TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Smoked GT 500 Lights

Alexandros

Presently my GT 500y in shop for smoked lights all around, just like the SS. let me tell you and it is not cheap. Once finished pics will follow.

pool pix :happy feet:

Where did you get the smoked lenses?

I did not buy them. The lights were removed from the entire car and smoked by paint, with 4 coats of flat black and 5 coats of white non-yellow clear. The entire process takes up to a weak and costs about 100.00 a light so the shelby has 11 lights for a total of 1000.00. I saw them yesterday and they look awesome. Please be careful for sloppy and cheap products. I have seen alot of crap out there.

Alexandros

I did not buy them. The lights were removed from the entire car and smoked by paint, with 4 coats of flat black and 5 coats of white non-yellow clear. The entire process takes up to a weak and costs about 100.00 a light so the shelby has 11 lights for a total of 1000.00. I saw them yesterday and they look awesome. Please be careful for sloppy and cheap products. I have seen alot of crap out there.

Alexandros

Wow, thats intense... :spend:

I can not wait to see the results! I bet this will look AWSOME! Can you say who did it or what kind of shop? Is it a body shop or what? i wouldn't even know where to go for that.

+1

would like to get for my alloy, since my stripes are going to be painted black in 3 weeksto go with my black razors.

td

I can not wait to see the results! I bet this will look AWSOME! Can you say who did it or what kind of shop? Is it a body shop or what? i wouldn't even know where to go for that.

It is in a body shop that specially deals in esthetics of fine cars only. they use the best and expensive products. I saw the results and it looks like it came from the factory.The lights have a mirror shine on the plastic. If anyone is interested i'll ask how the process is done step by step process.

It is in a body shop that specially deals in esthetics of fine cars only. they use the best and expensive products. I saw the results and it looks like it came from the factory.The lights have a mirror shine on the plastic. If anyone is interested i'll ask how the process is done step by step process.

Thanks - I'll have to see if anyplace around Indy does that sort of thing. I'd love to darken the lights. Will they still work well at night?

Thanks - I'll have to see if anyplace around Indy does that sort of thing. I'd love to darken the lights. Will they still work well at night?

Getting the car soon and i'll let you guys know about the results. But they do definitely look mean. Pics will follow soon. Front head lights will need HIDs for a nicer look. We'll take it one thing at a time.

Alexandros

I have had several lights smoked, You just clean them, scuff them with scotchbrite and shoot them with automotive clear coat with black tinting added to it. The nice thing is if you scratch the light you can buff it out just like paint on the car. The lights show up fine through the tint! I doing my Shelby this winter along with painting the mirrors. The $1000 seems a little steep. I've got my taillights done in the past for $100 that included the third brake light as well.

I have had several lights smoked, You just clean them, scuff them with scotchbrite and shoot them with automotive clear coat with black tinting added to it. The nice thing is if you scratch the light you can buff it out just like paint on the car. The lights show up fine through the tint! I doing my Shelby this winter along with painting the mirrors. The $1000 seems a little steep. I've got my taillights done in the past for $100 that included the third brake light as well.

My lights is a total different process of smoking them.

Any pictures yet? Inquiring minds.....

Coming soon guys and gals, I promise once finished. Explication how is it done and pics, for those of you that what to do them. The lights have a mirror finish and smooth as a babys behind.

Thanks,

Alexandros

The process is:Front bumber has to be removed entirely to facilitate the access to the lights and not to bend nor break anything. Then the lights have to be cleaned with rubbing alcool. Then tape and cover the back of the lights. Do not and I repeat do not take the bulbs out of the sockets because some paint will go inside the lens. Smoke them with high quality ferrari paint not a can of spray can paint from the local store. Each coat has to be dry. Coats vary on the shade desired. Then after they dry for one day under medium warm light. NO SANDING YET........ Then a clear non-yellow clear coat that dries to a mirror like plastic. 5 coats of clear was done on all the lights. Then after two days of drying, wet sandpaper to remove any bumps or imperfections on the lights... Then buffed with scratch and swirl removal compound... Then buffed with a sealer 3M silicone liquid and that is it.

