TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1967 -68 restomods

rown4au

Hi guys,

I was hoping some of the mustang experts could help me out with some info and suggestions. I have been a mustang lover for years (as is my wife) but for a variety of reasons have not yet taken the plunge. After squirreling away some cash for a while I am thinking about finally buying one in the next 6-12 months but I want to make sure that the reality lives up to the dream. I am on the list for an 08 Supernake with shelby and even have a refundable deposit with a dealer for the base car but I wasn't overly impressed by the write up it just got in Road in Track and I kind of think the 67-68 fastbacks just have more of a cool factor as well. It also helps that management (my wife) prefers the looks of the older cars...

I have been doing a fair bit of research into restomods on the net for 68 and 69 and was toying with the idea of having one built by one of the specialty shops that do these. Is there any that you would suggest as far as build quality, price, performance, and your own experience with the shop or their handiwork? How do these cars handle/perform when compared to a modern day Shelby/Roush/Saleen? I see some are putting in the independent rear ends out of the later cobra R models, does this make a big difference in the handling of the car?

I am probably living in a dream world but I would love to find a way to get a classic stang with the performance and handling of a top end modern car. (for those among the mustang faithful this offends I apologize in advance)

I am not looking for an original Shelby as I want to be able to drive the car and enjoy it without worrying that I am destoying the value of a rare icon.

By the way although I currently live in the UK I will probably be back in the Northeast USA when I will be looking to buy the car.

Thanks for your help;

Jaime

Sounds like your looking for something like Shelby and unique performance put out. Check out the attached link

http://www.uniqueperformance.com/GT500SR.aspx

I have heard some mixed things about Unique Performance and something about them having a major falling out with Shelby? Great looking car but the price is more than a little scary.

These guys looked pretty good http://www.classic-recreations.com/ has anyone had any experience with them or their products?

• 4 weeks later...
I have heard some mixed things about Unique Performance and something about them having a major falling out with Shelby? Great looking car but the price is more than a little scary.

These guys looked pretty good http://www.classic-recreations.com/ has anyone had any experience with them or their products?

Jaime, I don't have any personal experience with Classic Recreations but they do use the same new '67 Dynacorn body as Classic Design Concepts who were invited by Ford to display their '67 "Flashback" in the Ford tent at SEMA this year (a great recommendation, imo, since Ford only invites competant builders). They had one in-primer hanging over the finished car too ;-)

I posted some pics/info in the SEMA thread here. Check out posts #4 ('67 fFlashback) and #6 (2+2). Notice also the use of a fully computerized modular in the '67 Flashback ...the 2+2 uses a FRP Boss crate motor.

I suspect the message Ford is trying to send is that restomods with modern reliability have come of age and you can have 'em built with new parts and FRP engines roght out of the catalog ...electronic or carb'd, however you like 'em. Also, many states (23 +/- at last count now accept such new 'repro' vehicles for vintage registrations (i.e. as a '67), so no emissions worries, etc. SEMA has been working that legislative turf very efectively over the past several years.

Good luck!

Dan

• 1 month later...

Surprisingly enough, I do. The Chairman of our company (car nut) has an Eleanor replica from these guys. The car was built top-notch, and he loves it (doesnt drive it much). My only fault with the car (been in it once) is that it is not a very streetable car. His has a race-built engine in it (not sure what options they have) and I found it a bit rough for my liking.

I'm sure that they can tone it down a bit and make it driveable (have not looked into their services much), but as far as fit, finish, look, and quality this car was perfect.

Archived