TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SS Style Bar For Verts

JimC

I know they are not intended to be roll bars or add protection in the event of a roll over. Having said that, I have found two different types for convertibles.

One that is a steel bar bolts to the floor, not removable but helps support the frame.

The other has plastic, a break light bar and is removable and basicly for looks.

Would it add any value i.e. frame support and safety to use the steel style bar?

Not sure what issue’s there could be with either but if I had my rather’s, I’d rather have the steel tube one that adds frame support.

Form what I can see they are both very close in price.

What is your take on them?

Inquiring minds.

Thanks

JimC.

triple blk vert, no strips.

Most of the style bars have a metal tube surrounded by a vinyl covering. The usually have an allen screw which tightens them onto a tube support that is bolted to the seat belt pillar. They do add some structural support - for example, they keep the seat belt pillars from flexing inward towards each other. I suspect that they may also add some roll over protection but they have NOT been tested for this and in certain casees (car inverted and traveling backwards where the bar might collapse towards the windshield) they may actually be more dangerous.

Most of the style bars have a metal tube surrounded by a vinyl covering. The usually have an allen screw which tightens them onto a tube support that is bolted to the seat belt pillar. They do add some structural support - for example, they keep the seat belt pillars from flexing inward towards each other. I suspect that they may also add some roll over protection but they have NOT been tested for this and in certain casees (car inverted and traveling backwards where the bar might collapse towards the windshield) they may actually be more dangerous.

Good post and very true. Any of the light bars are cosmetic at best and NOT intended for any roll over protection. That said, if you are to install one, I would at the very least make sure it is of some quality, ties into the seat pillar, and fits nice under the top. With or without lights, another option, I would opt without as I do not like the light, nor do I want to hassle with hooking it up to the wiring. I think there are several posts here that show these kits, and regardless, they involve cutting into the original plastic parts inside the car. I was going to install one, but think I will wait, see what others do, check on prices to buy new plastic to cut and install with the light bar, so I can keep the originals. Good luck! Let us know what you decide.

Good post and very true. Any of the light bars are cosmetic at best and NOT intended for any roll over protection. That said, if you are to install one, I would at the very least make sure it is of some quality, ties into the seat pillar, and fits nice under the top. With or without lights, another option, I would opt without as I do not like the light, nor do I want to hassle with hooking it up to the wiring. I think there are several posts here that show these kits, and regardless, they involve cutting into the original plastic parts inside the car. I was going to install one, but think I will wait, see what others do, check on prices to buy new plastic to cut and install with the light bar, so I can keep the originals. Good luck! Let us know what you decide.

He, raises a good point here.

The light can be a problem to people in the back seat, glare. I agree with the cutting part don't want any un-necessary hole in my car.

Plus any thing that is put up and taking down that has wiring is just one more thing to go wrong or break later on.

Another concideration, the bigger or bulkier it is, the harder it will be to store, and harder for people to get in and out of the back seat.

Mostly I agree- no lights - please please no useless glittery junk, it may make it look cheep and if you are using voltage you are using hp to make that voltage , maybe just a small amount but every little bit make a difference. Yes I know nit picking the power issue.

Think of it this way, no light less time to install less cost.

Thanks for responding

JimC

He, raises a good point here.

The light can be a problem to people in the back seat, glare. I agree with the cutting part don't want any un-necessary hole in my car.

Plus any thing that is put up and taking down that has wiring is just one more thing to go wrong or break later on.

Another concideration, the bigger or bulkier it is, the harder it will be to store, and harder for people to get in and out of the back seat.

Mostly I agree- no lights - please please no useless glittery junk, it may make it look cheep and if you are using voltage you are using hp to make that voltage , maybe just a small amount but every little bit make a difference. Yes I know nit picking the power issue.

Think of it this way, no light less time to install less cost.

Thanks for responding

JimC

check with or (PM) ORF or GT500flyboy I think one of them have this on there car & can tell you more about how it & how it goes in the car.

I have a Classic Design Concepts (CDC) lightbar. If you get the brake light, it comes wired and attaches to the up/down vert top motor. It is smart and knows to only come on when the top is down. When up, no brake light. I want all the help I can get with all the dummy drivers out there nowadays!

In case you want to see how they go in:

http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com/tech_...Bar_Install.pdf

I have the CDC bar and am quite happy with it. As I recall, there was an issue with the convertible top chafing against the side of the light bar and CDC published a "fix" which essentially just entailed putting a tie wrap on each side to keep the top away from the bar. It's pretty easy to do and virtually invisible.

The install is pretty easy, here is a link to the instructions: Light Bar Install

That being said, if I had to do it over, I would get the two-tone bar here: MRT

I think that one looks nicer.

Scott

Archived