TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Speeding ticket on I90, off North Bend, WA. Strange Encounter!

Doug-GT500

I have a 100% clean driving history.

I was just cruising on the interstate and not really going fast. As I past a cop car, he came out and followed me. He only turned on his siren after about 3 mins. Little confusing.

I am quite sure I wasn't speeding at that time.

When he stopped me, 1st thing he asked is if my radar detects laser. I replied I don't know.

He then asked for me licence and reg and went away. When he came back, he told me that since I am still on temporay registration, I had to have it displayed on my rear window. He then said my dealer probably put it in front because my was a vert.

He then said that he shot me twice with a laser and clocked my speed around 85 & 86, on a 70 zone. He said is going to write me a ticket for 10 over @80mph.

When I said I was not speeding, he said I know, your car is a shelby and its fast like a rocket. If you were speeding, I would probably have caught you at over 130mph. He then handed me the ticket and asked me to drive safe.

The next day, I was driving on interstate again and this time, my radar kicked in the Laser alert as I passed by another cop car.

I am now thinking the cop pulled me over because I did not have my permanent plates and the temp (paper) registration was pasted on the front windshield and he could not see it. And that he did not really shoot me with a laser.

On the ticket where he states my vehicle speed and zone speed, there is the check box "SMD". Also, there is the notes on the right side of that outside the form, there is the writing L129c, 2/3, 85, 1039 ft. Like to find out what that means.

Since this is my 1st ticket ever, I am not sure if contesting it would result in getting it worse. Advise from you folks would really be appreciated. Also, the fact that:

1. police did not stop me immediately after pulling out of the center divide and followed me for few mins. If he already clocked me, he would turn on sirens the moment he pulled out
  2. police made comments like my car fast like a rocket and responded that if I was speeding, he probably would have caught me over 130mph. Is the police suppose to make statements like this? I felt like I was being discriminated upon because I drive a fast car-shelby gt500.
  3. the fact that he referred to my temp plate being taped to the front window instead of the back, could it be that he was only pulling me over for that and later decide to write me a traffic speeding ticket?

Apart from advice on whether to contest this ticket, I also like to find out what getting a 10 over ticket affects insurance or not.

Please PM is if the topic is sensitive.

Thanks so much!

Aside from fighting the ticket one option is to take the one day driving school class and keep it off your record. You will have to check what this entails for your State. Typically, driving school class is offered as an option to keep tickets from appearing on your driving record and preventing your insurance rates to go up.

If you choose to fight it then hope the cop just doesn't show up to court where the case can be thrown out.

If the cop shows up it will be hard to beat because in most cases the court accepts the cop's word over your word. Sometimes you can still beat it, but it all comes down to how well you can present your case.

I was just cruising on the interstate and not really going fast. As I past a cop car, he came out and followed me. He only turned on his siren after about 3 mins. Little confusing.

When he stopped me, 1st thing he asked is if my radar detects laser. I replied I don't know.

He then asked for me licence and reg and went away. When he came back, he told me that since I am still on temporay registration, I had to have it displayed on my rear window. He then said my dealer probably put it in front because my was a vert.

He then said that he shot me twice with a laser and clocked my speed around 85 & 86, on a 70 zone. He said is going to write me a ticket for 10 over @80mph.

When I said I was not speeding, he said I know, your car is a shelby and its fast like a rocket. If you were speeding, I would probably have caught you at over 130mph. He then handed me the ticket and asked me to drive safe.

The next day, I was driving on interstate again and this time, my radar kicked in the Laser alert as I passed by another cop car.

I am now thinking the cop pulled me over because I did not have my permanent plates and the temp (paper) registration was pasted on the front windshield and he could not see it. And that he did not really shoot me with a laser.

On the ticket where he states my vehicle speed and zone speed, there is the check box "SMD". Also, there is the notes on the right side of that outside the form, there is the writing L129c, 2/3, 85, 1039 ft. Like to find out what that means.

Since this is my 1st ticket ever, I am not sure if contesting it would result in getting it worse. Advise from you folks would really be appreciated. Also, the fact that:

1. police did not stop me immediately after pulling out of the center divide and followed me for few mins. If he already clocked me, he would turn on sirens the moment he pulled out

2. police made comments like my car fast like a rocket and responded that if I was speeding, he probably would have caught me over 130mph. Is the police suppose to make statements like this? I felt like I was being discriminated upon because I drive a fast car-shelby gt500.

3. the fact that he referred to my temp plate being taped to the front window instead of the back, could it be that he was only pulling me over for that and later decide to write me a traffic speeding ticket?

Apart from advice on whether to contest this ticket, I also like to find out what getting a 10 over ticket affects insurance or not.

