TEAM SHELBY FORUM

OEM Tires

RUFDRAFT

Does anyone have any experience with these Goodyear Supercar tires?

The last Goodyears I had on a Ford - sucked.

I recently put about 7k on some Toyo TR1's and couldn't even see any wear. And I never had a better tire in the rain. They were 285x30x19s.

My sense here is that I should be looking at TireRack real soon - as the Goodyears won't last long.

Any recommendations for replacements? Summer tires - and hydroplaning is important around here. :shift:

I recently put about 7k on some Toyo TR1's and couldn't even see any wear. And I never had a better tire in the rain. They were 285x30x19s.

My sense here is that I should be looking at TireRack real soon - as the Goodyears won't last long.

Any recommendations for replacements? Summer tires - and hydroplaning is important around here. :shift:

For what it's worth, I do not care for Goodyears for a few reasons, and have had a great deal of enjoyment and luck with using B.F. Goodrich Comp T/A 's. I run them on both my Marauder and my 87' vert, and both cars handle excellent in wet and dry conditions and they seem to last forever. That's my 2-cents on the subject.

I live in Portland, OR, so I have just as much, or more, concern for wet handling and hydroplaning. The BFGs on my Cobra SUCKED. They were okay in the dry, but I spun my car 180 on two separate occasions in the wet with those damn things, they wore out fast, and they howled like banshees from half wear until I couldn't take it anymore. I bought Firestone SZ-50s, and I've loved every mile. They have been by far the best rain performance tire I've ever driven. But... They don't make them anymore. The replacement for them is a Potenza Pole Position, but I haven't run them so I can't vouch for them.

I've never run a Goodyear tire. I'll run them for a while, and then start researching. You have to love all the info on Tirerack.

My 2003 Corvette had the Goodyear F1 Supercar tires on it from the factory. I heard complaints about them going 5-7k and being bald. Yeah....perhaps, if you run the crap out of it at every stoplight! But, I drove normally...lots of local...with a little highway...and some abuse. I got nearly 30k out of the rears, and only replaced all 4 for consistency. As for hydroplaning, it was my daily driver. I found the channels to be more than enough to clear the water. When it came to snow....I either took the EL or IF I drove the 'vette, I put sandbags in the back. It was OK in light snow, but remember, the wider the tire, the more "push" you have for water, snow, locusts, whatever......channeling moves water under and through....it doesn't do jack for snow. Snow just fills in the channels and becomes a slick.

The GT500's front weight bias and 4X4 stance should make it a :censored: in light snow. My first mod is to lower the butt of that thing to at least attempt to shift the CG a touch. That....and a good quality trunk liner to keep the sand out of the carpet. For those of you that checked off the Shaker 1000 option, you won't need the sandbags. :elefant:

:shift:

bj

One word!!! Nitto

http://www.nittotire.com/

Friend started racing on Nitto's in Ottawa (ZO6) and just an awesome tire...depends on what your planning on doing...

Hope this helps...I plan on getting em

Cheers,

Requis

One word!!! Nitto

http://www.nittotire.com/

Friend started racing on Nitto's in Ottawa (ZO6) and just an awesome tire...depends on what your planning on doing...

Hope this helps...I plan on getting em

Cheers,

Requis

That's my suggestion. I've been running these for three summers now and they handle amazing. 555RII are the one's I run. Wet driving is not so good and the 100 treadwear make them real sticky in the corners. Then again I don't drive the car daily.

I live in Portland, OR, so I have just as much, or more, concern for wet handling and hydroplaning.

I, too, live in the beautiful (and often wet) Pacific NW. The factory Goodyear ZR's on my Mach 1 suck - dry or wet. I recently installed 275/40/17 Pirelli PZero Nero M+S tires and am just floored at how good they work. They stick better in the rain than the factory tires worked on dry pavement! And the grip is pretty good on dry pavement with the Pirellis, too. There are better summer tires out there, but I can't imagine a better all-season performance tire when it starts raining.

I'm sure many GT500's won't be driven in the rain, but us poor working-class guys have to drive our toys daily - rain, sleet, snow, etc.

Archived