That is why it is so expensive. An expert has to do it so the smoke lens can be all the same degree of darkness all over. Of couse you can get it done for 200.00 for all 11 lights ya but it looks like crap. You can see the results in the photos.

Thank you for your interest.

Alexandros

Love the look! I bet with HID lights this will be really good. I'd be interested in the effects on night driving as it seems like it really dims the lights. In the day it looks great though.

Thank you, that is my next step for the lights. But really expensive.

Thank you, that is my next step for the lights. But really expensive.

You complain about the expense of HIDs in the same thread where you talk about spending $1000 to have your light lenses tinted. That's funny.

Really, I'm just kidding you. I love the look of the smoked lenses.

I wonder if you might be able to accomplish the same thing using window tint. It would probably be extremely difficult to do without it looking like crap.

You complain about the expense of HIDs in the same thread where you talk about spending $1000 to have your light lenses tinted. That's funny.

Really, I'm just kidding you. I love the look of the smoked lenses.

I wonder if you might be able to accomplish the same thing using window tint. It would probably be extremely difficult to do without it looking like crap.

This type of smoking process only works on plastic and not glass.

Another way to have this done is to find a really nice shop that does clear bra work. I have a guy local who runs his on business as he use to work for 3m. He uses a really high end film and comes out and cuts each piece exact to the lenses. It looks great and will protect the lights from rocks, dirt, uv rays, ect. That is another option that will not cost as much.

Another way to have this done is to find a really nice shop that does clear bra work. I have a guy local who runs his on business as he use to work for 3m. He uses a really high end film and comes out and cuts each piece exact to the lenses. It looks great and will protect the lights from rocks, dirt, uv rays, ect. That is another option that will not cost as much.

How long does the 3M last on the lights?

Love the look! I bet with HID lights this will be really good. I'd be interested in the effects on night driving as it seems like it really dims the lights. In the day it looks great though.

I think it looks pretty cool however me having an all black car already, I LOVE the look of the HID lights as it not only adds some contrast but give it a mean look. I do think 1000 is steep and for that money I would go with the FRPP CAI. Just my .02 But I do like it on your car and color.

+1

The process is:Front bumber has to be removed entirely to facilitate the access to the lights and not to bend nor break anything. Then the lights have to be cleaned with rubbing alcool. Then tape and cover the back of the lights. Do not and I repeat do not take the bulbs out of the sockets because some paint will go inside the lens. Smoke them with high quality ferrari paint not a can of spray can paint from the local store. Each coat has to be dry. Coats vary on the shade desired. Then after they dry for one day under medium warm light. NO SANDING YET........ Then a clear non-yellow clear coat that dries to a mirror like plastic. 5 coats of clear was done on all the lights. Then after two days of drying, wet sandpaper to remove any bumps or imperfections on the lights... Then buffed with scratch and swirl removal compound... Then buffed with a sealer 3M silicone liquid and that is it.

That is why it is so expensive. An expert has to do it so the smoke lens can be all the same degree of darkness all over. Of couse you can get it done for 200.00 for all 11 lights ya but it looks like crap. You can see the results in the photos.

Thank you for your interest.

Looks great! :superhero: So how much WEIGHT in many layers of paint did this mod add :hysterical: now you just added the first slow mod to a Shelby :hysterical2:

• 2 months later...

OK. I tried to be a well-behaved newbie here and search for an existing thread on 'smoked tailight covers' instead of being lazy and starting a new thread. For $50 on americanmuscle.com I purchased these 2 smoked tailight covers. I originally bought them for my GT but that was traded away for my GT500. Fortunately, the tailight covers fit either model. See the photos below. I installed only one of them for comparative purposes (when the trunk is closed the tailight cover does not require the 3m adhesive to be in place).

I prefer the smoked tailight look - especially on the Grabber Orange color such as mine, which does not mix well with the red tailights in my opinion.

Thoughts on how it looks?

Will I be inviting the cops?

smokedtl01.jpg

smokedtl02.jpg

smokedtl03.jpg

smokedtl04.jpg

smokedtl05.jpg

Archived