TEAM SHELBY FORUM

how many s197s with automatics?

rdiaz89

just curious to see how many there are (im included)

Not sure that would be an easy number to get since they are being built on a daily basis. Its a LARGE number though. Left a Ford dealership to come to work here. The majority of all Mustangs on the lot were automatics. The ratio was probably 8 out of 10 cars were autos.

Page

Ford has constrained the % of S197 GT's with manual transmission due to supplier constraints for the entire S197 run (2005-8). When I am ordering our new Mustangs, I have to order mostly automatics - typically 60-80% on any given week's allocation.

I have an 07 GT Automatic (after owning 5 manual Mustangs), and am happier with it than I would have ever guessed.

Overall, it's probably a safe bet that about 2/3 of the S197 GT's are automatics, while about 3/4 of the S197 V6's are automatics.

I wouldn't own a Mustang without a manual shift! :shift: Sports cars aren't supposed to be automatics. :stop:

True, but successful bracket racers (dragstrip) know the automatic is best. I've owned 5 stick shift Mustangs, so my 07 GT is the first automatic Mustang I've ever owned. No regrets. I believe I can pedal a stick shift car much better than the average driver/racer, but looking back over my 25 years drag racing at the same track, I've only won money and trophies in my cars with automatics (they are much more consistent for bracket racing).

Where the manual trans shines is in road racing, autocrossing, canyon blasts, back roads, and fun pounding through the gears. The automatic shines in daily commuting and bracket racing, which is what mine tends to be doing most as it's a daily driver and weekend warrior.

Yea, my brother has been driving automatics for a while now because he says he can't take manuals in rush hour traffic and doesn't understand why I still drive a manual. But I've driven in the same rush hour traffic and don't even think twice about it. For me I love driving a stick shift and unless I'm forced into it I won't own an automatic especially in my stang. When I was buying my stang the first thing I looked at was auto or stick, if it was auto I didn't even consider it. Like you said, I love pounding the gears even as this is my daily driver. To me that's what driving is all about. Every day I get in my stang it puts a smile on my face. :yahoo: Love driving that thing. :drool: Funnest car I've ever owned. :happy feet:

I know some people like their automatics but I like my stick shift just the same. :shift:

I drove 13-16 speed Big Trucks for 20 years in all sorts of traffic. I like the skill it takes to upshift and downshift smoothly.

If I had a Drag Car - auto.

Otherwise, I have fun changing gears - and heeling and toeing. It gets me "in the game." :happy feet:

Archived