TEAM SHELBY FORUM

stripe replacement

dfm

Has anyone replace any stripes on a GT500? How do you get the old ones off? My 2008 has a very small damage area to the upper right bumper stripe about 1/8 of a inch in size. Is there any way to fix it without replacing the stripe?

We had a ordered unit ( GT500 ) come in with minimal damage on the front bumper. Its important to re order the stripes from FoMoCo to replace them. These are specially made with a clear coat finish on the stripe.

You can get ther replacement stripes from your Ford store and have them get there stripe guy take off the old stripes and put the new ones on

Has anyone replace any stripes on a GT500? How do you get the old ones off? My 2008 has a very small damage area to the upper right bumper stripe about 1/8 of a inch in size. Is there any way to fix it without replacing the stripe?

There is some grit under the stripes on my cars rear bumper and the Dealer ordered

a complete trunk lid and bumper stripe kit to replace under warranty. No promise from

the dealer when they will get it.................

I've noticed little dirt bubbles under my stripes too.

Something else I found to be a little strange,

The stripe on the trunk lid, under the 3rd break light & above the emblem ... where there is little bump out in the lid,

I can see & feel that the stripes are overlapped. Is this normal?

Nowhere else on the tape line can I find an overlap except on the trunk lid bump out.

The other thing is that the Lid Stripe is short in comparison to some others, so why the Cut & Overlap?

I know they trim the up & over roll of the lid so the stripe doesn't crease, but the overlap makes me think they screwed up when they put my strips on.

I'm going to check with the dealer as well to see if they will replace the stripes.

I've noticed little dirt bubbles under my stripes too.

Something else I found to be a little strange,

The stripe on the trunk lid, under the 3rd break light & above the emblem ... where there is little bump out in the lid,

I can see & feel that are stripes are over lapped. Is this normal?

Nowhere else on the tape line can I find an overlap except on the trunk lid bump out.

The other thing is that the Lid Stripe is short in comparison to some others, so why the Cut & Overlap?

I know they trim the up & over roll of the lid so the stripe doesn't crease, but the over lap makes me think they screwed up when they put my strips on.

I'm going to check with the dealer as well to see if they will replace the stripes.

All GT500s I have seen have the overlap as mine dous too. You will also see overlap

on the front bumper.

To answer your question specifically.

"Is there any way to fix it without replacing the stripe?"

Since the spot is only 1/8 inch in size, you could try taking some Ford "performance White" Touch up paint and touch it up. That touch up paint color is an exact match. It might be worth a try and if you don't like it, just have it replaced.

I put factory stripes on my vert myself. It is a pain so if you can get it done under warranty I suggest doing it. The overlaps are normal. When ordered through the dealer you should normally be able to get them in a couple of days but mine have taken as long as a week. To remove the stripes get a set of tweezers and grab a corner and start pulling. They have adhesive backing and can be removed just by pulling them off. You will destroy them when you remove them so do not start unless you intend to remove them completely. Let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to provide any insight I can.

My experience with replacing stripes has not been so good. I noticed shortly after I took delivery of my Shelby that one of the stripes on the hood had a spot on the end that was not sticking to the car. It was in the middle of the stripe so I was hoping the dealer could find a way to make it stick. Unfortunately when the body shop was trying to repair the stripe they damaged it and the entire stripe had to be replaced. This is where the fun starts.

The dealer ordered a new stripe and put it on the car but it didn't match the existing stripes. It was obvious that the new stripe was a touch darker than the other stripes on the car. They ordered a second set of stripes for the hood and they match the new ones but not the original ones. Ford has recommended that they replace all of the stripes on the car as they can not guarantee a match any other way. I had hoped if they replaced just the ones on the hood the distance from the bumper to the roof would be enough that you couldn't notice the difference but after seeing it on Saturday that is not the case.

I will need to decide on Monday whether to accept the car as is or have them replace all of the stripes. What a nightmare.

My experience with replacing stripes has not been so good. I noticed shortly after I took delivery of my Shelby that one of the stripes on the hood had a spot on the end that was not sticking to the car. It was in the middle of the stripe so I was hoping the dealer could find a way to make it stick. Unfortunately when the body shop was trying to repair the stripe they damaged it and the entire stripe had to be replaced. This is where the fun starts.

The dealer ordered a new stripe and put it on the car but it didn't match the existing stripes. It was obvious that the new stripe was a touch darker than the other stripes on the car. They ordered a second set of stripes for the hood and they match the new ones but not the original ones. Ford has recommended that they replace all of the stripes on the car as they can not guarantee a match any other way. I had hoped if they replaced just the ones on the hood the distance from the bumper to the roof would be enough that you couldn't notice the difference but after seeing it on Saturday that is not the case.

I will need to decide on Monday whether to accept the car as is or have them replace all of the stripes. What a nightmare.

I was afraid of something like this. (That's why I logged on to check.) I accidently nicked the edge of my right trunk stripe with my fingernail when the trunk slipped from my hand while lifting it. :banghead: Took a very small, less than 1/4 by 1/8 nick out. I may just go ahead and order a complete set of stripes and hold onto them for later. I'm sure another nick or two will come.

I also had to have Ford order new stripe kit for the hood and the front bumper. I can't believe that they let it leave with the stripes both srewed up around the air vents on the hood. It also had a bad spot othe drivers side hood. The front bumper had a discolored (blue strips) on the drivers side strip. These were very obvious and can't understand why Ford would have let it leave the factory that way

2008 GT500 White/Blue Strips

Recieved 11/6/2007

It appears that replacing stripes should not be as difficult as it has been for me. Thanks to help from another member on this board we were able to figure out that the dealership was ordering the wrong stripes. The white stripes on the '08s are oxford white and the white stripes on the '07s are performance white. There is a big difference between the two. The dealership I have been working with was ordering the '07 stripes and they told me there were no stripes for just the '08 listed. They were wrong. Now that we have the correct stripes they match with no problems. The secret is that your order the correct year stripes.

It appears that replacing stripes should not be as difficult as it has been for me. Thanks to help from another member on this board we were able to figure out that the dealership was ordering the wrong stripes. The white stripes on the '08s are oxford white and the white stripes on the '07s are performance white. There is a big difference between the two. The dealership I have been working with was ordering the '07 stripes and they told me there were no stripes for just the '08 listed. They were wrong. Now that we have the correct stripes they match with no problems. The secret is that your order the correct year stripes.

Very cool! I did not know of the stripe color change!

Very nice to know indeed! Now I may just go ahead and order that right trunk stripe! Thanks!

So, if I read this correctly, stripes can be ordered for only the bumper(s)? That would be good because I've managed to scratch mine in 2 places just below the trunk lid - a very vulnerable area!

So, if I read this correctly, stripes can be ordered for only the bumper(s)? That would be good because I've managed to scratch mine in 2 places just below the trunk lid - a very vulnerable area!

Yes you can order many of the stripes as an individual piece. In some instances you have to buy both stripes (left and right) as a set on the same sheet of paper. I think the one that goes on the front of the bumper and the lower below the grill come as a set but the stripes on the top of the bumper can be purchased separately.

Archived