TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Sinking Trunk Floor

Well it looks like this forum is coming to life. Need some advice. Without a spare tire, the trunk floor on my SGT keeps slipping down and falling under the very shallow tabs of the inside plastic panel holding it up. It then requires some peeling back of the panel to get it back into position. I carry a folding scooter for my wife and though it isn't that heavy, it probably moves the floor around every time I take a fast turn. Has anyone come up with a solution to keep the floor from falling in? Thanks for any help.

Well it looks like this forum is coming to life. Need some advice. Without a spare tire, the trunk floor on my SGT keeps slipping down and falling under the very shallow tabs of the inside plastic panel holding it up. It then requires some peeling back of the panel to get it back into position. I carry a folding scooter for my wife and though it isn't that heavy, it probably moves the floor around every time I take a fast turn. Has anyone come up with a solution to keep the floor from falling in? Thanks for any help.

would something like this work? I didn't see any shelby logo's but the mustang logo looks good. It seems to be reinforced so should help with sinking and they claim it helps things from sliding around back there with the gripper material.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida...01&comp=LRS

You should have a threaded rod w/ a rubber or plastic bumper on top of it which supports the carpeted trunk floor. The threaded rod is screwed into the hole which would normally be used for the spare tire hold-down. Do you not have one of these?

I'd probably fabricate a plywood panel, have it covered and install a handle (or two) for removal. If you don't have the tools then any custom auto interior shop could make one for you. Materials would be cheap and it would not take but a couple hours of labor.

Cheap and easy way out....take an empty clean 5 gallon plastic bucket, measure the distance from the bottom of spare tire area to the bottom of the cardboard/masonite cover. Then use a saws all to cut the bucket to the height you just measured. Make sure you cut off the material from the open end of the bucket so you have the rigidity of the bottom still.

Cheap and easy way out....take an empty clean 5 gallon plastic bucket, measure the distance from the bottom of spare tire area to the bottom of the cardboard/masonite cover. Then use a saws all to cut the bucket to the height you just measured. Make sure you cut off the material from the open end of the bucket so you have the rigidity of the bottom still.

Thanks everyone. This might work. The rubber mat idea won't keep the trunk floor from sliding forward and neither does the little cap on the end of the threaded post. Another idea I might try is to put velcro on the little cap and on the underside of the trunk floor and see if this is enough to hold things in place.

that would probably make a lot of noise, but perhaps you could put rubber hose around the lip or something to keep it from sliding. I like the plywood cover idea better. I am a woodworker hobbyist...I'd recommend baltic birch 1/2" plywood, and use some type of finish to protect it and keep it from splintering. Depends on how fancy you want to get. Simple = clear polyurethane. Complex = paint it Ford blue, buy an emblem of some type to apply, then clearcoat the entire thing in either poly or water-based acrylic clear depending on the type of paint you used.

AD

Thanks everyone. This might work. The rubber mat idea won't keep the trunk floor from sliding forward and neither does the little cap on the end of the threaded post. Another idea I might try is to put velcro on the little cap and on the underside of the trunk floor and see if this is enough to hold things in place.

Hope you find a solution, I can see how this could get really annoying. If I see anything else I think may work I will post or PM you.

Archived