TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aftermarket Parts and Modifications

SteelSteeds

I'm sure that many of you are like me, and have a long list of things you want to change or improve on your GT 500. This is partially fueled by this forum, and reading about all the cool things others have found, made or purchased. So, the other day two things occurred to me:

We are duplicating a lot of effort looking for items and price checking. I think a separate forum, or at least a sticky, to recommend the best places to find items and/or for the best prices on items, would be a great resource.

In the same vein, I'd love to see a forum or sticky for product reviews. We've got a lot of them, but they are quite scattered throughout all of the forums, and if you are looking for opinions on a specific item, searching can be quite time consuming.

In my research, I'm finding that a lot of vendors sell what appears to be the same product. I remember talking to Grabber about the hood struts, and how he peeled the label off his and found them to be the same struts someone else had, with just a different label on them. I've found probably 5 places selling hood struts, and all but one look identical. This would be great info too.

Finally, I think a central place to look at installed pictures of aftermarket items would be a big help in deciding what to get. For example, I'm considering rear window louvers, and have found four places selling them so far. Of those four, there seem to be two styles, an angular edged one, and a rounded edged one. I like the rounded ones that Cervini's and MRT are selling (possibly the same?), but can't find a good picture of one of those installed. Seeing good pix on someone's car would be invaluable.

Thanks to all who made it though yet another of my long-winded posts. I'm a pretty quiet guy in person, I think I make up for it when I have a keyboard in front of me.

Not a bad idea at all, though I must admit that when I have PMed members on here I have always got a fast and helpful response but I can see how having a specific place to look would help the newbies like me bothering our more experienced members. One other thought.... based on my total newblet position on mods etc it would be nice to have Mods sectioned to Drag, Track and Street as trying to figure out which would be best for my personal use can be difficult, again this would be helpful to just not have to bother our members and vendors too much and allow us to at least have some idea of what we wanted before pestering for advice :)

I concur! To be honest I find the mods on this forum to run more toward the top end, meaning major mods that the average Joe (sorry Joe G) would not do or spend time on just because we do not wish to run tracks. I love my 500HP, and see no need to mod to 600 or 700 and so on! If I do a mod it will be to dress the car some, and maybe a slight mod (FRPP CAI) just to get a little more tune out of it. I drive only weekend and pleasure and will never see a track, and as it is now with 500HP, can't keep the car under legal limits. So, it would be nice to categorize the mods, as suggested, to gear toward specific needs areas. I am all for it!

We are duplicating a lot of effort looking for items and price checking. I think a separate forum, or at least a sticky, to recommend the best places to find items and/or for the best prices on items, would be a great resource.

I thought about that and I have such a list, but it's political suicide to post it. Vendors who are left off will get upset, and people will disagree about who the good vendors are. Go ahead and try it if you like, but I think you'll find you'll get flamed more than a chain smoker's upper lip.

:extinguish:

AD

I thought about that and I have such a list, but it's political suicide to post it. Vendors who are left off will get upset, and people will disagree about who the good vendors are. Go ahead and try it if you like, but I think you'll find you'll get flamed more than a chain smoker's upper lip.

AD

Yeah. What he said. " Unfortunately "

AD

Har har, he has a point, heck I just mention Turtle Wax ice a few times and still have bus tire marks on my back :hysterical:

AD

Agree - unless it's just: product, company, price

Anything else would get messy quickly. Heck, BadBoy tried to start one about "good vendors" and didn't get many replies at all.

On another note - care to email me that list you have Dave? I think you still have my email, no? I'll keep it to myself, promise.

I concur! To be honest I find the mods on this forum to run more toward the top end, meaning major mods that the average Joe (sorry Joe G) would not do or spend time on just because we do not wish to run tracks. I love my 500HP, and see no need to mod to 600 or 700 and so on! If I do a mod it will be to dress the car some, and maybe a slight mod (FRPP CAI) just to get a little more tune out of it. I drive only weekend and pleasure and will never see a track, and as it is now with 500HP, can't keep the car under legal limits. So, it would be nice to categorize the mods, as suggested, to gear toward specific needs areas. I am all for it!

So, I take it that you think a total suspension swap is MAJOR ?

:hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2:

I resemble that remark :superhero:

AD

Yeah, I can see your point Dave. However, I think we could successfully have a section for people to post photos of their mods, along with vendor and price information, as well as a basic review of the mod. Something along the lines of how hard was it to install, improvement over stock, stuff like that. I know there would be some flames involved by some people, but that seems to be the case no matter WHAT the topic is.

By the way, I've been admiring your taillight trim. Did you go with the satin or chrome? You know my next couple of questions... :hysterical:

Seriously though, the satin taillight trim is on my list for my '08 Alloy coupe.

Yeah, I can see your point Dave. However, I think we could successfully have a section for people to post photos of their mods, along with vendor and price information, as well as a basic review of the mod. Something along the lines of how hard was it to install, improvement over stock, stuff like that. I know there would be some flames involved by some people, but that seems to be the case no matter WHAT the topic is.

By the way, I've been admiring your taillight trim. Did you go with the satin or chrome? You know my next couple of questions... :hysterical:

Seriously though, the satin taillight trim is on my list for my '08 Alloy coupe.

Satin. PM sent.

Archived