TEAM SHELBY FORUM

HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM

Mustang5

Ok guys, it is finally coming together. I have been whining about the dreaded engine tick for 5 months now. I am finally seeing some pain amongst the rest of you. My tick showed up on the driver side of the engine at 1200 miles and got worse with time. At 3000 miles Ford agreed to replace all of my valve lash adjusters (lifters). When I picked the car up the original tick had been fixed, but I now had a new and slightly different tick. The new tick is on the passenger side of the car and lower in the block as many of you have described. The difference with the new tick is that it has not changed with the addition of 2000 more miles. On a previous post titled engine tick revisited, Kirkm posted an audio/video of his car and his engine tick. My new tick is the same exact one that Kirkm has. I think we need to run some type of survey among our members or at least have everyone who reads this post respond with yes I have the same tick or no I don't, and see what percentage of us have the same tick that Kirkm and I have.

Is this noise normal as several Ford dealers have told some of you or is a valve lash adjuster problem just now surfacing? Personally I am embarassed by the noise and it detracts greatly from an otherwise awesome car.

Ok guys, it is finally coming together. I have been whining about the dreaded engine tick for 5 months now. I am finally seeing some pain amongst the rest of you. My tick showed up on the driver side of the engine at 1200 miles and got worse with time. At 3000 miles Ford agreed to replace all of my valve lash adjusters (lifters). When I picked the car up the original tick had been fixed, but I now had a new and slightly different tick. The new tick is on the passenger side of the car and lower in the block as many of you have described. The difference with the new tick is that it has not changed with the addition of 2000 more miles. On a previous post titled engine tick revisited, Kirkm posted an audio/video of his car and his engine tick. My new tick is the same exact one that Kirkm has. I think we need to run some type of survey among our members or at least have everyone who reads this post respond with yes I have the same tick or no I don't, and see what percentage of us have the same tick that Kirkm and I have.

Is this noise normal as several Ford dealers have told some of you or is a valve lash adjuster problem just now surfacing? Personally I am embarassed by the noise and it detracts greatly from an otherwise awesome car.

Silly question, did you get a receipt for the new lifters?

Silly question, did you get a receipt for the new lifters?

Yes I do. I'm going to meet with my local Ford Field Engineer at my convenience. I hope to get some ammo from you guys before I make the appointment. So starting with the two of you that have already commented, will you please respond whether you have the dreaded tick or not so we can start working up some percentages.

Thanks,

Rob

Yes I do. I'm going to meet with my local Ford Field Engineer at my convenience. I hope to get some ammo from you guys before I make the appointment. So starting with the two of you that have already commented, will you please respond whether you have the dreaded tick or not so we can start working up some percentages.

Thanks,

Rob

Mine has zero ticking, although it did it one time on start up for about 10 seconds until I shut her off. I have personally listened to several GT500's and none of them were ticking. The changing of your ticking from one part of the engine to another doesn't make any sense to me, unless you got another bad lifter in the second batch? My oil pressure indicator needle is normally 3/4 the way up, is yours this way too? Man, I'd rather change a bad clutch. I'm sure glad your car is under warranty and hope Ford gets this fixed soon. Please let us know how you get this resolved.

Mine has zero ticking, although it did it one time on start up for about 10 seconds until I shut her off. I have personally listened to several GT500's and none of them were ticking. The changing of your ticking from one part of the engine to another doesn't make any sense to me, unless you got another bad lifter in the second batch? My oil pressure indicator needle is normally 3/4 the way up, is yours this way too? Man, I'd rather change a bad clutch. I'm sure glad your car is under warranty and hope Ford gets this fixed soon. Please let us know how you get this resolved.

That's exactly what I think happened. They changed out all the lifters and put a marginal one like a bunch of us have back in on the other bank.

does it occur at a specific RPM?

The tick is heard primarily at idle. If I bring the rpm up off idle to say 1100 or 1200 rpm I can hear the rythem of the tick pick up with engine speed. I never hear it any other time. It's alway after the car has been driven at least 10-15 miles or more, or after doing losts of stop and go type driving like around town when your in and out of stores.

See if you can have another member be there with his car when the Ford Engineer comes so you can say listen to this one that has the "tick" & this one that doesn't.

That's a good idea, I have listened to 3 cars locally that do not tick.

That's exactly what I think happened. They changed out all the lifters and put a marginal one like a bunch of us have back in on the other bank.

By the way one of the things Ford did to trouble shoot was to check the oil pressure in the engine. From the way they described it they were able to get measurements in several locations to include the head. All was normal!

7,500 miles and mine doesn't tick.

How did you break yours in?

I let it all hang out from the get go.

I've got 9400 on mine, I'm half deaf, but not heard any ticks. Yall have me paranoid now. Once a week I put my ear to each fender and on the hood vents, can only hear the belt whine. My family thinks I'm crazy, they think I'm talking to my car. I haven't told them yet, but my baby is talking.

Scott

I've got 9400 on mine, I'm half deaf, but not heard any ticks. Yall have me paranoid now. Once a week I put my ear to each fender and on the hood vents, can only hear the belt whine. My family thinks I'm crazy, they think I'm talking to my car. I haven't told them yet, but my baby is talking.

Scott

Scott,

If its any consolation. When I was in your car in Orlando I did not hear a tick.

Roger

I don't think mine has the "tick" but I'm not sure. At idle you can hear what I think is the injectors firing, which sounds like ticking, rev the motor and all you hear is SC whine......

It does sound less than threatening and kinda crappy when showing it off while parked....not like the lopey rumble I'd rather hear

Scott

You're the Car Whisperer...

I have 8,800 miles on mine (Build date 6/22/06), and no ticks. I'm guessing they rules out exhaust leak at the manifold, with the metal expansion when hot? The right side may have been masked by the louder left side, and once fixed, the right side becomes noticable. Just thinking out loud...

After viewing/listening to the clips on the other thread, I don't have the "tick" (insert heavy sigh of relief here). The way it sounds and the intermittent nature of it reminds me of the old "lazy lifter" problem from back in the push rod days...

I sure hope there is a logical and satisfactory solution forthcoming from our friends at Ford

I drove mine on Saturday for the first time in 3 weeks. I was listening for a tick but instead heard a knock from the rear. Almost like something was moving back and forth in the trunk. Hopefully I will track it down this weekend. I am hoping it is the exhaust pipe or something easy.

Archived