TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Introduction the Shelby Terlingua Mustang

robertlane

where could I find more info on he history of the Terlingua racing team?

We will be coming out with some more info and photos is the next week or so on the Terlingua, I will see if I can get a story on the history from Shelby that I can post.

I just want to know where I can get one!

These will be available soon at our Mod Shops (Tasca Ford (Rhode Island) and Quantum Performance (Dallas, Texas).

These will be serialized cars, and the car will be scaleable from a base car (striping, handling, etc) to a full-blown SCCA-ready car (blown, sidepipes, deep draw hood, Momo Seats, etc).

AND you can build a base car and keep improving it. The car looks great, sounds great, and drives great.

We'll have more soon. Thanks for hanging in there, just remember it's our newest baby, so we want to do it right!

Chris

:redcard: Ok, I'll be the "Emperor Has No Clothes Guy" what ever, that is one UGLY car. You guys really can't honestly think that's an attractive car. I mean it looks like something someone threw together using a Mustang and spare Ferrari parts. Hey, flame me if you will but I really hate the Italian car looking logo. I'm sure it's fast and I'm sure it has some cool parts etc., but you can keep the rest including the name no one can pronounce. I'm really shocked people like this. I guess I need my head examined cause it does NOTHING for me.

Well, there may be several reasons for your bewilderment. One might be that Detroit is about as far away as possible from the Big Bend region of Texas, both geographically and culturally speaking. Another is that many younger folk know little or nothing about the original group of guys on the Terlingua Racing Team and what they did for American sports car racing. The logo you don't like isn't meant to be liked. It is, as pdrake said, a "not-so-tongue-in-cheek" slap at the pretty boys of road racing. Same with the choice of paint schemes. They were supposed to be "in your face".

This was a group of guys that knew how to build fast cars and drive them better than anyone else, period.

Oh yeah, and drink tequila without the crushed ice and cocktail mix..... :superhero:

These will be available soon at our Mod Shops (Tasca Ford (Rhode Island) and Quantum Performance (Dallas, Texas).

These will be serialized cars, and the car will be scaleable from a base car (striping, handling, etc) to a full-blown SCCA-ready car (blown, sidepipes, deep draw hood, Momo Seats, etc).

AND you can build a base car and keep improving it. The car looks great, sounds great, and drives great.

We'll have more soon. Thanks for hanging in there, just remember it's our newest baby, so we want to do it right!

Chris

Chris,

When you say SCCA, are you saying that these will be homologated?

Does this mean "turn-key" with roll cages and fire extinguishing systems and fuel cells?

Info, my man!!!! info!

edit: none of the above are mentioned in the Hero Card, will they be available? And, Can we provide any '05 or newer v6 donor to be converted or does it have to be an '08 new car?

Shelby Terlingua Mustang

terlingua_hero_card.jpg

Click here for the article and photos.

We'll be adding more content. The official press release is in 2 hours.

This is one bad a** :censored: Shelby! Maybe might have to get one of these to go with my 08 Shelby GT :waiting:

Chris

Chris, do you know which of the Keith Craft Racing 408FEs will be used (i.e. econo, standard or competition) as the base for the '67 Terlingua continuation series builds*, and will the bullit-proof Shelby alloy FE block also be available as an option as it is on the other Keith Craft FE builds?

Sounds like Terlingua will be doing some cool stuff!! ;-)

*<from SU Terlingua article>For “old school” Terlingua Racing Team fans, Shelby Automobiles and Neale also introduced a 1967 Terlingua continuation model Mustang that was revamped with modern technology. On the exterior, the car looks like the vintage 1967 Trans Am race car driven by Jerry Titus and Ken Miles; under the sheet metal, it is serious new age performance. From the authentic paint scheme to the 525 horsepower 408 c.i.d engine, the car is all business. Only a few of these cars, with a MSRP beginning at approximately $99,500, will be built annually under contract by Keith Craft Motorsports. Each will receive a Shelby serial number that will be registered in an official Shelby Automobiles registry.

Btw, Ford did feature an all-new '67 mustang chassis & Body manufacturer at SEMA -- if I can find the name I'll post it ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

so the terlingua is basically an upgraded CS6........for about 8k over msrp where the CS6 is after labour 25 to 30 k over the V6 msrp...........how long will the cs6 cars survive seeing as for the 8 k it is also registered like the shelby GT as a SHELBY where the people who spent 15 to 20 over the price of a base v6 are screwed

• 1 month later...
Well...well...well.....I don't know who you are but I'm very surprised that someone else besides a CS owner arrived at this conclusion !

This vehicle is a sore spot with us CS6 owners for exactly that reason......they built a better all round vehicle with upgraded everything and a functional hood on a V6 platform which except for the paint scheme looks very much like a CS6 and are selling it completely certified and registered Shelby out the door for what it cost me to to purchase the CS6 component parts and have them shipped here. (18K for a completed Terlingua are the numbers I have seen)

On top of the original kit pricing I paid another 10K + to get everything installed and painted.

It also didn't help the cause when they reduced the CS6 kit price by several thousand dollars from what we paid a year or so ago and the icing on the cake is none of us have ever received our dash plaques or certificates of authenticity we were promised.

When we all inquired about having one of these CS6 cars built at SAI and registered It was advised point blank that this would never happen so we invested in this CS6 program and struggled to get these vehicles assembled with nothing but each other to work out installation problems & issues.....but here we are a year or so later and they are building an almost identical vehicle with upgraded components, more hp, functional hood certified and registered.