Thanks so much!

police often don't stop people right away. There are many reasons for this. Often it's to run your plate, but in your case he obviously couldn't. His statements are uncalled for, but unfortunately, unless you had the piece of mind to call 911 just as he walked up and then hide your phone (they record all calls), you're outta luck...he'll deny it. You mention being discriminated against. Keep in mind that discrimination is not illegal...I don't know where people get that idea. Discrimination in the workplace, based on age, gender, or ethnicity is usually illegal...but based on the car you drive is not.

My advice would be to go to court and plead no lo contendre (no contest). This means you are not saying your innocent, but that you either dispute some of the facts or believe there are extenuating circumstances. This gives you a chance to tell the judge all the things you mention here.

My experience is that those who do this get their fines reduced. It is risky, as it's possible they may not reduce your fine, and also charge you court costs.

Good luck.

Dave

Doug, I'm quite familiar with I-90, used to work in North Bend. I would get pulled over at least once a month. They put the rookie State Patrol out there. One time they gave me a Breathalyzer test 5 min. after I got off work, pulls me over, immediately asks me if I've been drinking. My response is are you serious? His response is yes, you smell like alcohol. Yes I've drinking......coffee all day long. :hysterical2: . So he says you won't mind taking a breathalyzer test? At this point I'm pissed and thought about pushing the issue by refusing and let them haul me in. But I thought differently and said sure. Take the test and with a dumb look on his face, says you haven't been drinking at all. Well duh!!! Over and over I would be pulled over for the dumbest things, dim tail lights the best one was driving side by side, fully marked, sirens and badged Stater for 3 miles. He pulls in behind me, hits his blues and tells me I was doing 72 in a 70, then says I'm not going to give you a ticket. License and registration, please. I could go on all night. They use Air Patrol from Ken's truck town to Preston. It's just a really bad area. This is an area where you drive 68 mph. You might still get pulled over. My advice is contest it, because you could at least get reduced. Because whatever you say to the court, it's your word against his. It will probably be in the Issaquah or Bellevue court system, haven't had the best of luck in either.

Good luck,

Dave

Doug,

Talk to your insurance Co. I have farmers and 1 ticket didn't do anything to my rates. I got my 1st ticket in 15 years last year going 62 in a 50 on my way to Church on a Sunday morning. :banghead:

My rates never did change for that ticket. They have 1 freebe I think. The next one I am sure will make up for the difference.

My new radar detector has saved me 3 times. :happy feet:

th_Radardetector.jpg

Doug,

Talk to your insurance Co. I have farmers and 1 ticket didn't do anything to my rates. I got my 1st ticket in 15 years last year going 62 in a 50 on my way to Church on a Sunday morning. :banghead:

My rates never did change for that ticket. They have 1 freebe I think. The next one I am sure will make up for the difference.

My new radar detector has saved me 3 times. :happy feet:

th_Radardetector.jpg

Well, well. Look who shows up tonight.

HSURB

Well, well. Look who shows up tonight.

HSURB

Today was busy doing house chores.

1. Drain and winterize underground spinkler system.

2. Mow an acre of grass. ( Last one of the season, I hope)

3. Edge.

4. Powerwash riding mower and deck.

5. Drain shop exterior hose bib & winterize.

6. Put foundation plug vents and hose bib cups on.

My house is now ready for cold winter. My 13 year old son was a big help today. :happy feet:

Today was busy doing house chores.

1. Drain and winterize underground spinkler system.

2. Mow an acre of grass. ( Last one of the season, I hope)

3. Edge.

4. Powerwash riding mower and deck.

5. Drain shop exterior hose bib & winterize.

6. Put foundation plug vents and hose bib cups on.

My house is now ready for cold winter. My 13 year old son was a big help today. :happy feet:

Winterize?

How cold does it get there on the west coast?

Do you ice your dash in your car to? :hysterical:

police often don't stop people right away. There are many reasons for this. Often it's to run your plate, but in your case he obviously couldn't. His statements are uncalled for, but unfortunately, unless you had the piece of mind to call 911 just as he walked up and then hide your phone (they record all calls), you're outta luck...he'll deny it. You mention being discriminated against. Keep in mind that discrimination is not illegal...I don't know where people get that idea. Discrimination in the workplace, based on age, gender, or ethnicity is usually illegal...but based on the car you drive is not.

My advice would be to go to court and plead no lo contendre (no contest). This means you are not saying your innocent, but that you either dispute some of the facts or believe there are extenuating circumstances. This gives you a chance to tell the judge all the things you mention here.

My experience is that those who do this get their fines reduced. It is risky, as it's possible they may not reduce your fine, and also charge you court costs.

Good luck.

Dave

Hi Dave

yes, the cop that pulled me seemed rather young.

Its not really his word against mine as I had a co-worker in the car when he made all those remarks about the Shelby being a very fast car, and that if I was speeding, he would have caught me at over 130mph. He also commented on the fact that have a brand new car and my temp plates were not put on the right place, I responded that mine is a convertible and the plates are not visible from rear window with top down. He then agreed and said dealer problaby put it there but its incorrect and I should still have it in my rear window as he can't see it.

