What he doesnt mention is the WELL known fact, GM was ignoring the ban through the back door. No sir, I dont have the best mind when it comes to automotive history. But, I have enough knowledge to know a revisionist when I see it.

And, as I had said, I would never discount the history that Mopar has. Its is a storied and celbrated history. And the Chrysler Hemi (the 392/426) is an autmotive milestone, no doubt. But I also remember what they did to the citzens of my state when the closed the plant they said that they would not close.

• 2 weeks later...

Left Lane: Matt Hagan Runs 4.791/168.68, Now #12; Best prior run: 4.371/275.79, Was #11

Right Lane: Bob Tasca III Runs 4.257/285.29, Now #1; Best prior run: 4.644/212.76, Was #15

Gary Densham is on the bump spot at 4.428 and will not run this session.

It's Ford power again, as Tasca makes a straight and true pass into the new number one position.

Hagan's Charger had better incrementals until just before mid-track, when the tires started to smoke. It got a lot worse quickly, as there is terminal engine damage after that and the cleanup crew has to go to work with some major dusting and cleaning.

Matt Hagan's incremental times: 60ft-0.900 sec., 330ft-2.352, 660ft-3.495/194.97 mph.

Bob Tasca III's incremental times: 60ft-0.923 sec., 330ft-2.377, 660ft-3.409/248.29 mph.

• 2 weeks later...

svttim>>Rewritting history seems to be a pastime of some. By literally saying Ford has made no significant contributions, the author looses all credibility. For example, he talks about the racing ban that was agreed on between Chrysler, Ford and GM. What he doesnt mention is the WELL known fact, GM was ignoring the ban through the back door. No sir, I dont have the best mind when it comes to automotive history. But, I have enough knowledge to know a revisionist when I see it.

I would have thought you would have guessed that I was the author and most anyone should conclude that many, many hours of research and observation went in that story.

And by the way, there's not been a poorer design engine than the flathead V-8 built in the U.S. Very poorly designed for breathing ability which is the limiting factor for power. Unheard of poor design for engine cooling what with the exhaust routed through the block and between the cylinders, everyone that tried to use them under heavy load complained of overheating.

Many disgruntled Ford fans complain about the so called "backdoor" policy, but they furnish no proof. There was indeed no reason or need for a "backdoor" policy especially with the advent of the SBC which by the way, it and it's descendants have won more races than all the others put together. Ford finally built a decent performance engine when they copied the SBC.

And you say I rewrote history and have no credibility. I named many "significant" improvements for the engine and automobile that Ford had nothing to do with except copy.

I also challenged you or any other reader to name one "significant" item that Ford has credit for that improved the safety, comfort and performance of the automobile. Unless you can offer something worthwhile, then perhaps the credibility shoe is on another foot.

svttim>>Rewritting history seems to be a pastime of some. By literally saying Ford has made no significant contributions, the author looses all credibility. For example, he talks about the racing ban that was agreed on between Chrysler, Ford and GM. What he doesnt mention is the WELL known fact, GM was ignoring the ban through the back door. No sir, I dont have the best mind when it comes to automotive history. But, I have enough knowledge to know a revisionist when I see it.

I would have thought you would have guessed that I was the author and most anyone should conclude that many, many hours of research and observation went in that story.

And by the way, there's not been a poorer design engine than the flathead V-8 built in the U.S. Very poorly designed for breathing ability which is the limiting factor for power. Unheard of poor design for engine cooling what with the exhaust routed through the block and between the cylinders, everyone that tried to use them under heavy load complained of overheating.

Many disgruntled Ford fans complain about the so called "backdoor" policy, but they furnish no proof. There was indeed no reason or need for a "backdoor" policy especially with the advent of the SBC which by the way, it and it's descendants have won more races than all the others put together. Ford finally built a decent performance engine when they copied the SBC.

And you say I rewrote history and have no credibility. I named many "significant" improvements for the engine and automobile that Ford had nothing to do with except copy.

I also challenged you or any other reader to name one "significant" item that Ford has credit for that improved the safety, comfort and performance of the automobile. Unless you can offer something worthwhile, then perhaps the credibility shoe is on another foot.

OK, it was Ford that went to DOT to improve headlight design that is used by every manufacturer

Chrysler has done such an outstand job, they have gone broke twice. Outstanding record!

svttim>>>""OK, it was Ford that went to DOT to improve headlight design that is used by every manufacturer""

BINGO!!!, My hat is off to the first ever Ford fan that I challenged that was aware of that fact; I did know the year Ford introe'd the first sealed beams, but like lots of other things, I'm forgetting, but don't laugh, you'll get there. Thanks for knowing.

Now, see if you can tell, who had a car engine with 39 inch long connecting rods? Smokey Yunick would probably went nuts over it.

Chrysler has done such an outstand job, they have gone broke twice. Outstanding record!

It is very possible that a company can "QUALITY" themselves into bankruptcy. Here's a little oddity for the folks that think Henry had the original idea for automatic transmissions.

Ford was so impressed with the Torqueflite that it attempted to quietly buy the rights to manufacture a sort of "copycat." The story, however, was quickly picked up by the automotive magazines. Ford reportedly had paid Chrysler $7.5 million, which was a big chunk of change in 1957! The direct result was the 1958 Ford built "Cruise-O-Matic" that was available on all standard Ford engines. It was not, however, a Torqueflite, but a Ford automatic built around the Simpson gear set. It was heavier, with more parts, keeping the Ford derived clutch band controls. Early models, especially those put behind "performance" engines liked to split the case, right down the middle! It was a problem that plagued Ford for a couple of years until the redesign incorporated into the 1961 models. In all fairness, however, in fleet applications, for the most part, the Cruise-O-Matic was reliable, and gave little trouble with regular maintenance. It certainly outshone Chevrolet's 1957 "Turboglide."

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/torqueflite.html

Archived