To date....these are still on-going issues with SAI.

So not all "Shelby" experiences are favorable ones...............Oh yes.....by the way.......thanks for opening this can-o-worms again..lol.....

Normally, I read most of these sites for quite a while and have very little to contribute, so I don't register to post... but this one has my interest since I'm comparing the CS6/8 to the Terlingua for a future purchase. So count me in as another non-CS owner that has noticed this stuff. However, there seems to be a bunch of half-information out there about the Terlingua that perhaps someone can clarify.

First off, I don't mean to shrug off your frustration with SAI, as I would probably feel the same way (and I won't even touch the issue about the undelivered plaques/certificates which really is an issue for lawyers), but this is a car company you're talking about. They can be heartless as the next company when trying to sell products, especially future ones. I've been burned by others the same way, but that's just our American way for better and worse, despite whatever heartstrings are attached to the Shelby name.

So here are my observations/questions/presumptions:

1. Yes, the Terlingua is a next gen CS6, one which SAI has removed the "kit" tag by offering to sell as whole car (hence the CSM# which requires as specific model year). So is the requirement from SAI that one must purchase a new 2008 V6 Mustang for conversion? (I am also aware that the CSM# is the carrot to lure business to their licensed shops in TX and RI.)

2. Price: the official quote is for $8K which I presume is for the non-superchared version (based on the photo gallery, it's the one painted primarily god-awful-yellow). The labor and paint would be extra, so that is how I understand your statement of $18K out the door. So my logic is that the supercharged version would go for $13K as with the full CS6 kit, and labor adding another $3K or so, bringing the full bore package price to $26K out the door.

3. V8 version: I'm guessing like others that a CS8 version of the Terlingua will happen in 2009 (I realize SAI will say nothing so as to not sabotage 2008 sales), and that is the one I'm really interested in. Because as a fan of the original Terlingua Shelby Mustangs, it's about the V8 pony car and that's the one more easily raced today based on the numerous classes out there.

-Tom

Well...well...well.....I don't know who you are but I'm very surprised that someone else besides a CS owner arrived at this conclusion !

This vehicle is a sore spot with us CS6 owners for exactly that reason......they built a better all round vehicle with upgraded everything and a functional hood on a V6 platform which except for the paint scheme looks very much like a CS6 and are selling it completely certified and registered Shelby out the door for what it cost me to to purchase the CS6 component parts and have them shipped here. (18K for a completed Terlingua are the numbers I have seen)

On top of the original kit pricing I paid another 10K + to get everything installed and painted.

It also didn't help the cause when they reduced the CS6 kit price by several thousand dollars from what we paid a year or so ago and the icing on the cake is none of us have ever received our dash plaques or certificates of authenticity we were promised.

When we all inquired about having one of these CS6 cars built at SAI and registered It was advised point blank that this would never happen so we invested in this CS6 program and struggled to get these vehicles assembled with nothing but each other to work out installation problems & issues.....but here we are a year or so later and they are building an almost identical vehicle with upgraded components, more hp, functional hood certified and registered.

To date....these are still on-going issues with SAI.

So not all "Shelby" experiences are favorable ones...............Oh yes.....by the way.......thanks for opening this can-o-worms again..lol.....

At least your car looks good. Got pics?

Normally, I read most of these sites for quite a while and have very little to contribute, so I don't register to post... but this one has my interest since I'm comparing the CS6/8 to the Terlingua for a future purchase. So count me in as another non-CS owner that has noticed this stuff. However, there seems to be a bunch of half-information out there about the Terlingua that perhaps someone can clarify.

First off, I don't mean to shrug off your frustration with SAI, as I would probably feel the same way (and I won't even touch the issue about the undelivered plaques/certificates which really is an issue for lawyers), but this is a car company you're talking about. They can be heartless as the next company when trying to sell products, especially future ones. I've been burned by others the same way, but that's just our American way for better and worse, despite whatever heartstrings are attached to the Shelby name.

So here are my observations/questions/presumptions:

1. Yes, the Terlingua is a next gen CS6, one which SAI has removed the "kit" tag by offering to sell as whole car (hence the CSM# which requires as specific model year). So is the requirement from SAI that one must purchase a new 2008 V6 Mustang for conversion? (I am also aware that the CSM# is the carrot to lure business to their licensed shops in TX and RI.)

You do not have to have a new '08 vehicle. I have been told that any '05 or newer v6 can be converted.

2. Price: the official quote is for $8K which I presume is for the non-superchared version (based on the photo gallery, it's the one painted primarily god-awful-yellow). The labor and paint would be extra, so that is how I understand your statement of $18K out the door. So my logic is that the supercharged version would go for $13K as with the full CS6 kit, and labor adding another $3K or so, bringing the full bore package price to $26K out the door.

The $8k price is the "conversion" price on top of your purchas eof the original vehicle.

3. V8 version: I'm guessing like others that a CS8 version of the Terlingua will happen in 2009 (I realize SAI will say nothing so as to not sabotage 2008 sales), and that is the one I'm really interested in. Because as a fan of the original Terlingua Shelby Mustangs, it's about the V8 pony car and that's the one more easily raced today based on the numerous classes out there.

As far as a v8 version...... :shrug: I have heard that some kind of "new" anouncement is eminent (GT350....?) But don't know.

-Tom

As far as the ill will of the CS6/8 folks, I'm not in their shoes so it's hard for me to relate. I don't know their "rest of the story".

Archived