For the witness on what he said, only issue is my co-worker works in Asia and was in US for a biz trip. But nothing stoping me from asking for a written statement to back me up in court.

What really concerns me is the handwriting on the ticket on the side. L129c, 2/3, 85, 1039 ft. Is this his notes from the Radar? Is it possible that my radar detector did not pick up the Laser? I really dont think I was speeding, but then 10 over is really not a whole lot.

When you said to go fight it, are you suggesting I check the "Contest" box or the "Mitigate" box?

Since this is my 1st encounter with the traffic cops, really hope to get advise and suggestions. Also, I really feel that the cop singled out my car because it was a shelby with racing stripes, and there were not plates at that time. But then, not sure if this is something that I can use in my defense in court.

Thanks to all for the guidance.

Hey good luck with your ticket. I have read some where that this guys son got a ticket for speeding and the car he was driving had a GPS unit in it and it tracks speed and some other stuff and he was going to take it to court to prove that he was not speeding. Has anyone heard of that. If the ticket is thrown out because of the GPS unit we better all get one.

They always put the young cops out there. I lived there for a couple years and it was like I had a Neon Sign on my forehead, "Pull Me Over". State and County both are bad in that area. I'm almost positive you'll have to go to Issaquah for court and if it was me, I would just pay the ticket and move on. Issaquah won't give you much slack.

I was driving west on I-90 in my GT 500 from Spokane yesterday. Thanks for keeping the WSP busy while I passed.

Just kidding. I know the area, everybody drives 80+ in that area.

I got a ticket in Fircrest, near Tacoma. First one in 25 years and the cop said pay the ticket and if I keep my nose clean for 4 months it will not go on my record.

I don't know if that is a state thing or that just applies to Fircrest.

Good luck!

Sorry to hear about your encounter Doug. I live in North Bend so I know how the WSP works in this area. I am Mr. Cruise Control on I-90. They will leave you alone if ya stay under 77ish. Any more than that and they will write-cha.

Check the box that says you would like to contest the ticket and send it in. Explain to the Judge you had no idea you were going that fast :dreamy: because the car is new to you. You won't get the ticket off your record, but the fine will be reduced. If ya want to fight it outright get a lawyer and have him work some magic.

If this is your first ticket ever you stand a better chance.

Next time you're in North Bend stop at the Shell station at Exit 32!

Bryan

• 2 weeks later...

Doug, I've been free of tickets for 10 years now, but I used to get them all the time here in the Seattle-Tacoma area. Here is my advice from personal experience...

Contest the ticket. Request that the officer be at the hearing, but only if he was in a police car. Motorcycle cops go to every hearing when they're requested, while car cops seldom do. If he no-shows, then the judge only has your testimony (regardless of the notes the officer wrote on the back of his copy of the ticket), so you win by default and the ticket is dismissed.

If the officer shows for the hearing (worst case scenario), then you can still mitigate and get a reduced fine, but the ticket still goes on your record. Most insurance carriers allow 1 ticket without raising rates.

I hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

Contest the ticket. When you're in the court room ask the officer, if he shows up, when was the last time he had he radar equipment "checked". The key word is "CHECKED". If he is a young smart a$$ and know it all, hopefully he will tell the Judge using the word "checked" (ie) Your Honor my radar equipment was checked on such and such date. Then you should have the little $hit by his balls.

The key word "Checked" is very important here because it does not mean Caliberated which is the correct word you hope he doens't use.

Now your defense is "Your Honor the word "checked" does not mean "Caliberated" Which means the radar gun may have been out of adjustment and the Judge should dismiss the case.

I had this happen to me and my Attorney used the same words and it didn't take the Judge more than 1 seconds to blurt out the word dismissed, end of story.

Good Luck

Aside from fighting the ticket one option is to take the one day driving school class and keep it off your record. You will have to check what this entails for your State. Typically, driving school class is offered as an option to keep tickets from appearing on your driving record and preventing your insurance rates to go up.

If you choose to fight it then hope the cop just doesn't show up to court where the case can be thrown out.

If the cop shows up it will be hard to beat because in most cases the court accepts the cop's word over your word. Sometimes you can still beat it, but it all comes down to how well you can present your case.

+1... My dad is a traffic judge and he hears all the BS and antics about the cop messing up. Rarely does anyone get off on the BS angles. Even if the cop doesn't show up, depending on the Judges attitude he can have you come back.

Call 1-800citation.

or visit their web site www.ticketclinic.com

Don't Pay it, Don't plea it, do give it to the ticket clinic and you will be amazed at what they can do for you.

Meckonica@bellsouth.net

07XL0226

# 2 of 15

40th Vert with snake upgrade

Thanks so much!

Archived